Anichkov Palace stands near Anichkov Bridge. It was commissioned in 1741
to architect Mikhail Zemtsov. At the time of its construction this
palace was located at the outskirts of the old Saint Petersburg. The
privacy was a must, since the new owner of the palace was Aleksey
Razumovsky, secret husband of the empress. Elizabeth and Razumovsky or
"Night Emperor" as he was known even had a child together, Duchness
Tarakanova. The decorations of the palaces were completed by famous
Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli who added Baroque decorations to the
facade of the buildings.
New Empress Catherine II the Great gave Anichkov Palace to a new lover
Grigoriy Potemkin who ordered its reconstruction in 1776- 78 under
supervision of architect Ivan Starov. The whole building got a face life
a new neo- classical facade that was quiet popular in a Russian capital
at the time. After the October Revolution of 1917 it became a museum of
the city and later as Leningrad's Pioneers' (Soviet Boys Scouts) Palace.
Now it is named Palace of Youth Creativity and one of its wings holds