Horezu Monastery

Location: Horezu, Wallachia Map

Constructed: 1690


Horezu Monastery is a Romanian Orthodox monastery situated in Horezu, Wallachia region in Romania. Horezu Monastery was constructed in 1690 by Prince Constantin Brâncoveanu. It is famous for its Brâncovenesc style architecture (named after the founder) and well preserved frescoes of saints, Bible scenes and other Christian themes. It was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The layout of the monastery consists of courtyard surrounded by monks cells and other buildings. The center of the monastery is taken by a single church of Saint Constantine, first Christian ruler, and Saint Helen (his mother). Beautiful frescoes inside were made by Greek master Constantine.


The cries of the nocturnal birds of prey (Romanian huhurezi), which were in the surrounding forests of the monastery, probably gave the place its name.

The monastery was founded in 1692 by the then Prince of Wallachia Constantin Brâncoveanu (1654-1714) and completed in 1709. Until 1862 it was a male monastery. After the monks were transferred to Bistriţa, nuns came to the monastery. 48 nuns run the plant where there is also a 50-bed rural hospital.

Built in Brâncoveanu style, the monastery has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1993. The monastery has been restored several times since 1827 and is a listed building.



Located on a hill, the monastery complex is surrounded by two fortifications. The outer a smaller wall surrounds the whole estate of the monastery with its hermitages. The second is formed on three sides by buildings of different height and in the east by a wall. The entrance to the monastery is on the south side by a bell tower, which is equipped with a massive wooden door with steel armored, equipped. The monastery church Sfinţii Împaraţi Constantin şi Elena in the middle of the complex built in a cross shape is 32 meters long, 14 meters high and was built 1693-1697. In the vestibule of the church are some tombs, most beautifully decorated with marble and provided with a carved cover for Prince Brâncoveanu, but does not fulfill its purpose. The large iconostasis is carved in linden wood and covered with gold.

The square chapel with an octagonal tower, whose windows are the light source of the chapel, is located on the west side opposite the entrance to the church and was built in 1697. The frescoes of the chapel were created from 1705 to 1706 and are still in good condition today.

In addition to the church in the monastery three chapels were built outside the monastery. To the east of the monastery is the small church Adormirea Maicii Domnului, founded in 1699 by Mrs. Maria - the wife of Prince Brâncoveanu - also known as Bolniţa, which is surrounded by a small ring wall. Here you can also see the ruins of the former infirmary. About 500 meters north of the monastery is the chapel of the Holy Apostles (built in 1698) and about 500 meters west, beyond the creek Romani, the chapel of St. Stephen (built in 1703). Both are listed buildings.