Vasnetsov House Museum (Дом музей В.М. Васнецова)

Vasnetsov House Museum


Location: Pereulok Vasnetsova 13   Map

Tel. (495) 281 1329

Subway: Sukharevskaya, Prospekt Mira

Open: 10am- 5pm Wed- Sun



Description of Vasnetsov House Museum

Vasnetsov House Museum is located in the outskirts of Moscow at the address of Pereulok Vasnetsova 13. Vasnetsov House Museum is a former residence of a famous Russian painter whose paintings often involved depiction of Medieval Russian and Old Russian stories and folklore. In fact some of the features of the medieval architecture are visible in the construction of the house.



The house at 13 Vasnetsov Lane was designed by Viktor Vasnetsov and architect Mikhail Priyomyshev. In 1891, the artist purchased land in Troitskaya Sloboda from the peasant family of the Filippovs and began creating sketches for the external and internal arrangement of the mansion. The construction was carried out by the peasants of the Vladimir province and was completed by 1894. Viktor Vasnetsov lived here until his death in 1926.

The wooden mansion was built in the neo-Russian style, combining elements of ancient Russian architecture and modernity. A characteristic feature of Vasnetsov's house is the combination of architectural forms from different centuries: the living room was planned in the boyar style of the 17th century, while the dining room was designed as a peasant's dwelling. Traces of northern architecture are also visible in the composition of the house.

The living quarters on the ground floor are built of massive plaster logs. The porch is decorated with tiles, columns "melons" and reliefs. There is a tiled frieze under the cornice. The staircase to the office leads through a log house with a barrel-shaped covering, reminiscent of temples in the North of Russia.

The first floor was residential: the living room, dining room and living rooms of Vasnetsov's wife and children were located here. The second floor was intended for a workshop, the size of which is 110 meters and the height is six.

The windows are decorated with stucco columns and platbands in the form of kokoshniks. Materials for home improvement were created in the Abramtsev and Stroganov workshops. The facade is decorated with tiles from the Savva Mamontov ceramic factory. The back rooms are made in the form of Old Russian huts.

From 1978 to 1980, general restoration of the house and nearby buildings was carried out. In the course of the work, the appearance of the premises, cobblestone pavements and brick paths in the courtyard were restored.


Foundation of the museum

After Vasnetsov's death in 1926, members of his family turned to the board of the Tretyakov Gallery with a request to arrange a permanent exhibition in the house. Painters Mikhail Nesterov and Pavel Korin also took part in organizing the exposition. The exhibition opened in 1927 and consisted of 212 exhibits: paintings, household items and graphics of the artist.

“Our house was empty - as if the soul had flown out of it - everything here was his, bore his imprint - it’s scary to touch something, to change something. Our common decision is to keep everything as it was - to arrange something like a house-museum ...
Alexey Vasnetsov "

According to the philologist Konstantin Bogdanov, the opening of the house-museum became possible due to the approval of Vasnetsov's artistic style by the Soviet authorities. In the Great Soviet Encyclopedia for 1948, Vasnetsov was called the forerunner of socialist realism. The theme of folklore, popular in the artist's work, was also used by propaganda to strengthen the national spirit.

In 1948, an exhibition event dedicated to the centenary of the birth of Viktor Vasnetsov was opened. In 1950, the Council of Ministers of the USSR issued a decree on the organization of a museum in the house. The painter's relatives donated the premises, property and art collection to the state museum.

Since 1986 the museum has been part of the State Tretyakov Gallery.



By the opening of the museum in 1953, the atmosphere of the house was completely restored. The museum's exposition includes more than 25 thousand exhibits: paintings, household items, collections of photographs and early studies. All items shown are genuine.

The art workshop on the second floor contains tools and architectural sketches in the neo-Russian style. In this room the paintings "Tsar Ivan Vasilyevich the Terrible" (1897) and "Heroes" (1881-1898) were painted. The painting "Baba Yaga" hangs on the wall. In total, the house-museum contains a number of paintings by the artist: "Nestor the Chronicler", "Varangians", "Bogatyrsky Skok", "Fight of Dobrynya Nikitich with the seven-headed snake Gorynych", "Princess Frog", "Portrait of M. V. Nesterov", "Archangel Michael defeats the devil", "Flying carpet", "Princess Nesmeyana", "Sivka-Burka", "Kashchei the immortal", "Sleeping princess".

The living room is furnished with furniture of the 19th and 20th centuries and tiled stoves, some of which were made by the artist's brother, Arkady Vasnetsov. Artistic meetings were held in this room, which were attended by cultural figures: Ilya Repin, Valentin Serov, Vasily Polenov, Vasily Surikov, Fyodor Chaliapin.



Since 2016, all branches of the Tretyakov Gallery have been implementing a project to reorganize the museum space. According to the plan for the development of the Vasnetsov house-museum, by 2019 a center for decorative creativity will appear on its basis. The main goal of the changes being made is an equal distribution of museum activities among all centers of the Tretyakov Gallery.

In addition to the permanent exhibition, the Vasnetsov House Museum organizes temporary projects. In 2016, the exhibition “V. M. Vasnetsov's Family. Life and Being ”, which featured documentary materials, photographs and sketches of the artist's family.

In 2017, 29 landscape sketches by the artist were exhibited, painted in the vicinity of Abramtsevo, Moscow, Vyatka and Akhtyrka. The organizers of the event tried to emphasize the importance of landscape as a separate direction in Vasnetsov's work.