Ulitsa Volkonka 14
Tel. (495) 697 1546
Open: 10am- 7pm Tue- Sun
The Gallery of Art of the Countries of Europe and America of the 19th-20th centuries is an art gallery that presents works by Western European and American artists of the 19th-20th centuries, including collections of impressionists and post-impressionists from the collections of patrons Sergei Schukin and Ivan Morozov. The museum is located in the left wing of the Golitsyn estate in Znamensky Lane, which has been part of the Pushkin Museum (GMII) since the early 1980s. The opening of the gallery took place in 2006 as its branch.
The gallery is located in an outbuilding of the Golitsyn estate in Maly Znamensky Lane, built at the end of the 18th century in the style of early classicism, it was originally used as a utility room. In 1888-1892, the private school of I. M. Khainovsky was located in the wing. From 1890 to 1892, restoration work took place in the house under the guidance of architect Vasily Zagorsky. As a result of the reconstruction, the wing was reequipped for the delivery of living rooms and received the name "Prince's Yard". Artists Vasily Surikov, Ilya Repin, Alexander Skryabin, Boris Pasternak rented apartments in the building.
After the outbuilding became part of the Pushkin Museum in the early 1980s, it was reconstructed to house an art gallery.
The art collection began to take shape in the middle of the 19th century, when a fashion for collecting paintings appeared among patrons and industrialists of Moscow. The museum presents a collection of paintings by French impressionists and post-impressionists from the collections of merchants Ivan Morozov and Sergei Shchukin. Patrons began to acquire works by artists in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when impressionism was not very popular in Europe and the Russian Empire. So, Ivan Morozov was fond of the works of Paul Cezanne, Maurice Denis and Pierre Bonnard, and Sergei Shchukin became the patron of Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso, buying almost all new paintings by masters. The collections of Ilya Ostroukhov, Sergei Polyakov and Sergei Shcherbatov also played a major role in the formation of the museum's collection of paintings of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
After the 1917 revolution, all private collections were nationalized. Sergei Shchukin and Ivan Morozov emigrated, leaving their collections in Russia. Some time later, permanent exhibitions were opened based on their collections. In 1918, the First Museum of New Western Painting was founded in the former house of Shchukin under the leadership of the art worker Yakov Tugendhold. At the same time, the Second Museum of New Western Painting was opened in the mansion of the merchant Morozov. Boris Ternovets became its director.
In 1923, the Shchukin and Morozov collections were merged and named the State Museum of New Western Art (GMNZI). The general collection, numbering about 500 canvases, was exhibited in the former house of Morozov at 21 Prechistenka. The museum managed to achieve art exchanges, as a result of which works by Italian, German, Belgian, Czechoslovak and Polish masters appeared in the collection.
In the post-war USSR, the fight against formalism began, so in 1948 the Museum of New Western Art was closed, and the collection was distributed between the Pushkin State Museum and the Hermitage. In the 1980s, the wing moved to the Pushkin Museum, which in the 1990s received paintings by other contemporary artists Wassily Kandinsky and Marc Chagall. The museum decided to use the building to display this collection.
On the opening day of the gallery in 2006, the director of the Pushkin Museum, Irina Antonova, expressed the idea of recreating the Museum of New Western Art by combining the Moscow and St. Petersburg collections. However, the head of the Hermitage, Mikhail Piotrovsky, refused to hand over the canvases.
"The revival of this museum is not a problem of Antonova and Piotrovsky, and not even a problem of the Pushkin Museum and the Hermitage. It is ridiculous to understand the issue in this way. This is a state problem. The state destroyed the museum. The state has the opportunity to restore it. This is my point of view."
The collection of paintings is located in 26 chamber halls. As of 2018, the museum collection includes works by Gustave Courbet, Paul Helleu, Camille Pizarro, Pierre Bonnard, Henri Toulouse Lautrec, Pierre Cecile Puvis de Chavannes, Jean-Francois Millet, Honoré Daumier, Narcissus Diaz, Louis-Gabriel-Eugène Isabey , Francisco Goya, Eugene Delacroix, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, Paul Delaroche. In a separate room, the German school of painting of the 19th century is exhibited, where the works of Kaspal Friedrich and the artists of the "Nazarenes" are presented. Also, a separate exposition is dedicated to Claude Monet, Paul Cezanne, Paul Gauguin and Henri Matisse.