Staritskiy Uspenskiy Monastery

Image of Staritskiy Uspenskiy Monastery

Location: Staritsa  Map

Found: first half of 16th century


Staritskiy Uspenskiy Monastery (Старицкий Успенский Монастырь) is located near town of medieval town of Staritsa in Tver Oblast in Russia. Although Russian Orthodox monks lived sparsely in the regions since yearly medieval times the beginning of the monastery is usually dated to the first half of the 16th century then two monks from Kiev Pechersk Lavra came to the region. Trifon and Nikandr constructed few buildings on a grounds that once were owned by duke Andrey of Staritsa, younger son of Ivan III the Great and uncle of Ivan IV the Terrible. Among most notable leaders of the monastery is future first patriarch Job of Moscow who was hegumen (monastery leader) of the monastery between 1559- 1571 before moving to capital. Monastery was closed in 1919 by Bolsheviks and building was simply left unattended. In 1997 the monastery was returned to Russian Orthodox Church and it is currently an active monastery.


History of the monastery

According to legend, the monastery was founded in 1110 by two monks of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra: “... in 1110, two monks from the Kiev caves Tryphon and Nikandr came to the tract Stary Bor and began to live there and teach the word of God to those who came to them.” Gradually, other monks also came here - a desert brotherhood was formed. A wooden church was built, near which settlements, villages arose, and in 1297 the city of Staritsa was founded. The only reliable mention of the monastery that existed in Staritsa dates back to 1312, when the monastery was destroyed during the internecine war between the princes of Tver and Moscow.

The monastery was re-founded in the first half of the 16th century under Prince Andrei Ivanovich Staritsky, although local tradition claims that monastic life was conducted at a small distance from the Volga coast as early as the 12th-13th centuries.

Since 1559, the monastery was ruled by Archimandrite Job, a native of Staritsa. In 1571 he was sent as rector of the Moscow Simonov Monastery, later became the first Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus'.

In 1606, during the reign of False Dmitry, Patriarch Job was sent to the Staritsky Monastery, where he died two years later. At the place of his burial in the corner of the Assumption Cathedral, a four-tiered bell tower with a chapel was built. In 1652, at the behest of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, the relics of Job were solemnly transferred from Staritsa to the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin.

The heyday of the monastery dates back to the 17th century. It differed from other cloisters by an extensive system of underground communications. In 1764, the lands were taken away from the monastery, and only 12 monks remained.

The monastery was closed in 1919, and in the 1930s the wall with corner towers surrounding the monastery was dismantled. In 1944, repairs began in the monastery, but the main buildings remained mothballed.

In 1997, the Holy Synod, chaired by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Rus', decided: “To bless the opening of the Assumption Monastery in the city of Staritsa of the Tver diocese for the resumption of monastic life in it.” By 2013, the monastery buildings were restored to their original form.


Churches and buildings of the monastery

The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1530) of white hewn stone with five large domes, decorated with kokoshniks, was built by Prince Andrei Staritsky. In the temple are the relics of the schema-nun Pelagia, the mother of Patriarch Job.
Stone two-storey rectory building (1530s) with a fraternal refectory, kitchen and cells.
Gate Church in the name of St. John the Theologian (1694) with an arched gallery, built on the site of a brick church that burned down in 1681.
Church of the Entry into the Church of the Most Holy Theotokos (1570), two-storey, tented, with a pointed top, built by Ivan the Terrible.
Trinity Church (1819), stone, two-story, built at the expense of Major General Alexei Tutolmin. On the lower floor is the tomb of the Tutolmins.
Chapel with a font in the name of George the Victorious.
Mausoleum (tomb) of I. F. Glebov, located at the porch of the Assumption Cathedral.
The Patriarchal Metochion of the Holy Dormition Staritsky Monastery is the Church of St. Job Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus' (Moscow, Mozhaisk Highway, 54)



Monk Tryphon (1110-1127)
monk Nikandr (1110-1153)
monk Misail (1110-?)
Monk Porfiry (?-1164)
monk Theodoret (1164-1193)
monk Alexander (1193-1203)
abbot Irinarch (1203 −1203)
abbot Alexander (1203-?)
abbot Gerasim (?-?)
hegumen Simeon (?-1220)
abbot Barsanuphius (1200-?)
hegumen Jonah (?-?)
abbot Nikandr (?-?)
hegumen Kirill (? - ?)
hegumen Isaiah (?-1240)
hegumen Varlaam (1240-?)
Archimandrite Leonid (?-?)
Archimandrite Philaret (? −1272)
Archimandrite Meofody (?-?)
hegumen Lavrentiy (?-?)
hegumen Anthony (?-?)
hegumen Jonah (? - ?)
hegumen of Theodosius (?-?)
hegumen Savva (?-1283)
abbot Simeon (1283 −1289)
abbot Barnabas (1289-1287)
Abbot Cyprian (?-?)
abbot German (?-?)
hegumen Joseph (?-?)
hegumen Arseniy (?-?)
hegumen Bogolep (?-?)
hegumen Serapion (?-1292)
hegumen Dorotheos (1292-1304)
abbot Jacob (1304-1312)
Archimandrite German (1551-1553)
Archimandrite Ignatius (1553-1559)
Archimandrite Job (May 6, 1569[8]—1571)
Archimandrite Pimen (1601-1607)
Archimandrite Dionisy (mid-1605 or August 1607 [9] - 1610)
Archimandrite Methodius (1617-1623)
Archimandrite Joseph (1623-1653)
Archimandrite Leonid (1653-1655)
Archimandrite Tikhon (1655-1658)
Archimandrite Isaiah I (1658-1662)
Archimandrite Varlaam (1662-1669)
Archimandrite Sergius (1669-1672)
Archimandrite Varlaam II (1672-1683)
Archimandrite Isaiah II (1683-1697)
Archimandrite Cornelius (1697-1716)
Archimandrite Joachim (1716-1719)
Archimandrite Melchizedek (1719-1722)
Archimandrite Jonah (1722-1732)
Archimandrite Tarasy (1732-1769)
Archimandrite Bartholomew (1763-1768)
hegumen Filimon (1769-1770)
abbot Christopher (1770-1776)
abbot Macarius (1776-1783)
abbot Arseny (Moskvin) (1783)
abbot Alexander (1783-1785)
abbot Amphilochius (1785−1785)
hegumen Elpidiphoros (1785-1792)
Abbot Pavel (1792-1795)
hegumen Varlaam (1795-1796)
Archimandrite Joasaph (Sretensky) (May 14, 1796-1798)
Archimandrite Anastassy (Schepetilnikov) (October 28, 1798 - September 28, 1806)
hegumen Anthony (1806-1807)
Archimandrite Ioanniky (1807-1808)
Archimandrite Sergius (1808-1808)
Archimandrite Seraphim (1808-1811)
Archimandrite Joasaph (1811-1816)
Archimandrite Vladimir (1816-1818)
Archimandrite Irenaeus (1818-1821)
Archimandrite Innokenty (Alexandrov) (August 15, 1821 - August 2, 1823)
Archimandrite Seraphim (1823-1824)
Archimandrite Anthony (1824-1825)
Archimandrite Macarius (1825-1832)
Archimandrite Alexander (1832-1856)
Archimandrite Theodore (1856-1858)
Archimandrite Adrian (1858-1865)
abbot Meofodiy (1865-1866)
Archimandrite Gabriel (1866-1867)
abbot Polycarp (1868-1871)
abbot Mark (1871-1871)
Archimandrite Gabriel (1871-1884)
abbot Vitaly (1884-1884)
Archimandrite Agafangel (1884-1888)
abbot Arseny I (1888-1894)
abbot Alexy (1894-1894)
abbot Arseny II (1894-1896)
Archimandrite Nicholas (1896-1905)
hegumen Tikhon (1905-1908)
Archimandrite Pavel (1908-1918)
hegumen Tikhon (1918—?)
Abbot Alexy (?—1923)
Abbot Kirill (?—1928)
Metropolitan Ambrose (Ermakov) (since November 20, 2020)
Hegumen Germogen (Chirkov) (1997 - October 12, 2007)
hegumen Dimitry (Sevostyanov) (October 12, 2007 - July 9, 2019)
Hieromonk Paisiy (Novozhenov) (July 15, 2019 - September 24, 2021)
Abbot Damaskin (Leonov) (since September 24, 2021)