Location: Ulitsa Yunosti 2 Map
Constructed: mid-18th century
Tel. (495) 370 0160
Subway: Ryazanskiy prospect, Vykhino
Open: mid- Apr- Sep: 10am- 6pm Wed- Sun
Oct- mid- Apr: 10am- 4pm Wed- Sun
Kuskovo Palace and surrounding parks is located in the suburbs of Moscow. Grandiose estate of Kuskovo was constructed by the orders of Count Sheremetyev. The architects for the mansion were Theodore Argunov and after 1763 it was taken over by A. Mironov. The interior of the main palace is decorated with paintings, stucco, gilding, mirrors and decorative fabrics. Much of the marble plates inside are not solid. They were made from a mixture of marble powder and flour mixed with water. Once the mixture dried out it gave an impression of a solid marble pieces. Kuskovo estate once housed open air theatre. Besides the park contains scattered buildings such as Chinese pavilion, the Hermitage, the grotto, Dutch and Italian houses with traditional interior of the time.
Kuskovo was mentioned for the first time at the
end of the 16th century and already as a possession of the
Sheremetevs. In 1623-1624, a wooden church, a boyar court, and
serfs' yards stood here. In the possession of the Sheremetevs,
Kuskovo remained for more than three hundred years, until 1917.
The village of Kuskovo as the patrimony of the Sheremetevs has been known since the 16th century. The marriage between the heirs of the Sheremetevs, Pyotr Borisovich, and the Cherkassky princes, Varvara Alekseevna, made it possible to unite the lands around Kuskov into a vast estate.
In the 1750s-1770s, according to the plan of Pyotr Sheremetev, an extensive estate with a palace, many "entertainment undertakings", a large park and ponds was created in Kuskovo. The creation of this ensemble is closely connected with the names of the fortress architects Fyodor Argunov and Alexei Mironov. The architectural complex was created in the early classic style of the middle-second half of the 18th century.
In those years, the Kuskovo estate spread over an area of 230 hectares (for comparison, now it occupies 26 hectares). This included - hunting grounds, picturesque surrounding fields, meadows, groves. A special decoration of the estate was a menagerie - a kind of zoo of that time - here you could see hares, wolves, foxes and even deer.
In the dammed part of the park, on the territory opposite from the Palace, a 300-meter canal left, which has survived to this day. The channel ended with a cascading fountain. The island has survived to this day - another decoration of the estate. In the XVIII century, it was a funny fortress with bastions. Comic battles were played out on the water surface of the pond for the amusement of the guests.
In 1751, the construction of ponds and bypass channels was also underway; the regular park and the Big Pond received the borders that still exist today. The landscape behind the Big Pond was also organized. "Veshnyakovskaya Perspective" continued the main compositional and planning axis of the estate, emphasized by an extended straight canal more than 300 meters long with cascades at the end, a birch perspective and closed with a light silhouette of an old church in Veshnyaki. To the east of this axis, a menagerie was laid out, cut through by two diagonal clearings with an arbor in the center. The diagonal clearing of the menagerie, the diagonal clearing of the western part symmetrical to it (“Kuskovsky clearing”) and the canal formed the three-beam part of the dam, in the center of which the palace was located. In the autumn of 1752, 700 linden trees were dug up in the Markov forests for planting in Kuskovo.
In the 1770s, under the leadership of Blanc, an “English garden Guy” with buildings was laid out to the north of the regular park. There were many buildings on its relatively small territory. Residential summer house of the count, called the "House of Solitude", which adjoined the dairy farm - "Metereya" and "Founder's Village" with four "village" houses. On the basis of the Geledenka river, a system of picturesque ponds was formed, united by a “fast stream”. The stream was cleared, deepened and lined with stones along the banks, branches and channels were made. Four reservoirs were called: Lokasinsky in the west, Long (Nameless), then - Round and in the east - Ozerok, the most "deep and natural". On the banks of the ponds there were pavilions, houses, Mount Snail with the figure of Diana, "Chinese Parasol", "Lion's Cave". Also on the territory of Guy were built wooden buildings of the Portrait Gallery and the Theater (1787).
In 1775, the palace was built, which dominates the architectural composition. Its layout corresponds to the fashionable enfilade arrangement of interiors, the doors of all rooms are on the same axis, the rooms open one after another. All rooms of the manor house are sequentially combined into three compositional groups.
The manor complex was designed for lavish receptions and entertainment. For these purposes, park pavilions and gazebos, a greenhouse and a cabinet of curiosities, a menagerie and a hunting lodge were built. There was a small flotilla of rowboats on the Kuskovsky pond. Spread over 230 hectares, the estate gathered up to 30 thousand guests on the days of especially solemn receptions.
Behind the Great Stone Conservatory was the English landscape park Guy, with labyrinths and other buildings. Among them were the Philosophical House, the Temple of Silence, an Indian hut, a haystack, a lion's cave, a shomier (hut in French), and a house of solitude in which P. B. Sheremetev died. To create this park, a lot of effort also had to be made: in certain places, trees matched in color and shape were planted, alleys were cut through.
Not far from the current intersection of Veshnyakovskaya and Yunosti streets was the famous Kuskovsky theater with 150 seats. In addition to the permanent theater, there was also an "air stage" in the garden of linden trellises with a large amphitheater for 80-100 seats. “Such an “air theater” was still in Neskuchnoye, the village of D.V. Golitsyn. The place where the air theater was located has been preserved to this day, it is located in the eastern part of the regular park.
On the estate, in those days, there were 17 ponds. “The ponds of Kuskov were full of expensive fish; there were so many fish that 2,000 crucians were caught at a time with a seine, and once a shell with pearls was taken out of the pond; in the old days, there were several fishing huts on the pond, there were yachts with boats and boats, there was an island with ruins, there were sailors in coffee and cherry-colored skipper caftans with white buttons, ”wrote Mikhail Pylyaev, an explorer of old Moscow.
A worthy setting for the palace complex is a regular park with beautiful ponds and marble sculptures.
In 1775 and 1787 Kuskovo was visited by Catherine II, the Polish king Stanislaw Poniatowski and the Austrian emperor Joseph II.
During the Patriotic War of 1812, Kuskovo was occupied by the corps of Marshal Michel Ney. Officers of the Napoleonic army were based in Kuskovo. Many valuables disappeared without a trace after the visit of the French troops. The woven wallpaper of the walls of the palace was torn off, the park sculpture was partially broken.
In the 1880s, the estate underwent reconstruction and improvement work. Sergei Dmitrievich Sheremetev invited civil engineer Nikolai Vladimirovich Sultanov, who had just graduated from the St. Petersburg Civil Engineering School. The Palace and all the park pavilions were repaired - Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Hermitage. On May 15, 1886, Emperor Alexander III visited Kuskovo with his wife Maria Feodorovna, the heir to the throne, Tsarevich Nikolai, Grand Dukes George, Alexei and Pavel Alexandrovich, Sergei Alexandrovich with his wife Elizaveta Feodorovna.
In the 20th century
In 1918, Kuskovo received the status of a museum-estate, the museum exhibitions included collections of porcelain, ceramics and glass from the State Museum of Ceramics, transferred to Kuskovo in 1932. During the Great Patriotic War, barracks were set up on the estate, in which cadets lived Veshnyaki of the Central School of Sniper Training Instructors. Since 1960, the Kuskovo estate has been within the boundaries of Moscow.
In 2017-2019, the museum underwent large-scale restoration work. In 2019, after restoration, the Grotto pavilion was opened. The shell decoration of the interiors, lost during the years of the existence of the monument, was most fully restored. Specialists of the All-Russian Art Research and Restoration Center (VKhNRTS) named after. I. E. Grabar, work was carried out on the restoration of “grotic” clay sculptures and narrative panels inlaid with shells, corals, and mother-of-pearl, which have no analogues in the museums of our country. It was the first comprehensive restoration of the entire collection of the pavilion in the entire hundred-year history of the museum (in the 20th century, work was limited only to maintaining the monument and conserving the shell decor).
The main value in the decoration of cabinets is the decoration of 24 types of tropical sea shells (Mediterranean and Black Seas, Indian, Atlantic and Pacific Oceans). For the first time, the shells of the Grotto were replenished, which presented a particular difficulty in identifying them and obtaining them in the required volume (some types of shells were listed in the Red Book).
In 2019, the restoration work of the Dutch House took place. Currently (September 2022), the American Greenhouse is undergoing restoration.
Palace/Great House (1769-1775)
The palace is the main building in the country pleasure estate of Count Pyotr Borisovich Sheremetev in Kuskovo. The “Big House”, as the palace was called in the 18th century, was built in 1769-1775 and was intended for a solemn reception of guests in the summer. Built of wood in the traditions of Russian architecture, it has two floors - front and mezzanines, on a high stone plinth, where wine cellars and utility rooms were located. The architect of the palace has not been precisely identified. It was built under the direction of Carl Blanc, using the drawings of the French architect Charles de Vailly. The Summer Palace of Count P. B. Sheremetev is a rare example of a country house that has completely preserved its architectural and spatial design, as well as original interior elements: wooden floors, stoves and fireplaces; decorative painting, wood carving and papier-mâché stucco; mirrors and lighting fixtures. Invited foreign artists, sculptors, carvers, as well as Russian free and serf craftsmen took part in the creation of the interiors.
The architecture of the manor house, built in the style of early Russian classicism, is at the same time typical of stone palace buildings of the second half of the 18th century. Its façade is adorned with three columned porticos: the central one is the largest and most solemn, the pediment of which is filled with magnificent wood carvings around the “PS” monogram under the count's crown; side porticos with arched (semicircular) pediments are decorated with carved military attributes. A central flight of white stone stairs and gently sloping ramps lead to the main entrance of the palace - descents for the entry of carriages. The ramps are flanked by figures of sphinxes - fantastic creatures with female heads and lion torsos.
In 1976-1983. – a comprehensive restoration of the interiors of the Palace was carried out. The artistic decoration and the furnishing complex were restored according to the inventories of the 1780-90s. According to the available samples and analogues, the woven decoration of walls and furniture, lost in the 19th century, has been recreated.
Italian house (1755)
It was built in 1754-1755 with the participation of Yu. I. Kologrivov, who received an architectural education in Rome. In the structure of estate holidays, the Italian house served as a palace for "small receptions". And, at the same time, the decoration of the pavilion reflected the interest characteristic of the 18th century in collecting “rarities”, rare works of art, which gave the small palace the originality of a museum.
The purpose of each of the two floors is easily guessed in the appearance of the pavilion. The palace character of the interiors of the second floor finds expression in the architecture of the façade: high window openings, openwork railings of the loggia and balconies, and the completion of the cornice with an elegant balustrade. The small rooms on the first floor, visually lower, with square windows, were designed to accommodate "rarities": rare paintings made of beads and colored marble, models of Jerusalem and Bethlehem churches in glass cases, antique sculptures and much more.
Dutch lodge (1749)
Dutch House - located on the shore of the pond, a two-story garden pavilion with a kitchen on the ground floor and a living room on the second. According to the date indicated on the facade, the construction of the house began in 1749. The building was erected in the laconic style of the Dutch buildings of the 17th century; the interior was decorated with ceramic tiles in the same style. The house is an imitation of a Dutch dwelling and was used as an entertainment pavilion. The gazebos on the sides of the pond (dismantled in the 19th century) and the garden with a vegetable garden located around the pavilion were designed to create the illusion of a street located on the bank of the canal. The exposition of the Dutch House includes several 18th-century fake figures. There is a similar house in another estate near Moscow, Voronovo. In the mid-1970s, the house was filmed in an episode of the feature TV movie "Hello, I'm your_aunt!" as an English mansion where, according to the script, the main events in the film take place.
Pavilion "Grotto" (1756-1761/75)
One of the most interesting buildings in Kuskovo is the Grotto, built in 1756-1761 under the direction of Fyodor Argunov. The tradition of building garden pavilions of this type originated in the 16th century in Italy. Grottoes, decorated with shells, mirrors and glass, as well as tuff, were erected near water bodies and used as baths. In countries with a more severe climate, where such pavilions began to be built somewhat later, they served as premises for ceremonial receptions (for example, the grotto in Versailles) or storage cabinets of curiosities and exhibition pavilions (grottoes of the Summer Garden and the park in Tsarskoye Selo, respectively). The vast majority of the grottoes of Northern Europe were used as places of rest on hot days. Such structures were popular until the end of the 18th century.
The stone pavilion is one of the best Russian examples of the Rococo style in Russia and one of two grottoes (the other being the Tsarskoye Selo grotto) that have been preserved in Russia. The grotto is the only pavilion in Russia that has retained its unique “grotto” decoration from the 18th century, and is the most exotic among the architectural structures of Kuskov.
The pavilion is located in the southeastern part of the Kuskovsky park. Placed on a stylobate with intricately curved lines of steps that depict water spreading in front of the grotto, it occupies the western shore of the pond. The grotto pavilion appeared in Kuskovo in the first half of the 18th century and was originally made of wood. Its first documentary mention dates back to December 15, 1750, when the decision was made to demolish the wooden structure. The exact time of the start of work on the construction of the stone pavilion is unknown; the old one existed in Kuskovo until 1754. The interior decoration of the stone grotto was completed in 1761.
A building of baroque architecture with a central part crowned with a dome completed with a four-sided lantern. A flowerpot was placed on the lantern, from which a fountain spouted. The base of the dome is cut with round lucarnes, surrounded by gilded carvings. At the top, the pavilion was surrounded by a parapet with balusters, on which the sculpture was placed, and the pediments of the facades were also decorated with sculpture - in the center arched and triangular on both sides. Thirty-two muffed columns of the facade give the building an unusual expression. There are statues in eight niches. Above the windows are mascarons in the form of lion muzzles. Window and door openings were covered with gilded bars. The facade was painted with ocher with whitewashed architectural details, the dome was painted with green tones. In the mid-seventies, the statues on the parapet were replaced by flowerpots, and the stylobate was dismantled. Judging by the images of the beginning of the 19th century, there was no longer a flowerpot with a fountain on the dome. At present (2021), white stone sculptures depicting Juno, Venus, Mercury, Flora, Diana and Ceres are installed in the exedra niches of the facades.
Interior decoration was a complex and lengthy process. About fourteen years (1761-1775) with interruptions. The work was carried out by the "grotic" master German Johann Focht, hired by Count P. B. Sheremetev under a "signed contract". On June 6, 1765, a contract was signed for the decoration of the northern cabinet, and in January 1771, the southern one. There are three rooms in the Grotto - the central hall, painted in pink and green marble with red veins, and two rooms - northern (more modest) and southern, designed, respectively, in cold and warm colors. The interiors of the Grotto, presented as an underwater cave, embodying, according to the creator, the elements of stone and water, are decorated with decorative garlands with ribbons and bows, typical for rocaille decoration in combination with military fittings. The bizarre curves of fantastic plants alternate with stripes of fish scales, images of outlandish animals, birds and fish, and patterns of 24 types of mollusk shells (“ton helmet”, “noble pinna”, “noe arch”, “pelican leg”, “abalone”, Astrea rugosa, etc.) against the background of white, yellow and pink tuff. The gypsum decor echoes the mother-of-pearl stains of the shells. In total, Focht used mollusk shells of about 40 species in the design, including 7 extinct by now. The compositions include, as a reminder of the other world, the skeletons of birds and animals. Placement in niches of wooden and clay dolls of half human height, decorated with sea and river shells, bought by Count P. B. Sheremetev in 1775 especially for the Grotto, “revives” elegant cabinets. Shell sculpture, perceived in Russia as a rarity, is a unique work of Western European masters of the second half of the 18th century, which has no analogues in Russia.
Over the years of its existence, the Grotto has been repeatedly repaired, its exterior and interior have undergone numerous alterations. After the revolution of 1917 and the Civil War, the grotto fell into disrepair. Until 1927, it was open to access in the summer seasons, in the following decade it was closed, but not guarded. All these years the dilapidation of the pavilion continued. In 1937-1938, the Grotto was restored, but the work did not have a scientific basis, their nature is defined as "emergency repair work." The first scientific restoration began in 1939 under the guidance of the architect N. N. Sobolev, but the work was interrupted due to the outbreak of war.
The latest (as of 2021) restoration of the pavilion began at the end of 2017 by order of the Technical Center of the Department of Culture of the City of Moscow. According to the project, the Grotto should be restored in the form in which it existed in the 1780s, with the maximum preservation of the author's intention. The wooden truss structures of the roofs of the offices (with a change of roofing) and the central hall were restored. Stucco decoration, white-stone architectural details (columns, window sills), metal gratings, balustrade details have been restored on the facades. Restoration of sculptures in the niches of the western and eastern facades faced rather difficult tasks. The state of preservation of the white stone affected by the fungus and covered with layers of dirt and moss was studied, and its conservation was carried out. The brickwork of the walls was partially restored, the plaster coating was restored. The dilapidated fillings of door and window openings were replaced. About 150,000 shells were used during the restoration of the interior decor.
Pavilion Hermitage (1765-1767)
The pavilion during the heyday of the estate was intended only for the elite - friends of the owner of the estate, who wanted to retire during the balls that Count Sheremetev arranged. The second floor could only be reached by means of a lifting mechanism. The first floor was reserved for servants, with drinks, snacks, and more served by an elegantly set lift table.
Like other park pavilions, in the 18th century the Hermitage was used to receive guests, and its name emphasized the purpose of the pavilion, intended for entertainment and entertainment in a close circle of a select society. In addition, his original device allowed him to retire on the second floor without servants. Such "hermitages" were then extremely fashionable.
To date, only three park buildings of this type have survived in Russia: the Peterhof (1721-1724), Tsarskoye Selo (1743-1753) and Kuskovsky Hermitages.
The Hermitage was built in 1765-1767, under the "supervision" of Karl Ivanovich Blank, a famous Moscow architect. A feature of this building is the close interweaving of several styles. The smooth, rounded forms of the facades are superimposed by a strict, well-adjusted order system of classicism, which, however, also contains baroque features, for example, alabaster busts of Roman Caesars located in special niches under the cornice.
In the early 1980s, during the reconstruction of the historical appearance, the frieze fence along the perimeter of the roof and the statue on the dome were restored. In 2013, the Hermitage pavilion was opened to visitors. Inside it, exhibitions of the State Museum of Ceramics are held.
Large stone greenhouse (1761-1763)
By 1763, the Large Stone Orangery was built according to the project of the fortress architect Fyodor Argunov - the largest pavilion of the palace and park ensemble of the estate. In addition to its direct functional purpose, it was also used for receiving guests: along with glazed galleries for plant exotics, a “voxal” was arranged in the center of the Large Stone Orangery - a small round dance hall with choirs for musicians. In the side risalits there were rooms for games and a gardener's shelter.
Today, the expositions of the State Museum of Ceramics are deployed in the halls of the greenhouse.
American Greenhouse (1750s, modern reconstruction)
It was built by an unknown architect in the 1750s in the northeastern part of the regular park. The Catalog of Plants of 1786 explains the term "American greenhouse" as a building of "great heat", which is a structure on a stone foundation with a different inclination of roofs, "lying and standing" window frames oriented to the south, southeast and southwest . The angle of the frames has been finely calculated to make optimal use of the sun's rays, especially in winter. Such structures provided a variety of thermal and light conditions necessary for growing tropical plants. For better absorption of sunlight, simple greenish glass was used; the greenhouse is exclusively utilitarian. At the time of winter 2022, the building is closed for restoration.
Swiss House (1870s, architect Nicolai Benois)
The Swiss house was built in the 1870s by the architect N. L. Benois. This construction was the final one in Kuskovo. The wooden two-story building is somewhat different from other structures of the Moscow manor park called Kuskovo: it is unusual in that the walls of its first floor are painted “like a brick”, and the decoration of the second floor is woodcarving.
The second floor, thanks to a large balcony located around the entire perimeter of the structure, hangs over the first floor and serves as a kind of terrace for it. The gable roof, in turn, also protrudes from all sides, protecting (both from the gable and from the sides) a solid carved wooden balcony. It is supported by figured balcony columns, which are also made of wood. The contours of the roof along the entire perimeter are decorated with openwork carvings.
The entrance to the house itself is located on its front side. It is decorated with a carved wooden porch with pillars, exactly the same as the balcony ones. On this side from the first floor there are two lattice windows - one small and the other larger, and from the second - four lattice windows. On the other side of the house there is a staircase leading to the balcony. It is also made of wood, and its beginning is made in the form of an openwork airy wooden porch with the same openwork 2-wing doors. The last owner of the estate, Sergei Dmitrievich Sheremetev, lived within the walls of this house at the end of the 19th - beginning of the 20th century. Currently, the Directorate of the Kuskovo Museum is located in the Swiss House.
Air theater (1763)
The air theater in Kuskovo is a rare example of the synthesis of architectural, park and stage art. Such theaters, which spread in Russia in rich Russian estates of the 18th century, along with terraces, grottoes, cascades, were characteristic motifs of Italian parks of the High Renaissance. Arranged in Kuskovo in the 1760s, today it has lost its green scenes, retaining only the layout and timid outlines of the relief. It consisted of an amphitheater for spectators and a stage platform. The stage, located on an artificial hill 1.5 m high, surrounded by birch bosquets, inside which strawberries and strawberries were grown, was decorated along the edges with a high wall of sheared barberry. A spruce trellis served as six pairs of wings, the care of which was difficult, but justified by excellent acoustics. From above, the stage was cleaned with a grass carpet, and during theatrical performances - with wooden flooring. The turf amphitheater, which consisted of three semicircular benches with a passage in the center, was designed for 80-100 spectators. They were offered soft pillows before the start of the performance. The ratio of a deep stage with an area of 3250 m² and a small amphitheater was common for green theaters of the 18th century. The amphitheater was located south of the stage, so it received sufficient sunlight. The musicians took their places in the orchestra pit, closed off from the side of the auditorium by a flower bed. The actors' restrooms were two round towers made of clipped greenery.
The open theater made it possible for many who wished to see the performance: among the spectators were not only guests of honor, but also a large audience who watched the performance from the paths of the park. “The common people died with laughter at every funny word, giving their own sense to everything, and through this they represented another very entertaining spectacle,” wrote an unknown participant in the Kuskovsky holiday.
Kitchen outbuilding (1756-1757)
The wing was built in 1755 by the architect F. S. Argunov, it housed Russian and French kitchens, a tablecloth, coffee, bread and confectionery shops. The building was built in the same style as the rest of the estate ensemble, its northern and southern facades are decorated with a colonnade and high arched windows. The top of the building is crowned with a balustrade with flowerpots and cartouches (decorative stucco or graphic patterns on the facades in the form of shields, unfolded scrolls or maps). In order to avoid a fire, the kitchen was moved during the construction of the complex to a separate building. A separate cooking building also saved guests from kitchen aromas and household fuss. The building is located between the Palace and the Temple. Servants carried the finished dishes through the side door on the basement floor directly to the Palace. The dining room of the Palace with windows just goes to the east side, where the Kitchen is located. Thanks to the records of the 18th century, we know that there were confectionery, tablecloth, bread, coffee shops, Russian and French cuisines. So that the official building does not violate the ceremonial character of the estate, its southern and northern facades are decorated with a solemn colonnade, high arched windows, an elegant balustrade with decorative vases on the roof parapet and cartouches in the form of military armor and banners, which gives this building elegance and solemnity. The top of the building is crowned with a balustrade with flowerpots and cartouches (decorative stucco or graphic patterns on the facades in the form of shields, unfolded scrolls or maps).
Church of the All-Merciful Savior (1737-1739) and bell tower (1792)
The temple is one of the rare monuments of the cult architecture of the Anninsky baroque - quadrangular in plan, rises on a white stone plinth and ends with a dome. The planes of the walls are animated by pilasters, white-stone sculptures of the apostles are installed in the niches of the drum, and the figure of an angel with outstretched wings supports the cross. On the western pediment, a relief stands out: the God of hosts sits in the clouds, surrounded by cherubs. The sculptural decoration lends splendor to the church building, consonant with the architecture of a pleasure residence. The small inner space of the church in the 18th century was richly decorated: a carved iconostasis with ancient images in salaries studded with precious stones and pearls, gilded royal gates, a count's box and choirs. Once magnificently decorated, with expensive utensils, rich robes and airs, according to legend, embroidered with gold and pearls by the crowned neighbor on the estates, Empress Elizaveta Petrovna, the church has preserved only late paintings on biblical and gospel stories from the middle of the 19th century. But even today, the true decoration of the temple is a two-tiered chandelier for eighteen candles with figures of seraphim.
In 1792, as the completion of the entire Sheremetev plan, a wooden bell tower was built, built by the labors of the fortress architects Mironov and Dikushin - the last significant building in Kuskovo, "closing the circle" in the creation of an architectural ensemble.
In 1991, the temple was opened to museum visitors as "the house church of the Kuskovo estate". In 1992, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Rus' appointed a rector to the temple, at the same time a local religious organization, the Orthodox parish of the temple, was registered. After 200 years, in 1992, eight bells were returned to the bell tower, reconstructed according to the samples of the 19th century by the Moscow Kolokol enterprise, cast in memory of the glorious Sheremetev family and in honor of the reconstruction of the Church of the All-Merciful Savior.
According to the order of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 1572 of October 19, 2009, the church was classified as federal property. Then the church building was transferred to a local religious organization on the basis of the “Agreement for the unlimited use of federal real estate for religious purposes owned by the Russian Federation” dated December 7, 2010 No. D-30/1248 between the territorial department of the Federal Agency for State Property Management in the city of Moscow and the local religious organization - the Orthodox parish of the Church of the Holy Trees of the Life-Giving Cross of the Lord in Kuskovo, Moscow, Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. Formally, the church building and the bell tower ceased to be under the jurisdiction of the museum. It passed into the jurisdiction of the local parish of the Christmas Deanery of the Moscow City Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. After that, tourists lost the opportunity to visit the monument on weekdays: the temple is remote from residential areas, and services are held there only on Saturdays and Sundays (entrance to the estate is free for believers). In 2015, the figure of an angel was removed from the dome of the temple, restored during the restoration of the 1970s. As of December 2022, the figure is installed in front of the church, according to unconfirmed information, the sculpture will be installed in early 2023. Restoration work took place in 2018-2019.
Aviary for birds (modern reconstruction)
Menagerie (modern reconstruction)
Carriage house and dryer (second half of the 19th century).
Manager's house (1810).
During the 200-year history of the estate, many
buildings were lost and have not survived to our time. Some pavilions in
the English part of the park were destroyed during the Patriotic War of
1812. Part of it was dismantled under Nikolai Petrovich Sheremetev, most
of it under Sergei Dmitrievich and a large-scale reconstruction of the
estate in the second half of the 19th century.
Pagodenburg (Chinese gazebo)
Theater building in Kuskovo
Soap (Bath pavilion)
Arbor in a dam grove
Gazebo in the menagerie
Decorative ruin in the menagerie - a gathering place for hunters
"House of Solitude" by Count Pyotr Borisovich Sheremetev
Expositions of the architectural and park ensemble of
the estate and exhibitions of porcelain, ceramics and glass are open for
viewing. The Moscow government planned to fix the status of "Specially
Protected Natural Territories of Moscow" for the estate.
Since 2018, it has been renamed the Kuskovo Estate Museum. Since 2022, the estate "Kuskovo" and the estate "Ostankino" have been merged into a common museum complex "GMZ "Ostankino and Kuskovo".
Popular films such as Shirley Myrley (1995) and Hello, I'm Your Aunt! (1975) were filmed in the manor and forest park, where the Dutch house was presented as the home of Colonel Chesney. "Ordinary Miracle" (1964, director Erast Garin). Historical television series “Midshipmen, forward!”, “Vivat, midshipmen!”, “Secrets of palace coups”, “Institute of Noble Maidens”, “Secrets of the Institute of Noble Maidens” and others were also filmed in Kuskovo. Also, the shooting of the clip of the BI-2 group "Black Sun" was carried out in the estate.
Today it is one of the world's largest owners of a collection of ceramics and glass from various countries from antiquity to the present.
The collections of the Counts Sheremetevs became the basis of the funds of the Museum-Estate "Kuskovo", which were subsequently replenished and currently number about 6 thousand works of painting, graphics, sculpture, furniture and objects of decorative and applied art of the 16th-19th centuries. The manor has preserved rare pieces of artistic furniture and arts and crafts, books from the family library and the manor's "Portrait Gallery", unique in its completeness and historical significance. The museum has a unique, one of the best in the country and the largest in Moscow collection of Russian and Western European porcelain, ceramics and glass.
Exhibitions are organized annually in the museum; concerts of classical music are held; ancient traditions of manor festivities, receptions and festivities are being revived.
The museum is open to visitors all year round.
Monday, Tuesday are days off. The last Wednesday of the month is a sanitary day.
Every Thursday of the third week of the month is free admission.
In winter from 10.00 to 18.00, ticket offices until 17.30. The Palace and the Grotto are open until 16:00
In summer from 10.00 to 20.00, ticket office until 19.30. Pavilions until 18:00