Monastery of Saint Euthymius was found in 1352 by Suzdal
Prince Boris Konstantinovich. It was originally called Spasky Abbey or
Savior's Monastery. It was later renamed after a former head of the
monastic community. The first structures were made of wood. In the 16th
century it was replaced by brick buildings. After the Russian Revolution
The monastery was turned into a prison. One of the most famous prisoners
incarcerated here was Nazi German field marshal Friedrich Paulus. He was
kept here after his 6th Army was destroyed in Stalingrad.