Zaraysk Kremlin in Zaraysk was erected in 1528- 31 on the
order of Grand Prince Vasily the Dark or the Blind. The citadel has rectangular layout
with four towers with twelfth angles and three square towers that also
served as a gate. These numbers are not chosen accidentally. They all are
also repeated in number of domes on Russian Orthodox Churches. Twelfth
stands for twelfth apostles of Jesus Christ, four is number of gospels in
the New Testament and three is a Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The
North- East corner tower was indented for storage of guns, gunpowder and
Museum is located on the grounds of the castle that displays
a collection of paintings, drawings, crafts, sculpture and decorative
arts of Russian and Western Europe.
Cathedral of Saint Nicholas (1681)
In 1681 Zaraysk Castle receives a Cathedral of Saint
Nicholas. The order for its construction is given by Tsar Fedor Alekseevich
and its chief designers becomes Peter Liubavskii. It kept a miracle working
icon of Saint Nicholas of Zaraisk that originally was moved here from Korsun
in 1225. After the Soviet Revolution the church was looted by the atheist
government. Today the icon is kept in a Museum of Old Russian Art in Moscow.
The church contains iconostasis of XVIII century.
Church of Saint John the Baptist (1821)
The Church of Saint John the Baptist was built in
1821. In 1904 the church got a facelift with addition of