Novodevichiy proezd 1
Tel. (495) 246 8526
Open: 10am- 5pm Wed- Mon
Service: 8am, 5pm Mon- Sat, 7am, 10am Sun
Cemetery: Open: 10am- 6pm daily
Novodevichy Convent is a medieval Russian Orthodox monastery that was found in 1524 by Moscow prince Vasili III to commemorate his conquest of formerly independent Smolensk principality. Thus another alternative name for the monastery is Bogoroditse (Mother of God)- Somelnsky (of Smolensk) Monastery. At the time of its construction it stood outside of Moscow city limits. Its walls part of the defences of the Russian capital. In fact parts of the original moat have been preserved and today serves as a picturesque pond.
According to the chronicle:
In the summer of 7032 Maya, on the 8th day, the New Devich Monastery was erected near the city of Moscow behind the settlement.
The new monastery was named in relation to the more ancient ones - the Zachatievsky Monastery, then called the Starodevichi Monastery, and the Ascension Monastery in the Moscow Kremlin.
According to the patriarchal charter of 1598, the full name of the monastery was: "The Holy Great Monastery of the Most Holy Theotokos Hodegetria New Maiden Monastery."
The Novodevichy Convent is dedicated to the Most Holy
Theotokos Hodegetria, which in Greek means “Guide”, “Mentor”. This was
the name of the ancient image of the Mother of God, according to legend,
written by the Evangelist Luke and kept in the temple of Odigon
(monastery of Panagia Hodegetria).
Legend has it that the icon came to Russia in the middle of the 11th century (in 1046), when the Byzantine emperor Constantine IX Monomakh blessed his daughter, Princess Anna, who became the wife of Prince Vsevolod Yaroslavich, with it on the road. The icon became a family shrine of the Russian princes, a symbol of continuity and dynastic closeness of Constantinople and Rus'.
At the beginning of the 12th century (according to other sources, in 1097), Prince Vladimir Monomakh transferred the icon to Smolensk, where he founded the church of the Assumption of the Mother of God, in which a Christian shrine was subsequently placed. Since then, the icon began to be called Smolensk, Smolensk - the city of the Most Holy Theotokos, and the cathedral - Her House.
Church tradition ascribes to the icon help in saving the city in 1239 from the invasion of Batu.
In the 15th century, the icon ended up in Moscow. E. Poselyanin gives several options for transferring it:
The Russian Vremennik says that a certain Yurga, Pan Svilkoldovich, when he left Svidrigail, the Lithuanian prince, to the Grand Duke of Moscow Vasily Vasilyevich, plundered Smolensk on the road, took the Hodegetria icon along with other things and brought it as a gift to the Grand Duke in Moscow ( [in 1455]). Others suggest that Vitovt of Smolensk gave this icon to his daughter Sophia, the wife of the Moscow Grand Duke Vasily Dmitrievich, when she was in Smolensk in 1398 to meet with her father and received many Greek icons from him. There is another piece of news that the last prince of Smolensk, expelled from here in 1404 by the Lithuanian Vitovt, arrived in Moscow and brought with him the Hodegetria icon along with other icons.
- Поселыанин E. Mother of God. Description of Her earthly life and miraculous icons. - M., 2002.
In 1456, at the request of the embassy of Bishop Misail of Smolensk, Grand Duke Vasily II the Dark returned the icon to Smolensk. An exact list of “measure in measure” was taken from her and at that time placed in the Annunciation Cathedral; On July 28, 1525, he was transferred to a monastery.
Vasily III, Grand Duke of Moscow, founded the Novodevichy monastery in 1524 to commemorate his conquest of Smolensk in 1514. The monastery began its history as a fortress on a crooked bend of the Moskva river three versts southwest of the Moscow Kremlin. It became an important part of the southern defensive belt of Moscow, which already included many other monasteries. After its Foundation, the Novodevichy monastery received 3,000 rubles and the villages of Ahabinevo and Troparevo in addition. Vasily's son, Tsar Ivan the terrible (reigned 1533-1584), later granted a number of other villages to the monastery.
The Novodevichy monastery tonsured many women from the Royal families and boyar clans of Russia, who were sometimes forced to take vows. Fyodor I's wife Irina Godunov (lived here in 1598-1603) she lived there with her brother Boris Godunov until he became the new Tsar. Sofia Alekseyevna (sister of Peter the Great's sister, lived here in 1689-1704), Evdokia Lopukhina (first wife of Peter the Great, lived here in 1727-1731) and others. In 1610-1611, the Polish division under the command of Alexander Gosiewska captured the Novodevichy convent. When the Russian troops returned the monastery, Tsar Mikhail Fyodorovich provided it with permanent soldiers (100 Streltsy in 1616, 350 soldiers in 1618). At the end of the 17th century, the Novodevichy monastery had 36 villages (164,215 acres of land) in 27 counties of Russia. In 1744, he owned 14,489 peasants.
In the middle of the 17th century, nuns from other monasteries in the Ukrainian and Belarusian lands were transferred to the Novodevichy monastery, the first of which was Elena Dyevochkina. In 1721, some elderly nuns who had renounced the old believers ' movement were given shelter. In 1724, the Novodevichy monastery also housed a military hospital for soldiers and officers of the Imperial Russian army and a shelter for foundling women. By 1763, the monastery had 84 nuns, 35 novices, and 78 sick patients and servants. Each year, the state provided Novodevichy monastery with 1,500 rubles, 1,300 quarters of bread, 680 rubles, and 480 quarters of bread for more than 250 abandoned children.
In 1812, Napoleon's army tried to blow up the Novodevichy monastery, but the nuns managed to save the monastery from destruction. In Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, Pierre was to be executed under the walls of a monastery, but narrowly escaped his fate. In another of his novels, Anna Karenina, Konstantin Levin meets his future wife while she was skating near the walls of the Novodevichy monastery. Indeed, Devichye field (meadow in front of the monastery) was the most popular skating rink in Moscow of the 19th century. Tolstoy himself enjoyed skating here when he lived nearby, in the Khamovniki district.
In 1871, the Filatiev brothers donated money to the Novodevichy monastery orphanage for orphans of "ignoble origin". In addition, the convent housed two almshouses for nuns and novices. In the early 1900s, the Cathedral was renovated and restored by the architect and curator Ivan Mashkov. By 1917, the Novodevichy monastery had 51 nuns and 53 lay people.
The Soviet period and beyond
In 1922, the Bolsheviks closed the Novodevichy monastery (the last Cathedral was closed in 1929) and turned it into a Museum of women's emancipation. By 1926, the Novodevichy monastery was turned into a Museum of history and art. In 1934, it became affiliated with the State historical Museum. Most of its buildings were converted into apartments, which saved the monastery from destruction.
In 1943, when Stalin introduced some relief for the Russian Orthodox Church during world war II, he authorized the opening of Moscow theological courses at the Novodevichy monastery. The following year, the institution was transformed and became the Moscow theological Institute. In 1945, the Soviets returned the assumption Cathedral to the faithful. The residence of Metropolitan Krutitsky and Kolomna has been located in the Novodevichy monastery since 1980.
In 1994, the nuns returned to the monastery, which is currently run by the Metropolitan of Krutitsky and Kolomna. Some of the churches and other monastic buildings are still associated with the State historical Museum. In 1995, religious services resumed in the monastery on the days of the patron Saint.
Declaration of a UNESCO world heritage site
In 2004, the Novodevichy monastery was declared a UNESCO world heritage site. The UNESCO group's assessment confirmed that the monastery is the most striking example of the so-called "Moscow Baroque". In addition to the beautiful architecture and decorative details, the monastery is characterized by urban planning value. The team also noted that the Novodevichy monastery is an outstanding example of an exceptionally well-preserved monastic complex. The Novodevichy monastery complex combines the political and cultural character of the existing world heritage site of the Moscow Kremlin. Russian Russian Orthodox Christianity and the Russian history of the XVI-XVII centuries are closely connected with the monastery itself.
Fire at the bell tower of the Novodevichy monastery
On March 15, 2015, a fire engulfed the highest bell tower of the Novodevichy monastery, which rises 72 meters. Novodevichy Monastery was undergoing major repairs and was covered with forests. It took firefighters almost three hours to put out the fire. It is reported that the fire affected an area of three hundred square meters, but the fire was limited to forests and did not cause damage to the historical building itself. The suspected cause of the fire was a short circuit caused by heat guns used to dry the facade. The press service of the Moscow Department of cultural heritage blamed the fire on a company that is carrying out restoration work. However, Russian Deputy culture Minister Grigory Pirumov said that heat guns are not used on the territory of the Novodevichy monastery, and the bell tower was disconnected from the power grid.
The building of Novodevichy monastery and monuments
Novodevichy Monastery is located in the South-Western part of the historical city of Moscow. The territory of the monastery is enclosed by walls and surrounded by a Park, which forms a buffer zone. The Park is bounded by the city to the North and East. It is bounded on the West by the Moskva river, and on the South by the city highway. The buildings are surrounded by a high masonry wall with 12 towers. Entrances from the North (city) and South. The location of the monastery territory is an irregular rectangle extending from West to East.
At the end of the XVII century, during the reign of Princess Sophia, a centric architectural ensemble was created around the Smolensk Cathedral, in which the Cathedral turned out to be the center of the intersection of two main axes. The North-South axis is formed by two gate churches, and the West-East axis is formed by the bell tower and refectory. According to the document of the second half of the XVIII century, the author of this ensemble and the Creator of most of the buildings of the monastery is the architect Peter Potapov-the Creator of the Church of the assumption on Pokrovka, close in stylistic features to the buildings of Novodevichy.
The oldest building in the Novodevichy monastery is the six-column, five-domed Smolensk Cathedral, dedicated to the icon of our lady of Smolensk. It is located in the center of the complex between two entrance gates. Available documents date its construction to 1524-1525. However, fragments of its first floor and the projecting Central pediment are typical of monastic cathedrals built later during the reign of Ivan the terrible. Most scholars agree that the Cathedral was rebuilt in the 1550s or 1560s. Previously, it was surrounded by four small chapels, reminiscent of the Annunciation Cathedral in the Kremlin. His frescoes are among the best in Moscow. At the altar of the funeral of the great but little-known General Alexey Brusilov, a hero of the First World war, who made the Brusilov breakthrough.
The Cathedral is the largest Church of the Novodevichy monastery, but not the only one. Most of the churches date back to the 1680s, when the monastery was completely renovated by order of Sofia Alekseyevna (who, paradoxically, was later imprisoned here). The blood-red walls, two tall churches outside the gates, a refectory, and residential cells were designed in the Moscow Baroque style, presumably by the architect Peter Potapov. In the old Cathedral in 1685, a new bowl for Holy water and a gilded carved iconostasis were installed. Its four tiers contain icons of the 16th century, made on the gifts of Boris Godunov; the fifth level displays icons of leading artists of the XVII century, Simeon Ushakov and Fyodor Zubov.
The slender bell tower of the Novodevichy monastery, also commissioned by Princess Sofia, was built in six tiers at a height of 72 meters, making it the tallest structure in 18th-century Moscow (after the bell tower of Ivan the Great in the Kremlin). Six-tiered bell tower in the Naryshkin style, 72 meters high (late XVII), with alternating openwork and" deaf " tiers, at that time the highest bell tower in Moscow after Ivan the Great. There is an opinion (confirmed by an analysis of proportions) that the bell tower should have been seven — tiered-but was not completed due to the overthrow of Princess Sophia in 1689. This white octagonal column seems to combine all the main elements of the ensemble into one harmonious whole.
Necropolis and cemetery
The necropolis of the Novodevichy monastery existed already in the 16th century. Like other Moscow monasteries (in particular, Danilov and Donskoy), the monastery was a popular place among the Russian nobility as a burial place. Sergei Solovyov and Alexey Brusilov are only two of the many prominent Muscovites buried within the monastery walls. The hero of the Napoleonic campaign Denis Davydov is also buried on the territory.
In 1898-1904, the so-called Novodevichy cemetery was created near the southern wall. Anton Chekhov was one of the first writers to be buried in the new cemetery, and Nikolai Gogol was later reburied here. During the Soviet era, it was turned into the most high-profile cemetery in the Soviet Union, where Pyotr Kropotkin, Nikita Khrushchev, Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitry Shostakovich, Konstantin Stanislavsky, Boris Yeltsin and Mstislav Rostropovich were buried.
In the 1930s, the monastery necropolis was subjected to "reconstruction", as a result of which only about 100 tombstones out of 2000 survived. The graves of such figures as the Minister of war D. A. Milyutin, generals S. S. Apraksin and A. F. Baggovut, philanthropist I. S. Maltsov, and educator L. I. Polivanov were lost.
The first wife of Peter I, tsarina Evdokia Fyodorovna Lopukhina, became a monk Elena (August 27, 1731).
Tsarevna: Sofia Alekseevna, in schema Sofia (July 3, 1704); Evdokia Alekseevna (may 10, 1712); Ekaterina Alekseevna (may 1, 1718).
Tsarevna: Anna Ivanovna, daughter of Ivan the terrible (July 20, 1550); Elena Ivanovna Sheremeteva, in the monastic life of Leonid (December 25, 1596).
Around the Cathedral and the assumption Church
Abbesses: methodia (Yakushkina) (February 10, 1845); paisia (Nudolskaya) (January 25, 1871); Leonid (Ozerov) (January 18, 1920); Seraphim (Chernaya) (December 16, 1999).
Nun Sarah, Treasurer (March 18, 1840).
Nun Feofania, novice of the monk Elena (December 18, 1511).
Tatiana Levshina, mother of Metropolitan Plato of Moscow (18 December 1511).
President of the justice College Yakovlev A. A. (1781) and members of his family.
Heroes of the war of 1812: the poet Denis Vasilyevich Davydov (1839); Dmitry Mikhailovich Volkonsky (may 7, 1835); Volkonsky S. A.
Generals: Lev korneevich Pashchenko. (1834); Vasily Ivanovich Timofeev (1850); Mikhail Fyodorovich Orlov (1842); Moscow military Governor-General Pavel Alekseevich Tuchkov (1864); Minister of war, field Marshal Dmitry Milyutin (1912).
Participants in the Decembrist uprising: S. N. Trubetskoy (1860); Alexander Nikolayevich Muravyov (December 18, 1863); Matvey Ivanovich Muravyov-Apostol (1886).
Writers: Alexander Aleksandrovich Shakhovskoy (1848); Mikhail Nikolaevich Zagoskin (1852); Ivan Ivanovich Lazhechnikov (1869); Alexey feofilaktovich Pisemsky (1881); N. V. Sushkov (1871); poet and translator Alexey Nikolaevich Pleshcheev (1871).
Historians: Alexander Ivanovich Turgenev (1845); Mikhail Petrovich Pogodin (1875); Sergey Mikhailovich Solovyov (1879); Church historian and theologian Gilyarov-Platonov N. P. (1887); count Alexey Sergeevich Uvarov (1884), scientist-archaeologist, founder of the Moscow Archaeological Society and Historical Museum).
Philologists: Osip Maksimovich bodyansky (September 6, 1877); Fyodor Ivanovich Buslaev (1897).
Philosophers: Vladimir Sergeevich Solovyov (1900); Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin (1920).
Lawyers: E. E. Luminarsky (1883); M. V. dukhovskoy (1903); Nikolai Lvovich duvernois (1906).
Professors of medicine: Ostroumov A. A. (1908); Bubnov S. F. (1909); Golubinin L. E. (1912); rein F. A. (1925).
Generals: Alexey Alekseyevich Brusilov (1926); Yakhontov R.N. (1924); Andrey Medardovich Zayonchkovsky (1926).
Some members of the Prokhorov family, owners of the trekhgornaya manufactory and famous benefactors (the tomb).
The well of Babel
According to legend, on the place where they originally tried to lay the Novodevichy monastery, a strong key clogged, so that the construction had to be postponed, and the well and stream were named Babylon. A slab was placed on this spring, and later a chapel was laid, which at the turn of the XVIII—XIX centuries Metropolitan Platon (Levshin) gave to the Kremlin monastery. In 1921, one of the old nuns explained the origin of the name:
"It is called Babylonian because, as the tower of Babel was not completed, so here: they began to build a monastery and the key prevented.»
The center of the monastery is the monumental,
five-domed (originally, apparently, nine-domed, with four aisles at the
corners, like the Annunciation Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin) Smolensk
Cathedral, in the interior of which fresco paintings of the 16th century
have been preserved. The cathedral was built on the model of the
Assumption Cathedral in the Kremlin.
At the end of the 17th century, during the reign of Princess Sophia, a centric architectural ensemble was created around the Smolensky Cathedral, in which the cathedral turned out to be the center of the intersection of two main axes. The north-south axis is formed by two gate churches, and the west-east axis is formed by the bell tower and the refectory. According to a document from the second half of the 18th century, the author of this ensemble and the creator of most of the buildings of the monastery is the architect Pyotr Potapov, the creator of the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Pokrovka, which is close in stylistic features to the buildings of Novodevichy.
A six-tier bell tower in the Naryshkin style, 72 m high (end of the 17th century), with alternating openwork and “deaf” tiers, at that time the highest bell tower in Moscow after Ivan the Great. There is an opinion (confirmed by the analysis of proportions) that the bell tower should have been seven-tiered - but was not completed due to the overthrow of Princess Sophia in 1689. [source not specified 630 days]
Fortress walls with towers were first erected under Boris Godunov, but at the end of the 17th century they were completely rebuilt, and the towers received openwork completions.
In August 2020, scientists from the Institute of Archeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences discovered on the territory of the monastery the remains of the foundations of a tower and a wall built during the reign of Boris Godunov. Stone walls are separated from the line of modern walls by about 15-20 m - therefore, the monastery was about 2⁄5 less and occupied an area of about 3 hectares.
Cathedral Church of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God
1524-1525 or 1560s
Frescoes of 1526-1530, an iconostasis of 1683-1686) with aisles of the apostles Prochorus and Nikanor, the miracle of the Archangel Michael, the martyrs Vera, Nadezhda, Lyubov and their mother Sophia.
The oldest temple of the Novodevichy Convent. It is similar in architecture to the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin, although it differs from it in a number of features. The Smolensk Cathedral is attributed to the work of either Aleviz the New or the architect Nestor (died during the construction of the cathedral). At the beginning of the 20th century, archaeologist Ignatius Stelletsky examined the basement of the cathedral in search of an underground passage.
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary with a refectory
The side chapel - the Apostle John the Theologian, in the baptismal church - Prince Vladimir, in the upper floor of the main church - the Descent of the Holy Spirit.
At the Dormition Church
Height 72 m.
Church of the Monks Varlaam and Joasaph under the bell tower
Church of the Holy Apostle John the Theologian (middle tier of the bell tower)
Naryshkin baroque building
Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior above the Northern Gate (Transfiguration Gate Church)
The temple is active, however, it is closed for free access, as it is the home church of the Metropolitan of Krutitsy and Kolomna. Outside, the temple is surrounded by a balcony-gully. Domes are characteristic of the Ukrainian Baroque. Windows "in two light" give the temple a festive character.
Adjacent to the Transfiguration Church.
Built in 1687-1688 for Princess Ekaterina Alekseevna, daughter of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. The name is named after Evdokia Lopukhina, the first wife of Peter I, who lived here in 1727-1731. The oldest sundial in Moscow has been preserved on the facade. Tiled stoves in the interior.
Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos above the southern gate
(Intercession Gate Church)
The gates are now closed and not in use.
Adjacent to the Church of the Intercession.
Brick chambers with white stone details, built in 1683-1688. They are named after the daughter of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, Princess Maria Alekseevna, who lived here in the 1690s. The building was originally two stories high. For some time, Princess Sophia lived here - perhaps it was then that the third floor appeared near the building in the form of a south-facing tower with a gable roof.
Church of St. Ambrose of Milan
(St. Ambrose Church)
late 16th-17th century
Originally dedicated to John the Baptist, later re-consecrated in honor of Ambrose of Milan. Rebuilt several times.
Chambers of Tsarina Irina Godunova
Together with the refectory, they are located at the St. Ambrose Church.
The two-story building adjoining the church was a refectory until the time when a new one was built with the Assumption Church. The third building was built, apparently, at the end of the 16th century and was intended for Tsarina Irina Godunova. This group of buildings is the oldest buildings of the monastery after the Smolensk Cathedral.
The building of one-story chambers is the largest residential building in the monastery complex. Initially - fraternal cells, then the viceroy also lived here, and in the 19th century the building was converted for nuns-chanters (hence the name).
turn of the 17th and 18th centuries
Stone building, built as a hegumen's cell. Initially, the building had one floor, but in the first half of the 19th century it was built on with a wooden mezzanine and decorated with a portico on pillars.
Streltsy guard at the Naprudnaya Tower
(Chambers of Princess Sophia)
There is a museum exposition in the chambers. In the interior there is a tiled stove of the 17th century. From the small windows of the chambers, Princess Sophia was ordered to look at the rebellious archers hanged near the walls of the monastery. The lower tier of the Naprudnaya Tower is combined with the chambers into one room.
Chambers of Princess Evdokia
late 17th - early 18th century
At the bell tower.
Now - the Moscow Diocesan Administration.
A two-story school building with a balcony on the main facade, built at the expense of N. P. Filatyeva. It was intended for orphans of different classes.
Pyotr Baranovsky lived in this house from 1938 to 1984
Streltsy guard at the Nikolskaya tower
Until the revolution of 1917, there was a chapel in the tower in the name of St. Nicholas, the entrance was hewn from the outside.
Streltsy guardhouse at the Chebotary tower
At the Chebotary tower lived chebotari, that is, shoemakers
Setun archery guard
Archaeologist Ignatius Stelletsky believed that the underground passage came from the Setunskaya tower
late 17th century
A stone two-storey building with a shed roof and a vaulted lower floor, with two chambers on the sides of the vestibule. Initially, it was one-story and intended for household purposes, rebuilt in the first quarter of the 18th century.
In 1898-1903, the architect Sergei Rodionov carried out restoration work to restore the buildings and structures of the monastery. Together with Ivan Mashkov, he restored the Smolensk Cathedral, in particular, changed the shape of the mosquito cover, opened the upper windows of the drum of the central dome, returned the windows of the main volume to their original sizes and shapes, remade the gallery and the porch of the cathedral, and freed fresco painting from later oil painting.
In 1926, the artist Apollinary Vasnetsov depicted a fragment of the wall and tower of the monastery in his painting, and in 2006 a stamp dedicated to this painting was issued in Russia.
Novodevichy Cemetery, Novodevichy Ponds and a square are located near the monastery, along the bank of the pond there is an alley leading to a white-stone bridge and a square.
According to the information of the “Moscow that does not exist” project, unauthorized construction of garages and other structures is currently being carried out on the territory of the monastery, and the demolition of the necropolis, which began in the 1930s, continues.
In 2016, the Bank of Russia issued coins (made of silver and gold) dedicated to the monastery.
From the time of construction, the Smolensk Cathedral
served as a resting place for the nuns, the nobility, and later also
persons of other classes. After the decree of 1771 was issued, which
forbade the burial of the dead in cities, a noble necropolis began to
form on the territory of the monastery, especially close to the city
limits. By the beginning of the 20th century, there was practically no
free space for new burials.
In 1898, the city authorities ordered to allocate a site outside the southern wall of the monastery for the Novodevichy Cemetery, where the ashes of prominent cultural figures from other necropolises intended for destruction were transferred in Soviet times. In the middle of the 20th century, the cemetery became the most prestigious burial place for the Soviet elite after the Kremlin wall.
In the 1930s, the monastery necropolis was subjected to "reconstruction", as a result of which only about 100 tombstones out of 2000 survived. The graves of such figures as Minister of War D. A. Milyutin, Generals S. S. Apraksin and A. F. Baggovut, philanthropist I. S. Maltsov, educator L. I. Polivanov turned out to be lost.
The first wife of Peter I, Empress Evdokia Fedorovna Lopukhina, in monasticism Elena (August 27, 1731).
Princesses: Sofya Alekseevna, in the schema Sophia (July 3, 1704); Evdokia Alekseevna (May 10, 1712); Ekaterina Alekseevna (May 1, 1718).
Princesses: Anna Ivanovna, daughter of Ivan the Terrible (July 20, 1550); Elena Ivanovna Sheremeteva, monastic Leonid (December 25, 1596).
Around the Cathedral and Assumption Church
Abbesses: Methodius (Yakushkina) (February 10, 1845); Paisia (Nudolskaya) (January 25, 1871); Leonid (Ozerov) (January 18, 1920); Seraphim (Black) (December 16, 1999).
Nun Sarah, Treasurer (March 18, 1840).
Nun Theophania, novice of the Monk Helena (December 18, 1511).
Tatyana Levshina, mother of Metropolitan Platon of Moscow (December 18, 1511).
President of the College of Justice Yakovlev A. A. (1781) and members of his family.
Heroes of the war of 1812: poet Denis Vasilyevich Davydov (1839); Dmitry Mikhailovich Volkonsky (May 7, 1835); Volkonsky S. A.
Generals: Lev Korneevich Pashchenko. (1834); Vasily Ivanovich Timofeev (1850); Mikhail Fedorovich Orlov (1842); Moscow military governor-general Pavel Alekseevich Tuchkov (1864); Minister of War, Field Marshal Dmitry Alekseevich Milyutin (1912).
Participants in the Decembrist uprising: Trubetskoy, Sergei Petrovich (1860); Alexander Nikolaevich Muravyov (December 18, 1863); Matvey Ivanovich Muravyov-Apostol (1886).
Writers: Alexander Alexandrovich Shakhovskoy (1848); Mikhail Nikolaevich Zagoskin (1852); Ivan Ivanovich Lazhechnikov (1869); Alexey Feofilaktovich Pisemsky (1881); Sushkov N. V. (1871); poet and translator Alexei Nikolaevich Pleshcheev (1871).
Historians: Alexander Ivanovich Turgenev (1845); Mikhail Petrovich Pogodin (1875); Sergei Mikhailovich Solovyov (1879); church historian and theologian Gilyarov-Platonov N.P. (1887); Count Aleksey Sergeevich Uvarov (1884), archaeologist, founder of the Moscow Archaeological Society and the Historical Museum).
Philologists: Osip Maksimovich Bodyansky (September 6, 1877); Fyodor Ivanovich Buslaev (1897).
Philosophers: Vladimir Sergeevich Solovyov (1900); Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin (1920).
Lawyers: Luminarsky E. E. (1883); Dukhovskoy M. V. (1903); Nikolay Lvovich Duvernoy (1906).
Professors of Medicine: Ostroumov A. A. (1908); Bubnov S. F. (1909); Golubinin L. E. (1912); Rein F. A. (1925).
Generals: Alexey Alekseevich Brusilov (1926); Yakhontov R. N. (1924); Andrey Medardovich Zaionchkovsky (1926).
Some members of the Prokhorov family, owners of the Trekhgornaya manufactory and well-known benefactors (tomb).
According to the guide to the Novodevichy Convent in
2009, the abbesses of the monastery were:
1525 - November 18, 1547 (died) - Reverend Elena (Girl).
1547-1556 - Evnikia.
1556-1573 - Eupraxia.
1574-1586 - Stephanida.
?-? - Anna.
1597-1602 - Evdokia.
?-? — Theognia.
1605-1612 - Domnica.
1613-1615 - Maria (Chirikova).
1623-1629 - Feofania (Okhlyabinina).
1630-1651 - Anfisa.
?-? (mentioned in 1655, since 1666 in the Moscow Ascension Monastery) - Irinarch (Timiryazev).
1656 (from the Kuteinsky Monastery) - 1683 - Melania (Erchakova) (died in 1688).
January 1683 - December 6, 1689 (died) - Antonina.
1690 - July 8, 1693 (died) - Anastasia (Khotskovskaya).
1693-1701 - Pamphylia (Potemkin).
1718 (from the Moscow Alekseevsky Monastery) - 1738 (died) - Olympiad (Kakhovskaya).
December 1738 - July 15, 1746 (died) - Anastasia (Galekeevskaya).
1746 (from the Smolensk Ascension Monastery) - October 17, 1771 (died) - Innokenty (Kelpinskaya).
February 4, 1772 (from the Tambov Ascension Monastery) - March 8, 1794 (died) - Palladia (Durova).
1794 (from the Moscow Ivanovsky Monastery[specify]) - January 1808 - Elizabeth.
1808 (from the Moscow Passion Monastery) - February 9, 1846 - Methodius (Yakushkin).
March 1846 (from the Moscow Alekseevsky Monastery) - April 13, 1854 - Claudius.
1854 (from the Moscow Alekseevsky Monastery) - 1861 (to the Moscow Ascension Monastery) - Paisia (Nudolskaya) (died January 25, 1871).
1861 (from the Moscow Nikitsky Monastery) - March 1867 (to retire to the Moscow Conception Monastery) - Vera (Golovina) (died in 1874).
1867 - January 12, 1885 (died) - Evpraksia (Mosolova).
March 29, 1885 - March 1908 (died) - Antonia (Kablukova).
1908 (from the Serpukhov Vladychny Monastery) - 1919 - Leonida (Ozerova) (died January 18, 1920).
1919-1922 - Vera (Pobedimskaya) (died February 3, 1949).
November 24, 1994 - December 16, 1999 (deceased) - Seraphim (Black).
December 16, 1999 (from the Spaso-Borodino Monastery) - December 27, 2007 (to the Spaso-Borodino Monastery) - Seraphim (Isaeva).
December 27, 2007 (from the Kolychev Kazan Monastery) - Margarita (Feoktistova).