Taganka is the southeastern part of the center of Moscow. The name
Taganka came from Tagannaya Sloboda, where tagans were made - stands for
boilers in the form of an iron tripod. The word "tagan", apparently, is
of Turkic origin and was brought to Moscow by the Tatars, who settled
not only in Zamoskvorechie, but also in Zayauzie: if only beyond some
river. To the southeast of the masters of the taganka business, masons
were located, who brought the names Big and Small Stonemasons to Moscow
toponymy - these streets are located behind the Garden Ring, starting
from Taganskaya Square.
Tagans turned out to be nicer to the Moscow ear than masons or, for example, matting (Rogozhskaya Sloboda was located to the northeast, in the area of \u200b\u200bthe modern Ilyich Square), so the whole Zayauzye gradually began to be called Taganka - apparently, the one that operated until 1950 played a significant role in this. x years. Taganka prison, to which the famous thieves song "Taganka" is dedicated.
If the northern border of Taganka runs along the Yauza, and the western border along the Moscow River, then the southern one is blurred. In this guide, Taganka covers the entire territory up to the Third Ring, that is, the Tagansky district of the Central District, part of the Danilovsky District of the Southern District and part of the Yuzhnoportovy District of the South-Eastern District.
Inside the Garden Ring
1 Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin in Gonchary, st. Goncharnaya, 29. In 1654, local potters built a new stone single-altar Assumption Church. In 1702, the Assumption chapel was rebuilt, and a refectory with a chapel of Tikhon, Bishop of Amaphunte, was built on the site of the dismantled narthex. Between 1764-1774, a three-tiered bell tower was built in the post-Peter baroque style. In the same years, the temple acquired a color that can be seen on the modern temple.
2 Church of St. Nikita the Martyr on Shviva Gorka behind the Yauza (Athos Compound), st. Pottery, 4-6. The stone temple was built in 1595. In 1684-1685, a hipped bell tower was added to the temple from the northwestern side and the southern chapel of the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos was built with an adjoining refectory and a northern portal. In the 1740s, the chapel of the Monks Onufry the Great and Peter the Athos, the main iconostasis, was built. Of the original features of the temple, one can note an open gallery-gullbishche, from which a view of the Moscow River used to open. In the years 1878-1880, a chapel of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Princess Olga with a separate entrance was built on the northwestern side.
3 Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker on Bolvanovka, Verkhnyaya Radishchevskaya st., 20.
4 Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Kotelniki, 1st Kotelnichesky per. 8.
5 Church of St. Simeon the Stylite behind the Yauza, Nikoloyamskaya st. 8.
6 Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on Lyshchikov Hill, Lyshchikov per. 10.
7 Church of St. Martin the Confessor, st. Alexander Solzhenitsyn 15/2.
8 Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Students, st. Taganskaya 20/4.
Intercession Monastery, st. Taganskaya, 58. ☎ +7 (495) 911-49-20, +7 (495) 911-81-66. A women's stauropegial monastery, founded as a men's one in 1635 by Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich in memory of his father, Patriarch Filaret.
9 Church of the Intercession of the Virgin.
10 Church of the Resurrection of the Word.
Ilyich Square Rimskaya
11 Ensemble of the Rogozhskaya Yamskaya Sloboda, Shkolnaya Street 12-48 (Section between Bolshaya Andronievskaya and Rogozhsky Val).
12 Church of St. Alexis, Metropolitan of Moscow, in Rogozhskaya Sloboda, st. Stanislavsky, 29.
13 Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh in Rogozhskaya Sloboda, st. Nikolo-Yamskaya, 57-59.
14 Andronikov Monastery.
15 Savior Cathedral.
16 Church of Michael the Archangel
Krestyanskaq Zastava/ Peasant Outpost
Proletarskaya Krestyanskaq Zastava
17 Krutitsy Patriarchal Compound, Krutitskaya street, 13. ☎ +7 (495)
676-30-93. Access to the territory is possible during the daytime. For
free. According to one version, it was founded in the 13th century,
first as a monastery, and then as the residence of the bishops of Sarsky
18 Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The current church, which existed already in 1454. Subsequently, it was rebuilt many times, the current version of the temple was built in 1689.
19 Church of the Resurrection of the Word.
20 Novospassky Monastery, Peasant Square, 10. ☎ +7 (495) 676-95-70. Tours are held at 12:00 and 15:00 with a minimum of four people, 250 rubles per person. Founded in 1490 by Grand Duke Ivan III, when during the reconstruction of Krem the Kremlin monastery of the Savior on Bor was moved here. Only four years after its foundation, the first stone cathedral was built - the Transfiguration of the Savior.
21 The bell tower of the Novospassky Monastery. It was built in 1759-1785 with a height of 78 meters and for many years remained one of the highest in all of Moscow. Inside is the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh.
22nd Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. Built in the 1670s.
23 Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "The Sign" (Znamenskaya Church). Built in 1791-1795, architect E. Nazarov.
24 Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior. Built in 1645-1649, painted by the Kostroma painter Gury Nikitin. In the basement of the church is the family tomb of the Romanov family.
25 Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.
26 Church of the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste, st. Dinamovskaya, 28 (opposite the main entrance to the Novospassky Monastery). ☎ +7 (495) 676-69-14. 9:00-21:00, open one hour earlier on weekends. Presumably, a wooden church existed on this site as early as the 16th century. In 1644-45, a stone church was built instead, which was subsequently rebuilt many times. In 1811, the Empire bell tower was completed, half destroyed in Soviet times and restored in the 1990s.
27 Simonov Monastery, st. Vostochnaya, 4. The monastery, founded in 1379. The name of the monastery is largely associated with St. Sergius of Radonezh. In the 20-30s of the 20th century, under Soviet rule, the monastery was abolished, most of the buildings were destroyed, only the southern wall and 3 towers with it survived (although, alas, they are in an abandoned state), as well as one of the six churches and several ancillary buildings. On the site of the demolished buildings in 1932-1937, the ZIL Palace of Culture was built. In recent years, restoration of church buildings has been carried out, access to the church is open, where extremely hospitable deaf-mute servants demonstrate halls located on several levels, the main part of the territory is closed to the public.
28 Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin in Stary Simonov, st. Vostochnaya, 6 (on the territory of the business quarter "Simonovsky"). ☎ +7 (495) 675-70-11. 7:30 - 17:00 or until the end of the evening service. In 1370, the Simonov Monastery was built on the site of this church, but already in 1379 it was moved to a new place, but the church remained. In 1509-1510 it was replaced by a stone one. Subsequently, it was rebuilt, and only its lower half remained from the original version. In 2006, the bell tower, destroyed in the Soviet years, was restored. Burials of the heroes of the Battle of Kulikovo were found on the territory of the church, including the graves of Alexander Peresvet and Andrey Oslyabi.
29 Avtozavodskaya Square. At the eastern border of the square there is a monument to the militias of the Proletarsky district, who died in the Great Patriotic War, opened on May 6, 1980.
1 Museum of the Russian Icon, Goncharnaya st., 3, building 1
(entrance from Bolshoi Vatin Lane) ( Taganskaya, Marxistskaya). ✉ ☎
+7-495-221-52-83, fax: +7-495-221-52-84. Daily from 11:00 to 19:00,
except Wednesday. Visiting the museum is currently free. The largest
private museum of Eastern Christian art in Russia. The art project of
its founder, Mikhail Abramov, resurrects one of the best domestic
traditions of Russian patronage, which a century ago served as the
beginning of the collection, study and connoisseurship of Russian icons.
2 Museum-apartment of G. S. Ulanova, Kotelnicheskaya embankment, 1/15, apt. 185. ☎ 4447 +7 (495) 915 4447. Sun–Thursday 11:00–19:00. 300 rubles, excursion - from 1000 rubles, photography - 100 rubles. In 2004, a museum of the world-famous ballerina Galina Ulanova (1910-1998) was opened in a high-rise building on Kotelnicheskaya Embankment. It was created in the apartment where the ballerina spent the last twelve years of her life. The furnishings of the four-room apartment are completely preserved; photographs, posters, letters and stage costumes tell about the creative path of Ulanova. A visit to the museum is a rare opportunity to look at the famous Stalinist skyscraper from the inside. Pre-registration by phone is required.
3 Museum of vintage cars, st. Rogozhsky Val, 9/2 ( Rimskaya, Ilyich Square). ☎ +7-495-678-0291. Daily from 10:00 to 21:00, except Monday. Here you can immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the past, in those distant times when the car was an unprecedented innovation, luxury and pride. The basis of the museum's exposition is made up of cars from the Motors of October collection. Among them are the pre-war GAZ-A and the famous "Emka", the cars of the Stalin era, the military three-ton ZiS-5 and the representative ZiS-110. The entire line of "Moskvich": from the rarest KIM-10 and "Moskvich" 400-421 to the latest models of the plant. The exposition is located conveniently for children and disabled people in wheelchairs.
4 BUNKER-42 Cold War Museum, 5th Kotelnichesky lane, 11.
5 Water Museum of Mosvodokanal JSC (Metro station "Proletarskaya") , Sarinsky proezd, 13. ☎ (495) 676-92-13, 676-26-89. Mon - Fri 10:00 - 17:00, Friday closes one hour earlier. The entrance is free. The museum is located on the territory of the first sewage pumping station in Moscow, put into operation in 1898 and serving 219 households. The museum building itself was built later in 1947-1948. On its two floors, there are many exhibits introducing the history of the emergence and development of Moscow's water supply networks.
6 Palace of Culture ZIL (Cultural Center ZIL), st. Vostochnaya, 4, building 1, (m. Avtozavodskaya). ☎ +7 (495) 675-1636. 10:00 - 22:00. Built in the 1930s on the territory of the necropolis of the Simonov Monastery. The most important constructivist architectural monument in Moscow, designed by the Vesnin brothers. Now it is used as a concert hall, several creative circles also work here.
There are many grocery stores in the area, both chain and individual. Some shops are open around the clock (Crossroads near the Proletarskaya metro station and near the cinemas Pobeda and Magnolia on Vorontsovskaya Street.)
Tapchan, St. Sergius of Radonezh 2 (Andronevskaya Square, Ilyich Square Rimskaya). Dishes in the region of 200-300 r (2014). Good selection of Central Asian food and good quality although prices could be lower. Huge hall, a choice of seats in the hall and on the street.
Maxima Panorama Hotel, Masterkova Street, 4 ( Avtozavodskaya). ✉ ☎ +7 (495) 788-72-72. From 4500 rub.
The word "tagan" is practically not used now, it has almost
disappeared from the Russian language (in contrast to diminutive caress.
Taganok, which remains common). But the memory of this word is kept in
the names of Taganskaya Square and Taganskaya Street. Craftsmen who made
tagans lived in the Taganskaya Sloboda. Tagans were called stands for
cauldrons in the form of an iron tripod with a circle at the top, on
which iron cauldrons were placed for cooking food and under which a fire
was made (the most common interpretation), or a kind of frying pan. The
word "Taganka" comes from the Tatar steppes - Turkism. In ancient times,
there was a Tatar settlement in Zamoskvorechye, since the Tatars settled
mostly near those ends of Moscow, from which they entered from their
Horde. After the destruction of the dominion of the Tatars and their
acceptance of Russian citizenship, they settled down and settled along
adjacent and distant streets, giving them their own names: Ordynka
(horde, rabble), Balchug (beam; that is, a ravine, gully), Taganka.
The name of the area came from Tagannaya Sloboda, located within the Zemlyanoy Gorod, in the area of modern Upper and Lower Radishevsky streets. Blacksmiths, residents of the settlement, made tagans - tripods for boilers used by Moscow troops. The center of the settlement is the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker on Bolvanovka (Verkhnyaya Radishchevskaya St., 20). Teterinskaya, Goncharnaya, Boiler settlements were located in the neighborhood.
In the 18th century, the name Taganka spread to the settlements of masons outside Zemlyanoy Gorod (see Bolshie Kamenshchiki Street); The Upper and Lower Taganskaya Squares (now united into one Taganskaya Square) became large shopping centers. In 1804, the Taganskaya prison was built on Malye Kamenshchiki Street (it was demolished in the 1950s).
In the center of the district, on Taganskaya Square, there are the
Taganskaya and Marxistskaya metro stations, in the southeast, the
Proletarskaya metro station of the Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya line
(with a transfer to the Krestyanskaya Zastava station of the
Lyublinsko-Dmitrovskaya line), as well as station "Ploshchad Ilyicha" of
the Kalininskaya-Solntsevskaya line and "Rimskaya" of the
Lyublinsko-Dmitrovskaya line. Not far from the latter is the Hammer and
Trams A, B, 12, 20, 24, 38, 43, 45, 46, buses B, m7, m27, 51, 74, 106, 156, 255, 567, 901, t26, t27, t53, t63 pass through the area , n5, n7.