Convent of the Intercession is a Russian Orthodox female
monastery that was found in 1364 by Prince Dmitry Konstantinovich. The
original complex of Convent of the Intercession consisted of wooden buildings and churches. Most of the
current structures date back to the early 16th century when Moscow
prince Vasily III donated large sums of money. It was apparently guilty
conscience talking. Tsar sent his former wife Solomonia Saburova here
after he accused her of infertility. She was followed by a number of
other prominent women from aristocratic families who came here voluntary
or were sent here by force by their husbands. The abbey was closed in
1923 by the Bolsheviks. After the fall of the Soviet Union religious
life was revived in 1992.
Main buildings of the monastery include Saint Basil's
Cathedral constructed in 1510- 1518. Holy Gate and the Gate Church of
the Annunciation were erected in 1518. Conception Church along with
refectory were constructed in 1551. Another major addition was Steepled
bell tower in 16th century.