Building of Twelve Colleges was constructed in
1723- 43 under supervision of Italian architect Domenico Trezzini.
This beautiful red and white stuccoed brisk structure measure 400 m
(1300 feet) in length. Its single uninterrupted facade was intended
to show unity of 12 colleges of ministries of the government that
worked together as one organism.
In 1819 part of the buildings was bought by Saint Petersburg
University. It was considered one of the best universities in the country and
throughout Europe. Its graduated included Vladimir Lenin, revolutionary and a
founder of Soviet Union. Other famous included professor Dmitriy Mendeleev
(1834- 1907) founder of periodic table of elements and father of a Russian
Vodka. As far as we know there was no connection between two discoveries, but
who are we kidding.
Other notable professor included physiologist Ivan Pavlov (1849-
1936) famous for his experiments with dogs and reflexes.