The Church of the Conception of the Righteous Anna, in the Corner, Moscow

The Church of the Conception of Anna in the Corner is one of the oldest Orthodox churches in Moscow, located in Zaryadye, at the intersection of Kitaygorodsky Passage and Moskvoretskaya Embankment.

He belongs to the Iversky deanery of the Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. The main altar was consecrated in honor of the conception of the righteous Anna of the Most Holy Theotokos.

The time of construction of the existing temple is unknown, the researchers indicate dates from 1480 to 1668. It owes its current appearance to the restoration carried out in the 1950s by architect Lev David.

 

History

For the first time, the church of the Conception, which is on the Eastern Corner, is mentioned in the chronicle in connection with the fire of 1493, when the temple burned down along with most of the city. However, it is not clear which temple is mentioned — stone or wooden. If we accept Sergei Zagraevsky's version that the Khreshchatyk vault is the discovery of Moscow masters and the first monument of its kind is the church of St. Tryphon in Naprudny, then the Church of the Conception of Anna is a unique masterpiece standing in this row and it is necessary to date the existing temple to the 1480s. In the fire of 1547, the temple was damaged, then it was restored. According to Andrey Batalov, the earliest possible start of construction of a stone church is after this fire. For the first time as a stone building, the temple is listed in the Census Book of 1626. In the chronicles, the temple was called: "what's at the East End" (1493), "what's behind the Salt Row" (1622), "what's at the city wall in the corner" (1657), "what's in Kitay-gorod on the Shore" (1677) and, finally, "what's in China in the Corner" indicating the proximity of the fortress walls and the corner tower of Kitay-gorod (not preserved).

The southern aisle of the temple is in honor of the Great Martyr Mina Kotuansky (built in the first quarter of the XVII century, possibly by order of Prince Dmitry Pozharsky in honor of the liberation of the capital from Polish and Lithuanian invaders). The chapel was named after the Great Martyr, on whose memorial day, November 11, in 1480, the troops of the Great Horde left the Ugra River.

The north aisle of the church is in honor of the Great Martyr Catherine (built in 1658-1668). There is an assumption that he appeared in connection with the birth of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich's daughter named Ekaterina. In 1658-1668, a gallery-porch (gulbishche) was built around the temple.

The renovation of the temple took place in 1752 (at the expense of the merchant Zamyatina) and in the XIX century. By the middle of the XIX century, chapels of the Nine Martyrs of Cyzicus, Martyrs Victor and Vikenty appeared in the church.

A handwritten collection was kept in the church (it has not reached the present time), which contained a story that Ivan the Terrible sent a miraculous image of the Mother of God to the temple after the fire of 1547.

In St. Basil's Cathedral there is a bell weighing 30 pounds, removed from the bell tower of the XIX century at the Church of the Conception of Anna, dismantled during the restoration of 1954-1957. The bell was cast in France in 1547 and acquired by the merchant "Ivan Grigoriev son Tverdikov" "according to his parents." During the Time of Troubles, the bell was removed from the church; later it was bought and returned to the temple by Prince Dimitri Pozharsky.

In the 1920s (according to other sources, in 1929), the temple was closed and desecrated, but remained under state protection as a historical monument. Then the office and tourist facilities were located in the building. The decoration of the interior of the temple was irretrievably lost.

In 1947-1948, the building was surveyed by architect Alexander Fufaev, who combined the results of his research into a graphic reconstruction. Some of the provisions of Fufayev's reconstruction were found to be erroneous during the restoration that followed in 1954-1957.

In 1994, the church was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church and consecrated in the same year.

Due to the demolition of the Rossiya Hotel, and then the construction of the Zaryadye Park, divine services in the temple were temporarily not held. After the opening of the Zaryadye, services were not resumed for some time and the temple was closed. On 02/8/2024, the temple is open and services are held.

 

Architecture

The Church of the Conception of Anna is a pillar—less church with a baptismal vault. The main volume, almost square in plan, is mounted on the basement. To the east there is a semicircular altar apse, covered with a semicircular vault. A smooth plinth made of white stone occupies the entire aboveground part of the basement and is surrounded by a horizontal thrust. The facades (with the exception of the apse), which is typical for buildings of that era, are divided into three parts by blades and topped with trifolia separated by a horizontal belt. The walls are made of limestone of the Myachkovsky type (basement, temple to the waist; inside, the limestone walls are brought out to the feet of the vault) and small-sized bricks (temple belt, walls above the waist, cornice of the apse, trifolia) on lime mortar. The thickness of the walls is 108-127 cm at the temple and 105 cm at the altar apse.

The ribbon foundation of the main volume and the apse are made of rubble stone on lime mortar. It was laid to a depth of 2.6 m from the ancient day surface.

The massive drum crowning the main volume originally had no windows and was decorated from the outside with niches that frame narrow pilasters with decorative false arches, giving the structure harmony. Four windows in the drum, oriented to the cardinal directions, were broken later. With equal probability, the drum could be either open inside the room or separated from it, possibly by a wooden structure. Its base is decorated with ten (instead of the usual eight) kokoshniks. The upper part of the cornice of the drum was lost during the construction of the onion dome in the XVII century.

Initially, the temple was covered with black-flattened tiles with pointed ends. The remains of the original covering were discovered over the southwestern corner of the temple during the restoration. The last covering of the church (at the time of restoration in the mid-1950s) was a four—pitched roof.

The chapel of the Mine, erected at the beginning of the XVII century, also has a groined vault and a narrow blind drum with false windows.

As Lev David notes, the location of the church was extremely advantageous: the building towered over Velikaya Street, and from under the arch of the Kosmodemyansky Gate, at the entrance to Kitay-Gorod, the view of the temple opened against the panorama of the Moscow Kremlin.

 

Restoration

In 1954-1957, the temple was studied and restored (full-scale studies and the restoration project of Lev David together with Boris Altshuller and Sergei Podyapolsky). The purpose of the restoration work was to remove the later layers of the monument (starting from the XVIII century) and restore the forms of architecture of the XVI century. The chapels of St. Mina, St. Catherine and Gulbishche, which appeared in the XVII century, were recognized as having "historical and historical-architectural significance", their creators, according to restorers, achieved "a certain compositional balance and harmony" with the main ancient core of the temple. These later buildings have been preserved.

David noted the discovery and restoration of the original portals, which were considered lost, as a great success of the restoration work. Three promising portals with keeled ends were returned to the Temple — the type that is "classic for early Moscow architecture." At the same time, no traces of gullies or stairs were found that should lead to these portals.

When examining the ancient covering of the church above its southwestern corner, the base of the southern pillar of the old belfry, located diagonally, was discovered. The question of her composition remains open.

During the restoration, the bell tower, built in the middle of the XIX century, was demolished.