Arkhangelskoe or Arkhangelskoye Estate is situated
in the Moscow suburb Krasnogorsk, 20 km (12 mi) West of Moscow in Russia.
It is one of the most splendid residences constructed in the
18th century. Arkhangelskoe Estate was originally found in the 1660's when it was
owned by a nobleman Y.N. Odoevsky. From 1681 to 1703 the estate
belonged to M.Y. Cherkassky. It was later sold to the Gallitzin
family who owned it between 1703 and 1810. It was during their rule
Arkhangelskoe Estate got its main Grand Palace along with numerous
smaller buildings. The current palace was constructed in 1784 by the
orders of Nikolay Alekseevich Gallitzin. In 1810 the estate was sold
to Yusupov family. Prince Nikoli Yusupov was an avid art collector
who gathered a large collection of art from all over Europe and
Asia. After the Soviet Revolution of 1917 the palace was
nationalized by the government and turned into a museum.
The Grand Palace of Arkhangelskoe Estate was constructed in the
1780s under the supervision of the French architect Charles de
Gurney. in the 1790s another foreign architect, this time an Italian
D. Trombaro added three terraces with marble balustrades in front of
the palace. The terraces were decorated with flowerbeds, balustrades
were decorated with vases, statues, busts of ancient Greek and Roman
gods, philosophers and various heroes from the ancient mythology.
Large park that surrounded Arkhangelskoe Estate gave it fame of a
Stone Church of the Archangel Michael was built in the 1660s on the
site of the wooden church that dates back to the XVIth century.
Arkhangelskoe Estate theater was built in 1817-1818 under the
supervision of architect P. Gonzaga. The scenery and the curtain of
the famous Italian artist somehow survived to this day. Temple-tomb
"Colonnade" was constructed by the Yusupov nobleman clan. It was
intended for the elaborate burial of one of the Yusupov princes who
was killed in the duel. However, a breakout of World War I and
subsequent Russian Revolution of 1917 prevented it being used for
the intended purpose.
In 1919 Arkhangelskoe Estate was converted into a Historical and Art
Museum-Reserve. A unique part of the museum fund is a collection of
Western European (France, Italy, the Netherlands and many others)
paintings XVII-XIX centuries that were collected by the Yusupov
family. The art collection of the Russian art is relatively small
and consists mainly of works by serf masters. Additionally there
several items of historic furniture dating with XVIII-XIX centuries.
A large collection of books represented almost all existing branches
of knowledge (18 sections) in the early 20th century. Most of the
books were published in French.