Bolshaya Sadovaya ulitsa 10, flat 52
Tel. (495) 970 0619
Open: 1pm- 11pm Sun- Thu
1pm- 1am Fri- Sat
The Bulgakov Museum in Moscow is a writer's Museum dedicated to
the life and work of the author Mikhail Afanasyevich Bulgakov in an
apartment. Here he placed parts of his novel "the Master and
Margarita". Graffiti, including text from the novel and drawings of
its characters, decorated the exterior walls and stairwells of the
apartment building. It is located about two blocks from the
Patriarchal ponds, the opening scene of the novel's Chapter, where
the Moscow government planned to erect statues dedicated to the
novel. It is located near the Mayakovskaya metro station.
This luxury house was built by millionaire Ilya Pigit, owner of the Dukat tobacco factory. It was adapted for the first workers ' commune after the revolution. In this house lived the dancer Isadora Duncan and the poet Sergey Yesenin, Alice Koonen and Andrey Bely, Vasily Surikov and bass Fyodor Chaliapin, futurists, members of the art group "Jack of diamonds" and other representatives of the Moscow Bohemians. Later they were replaced by the Moscow proletariat in the first post-revolutionary years. The studios of artists Pyotr Konchalovsky and Georgy Yakulov, which were located in the courtyard of house 10, were miraculously preserved.
Communal apartment No. 50, where Mikhail Bulgakov and his wife lived in 1921-1924, became the prototype of this Bad apartment, where Woland settled with his entourage. Years passed, and the staircase of entrance No. 6 received the glory of an enchanted place. Since the 70s, people have come here to sit on these steps, remember their favorite fragments from the novel, sing and discuss one of the most famous Russian novels. The staircase became one of the unofficial cultural centers of Moscow in the 1980s and 90s. A "hippie Academy" was organized in the attic, and the entrance walls were covered with drawings, quotes from Bulgakov's works, and declarations of love for Bulgakov and his characters. Over the years, the door of apartment No. 50 was closed to Bulgakov's fans: it housed the design Bureau. But in the 1990s, the Bulgakov Foundation was based there, and since April 2007, it has been the only official Bulgakov Museum in Russia.
The building was built between 1902 and 1905 as an
apartment building commissioned by the Russian millionaire Ilya
Pigit, owner of the Dukat tobacco factory. The building is designed
in the Russian version of the Art Nouveau style. At that time,
construction in Moscow was flourishing, just then the Garden ring
was being built around the center of Moscow, consisting of wide
streets lined with trees. Bolshaya Sadovaya street was also a part
of it. In June 1917, on the eve of the October revolution, Ilya
Pigit sold the building to a private real estate company. The sale
was a good move, because after the revolution, the new Soviet
government demanded to turn the house into one of the first
buildings for communal apartments in Moscow. In 1938, the building
lost much of its original charm after the front fence was removed to
widen the street.
In September 1921, Soviet writer Mikhail Bulgakov moved into apartment number 50 on the first floor with his wife Tatyana Nikolaevna Lappa. Bulgakov was an ardent opponent of the Soviet government and once expressed his hatred of communal apartments, in particular, apartment number 50 on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, 10, as follows
" on Bolshaya Sadovaya
There is a healthy house.
Our brother lives in the house
Bulgakov made the building one of the most significant places in his famous novel the Master and Margarita, it is there that the "Bad apartment"is located.
In the novel Master and Margarita, Bulgakov did not assign the building number 10 – its real number, but used the number 302 bis-with a certain hint of the intricate bureaucratic system of the Soviet system at that time.
In the summer of 1924, Bulgakov, having dealt with his Affairs, was able to move to the 5th floor, to a quieter apartment at number 34, some of the characteristics of which, by the way, he also used to describe apartment 50 in his novel. Tatiana Lappa, his wife, later realized that Bulgakov had organized this move only so that she would not be left alone in an unpleasant situation for her, because a few months later Bulgakov himself left the building altogether to move in with Lyubov Evgenievna Belozerskaya, whom he married in April 1925.
In one of the apartments at No. 10 Bolshaya Sadovaya street, Sergei Yesenin met the American dancer Isadora Duncan, who later became his wife
The Grand opening of the cultural and educational
center "Bulgakov's House" took place on may 15, 2004.
The opening of the center was attended by more than five hundred people, including famous cultural figures, Bulgakov scholars, actors of Moscow theaters, artists, intellectuals and fans of the writer's work. The event was widely covered in the media: film crews of the TV channels "Culture", "TVC" and "RTR. Vesti-Stolitsa, as well as correspondents of Central print publications such as Izvestia, Vedomosti, Kommersant, and others.
When my friends and associates and I decided to organize a Bulgakov Museum, the "bad apartment" was closed, and an official announcement hung on the entrance door that there was no Museum here and could not be. People who came to the courtyard of the famous house on Sadovaya street left with nothing. Then we thought: if the state doesn't care about the Bulgakov Museum, and we care, why don't we create it ourselves. We found fans of the writer's work on the Internet, went to the Phoenix society, which for 20 years has been collecting information on Bulgakov and organizing meetings of Bulgakov scholars, called collectors and found the first items for the Museum exhibition. We decided to open on the writer's birthday, and on may 15, 2004, the Bulgakov house Cultural and educational center began its work-Nikolai Borisovich Golubev, the founder of the cultural and educational center.