Saint Catherine's Armenian Church, Saint Petersburg

The Church of St. Catherine (арм. Սանկտ Պետերբուրգի Սուրբ Կատարինե եկեղեցի) is the temple of the Armenian Apostolic Church in St. Petersburg. Located at Nevsky Prospekt, 40-42.

 

History

The first Armenians appeared in St. Petersburg almost immediately after the founding of the city. In 1710 they created their own community. At this time they gathered in private houses. The first petition for the construction of an Armenian church from Archimandrite Minas was submitted in 1714, but was rejected by the authorities. Only on September 25 (October 6), 1725, the metropolitan community, numbering 30 households, received the consent of the Synod to open a prayer house in a wooden building on the 3rd line of Vasilyevsky Island. In January 1740, Luka Shirvanov (Ghukas Shirvanyan) received permission to build "a small stone Armenian church at his expense." But after the death of Anna Ioannovna, the construction stopped. In accordance with the manifesto issued in July 1763, on the free practice of church rites by all peoples who settled in Russia, places were allocated in both capitals for the construction of churches of other faiths and buildings associated with them.

On May 22 (June 2), 1770, according to the petition of the head of the Armenian community, I. L. Lazarev (Hovhannes Lazaryan), “with other Armenians”, Catherine II verbally ordered “to allow them to build a church in St. Petersburg”. A place for the church was allotted on the site of the former Small Court Stables "in a noble position near the capital on Bolshoy Prospekt, opposite the stone Gostiny Dvor, which is why the construction of the church required considerable capital ...".

The work was carried out according to the project of Yu. M. Felten rather quickly, and already in 1772 the church was consecrated. Its construction cost 33 thousand rubles. I. L. Lazarev personally donated 30 thousand rubles for the construction of the temple, for which the church was built in accordance with the ceremonial splendor of the center of the capital. For such a service, the community allowed him to build his own house on church land on the south side in line with the development of the avenue (Nevsky Prospekt, 42). The residential building built according to the project of Felten cost Lazarev 50,000 rubles. The construction of the northern wing was carried out a decade later. Having built the buildings entirely with his own money, Lazarev thereby strengthened the authority of the most influential person in the Armenian community. He later sold the houses for the same price to the parish.

On February 18, 1780, the Armenian Archbishop Joseph (Argutinsky), with the participation of eight priests and in the presence of Prince G. A. Potemkin-Tauride, consecrated the temple in the name of the Great Martyr Catherine, the heavenly patroness of the Empress. The church became the center of Armenian culture in St. Petersburg: a printing house and a national school were opened under it, which still operates to this day.

In 1794-1797, gates were built in front of the church.

In 1841, the first major overhaul of the church was carried out by the architect L. F. Vendramini.

At the end of 1858, a cast-iron gate grill was installed, cast at the Chopin factory according to the project of N.P. Grebenka (existed until the end of the 19th century).

In 1865, the original turret was turned into a belfry for three bells.

In 1887, the artist I. K. Aivazovsky presented the community with the painting “Christ on Lake Tiberias”.

In 1900-1906 A. I. Tamanyan made a new overhaul of the building, strengthening the walls and ceilings and making choirs.

In 1915, particles of the relics of the Apostle Thaddeus and St. Gregory the Illuminator were transferred from the sacristy of the Great Church of the Winter Palace. The parish was subordinate to the Nakhichevan-Bessarabian episcopate with the center in Chisinau.

In May 1930 the church was closed. In 1931-1934 it was divided by ceilings. The building housed the headquarters of the air defense, and after the war - the workshop of the scenery of the theater of musical comedy.

In 1990, the Armenian community, headed by a descendant of O. Lazaryan, Vyacheslav Pashaevich Lazaryan, requested the return of the church. On March 14, 1993, the first service was held in it, after which restoration began.

The complete consecration of the temple was carried out on July 12, 2000 by the Patriarch-Catholicos of All Armenians Garegin II in the presence of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Rus'. On that day, the relics of St. Gregory were returned to the community from the Hermitage.

 

Architecture

The church was built between 1771 and 1776 (or up to 1779 in some accounts) under the patronage of Empress Catherine II. The Armenian community, present in the city since its founding, received the site—formerly occupied by imperial stables—through a 1770 decree. Prominent Armenian merchant and court jeweler Ivan (Hovhannes) Lazarev (Lazaryan) largely funded it, donating around 30,000 rubles. Architect Yuri (Georg Friedrich) Felten (1730–1801), a leading figure in early St. Petersburg Classicism, designed it. The church was consecrated on February 18, 1780, by Archbishop Joseph (Hovsep) Argutinsky in honor of St. Catherine, the patron saint of the Empress, with Prince Grigory Potemkin in attendance.
Felten positioned the church in the depth of the lot, aligned with flanking residential buildings (Nos. 40 and 42, also by him or his circle), creating a recessed ensemble that enhances its visibility and prominence along the grand Nevsky Prospect. This arrangement echoes similar setups for other non-Orthodox churches on the avenue.

Exterior Architecture
The church exemplifies early Russian Classicism with restrained elegance, symmetry, and proportional harmony, while incorporating subtle Armenian elements. It is a compact, single-domed structure with a light, airy appearance—often described as "graceful" or "festive" against the stricter flanking houses.

Main (South) Facade: Oriented toward Nevsky Prospect due to the site constraints (unusual, as traditional church entrances are typically western). It features a prominent Ionic portico with columns raised on pedestals for added height and slenderness. The portico has a strong projection, flanked by walls with pilasters. Above the entrance, angels (putti) place a cross, a Baroque-inspired motif. The triangular pediment contains a multi-figure bas-relief depicting Catholicos Gregory the Illuminator baptizing King Trdat III (Tiridates III) in 301 AD—the event that made Armenia the first nation to adopt Christianity as a state religion. This Armenian-specific historical scene is unique in 18th-century St. Petersburg monumental sculpture.
Walls and Decoration: The facade uses varied openings—rectangular and arched windows on the lower level, smaller circular windows combined with square panels above—for visual interest. Ionic capitals (with "hanging" elements) adorn columns and paired pilasters at corners. Baroque-style bas-reliefs of putti heads in clouds decorate the spaces between windows, blending Classicism with lighter decorative elements.
Dome and Upper Elements: A slender drum supports a spherical dome, topped by a small bell tower (added or modified in 1865 for three bells). The overall silhouette is harmonious and lightweight.
Plan and Orientation: The church has a single eastern apse (traditional for Christian churches), but the southern main entrance creates an asymmetrical internal flow. The floor plan adapts a tetraconch (cross-shaped with four apses or arms) motif common in traditional Armenian architecture, though modified.

The building is set back, "framed" by the symmetrical residential wings, emphasizing its central role in the Armenian community complex. Later additions included gates (1794–1797) and a cast-iron fence (1858).

Interior Architecture
The interior feels spacious and luminous, thanks to large windows and the dome. It prioritizes clarity of lines, light, and restrained ornamentation typical of Classicism.

Columns: Twenty composite-order columns, clad in yellow artificial marble, form the primary decorative and structural element, dividing the space and supporting the vaults.
Vaults and Dome: The dome and altar conch feature painted imitation of coffered (kassetted) ceilings. Murals and decorative painting (possibly involving artist K.L. Khristinek) adorn the surfaces, restored in the 20th century.
Materials and Finishes: Walls and floors use colored artificial and natural marble. The space lacks a traditional Orthodox iconostasis (consistent with Armenian Apostolic tradition) and emphasizes openness and light. Two original marble baptismal fonts from 1782–1784 survive.
Modifications: In 1900–1906, architect Alexander Tamanyan (future designer of Yerevan's master plan) added choirs (galleries), strengthened walls and ceilings, and performed other updates without altering the core design.

Armenian Influences and Adaptations
While the overall style is Russian Classicism (reflecting Felten's training and the imperial context), the design subtly nods to Armenian heritage. The tetraconch-like plan echoes ancient Armenian churches (e.g., comparisons to St. Hripsime). The pediment relief directly references Armenia's Christian origins, blending national identity with the local architectural canon. Scholars note this as an adaptation of Armenian ecclesiastical traditions to Russian Classicism, similar to how other Armenian structures incorporated Byzantine or Sasanian elements.

 

Visiting tips

Visiting Tips (Practical Advice)
Opening Hours: Generally daily 09:00–19:00. Confirm in advance as hours can vary with services or events (call +7 (812) 570-41-08 or check official Armenian church sites).
Admission: Free (donations appreciated). As an active church, it may close or limit access during services.
Best Time to Visit:
Mornings or early afternoons for quieter visits and better light.
Check the schedule for Armenian Divine Liturgy (often around 10:30). Attending a service offers cultural immersion but expect it to be more crowded and formal.
Avoid peak tourist rush on Nevsky (weekends, afternoons).

Dress Code and Etiquette (Important for Armenian Apostolic churches):
Modest clothing: Shoulders and knees covered for both men and women.
Women traditionally cover their heads (scarves often available at entrance).
Men remove hats.
No loud talking, flash photography during services, or disruptive behavior. Be respectful—it's a working house of worship.

Duration: 15–30 minutes for a quick look; longer if attending part of a service or lingering for photos/architecture appreciation.
Photography: Generally allowed outside services, but ask or be discreet inside. No tripods or commercial shoots without permission.
Accessibility: Central location, but check for steps at entrance. Modest size makes it easy to navigate.
Seasonal Notes: St. Petersburg's white nights (summer) make evening exterior views magical. Winters are cold—dress warmly for the short outdoor approach.

Nearby Attractions and Combining Visits
Pair it with:
Kazan Cathedral (short walk).
Shopping/eating at Gostiny Dvor or Passazh.
Armenian or Caucasian cuisine nearby (e.g., khinkali spots) to tie in the cultural theme.
It's a low-key gem on busy Nevsky—ideal for a brief cultural breather during a city tour.