10 largest cities of Russia
Moscow
St. Petersburg
Novosibirsk
Yekaterinburg
Nizhny Novgorod
Kazan
Chelyabinsk
Omsk
Samara
Rostov-on-Don

 

Vladimir

Image of Vladimir

 

 

Location: 170 km (106 mi) Northeast of Moscow

www.vladimir.ru

Image of Holy Mother of Vladimir

Holy Mother of Vladimir

 

Transportation

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

Interesting information and useful tips

 

Description of Vladimir

Vladimir (an old Russian Volodymyr) is a city in Russia, the administrative center of the Vladimir region and the city district of Vladimir. In the XII — XIV centuries - the capital of the Grand Duchy of Vladimir. One of the largest tourist centers of the European part of Russia. Included in the Golden Ring of Russia. It is located mainly on the left bank of the Klyazma River, 176 km east of Moscow. Transport hub on the automobile (M7 "Volga") and railway (Nizhny Novgorod course of Transsib) highways. The area of the city is 137.014 km². Population - 357,024 people. (2018).

 

Travel Destinations in Vladimir

Orientation
Vladimir is somewhat elongated along the river that forms its southern boundary. From the north, the city is bounded by a "semi-circle" road, formerly a part of the M7 highway. Inside the city, small rivers flow into the Klyazma and form deep valleys that were used as fortifications.

The inner layout of Vladimir is fairly simple. The main street runs roughly from west to east close to the Klyazma River and passes through the historical centre. Different parts of this street have different names: Московское шоссе (entry from Moscow) – проспект Ленина – улица Студёная гора – Дворянская улица – Большая Московская улица – Большая Нижегородская улица – Добросельская улица (entry from Nizhny Novgorod). Several major streets branch off to the north, cross the "semi-circle" road and turn into the roads towards Suzdal and Ivanovo (Суздальское шоссе) or Yuryev-Polsky (улица Горького). A single street (Муромское шоссе) also runs to the south, crosses the river and continues towards Sudogda, Murom, and Gus-Khrustalnyi.

The main sights, along with a number of hotels and restaurants, are found in the historical centre, close to Bolshaya Moskovskaya Ulitsa (Большая Московская улица). If you arrive to Vladimir from Moscow, you enter this part of the city at the Golden Gate. Moving further to the east, one leaves the historical centre after passing the Nativity Monastery and the Hotel Vladimir. The Cathedral Square (Соборная площадь) is in the middle of this way. The train and bus stations are found to the east from the historical centre, at the bottom of the hill.

 

Assumption Cathedral

Cathedral of the Assumption (Успенский собор), Соборная площадь (Cathedral Square). It is one of the most historically important Russian Orthodox Churches. For a short period in the 14th century, the cathedral was the seat of the Metropolitan, the leader of the Russian Ortodox Church. The cathedral was built in 1158 with only one dome. However, the major reconstruction followed already in 1185: four smaller domes were added, and the building was considerably enlarged in order to resemble St. Sophia's Cathedral in Kiev. Later on, a similar project was utilized for the cathedral of the Assumption in Moscow Kremlin. The neghboring bell tower of eclectic style was built in 1810 to replace the former hip-roof tower. The interior of the cathedral includes a number of ancient frescos from the late 12th century (northern wall) and 15th century (vaults), the latter being painted by Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chyorny. The cathedral combines church and museum activities. Services are normally held in the morning and offer free entrance. During the opening hours of the museum (Tu-Su 13:00-16:30), the tickets are sold.

 

Cathedral of Saint Dmitriy

Cathedral of St. Demetrius (Дмитриевский собор), Соборная площадь. This is the other ancient cathedral of Vladimir. The building was constructed in 1194-97 as an in-house church of the Prince's court. Galleries linked the cathedral to the palace, but they were removed during the reconstruction in the 19th century. St. Demetrius' Cathedral is now a detached church, a unique monument of ancient Russian architecture. The bottom part of the walls is flat (here the galleries were attached), while the upper part is covered by fine stone carvings. These carvings depict stories from the life of King David and praise the harmony of the world. Yet the meaning of some carvings remains unknown. The cathedral hosts a small museum that presents enlarged images and detailed explanations for a number of carvings as well as a small piece of original frescos from the late 12th century. The museum is open W-M from 11:00 till 17:00 or 18:00. Don't forget to have a look from the nearby viewpoint!

 

Golden Gates

Golden Gate (Золотые ворота), Большая Московская ул. (west from the Cathedral square). Once the entrance to the walled city, the gate was built in 1158-64. At that time, the city was surrounded by a rampart with five stone gates. The Golden Gate is the only remaining part of the complex and the unique monument of ancient fortifications in Russia. The ramparts were removed in the 19th century, and the gate was reinforced by four circular bastions at the buttresses. These bastions strongly changed the appearance of the gate, so it may be advisable to see the picture of the original building like in a museum of military history inside the gate. The remaining part of the rampart is found south from the gate, along the Kozlov Rampart Street (ул. Козлов вал)

 

Nativity Monastery (Рождественский монастырь), Большая Московская ул. 68 (east from the Cathedral square). The monastery was founded in the end of the 12th century and played important role for Russian Orthodox Church during the Middle Ages. None of the ancient buildings survived, but it is worth to see the stone walls and towers from the 18th century. Though there was no real threat to Vladimir at that time, the walls imitate fortifications of ancient Russian monasteries. You will also find a church and several living houses with fine decorations from the 17th century. The monastery is a home to the bishop of Vladimir region.

 

Cathedral of the Assumption (Princess Convent) (Успенский собор Княгинина монастыря), Княгининская ул. (north from the Trading Rows). The history of the Princess Convent is traced back to the 12th century. The central building, the Cathedral of the Assumption, was built in the beginning of the 13th century. In the 16th century, the cathedral was rebuilt in its present shape (known as "Moscow style" of church architecture). You can see numerous kokoshniki below the dome and compare this type of decoration with the ancient one from St. Demetrius' Cathedral. Note fine frescos from the 17th century inside the Cathedral.

 

Church of the Assumption of our Lady (Богородице-Успенская церковь), Большая Московская ул. 106а (east from the historical centre). This church built in 1644-49 presents another example of original Russian architecture. Apart from kokoshniki, you will find a hip-roof bell tower, a typical feature of the 17th century-style.

 

Church of Saint Nikita the Martyr

Church of St. Nikita (Никитская церковь), Княгининская ул., 8 (next to the Princess Convent). This church was built in baroque style in the middle of the 18th century. Bright green color and huge building sharply contrast to the harmony of the ancient white-stone cathedrals. Still, the decoration of the church is remarkable. At present, the church is not functioning and houses a restoration workshop.

 

Church of St. George (Георгиевская церковь), Георгиевская ул., 6 (cross Bolshaya Moscovskaya st. near the Trading Rows and head south). Another example of baroque-style architecture. This church is rather small and looks modest as compared to the Church of St. Nikita. The nice appearance is supplied by the neighboring hip-roof bell tower. For a long time, the Church of St. George housed a concert hall, but now it should start regular services.

 

Church of St. Michael the Archangel (Михаило-Архангельская церковь), ул. Студёная гора, 1a (west from the Golden Gate). This impressive dark-red church was built in the end of the 19th century in neo-Byzantine style. It is probably one of the best (or, at least, most harmonious) representatives of this style in Russia.

 

Trinity Church (aka Red Church)

Church of St. Trinity / Red Church (Троицкая церковь), Дворянская ул., 2 (next to the Golden Gate). The red-brick church of eclectic style (with an emphasis on Russian revival, though) from 1913-1916. It houses a museum of crystal, miniature paintings, and embroidery.

 

Church of Our Lady of the Rosary (Костёл св. Розария Пречистой Девы Марии), ул. Гоголя, 12в (south from the Golden Gate). This Catholic church from the late 19th century is a rare example of neo-gothic building in Vladimir region. The church was constructed for Polish-Lithuanian troop that stayed in Vladimir. The church works under the supervision of Roman Catholic church. This lovely place is worth a visit, especially during Catholic holidays.

 

Secular buildings

Since the 18th century, Vladimir has been a provincial city, so its secular buildings are rather small and modest. Do not expect to see any masterpieces. Still, it is possible to find a number of nice buildings from different periods and styles.

House of the Assembly of Nobility (Дворянское собрание), Большая Московская ул., 33 (next to the Cathedral Square). This building in the empire style from the early 19th century has once been a cultural centre of Vladimir.

Trading Rows (Торговые ряды), Большая Московская ул., 19 (between the Cathedral square and the Golden Gate). A very typical building for Russian architecture of the late 18th – early 19th century. The Trading Rows in Vladimir follow the general classicism style with an original project from the late 18th century, although the present appearance of the building is heavily disrupted by the signboards and advertisements.

Old Pharmacy (Старая аптека), Георгиевская ул., 3 (close to the Trading Rows and the Church of St. George). A small lovely building from the late 18th century.

City Bank (Городской банк), Большая Московская ул., 29 (next to the Cathedral square). The red-and-white neoclassical building from 1896.

City Museum (Городской музей), Большая Московская ул., 64 (east from the Cathedral square). This red-brick building of Russian-revival (pseudo-Russian) style is now a home to the history museum.

 

Water Tower
Water tower (Водонапорная башня), ул. Козлов вал (south from the Golden Gate). The pseudo-Russian style water tower is likely one of the most impressive and unusual secular buildings in Vladimir. It was constructed in 1868 as a part of the first water-supply system and re-built in 1912. It houses an exhibition on the history of Vladimir.

House of the Temperance Association (Народный дом общества трезвости), ул. Гагарина, 7 (south from the Trading Rows). A very unusual mix of neoclassical and art nouveau styles. In the beginning of the 20th century, this house was one of the cultural centres of Vladimir.

House of Realschule (Реальное училище), Никитская ул., 1 (next to the Golden Gate). It is an art nouveau building from 1908 with colored brick and nice decorations. It is occupied by Vladimir University. Don't get confused by a German name. During Romanov rule there was a massive influx of Germans and Austrians to Russia. In fact Russian tsars married almost exclusively German princesses.

Building College (Строительный колледж), ул. Дзержинского, 6 (west from the Golden Gate). A rare example of the building from Stalin's Empire style in Vladimir. The project is rather regular and dates back to 1950, although a small tower is certainly an unusual feature that originates from art nouveau or Russian-revival fashion.

 

Museums

Museum of Vladimirsky Central

The two important museums of Vladimir are the Cathedral of the Assumption and the Cathedral of St. Demetrius that exhibit ancient frescos. You can also visit other museums:

Regional history museum (Областной исторический музей), Большая Московская ул., 64 (west from the Cathedral Square). W–M 10:00–16:00 or 17:00. The museum covers the history of Vladimir region from the very beginning (Stone age) till the February Revolution of 1917. During the Middle Ages, the history of the region was tightly bound to the history of Russia itself, so one can find a lot of information on the Vladimir principality and the development of north-eastern Russia prior to the Mongol invasion and along the period of the Mongol yoke.

Military museum (музей воинской доблести) (inside the Golden Gate). F–W 10:00–18:00. The museum presents a number of old weapons and a huge gallery of military leaders, originating from the Vladimir region. The best exhibit is a special diorama that depicts the assault of Vladimir by Batu Khan in 1238. The diorama gives an idea how the ancient city looked like.

Exhibition (экспозиция), ул. Козлов вал (inside the water tower, south from the Golden Gate). Tu–Su 10:00–18:00. The museum reconstructs the routine life and the atmosphere of Vladimir from the late 19th century. The exhibition is more or less generic for any provincial Russian town from this period. Don't miss the observation platform on the top of the tower!

Museum of crystal, lacquered miniature painiting, and embroidery (экспозиция), Дворянская ул., 2 (inside the Church of St. Trinity, next to the Golden Gate). W–M 11:00–19:00. The collection of exhibits from different crafts that were traditionally developed in Vladimir region. Magnificent crystalware are manufactured in Gus-Hrustalnyi and neighboring towns. The miniature paintings are hand-made articles from Mstyora, a small settlement near Vyazniki, while embroidery is a traditional handicraft of the whole region. If you do not plan a trip to the destinations specified above, visiting this museum may be a good option. There is a shop of crystalware as well.

Art gallery, Большая Московская ул., 58 (Cathedral square, a long building between the ancient cathedrals). Tu–Su 10:00–16:00 or 17:00. The regular provincial art gallery with a collection of Russian fine art. The building also houses the so-called Children's Museum Centre. The centre presents a number of fascinating historical exhibitions that were specially designed for young people.

Memorial house of Stoletov family (Дом-музей Столетовых), ул. Столетовых, 3 (eastern part of the historical centre). F–W 10:00–16:00 or 17:00. The museum reconstructs a typical merchant house from the 19th century. Stoletov family is well-known in Russia: Nilokay Stoletov was a military leader, while his brother, Alexander Stoletov, was a famous physicist. The exhibition occupies a wing of the house that used to belong to the family.

Planetarium, Большая Московская ул. 66а, ☎ +7 4922 -32-22-90. Daily 09:00–17:15.

Museum of S.D. Vasilisin (Музей С.Д. Василисина), ул. Завадского, 7 (western part of the city). School museum of Sergey Vasilisin, a national hero who took part in battles near Murmansk during World War II.

 

Further sights

Monument of the 850th anniversary, Соборная площадь (Cathedral square). This amusing monument was laid on 1958 (the 850th anniversary of Vladimir) and completed in 1969. It is a typical example of the "Soviet realism" style. The monument shows three aspects of Vladimir's history (or three faces of the city): a warrior with a sword, an architect with a design, and a worker with a tractor. All together they look quite funny. Don't miss this monument!

 

 

Theatres

Lunacharsky regional drama theater (Областной драматический театр им. Луначарского), Дворянская ул., 4 (next to the Golden Gate and the church of St. Trinity), ☎ +7 4922 32-42-58, +7 4922 32-30-92, +7 4922 32-27-77.
Puppet theater (Владимирский областной театр кукол), ул. Гагарина, 7 (north from the Trading Rows), ☎ +7 4922 32-31-41, +7 4922 32-36-88, +7 4922 32-42-28.
Evening theater (театр Вечерний), ул. Гагарина, 7 (north from the Trading Rows), ☎ +7 4922 32-36-88. The evening version of the puppet theater with real (mainly, comedy) performances.
Razgulyai Folklore Theater (театр фольклора Разгуляй), Добросельская ул., 194a (extension of Bolshaya Moscovskya St., in the very eastern part of the city), ☎ +7 4922 21-67-70, +7 4922 31-29-77.

 

Concert halls

Taneyev regional concert hall (концертный зал им. Танеева), просп. Ленина, 1 (west from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 36-63-54, +7 4922 32-74-94.

 

Cinemas

Kinomax-Burevestnik (Киномакс-Буревестник), просп. Ленина, 29 (western part of the city), ☎ +7 4922 24-55-78, +7 4922 24-08-61, e-mail: bur_info@kinomax.ru. 09:15-02:00. 70-230 rubles.
Khudozhestvennyi (Художественный), Большая Московская ул., 13 (in the historical centre), ☎ +7 4922 32-39-64, +7 4922 32-37-77. The cinema is in the special cinema-house from 1913.
Russia (РусьКино), Суздальский просп., 8 (eastern part of the city, buses 21,22,24,26), ☎ +7 4922 400-004, e-mail: i@ruskino33.ru. 09:30-01:00. Renovated building, entertainments for children, an Italian cafe and a bar. 80-200 rubles.

 

History of Vladimir

Key dates
990 - the late chronicle news of the founding by Prince Vladimir Svyatoslavich of the city named after him, on the Klyazma River.
Around 1108 - the construction of the fortress by Vladimir Monomakh.
1157 - Andrei Bogolyubsky moved from Vyshgorod and Vladimir turned into the capital of North-Eastern Russia, as the capital of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality;
1176-1212 - reign of Vsevolod the Big Nest - flourishing of Vladimir;
1238 - the capture and destruction of Vladimir-Zalessky by the Mongol-Tatars;
1243 - the prince of Vladimir Yaroslav Vsevolodovich is recognized as "old by all the prince in the Russian language"; Vladimir becomes the capital of the Russian lands;
1263 - the death of the Vladimir prince Alexander Nevsky and the final division of North-Eastern Russia into independent appanages. A hundred-year period of struggle for the Vladimir grand-ducal table between the strongest princes of North-Eastern Russia began;
1299 - transfer of the chair of the Russian Metropolitan from Kiev to Vladimir;
1328 - the move of Metropolitan Peter from Vladimir to Moscow. The struggle between Tver, Suzdal and Moscow for the Great Vladimir reign;
1360 - The transition of Vladimir from Moscow to Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod principality;
1362-1363 - Recognition by the Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod prince Dmitry Konstantinovich of the primacy of the rights to Vladimir of the Moscow prince Dmitry Ivanovich. The final transfer of Vladimir to power to the Moscow princes;
1389 - Vladimir was first inherited from the Moscow prince Dmitry Donskoy to his son Vasily I;
1395 - the transfer of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God to Moscow;
1491 - construction of new city fortifications on the city ramparts;
1609-1614 - raids on Vladimir by the troops of the Polish-Lithuanian invaders;
1719 - the formation of the Vladimir province;
1778 - the formation of the Vladimir province and governorship;
1861 - construction of a railway station in Vladimir;
1929 - Vladimir became part of the Ivanovo industrial region;
1944 - the city became the center of the Vladimir region;
1960 - construction of a permanent bridge across the Klyazma;
1973 - the following districts were formed in the city: Leninsky, Oktyabrsky, Frunzensky;
1980 - the population reached 300 thousand people;
1987 - construction of a road bypass of the city as part of the M-7 highway.

Background
The first people began to appear on the territory occupied by the modern city, about 34 thousand years ago in the Paleolithic era, as evidenced by the discovery of the Rusanikha site on the right bank of the Rpen River, the stone tools of which are similar to those found at the Sungir site, located in 8 km east of Rusanikha.

In the 6th-7th centuries, this territory was occupied by the Volga-Finnish tribe Merya. In the VIII-X centuries, on the hill where the Assumption Cathedral was later built, there was a Meryan settlement.

In the 9th-10th centuries, the Slavs began to penetrate here, in particular, the Krivichi.

Foundation of the city
Currently, the literature indicates two alternative dates for the foundation of Vladimir: 1108 and 990. During the Soviet period, it was established that Vladimir was founded by Prince Vladimir Monomakh around 1108. Accordingly, the 850th anniversary of the city was celebrated in 1958. Nikolai Voronin, a prominent specialist in Vladimir archeology, also adhered to this dating.

As a justification for dating the founding of Vladimir in 1108, the message of the Novgorod first chronicle (in “And the princes of Russia”) is given: “The son of Volodimerov Monomakh, great-grandson of the Grand Duke Vladimir. These were built the city of Volodimer Zaleshskiy in the Suzhdal land and showered it with sleep, and created the first church of the Holy Savior 50 years before the establishment of the Mother of God ”. It also provides circumstantial evidence related to the fact that the Rostov and Suzdal boyars looked at Vladimir as a junior city and opposed its rise, while Suzdal was first mentioned in the Novgorod Code under the year 999. But claims to "seniority" could be associated not with the date of foundation, but with many other more significant factors at the time.

In the 1990s, Vladimir local historians spoke in favor of postponing the date of the city's foundation to 990. To substantiate this date, the news of a number of late (XV-XVII centuries) chronicle sources is cited - Suprasl, Gustynskaya, Lvov, Ermolinskaya, Nikonovskaya, Kholmogorskaya chronicles, abbreviated annalistic collections of 1493 and 1495, chronicles of 1497 and 1518, the Book of Degrees, Russian chronograph etc. All these texts indicate that Vladimir-on-Klyazma was founded by Vladimir Svyatoslavich in 990. An alternative dating of the founding of Vladimir at that time was supported by Academician Dmitry Likhachev.

 

In 2016, a researcher of Vladimir-Suzdal architecture, academician Sergei Zagraevsky published a study "Historical topography of pre-Mongol Vladimir", in which he brought together well-known chronicle sources and showed that Vladimir could have been founded in 990. This date was supported by the administration of the city of Vladimir. Nevertheless, in scientific, reference and educational publications as the time of the foundation of the city, 1108 is still more often indicated.

Archaeological research has not yet been able to confirm or deny any of the proposed dates. But it must be borne in mind that the oldest settlement on the Year Mountain, on the site of which the Assumption Cathedral is currently located, according to archeology, existed as far back as the 1st millennium AD. e., before the Slavic colonization of the region. And in our time (after the leveling associated with the construction of the Assumption Cathedral and the arrangement of the territory around it) Godova Gora rises about 10 m above the rest of the plateau that forms the middle part of the city.

Capital city
Vladimir begins to grow and strengthen thanks to the cares of Vladimir Monomakh and Yuri Dolgoruky, who strengthened him as a stronghold for the defense of the Rostov-Suzdal principality. Yuri Dolgoruky, who then lived in Suzdal, kept his residence here ("courtyard"), this place is now occupied by the St. George Church.

The city owes its prosperity to Prince Andrey Bogolyubsky, who in 1157 transferred the capital of the principality here. In Vladimir, as the new capital of North-Eastern Russia, the Assumption Cathedral was erected (1158-1160). The Golden Gate (built around 1164) became the central point of the city's defense and at the same time the symbol of the capital's status. To build these architectural masterpieces, Prince Andrew invited an architect who worked for the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa.

Under the successors of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky, who was killed as a result of a boyar conspiracy in 1174, the city expanded greatly. Silver, Copper and Irina gates were built along the perimeter of the city from the east, south and north. In Vladimir and neighboring Suzdal, the Vladimir-Suzdal icon-painting school of painting was formed; the city kept its own chronicle. The principality of Vladimir reaches its highest power during the reign of Vsevolod the Big Nest (1176-1212), when the Dmitrievsky Cathedral was built (1191). The title of "great" is finally assigned to the Vladimir princes.

In 1238, Vladimir was struck by the invasion of the Mongol Tatars (see also: Defense of Vladimir). Later, the city was subjected to several Tatar raids, the most difficult of which was the devastation of Duden's army in 1293.

Starting with Vasily Yaroslavich, in conditions of increased fragmentation in North-Eastern Russia, Vladimir ceased to be the residence of the grand dukes, who now only performed the enthronement rite in it, remaining to live in their hereditary lands. Nevertheless, it was the princes of Vladimir who were recognized in the Golden Horde by their status as the main and oldest in all of Russia, thanks to which Vladimir remained the capital of the Russian lands. The Khan of the Horde was given a label for the great Vladimir reign. The status of the city increased even more in 1299, when it became the residence of the Russian metropolitans after the move of the Kiev Metropolitan Maxim to Vladimir.

During the first half of the XIV century, the main contenders for the great Vladimir reign were Tver, Moscow and Suzdal.

As part of the Moscow principality
An important milestone was the move in 1325 from Vladimir to Moscow under Ivan Kalita of Metropolitan Peter. Subsequently, Dmitry Donskoy managed to achieve recognition of the hereditary rights to Vladimir from all neighboring princes and the Horde, which meant his recognition as the Grand Duke of Vladimir and Moscow. At the same time, this meant the annexation of the Vladimir lands to the Moscow principality.

In 1382, Vladimir, like other cities of North-Eastern Russia, suffered from the invasion of Tokhtamysh. In the XIV century in the city there was an estate of the Horde governor (found in the area of ​​Gagarin St., 2).

During the campaign of Tamerlane in 1395, the miraculous and especially revered icon of the Vladimir Mother of God was transferred to Moscow to protect the city from the conqueror. The fact that the troops of Tamerlane, for no apparent reason, turned back from Yelets, before reaching Moscow, was regarded as the intercession of the Mother of God and the icon was not returned back to Vladimir. But in the Assumption Cathedral, a late copy of this icon was left in the iconostasis.

 

In 1408, the Vladimir Assumption Cathedral was re-painted by an artel of masters, which included Andrei Rublev and Daniil Cherny. It is believed that in addition to the frescoes, the masters also created icons for the cathedral's monumental iconostasis, which became an important stage in the formation of the high Russian iconostasis system.

In 1410 Vladimir was raided and plundered by the Tatar prince Talych and the Nizhny Novgorod governor Karamyshev, sent by Daniil Borisovich.

With the growth of the Moscow state, Vladimir becomes an ordinary provincial town. Although in the title of Russian princes and tsars, to emphasize the continuity of power, he is placed in second place after Moscow, starting with the Grand Duke of Moscow and Vladimir Ivan III. Before the construction of the Assumption Cathedral in the Moscow Kremlin, all Moscow princes "were married to the great Vladimir reign" in the main temple of Russia - the Assumption Cathedral in the city of Vladimir. Metropolitans also came from Moscow especially for this event.

In 1565, after the division of the Russian state by Tsar Ivan the Terrible into oprichnina and zemstvo, the city became part of the latter.

In 1614, the outskirts of the city were ravaged by the troops of the Lithuanian adventurer Lisovsky. According to the then census, the population of the city was only about 600 people.

Vladimir in the era of the Russian Empire
Since 1719, Vladimir has been the center of the province of the Moscow province. In 1722, a civil digital school was opened here, in 1744 the Vladimir diocese was restored, and six years later the Vladimir Theological Seminary was established.

In 1724, by decree of Peter I, the relics of the holy Prince Alexander Nevsky were transferred from Vladimir to the St. Petersburg Alexander Nevsky Lavra. Only a part of the saint's relics has survived in the Vladimir Assumption Cathedral.

Some economic and cultural upsurge of Vladimir was outlined at the end of the 18th century, when it became the administrative center of the Vladimir governorship (1778), and since 1796 - the Vladimir province. According to the regular development plan of Vladimir approved in 1781, the construction of large stone public and residential buildings began. In 1783-1785, a building of public places was built in Vladimir, in 1786 the first noble educational institution was opened in the city, which was transformed in 1804 into a gymnasium; in 1796, the main and small public schools were established, in November 1797 the first printing house in Vladimir was opened, in January 1834 - the first provincial public library, in 1836 - the building of the provincial Noble Assembly (now - the House of Officers), in 1847 - a dramatic theater, in 1862 - the provincial museum of local lore. On January 8, 1838, the first issue of the newspaper “Vladimirskie gubernskie vedomosti” was published. In 1838-1840, AI Herzen was in exile in Vladimir, who became the first editor of the unofficial part of the provincial Gazette. The notorious "Vladimirka", a stage road to Siberian exile, passed through the city. In 1783, by decree of Catherine II, a transit prison was opened in the city, since 1906 it was transformed into the Vladimir Central. Nowadays, one of its buildings houses a museum.

In 1861, traffic was opened on the Moscow-Vladimir line of the Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod railway. In December 1858, a telegraph began to operate in the city, in 1866 the construction of a water supply was completed, in 1887 a telephone connection appeared. On December 5, 1908, the first power plant was put into operation. Since January 1865, Vladimirskie Diocesan Vedomosti has been published. On November 29, 1898, the Vladimir provincial scientific archival commission was created, which was engaged in the search, study and systematization of knowledge on the history of the Vladimir region.

According to the first all-Russian census in 1897, 28,479 people lived in the city, including Russians - 26,436, Poles - 736, Little Russians - 488, Jews - 399. At the end of the 19th century, a Lutheran church and a Catholic church were built in Vladimir.

In the late 19th - early 20th centuries, the city was actively building new educational institutions and state institutions: in 1870 the first female gymnasium appeared, in 1885 a zemstvo vocational school was built with the money of Yu.S. Nechaev-Maltsov, and a building was erected in 1907 real school. In the same year, the opening of the building of the City Duma took place. At the turn of the century, the pseudo-Russian style spread in Vladimir, the most striking examples of which were the Church of the Archangel Michael (1893) and the building of the Vladimir Historical Museum (1903). In 1913, the imperial family visited the city in connection with the celebrations of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.

Vladimir in Soviet times

After the establishment of Soviet power, many streets of Vladimir were renamed, most of the parish churches were closed, and cemeteries at churches were destroyed. In 1929-1930, the following were demolished: the Cathedral of the Nativity Monastery, 7 parish churches, 3 bell towers and several chapels (in the 1960s, 2 more churches were demolished and 1 was rebuilt into a civil building).

Two pre-war decades of Soviet power are associated with the accelerated industrialization of Vladimir and the transformation of the city into a large industrial center. On January 14, 1929, during the territorial and administrative reform, the city became part of the newly formed Ivanovo Industrial Region. On March 5, 1932, the Khimplastmass plant (now the Vladimir chemical plant) began to produce products, and in May 1932, one of the first-born of the Soviet auto-instrument-making plant, the Avtopribor plant, was commissioned in the city. In 1943-1944, the Komsomol members and specialists sent from other factories and the front (as well as the labor of prisoners of war) built a tractor plant. On August 14, 1944, Vladimir became the center of the revived Vladimir region.

During the Great Patriotic War, Vladimir was one of the largest evacuation centers in the European part of the country, in 1941-1945 there were a total of 18 evacuation hospitals in the city, residents of the city donated about 40 thousand liters of blood. In the fall of 1941, Vladimir received many refugees from Moscow and the Moscow region who were leaving to the east from the German offensive. In 1944, the Vladimir Regional Library named after Gorky was opened and a concert and variety bureau (later - the Regional Philharmonic) was organized.

On May 20, 1950, the former villages of Dobroe and Krasnoe became part of Vladimir, which significantly increased the territory of the city. In 1950, on the basis of the Vladimir Teachers' Institute, the P. I. Lebedev-Polyansky Pedagogical Institute was created. In 1964, a large polytechnic institute was established. Two significant events took place in 1952: the first trolleybus line and the Torpedo stadium were opened.

Large enterprises of machine-building, metal-working, electrical, instrument-making, chemical and light industries are being created in the city.

In the 1950s, the industrialization of the city continued: in 1955, the Vladimir Electromotor Plant and the Elektropribor plant were commissioned, in 1958 the construction of CHPP-2 began. In August 1958, a solemn celebration of the 850th anniversary of Vladimir took place, a new park and a monument on Freedom Square dedicated to the city's anniversary were opened, and anniversary postage stamps of the USSR were issued.

In 1960, the construction of an arched reinforced concrete bridge was completed - the first permanent bridge across the Klyazma, which made it possible to start the construction of a residential area (Zagorodny Park) and a regional hospital center on the right bank of the river.

In 1971, the city was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, and in April 1973 Vladimir received a new administrative-territorial division - the following districts were formed in the city: Leninsky, Oktyabrsky, Frunzensky.

On May 30, 1971, the first run of the Vladimir - Moscow electric train took place. In the same year, the construction of a new railway station began, which lasted 5 years. On January 1, 1976, the Vladimir branch of the Gorky railway was opened, and on January 26, the new station received its first passengers.

In the early 1970s, Vladimir became one of the tourist centers of the Golden Ring of Russia, which was largely facilitated by the work of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve, founded in 1958 and including the White-stone monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal, located in three cities - Vladimir, Suzdal and Gus-Khrustalny, as well as the villages of Bogolyubov and Kideksha (since 1992 - UNESCO World Heritage Site). In the early to mid-1970s, a military-historical exposition in the Golden Gate, a crystal museum, an exposition in a water tower, and a Stoletovs museum were opened; at the end of the decade - several exhibitions dedicated to Soviet Vladimir. In May 1977, the XI General Conference of ICOMA was held in Vladimir. The development of tourism was facilitated by the appearance of tourist centers and large hotel complexes: "Klyazma", "Zarya", "Golden Ring" and others.

In 1972, in the south-west of the city, a large Forest Park was founded (since 1979 - the Druzhba Park in honor of friendship with the Czech Usti-na-Labe), at the turn of the 1970s-1980s a park was created in the Frunzensky District. In the 1980s, residential construction was carried out at an active pace, mainly in the southwestern and eastern districts of the city. 

 

 

 

 


 

Transportation

Get in
Vladimir is halfway between Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod, so you will be able to get in from both cities. It is also possible to visit Vladimir during a trip around the Golden Ring.

By plane
Vladimir Semyazino airport does not have regular passenger communication. Nearest airports are in Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod, both receive international flights. From there, you can easily reach Vladimir by train, by bus, or by car.

By train
The main station is next to the central bus station and close to the historic centre.

From Moscow
Four or five suburban trains per day run to Vladimir from Moscow's Kurskaya Station. The journey takes 2½-3 hr. Buy tickets at the regional (short-distance) train ticket counter in the right wing of the Kurskaya station (Poezda Prigorodnogo Napravleniya - Gorkogo). Tickets cost from 320 rubles one way. There are several daily departures with the earliest at 08:00. The 18:00 express is the quickest of these local trains but it has limited seats available. It returns from Vladimir at 06:00.

Some super-fast Sapsan trains also call at Vladimir en route between Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod. The journey takes 1hr 45min and a seat costs 1400 - 3000 rubles. The 06:45 departure may appeal to early risers. They use a different section of the same station as the local trains.

Regular long-distance trains also call at Vladimir. They are more frequent than the suburban trains but they are generally not faster. Prices from Moscow range greatly from 500 rubles to around 1000 rubles. They mainly leave from the same station as the Sapsan high-speed trains but many also leave from Moscow's Yaroslavsky rail terminal. One or two depart from Moscow's Kazansky rail terminal.

Heading beyond Moscow, Vladimir is well connected to many cities including Saint Petersburg and Vladivostok.

From Moscow, taking one of the hourly local trains to Petushki is an alternative. Local trains between Vladimir and Petushki run 3 times per day. The overall journey is longer (3½-4 hr) but it may be helpful in case you miss other trains and the buses are overcrowded.

From Nizhny Novgorod
All trains to Vladimir depart from the main railway station. There is a direct express local train, which leaves Nizhny Novgorod at 16:10 and returns from Vladimir at 07:00. The trip takes 3½ hr.

The high-speed Sapsan train takes around 2 hr and costs from 1200 rubles. Several long-distance trains from all over the country also connect Vladimir and Nizhny Novgorod. Price range from 400 ruble to 1000 ruble. The journey takes 3-4 hr.

Ordinary local trains connect in stages the towns along the Moscow - Nizhny Novgorod railway (such as Pokrov, Kovrov, Vyazniki, Gorokhovets) to Vladimir. Unless you are planning to see these towns it is advisable to use buses, as the local trains are slow and the necessary changes will make the journey last all day.

By bus
Vladimir has two bus stations:
Central bus station is next to the railway station, close to the historical centre. This station operates bus routes to every town in Vladimir Oblast as well as many intercity routes (to Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod, Ivanovo, Ryazan, etc.) Normally, you have to buy tickets inside the station. The square near the central bus station is a hub of private bus routes that are usually operated by minibuses. Such routes do not have a strict schedule and depart as soon as the minibus is filled up. You should pay directly to the driver or to a special person who collects money near the bus. The private routes serve Moscow, Murom, Gus-Khrustalny, and Ivanovo (via Suzdal). The last bus to Moscow departs at around 20:00.
Local bus station is near the Central Market (take trolleybus #10 from the central bus station). This station serves a number of very local bus routes to nearby villages. You are unlikely to use it.

Basic options of travelling to Vladimir by bus are as follows:
From Moscow: "official" buses depart from the central (intercity) bus station at Shelkovskaya metro station. There are at least ten buses per day, either running between Moscow and Vladimir or heading for further destinations (Kovrov, Ivanovo, Gus-Khrustalny, Murom, Vyazniki). Basically, it is more convenient to use private buses that depart from the square near Kursky railway station. Such buses leave every 30 minutes or even more often. The trip takes at least 3 hours, the price is about 220 rubles. Expect a longer trip during the weekdays (especially in the evening due to traffic problems near Moscow) and long queues for the buses during rush hours (like Friday and Sunday evenings).

 

From Nizhny Novgorod: buses to Vladimir depart from Kanavino bus station. There are 8-10 buses per day (either to Moscow or Vladimir), and the trip takes about 5 hours.
From other places: you will find at least 2 or 3 daily buses to Vladimir from any town of Vladimir region and from central cities of neighboring regions. The most frequent connections (every 1-1½ hours) run from Suzdal, Murom, Gus-Khrustalny, and Ivanovo (via Suzdal).

By car
Vladimir is easibly reachable from Moscow (180 km along the M7 road), Nizhny Novgorod (240 km along the M7 road), Ivanovo (115 km along the A113 road), and Ryazan (230 km along the R123 and R73 roads, via Tuma and Gus-Khrustalny). In the city, you will find a lot of space for free parking on side streets and several parking areas on the main street (Bolshaya Moscovskaya) as well.

Get around the Vladimir
The historical centre is easily explored by foot, so the regular traveller is unlikely to use the public transport in Vladimir. Still, there is an extensive network of trolleybuses, buses, and minibuses (marshrutki), serving the whole city. The most useful option is the trolleybus #5 that connects the train station to the historical centre and runs along Bolshaya Moscovksaya Ulitsa. Normally, you have to pay to the driver or to a special lady who sits in the bus and collects the money.

 

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

Budget
Cosiness (Уют), ул. Горького, 52 (north from the historical centre, take trolleybuses 2 or 8 from the Golden Gate or #10 from the train station), ☎ +7 4922 -43-21-52. Hostel-type accommodation (former dormitory) with an inconvenient and hard-to-find location. Bathrooms are shared, and shower is additionally charged.
Dawn (Заря), ул. Студёная гора, 36а (west from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 -32-14-41. Soviet-style accommodation close to the historical centre. All the rooms are equipped with WC and toilet. The "renovation" implies the renewal of the furniture, but the rooms do not look modern anyway (suites are better though). Breakfast is served in the cafe inside the hotel and may be included in the price depending on the room quality. The hotel does not have its own parking, but there is a guarded parking nearby. Double room (non-renovated/renovated) 1100–1200/1600–1800 rubles.
Hotel of Vladimir Training Center (гостиница при ГУП Владимирский учебный центр), ул. Кирова, 18а (north from the historical centre, take trolleybuses 7, 8, 14 or 15 from the Golden gate or trolleybus #10 from the train station), ☎ +7 4922 -23-14-49. Soviet-style accommodation far from the historical centre. Bathrooms are private or shared depending on the room quality. No breakfast, no guarded parking (still, it is possible to leave the car near the hotel). Double room 1060 rubles.
Hotel of the Academy of public service (гостиница при РАГС), ул. Горького, 59а (north from the historical centre, take trolleybuses #2,8 from the Golden Gate or #10 from the train station), ☎ +7 4922 -23-22-27. Soviet-style accommodation far from the historical centre. Private bathrooms, poor renovation (if any), no breakfast, no parking. Double room 1100 rubles.
Pilgrimage hostel (Паломническая служба Владимирской епархии), ул. Студёная гора, 1 (west from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 -36-62-32.
Vinyl Hostel (Винил Хостел), ул. Студеная гора, д. 14, кв.12 (1.5 km from train station by trolleybus #5), ☎ +7 4922 47-46-01, +7 920 944-78-88. European hostel in the centre, shared rooms with 6, 10 or 12 bunk beds, self-service kitchen. Free Wi-Fi. From 600 rubles.

Mid-range
Vladimir (Владимир), Большая Московская ул., 74 (east from the Cathedral square), ☎ +7 4922-32-44-47, +7 4922-32-30-42, +7 4922 -32-27-01, e-mail: gtk-vladimir@mail.ru. A nice hotel in the heart of the city. The rooms are freshly renovated and fully equipped. Breakfast is included, while parking is additionally charged. There is a restaurant in the ground floor. Laundry and tourist information are also available. Double room from 2500 rubles; quadruple room 2900.
Golden Ring (Золотое кольцо), ул. Чайковского, 27 (very far from the historical centre, take trolleybus 8 from the Golden Gate of #10 from the train station), ☎ +7 (4922)-400-800 (reservation), +7 (495)-975-75-34, +7 (4922)-24-88-07 (reception), e-mail: goldring@amaks-hotels.ru. A huge complex, including the hotel and entertainments (bars, disco, casino, etc.) The location is very inconvenient and suits for organized tours rather than for individual travellers. The rooms are equipped with all the basic facilities, but the quality is average (suites are more attractive, as usual). Breakfast is included. Guarded parking is available for extra price. Additional services (laundry, internet, sport hall) are also available.
Orion (Орион-отель), 2-я Никольская ул., 3 (north from the Golden Gate, close to the historical centre), ☎ +7 4922 42-00-02. A nice mini-hotel in the centre of Vladimir. All the rooms are modern and fully equipped, breakfast is included. Additional services (guarded parking, internet in the lobby) are charged. There is a cafe as well. Double room from 2600 rubles.
Russian Village (Русская деревня), Московское шоссе, 5а (western part of the city, very far from the historical area: take trolleybuses #1, 5, 15 from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 -38-36-90. Three wooden cottages in the outskirts of Vladimir, close to the entry from Moscow. A tavern and a restaurant are attached to the hotel. Rooms are fully equipped. Breakfast is not included, guarded parking available. Double room about 2000 rubles.
Erlangen House (гостевые комнаты Эрлангенского дома), Большая Нижегородская ул., 25 (east from the historical area (about 10 min walk) and close to the train station), ☎ +7 4922-32-37-95, +7 4922 -32-45-04. A nice mini-hotel close to the city centre. Breakfast included, free parking. Still, no other facilities available.
Profkursy (Профкурсы), Добросельская ул., 217 (eastern part of the city, very far from the historical area: take trolleybus #1 from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 -21-37-60. An old and ugly hotel in the outskirts of Vladimir (entry from Nizhny Novgorod). The only advantage is the proximity to Bogolyubovo. No parking.

Splurge
Vladimir courtyard (Владимирский дворик), ул. Подбельского, 12 (in the historical area, south from the Cathedral square), ☎ +7

 

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Budget
Blinchiki (Блинчики), Большая Московская ул. 32 (across the street from the Trading Rows). This small cafe preserves soviet and pretty much fast-food style. However, the menu is rather diverse. The pancakes are very tasty and will certainly satisfy your hunger.
Canteen # 2 (Столовая № 2), Вокзальная ул. 15 (west from the train station). Daily 07:00–19:00. A cheap Soviet-style canteen.
Magic flute (Волшебная флейта), просп. Ленина, 2, ☎ +7 4922 -32-10-09.
Mister Hamburger (Мистер Гамбургер), Большая Московская ул., 15. Daily 10:00–22:00. Local version of McDonald's.
Pasties (Пирожки), Большая Московская ул. 22, ☎ +7 4922 -32-61-66. Daily 08:00–20:00.
Potato father (Картофельный папа), Большая Московская ул. 22а. Daily 10:00–23:00. Fast-food with potato-based meals.
Food court of the Trading Rows, Большая Московская ул., 19a. The food court (upper floor of the mall) houses a number of national and international fast-food stands: Sbarro, Baskin Robbins, Kebab-tun, Tashir-pizza, etc.
Supermarket Valentina (ЦУМ Валентина), Дворянская ул., 10. The food court on the upper floor includes several fast-food brands (Tashir-pizza, Mister Hamburger, Vo-Blin, etc.) that work all day long. On the ground floor, there is a very budget dining hall with more adequate food (open M-F 11:30-15:30).

Mid-range
Shesh Besh (Шеш Беш), Большая Московская ул., 78 (eastern part of the historical centre). A stylish restaurant of Azerbaijan cuisine. Don't expect to find a variety of food (and, especially, vegetarian food) here. Still, different kinds of meat, either grilled (shashlyk) or chopped (lulya-kebab), are perfect. Additionally, there is a buffet with a selection of salads and pickles, spicy eastern-style soups, nice grilled fish, and home-made tea. It is certainly worth to have lunch or dinner in this restaurant, unless you are alrealy experienced in Azerbaijan cuisine. Main dishes: 150–250 rubles.
Coffee house Na Chekhova (кофейня На Чехова), Большая Московская ул., 67 / ул. Чехова, 2 (eastern part of the historical centre). This is a regular restaurant rather than a small coffee house despite the name. The design is stylish, the choice is wide, and the food is excellent. If you are a gourmet, this coffee house is probably your choice in Vladimir, because you are unlikely to find more delicious and less trivial food in a city like this. Moreover, the prices are really encouraging. Main dishes: 200–350 rubles.
Sushi bar Kabuki (суши-бар Кабуки), ул. Спасская, 1/8 (east from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 32-38-98.
Biblos (Библос), Большая Московская ул., 14, ☎ +7 4922 32-32-69.
Vladimir (ресторан Владимир), Большая Московская ул., 74 (inside the Hotel Vladimir), ☎ +7 4922 32-73-52.
Angel's fate (Доля ангела), Большая Московская ул., 16.
Salmon and Coffee (Лосось и кофе), Большая Московская ул., 19а (inside the Trading Rows).
Sport-bar Corner (Спорт-бар Корнер), Девическая ул., 3.
Labyrinth (Лабиринт), Большая Московская ул., 8.
Old city (Старый город), Большая Московская ул., 41.
Flamingo (Фламинго), Октябрьский просп., 4.

Splurge
Inside, ул. Батурина, 28 (northern part of the city; take trolleybus # 7, 8, or 15 from the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 -47-85-55.
At the Golden Gate (У Золотых ворот), Большая Московская ул. 15.

 

Drink

Beer
Beer is probably the only local speciality in Vladimir. Vladimir brewery used to be known for a variety of beer sorts, but the diversity has been substantially reduced, because the brewery joined the brand of "live beer" Fifth Ocean (Пятый океан) – a wheat-free unfiltered beer with a special storage technology that allows to keep fresh unfiltered beer for rather long time. This beer is produced in several breweries and distributed all round the country. In Vladimir, it can be found in SPAR supermarkets.

A few filtered lager beers are produced under the general brand Vladimirskoe (Владимирское). They are not very special, but they are local and may be thus expected to be fresh.

Night clubs
Velvet (Бархат), просп. Строителей, 20 (north-west from the historical centre). A huge nightclub with several bars, disco, a hookah-room, and a strip club.
Golden ring (Золотое кольцо), ул. Чайковского, 27 (north-west from the historical centre). A huge complex including a number of bars, a casino, a nightclub, bowling, billiard, and a strip club.
Lump sugar (Рафинад), проспект Ленина, 46 (buses 12, 25, 26, 17 from the historical centre, or 20, 21, 24, 23 from other locations), ☎ +7 4922 45-27-27.

 

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

 

Interesting information and useful tips

Buy

Souvenirs
Traditional Russian souvenirs can be found right on the street next to the Golden Gate. It is also possible to find icons and other authentic gifts in the nearby St. Demetrius' Cathedral. Don't miss the shop of local crystalware in the church of St. Trinity.

Malls
Vladimir has several shopping centres and lots of smaller shops that offer a great variety of food, drinks, clothes, etc.

Trading Rows (Торговые ряды), Большая Московская ул., 19a (betwenn the Cathedral square and the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 45-16-37, +7 4922 45-16-42. Daily 10:00-22:00. This is a huge mall in the very centre of the city. Here, you will find a number of small shops, boutiques, services as well as a food court (upper floor)
Supermarket Valentina (ЦУМ Валентина), Дворянская ул., 10 (next to the Golden Gate and the church of St. Trinity), ☎ +7 4922 42-02-02. M-Sa 09:00-21:00; Su 10:00-20:00. Another mall in the city centre. This shopping centre is less luxurious as compared to the Trading Rows and houses lots of useful services, including a huge food supermarket (ground floor) and a small food court (upper floor)
Cruiser (Крейсер), просп. Ленина, 46 (western part of the city), ☎ +7 4922 45-09-79. M-Sa 10:90-21:00, Su 10:00-19:00. A huge mall with a food supermarket, a supermarket of electronics, smaller shops, numerous cafes and restaurants.

 

Supermarkets
SPAR – an international network of supermarkets. The shops are open daily from 09:00 till 21:00 (sometimes, from 10:00 or till 22:00).
Мостостроевская ул. 2 (the largest one) – south-western part of the city
Большая Московская ул. 19а (inside the Trading Rows)
Dobryak (Добряк) – пр. Ленина, 23 (round-the-clock)
Magnet (Магнит) – a food supermarket: ул. Усти на Лабе, 1 (daily 09:00–21:00)

 

Connect

Post office
Here are some post offices in the city centre. The full list of the offices can be found here:

Main office, ул. Подбельского, 2 (a block north from the Cathedral square), ☎ +7 4922 -32-44-60. Daily 09:00–21:00.
Office #1, просп. Ленина, 9, ☎ +7 4922 -36-63-44. M–Sa 09:00–20:00.
Office #6, Большая Московская ул. 75б, ☎ +7 4922 -32-44-01. M–Sa 09:00–20:00.
Office #20, ул. Усти-на-Лабе, 2, ☎ +7 4922 -32-51-98. M–Sa 09:00–20:00.
Office #25, Октябрьский просп. 14, ☎ +7 4922 -32-51-98. M–F 08:00–12:00, 13:00–17:00.

Internet access
Regional scientific library (Владимирская областная научная библиотека), ул. Дзержинского, 3 (close to the Golden Gate), ☎ +7 4922 32-32-02. M–Th 10:00–20:00 Sa Su 10:00–18:00.
At Gagarina street (На Гагарина), ул. Гагарина, 1 (next to the Trading Rows), ☎ +7 4922 -32-64-71. Daily 09:00–21:00.
Yellow bug (Жёлтый жук), Дворянская ул. 10 (third floor of Supermarket Valentina). M–Sa 09:00–21:00, Su 10:00–20:00.
Coffee Bean, Большая Московская ул. 19а (third floor of the Trading Rows). Free Wi-Fi.
Whiskey-pub (Виски-паб), Большая Московская ул. 19 (inside the Trading Rows), ☎ +7 4922 -32-23-24. Free Wi-Fi.
Milk, просп. Строителей, 20 (inside the Velvet night club). Free Wi-Fi.