Golden Gate was constructed by
Andrew Bogolyubsky (God- Loving) in 1164 for defensive purpose of
the city walls that once stood here. It reaches a height of 14
meters. From the North and the South Golden Gate was flanked by
protective walls and moats. The name of Golden Gate eludes to
the Golden Gate of Jerusalem. According to the New
Testament Golden Gate was used by Jesus Christ to enter the city.
Vladimir Golden Gate was the main triumphant entrance to
the city that was used by the princes and boyars (Russian
aristocracy) to enter Vladimir. Golden Gate of Vladimir is the only
gate that survived from the medieval times. In the 12th century
medieval Vladimir had seven entrance gates: Copper, Volgda, Silver,
Irina's, Trading, Ivanovo and Golden Gate. Golden was the highest
and most elaborate. Historians also believe that the main entrance
of the walled city of Vladimir protected by wooden doors with golden
plates depicting religious scenes. In fact during night Easter mass
service was held here. However during Tatar attack under leadership
of Chan Batiy in 1238 the plates disappeared.
Presumably they were hidden by the citizen of the city in the
nearby lakes or buried underground.
In the last 50 years the Golden Gate houses Vladimir-
Suzdal Military Historic Museum. The center of its collection is
dominated by a diorama of sacking of Vladimir by the Mongol forces
of khan Batu in 1238. Additionally there is a small collection of
various weapons that date back to the 18th and 19th century
including relics from the Patriotic War of 1812. In the summer of
1991 thousands of residents of Vladimir came to the Golden Gate to
greed relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov, who were solemnly transported
from St. Petersburg to Diveevo. In the mid-1990s a historic icon of
Christ the Savior and the Mother of God was placed above the main
entrance of the Golden Gate.