Holy Trinity Barnickiy Monastery was found by archbishop Ephraim in 1427. It was dedicated to Saint Sergius of Radonezh who was born and raised in a small village of Barnickiy on the outskirts of Rostov. Today it is considered to be a suburb. For most of its history Holy Trinity Barnickiy Monastery was made of wooden buildings. Its main Holy Trinity Cathedral was build in stone only in 1763- 71. In 1826- 28 Winter Vvedenskaya Church was constructed by finances donated by merchants of Rostov. Life of the Orthodox Community ended in 1919 when monks were arrested, executed or exiled from the area. Today The monastery is returned to its rightful owners, Russian Orthodox Church and its complex is being reconstructed.