Cathedral of Archangel is a medieval Eastern Orthodox
Church that stands on Cathedral Square in the Moscow Kremlin. The
first temple was constructed in Kremlin in 1247- 48. It was a modest
wooden structure that was replaced in 1333 by tsar Ivan Kalita who
ordered construction of a stone structure. Newly constructed
Archangel Cathedral was consecrated on September 20, 1333 by
Metropolit Feognost. Current building was reconstructed in 1505- 8
under supervision of Italian architect Aleviz Novy. New cathedral
was consecrated again in 1508 by Metropolit Simon. Cathedral of Archangel was constructed from brick
and trimmed with decorations from white stone. The fact that
current Cathedral of Archangel was designed by an Italian
architect can be seen in architectural motifs of the Italian
Renaissance. Orthodox icons of wooden iconostasis that divides
altar from the rest of the church date back to 17th- 19th
century. Wall murals were painted (or "written") in 1652- 66 by
Kazanets Jacob, Joseph Vladimirov and Stephan Ryazanets.
Cathedral of Archangel served not only as a
church, but also as a necropolis for the royal family. Grand
Prince Vasily (Basil) III ordered transfer of relics of saints.
In all there are 54 burials inside Cathedral of Archangel.
Bishops served a special commemoration service in memory of dead
princes and their relatives.
Cathedral of Archangel was damaged during Russian
Revolution of 1917, but it was completely closed in 1918 during
atheistic campaign against Russian Orthodox Church. Cathedral of
Archangel was miraculously saved, but nearby Voznesensky
Monastery wasn't so lucky. It was destroyed and necropolis of
princesses was moved to Cathedral of Archangel. From 1955
Cathedral of Archangel became a museum and a place for concerts.