Location: Moscow Oblast



Hotels, motels and where to sleep

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat


Description of Dmitrov

Dmitrov is a medieval town situated 65 km (40 mi) North of Moscow. Dmitrov was founded in 1154 by Yury Dolgoruky (Yury Long-hand) at the site where his son Vsevolod the Big Nest was born. Its name is derived from Vsevolod's patron saint St. Demetrius. It was given town rights in 1374. During the early 16th century Dmitrov flourished and the Assumption Cathedral in the kremlin and the monastery cathedral of Sts. Boris and Gleb were constructed. However, in 1569 the city was seized by the secret police "Oprichnina" and went into a decline, which was further accelerated during the "Time of Troubles", when the city was sacked by Polish troops. The city was on the frontier during both the Napoleonic wars and World War II (known as the first and second great patriotic wars in Russia). The renowned Russian anarchist Piotr Kropotkin resided in the city between the Russian revolution in 1917 and his death in 1921. During the 1930s the Moscow channel was constructed, passing through the western part of Dmitrov.


Travel Destinations in Dmitrov

In the center there is a large number of cathedrals. With the exception of cathedrals, almost all the rest of the buildings are typical panel houses of regional series. There are very few pre-revolutionary houses.

 Dmitrov Kremlin

The Dmitrovsky Kremlin is surrounded by earthen fortifications, oval in plan and representing a shaft up to 15 m high and 960 m long. ) were travel cards. The third passage inside the fortifications appeared only in the second half of the 19th century. The shaft was surrounded by a moat with drawbridges - today there is only a small southern section of the moat, restored in the 1980s and not filled with water. During the Time of Troubles, the wooden fortifications were burned down and never rebuilt. Nikolsky gates were recreated in 2004 according to the project of architect I. Yu. Korovin, but on April 20, 2007 they burned down. A few months later they were restored, but on May 15, 2010 they burned down again and were restored again. They stand to this day.

In 1933-1934, as a result of archaeological research, the remains of wooden log dwellings of the 12th century, a forge, a cheese furnace, and a shop were found in the settlement. In 2001-2003, excavations were carried out on the territory of the Kremlin by the Institute of Archeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences under the leadership of A.V. Engovatova, during which the existence of a settlement there (apparently not fortified) was established since the 10th century.

The architectural dominant of the Kremlin is the Assumption Cathedral, built between 1509 and 1533 and repeatedly subjected to alterations, as a result of which in 1841 it acquired 9 domes and a pyramidal composition. The cathedral houses a five-tiered iconostasis of the late 17th century with icons from the 15th-19th centuries; three monumental tiled bas-reliefs of the 16th century, unique for ancient Russian plastic arts, were introduced into the system of outdoor decoration.

Nearby is an administrative complex, the buildings of which (office offices, outbuildings, a prison) were built at different times from 1810 to the 1830s. Much later, the prison Elizabethan Church was added to it (1898, architect S. K. Rodionov, built at the expense of the manufacturers Lyamins) in the Russian style, interpreting the forms of the 17th century.

Also within the boundaries of the fortifications is a gymnasium (1876, rebuilt and expanded by S.K. Rodionov in 1915), a noble assembly and a parochial school. Near the passage of the Nikolsky Gate in 1868, at the expense of the townspeople, in commemoration of the miraculous rescue of Alexander II from an assassination attempt, in 1866 the chapel of St. Alexander Nevsky in the eclectic "Ton" style. Several 19th century buildings are located southwest of the Kremlin. Among them, the Sukhodayev Hotel (1872) stands out, which now houses the district administration. Behind it along Sovetskaya Street is the former Church of the Savior, rebuilt in Soviet times and now occupied by the services of the administration of the Dmitrovsky district.


Boris and Gleb Monastery

Known since 1472. The oldest building on the territory of the monastery is the Cathedral of Boris and Gleb (built before 1537). Dating according to a fragment of a tombstone with the date 1537 inserted into the masonry of the northern apse (circa 1840) is erroneous. Most likely, the cathedral was built in the middle of the 16th century, perhaps as a contribution of Tsar Ivan the Terrible "to the liking" of his starving uncle Yuri Ivanovich. At the end of the 17th century, active construction began in the monastery: in 1685-1689, a 4-meter fence with 4 corner turrets was built. The complex of the Holy Gates with the St. Nicholas Church (1672-1687), fraternal cells (late 17th century) and the spiritual board (1902, architect P. A. Ushakov) are built into the walls, behind the walls is the rector's building of the first half of the 19th century.

Since 1926, the monastery housed the local museum of local lore, later transferred to the Assumption Cathedral. Since 1932, it has housed the Moscow-Volga and Dmitlag Canal Construction Department. During the war, the monastery was occupied by a military unit, after which it was occupied by various organizations and apartments. In 1993, the monastery was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church and has now been completely restored.



The Kazan Church, built in 1735 in the Podlipichye estate (Podlipichye street, houses 4, 6) (see below), was rebuilt in the 1770s by P.P. Khitrovo. In the 1880s, P. M. Samarinov expanded the northern aisle. Modern wall painting was made in 1907, the iconostasis - in 1867; icons of the 16th-17th and 19th centuries.
The Vvedenskaya Church in Konyushennaya Sloboda (Zarechye, Staro-Rogachevskaya Street, 47) was built in 1763-1768 at the expense of the merchants F. K. Makarov, A. I. and I. A. Tolchenovs. In 1786 (perhaps, according to the project of N.P. Osipov), a bell tower was built, enlarged in 1832. The interior of the late 18th century and the wall painting of 1788 are in excellent condition.
The Trinity-Tikhvin Church (Pushkinskaya street, 17) was built in 1795-1801 at the expense of merchants G. I. Loshkin and A. S. Fufaev, modeled on the Nikitskaya Church of Vladimir.
Sretenskaya Church (Professionalnaya street, house 65) in Berezovskaya Sloboda on the banks of the Berezovets River. It was built in 1814 at the expense of merchants Bolshakov and Korovaev in honor of the victory of Russian troops over Napoleon. In 1883, according to the project of the architect S. K. Rodionov, a massive eclectic bell tower was built instead of the previous one. The wall paintings, interior decoration and iconostasis are the latest, from the 1990s.
Elias Church (Staro-Yakhromskaya street, building 1). Built of brick at the expense of parishioners. Laid down in 1778, completed in 1783. The bell tower was added later. A monument of architecture in the "Baroque" style with a local interpretation of art forms characteristic of Dmitrov. In the southeast corner of the church lot is a small nineteenth-century brick gatehouse.
Church of the Savior (Sovetskaya street, 12). It was built by parishioners from 1767 to 1773 on the site of the Pyatnitsky maiden monastery abolished in 1764. The church was built in the "baroque" style, typical of Dmitrov construction in the third quarter of the eighteenth century. The temple had two chapels, which were consecrated in honor of the Nativity of the Virgin and the Great Martyr Paraskeva Pyatnitsa. According to this chapel, the entire temple was usually called Pyatnitsky among the people. In the early 1930s the church was closed, the bell tower and dome were broken. Part of the church icons of the 15th-16th centuries was transferred to the Dmitrov Historical and Art Museum and to the Andrei Rublev Central Museum of Ancient Russian Culture and Art. In 1944, the southern extension to the building was made by captured Germans, later the northern extension was added. Various institutions have now settled in the former temple, and only the general contours of the building remind of its former purpose.
Church of All Saints at the All Saints Cemetery. It was built at the expense of parishioners in the mid-2000s instead of the previously existing wooden cemetery church, erected in 1868 at the expense of the rector of the Simonov Monastery, Archimandrite Evstafiy (Romanovsky) and demolished in the 1930s during the laying of the Moscow Canal.
Chapel of St. Alexander Nevsky (Torgovaya Square, 12). It was built at the expense of the residents of Dmitrov in 1868 according to the project of the architect V. O. Grudzin. Built in Russian style. Brick plastered octahedron topped with keeled kokoshniks and a high hipped roof, a typical example of Ton's architecture. It was closed after the revolution, opened in 1993, renovated. There is no interior decoration.
Prison Elizabethan Church.


Urban development of the 18th - early 20th centuries

In Dmitrov, prior to the start of mass construction in the 1960s, wooden manor buildings predominated. And now the suburbs and some of the central quarters of Dmitrov are one-two-story private houses with gardens that preserve the historical urban environment.

The city has preserved examples of wooden buildings of the 19th - early 20th centuries, among them:
House of the merchant and mayor Voznichikhin (1st quarter of the 19th century). In 1837, V. A. Zhukovsky stayed there with his pupil, the future Emperor Alexander II. After ascending the throne, Alexander came here again in 1858.
The Klyatov House (1822) in the style of wooden classicism is located at the corner of Zagorskaya and Kropotkinskaya streets (Sergievskaya and Dvoryanskaya before the revolution).
The house of the merchant Novoselov (1842) in the Empire style; located near the Klyatovs' house.
House of Merchants Fufaevs (1840s - 1850s) at the corner of Pushkinskaya st. and st. Semenyuk is the most characteristic example of residential development in Dmitrov in the 19th century.

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, wooden Art Nouveau was widely used, represented by the following buildings:
The house of the local marshal of the nobility Count M. A. Olsufiev, chairman of the Dmitrov Zemstvo Council (1896). P. A. Kropotkin spent the last years of his life (1918-1921) in it, as reported by a memorial plaque installed in 1924. Now the house-museum of P. A. Kropotkin is located in the house, surrounded by modern multi-storey buildings.
House of Countess O. D. Milyutina (circa 1900), daughter of Minister of War D. A. Milyutin. Located on Zagorskaya street.
House of Prince Vadbolsky (beginning of the 20th century) on the street. Lyra Nikolskaya.
The house of the merchant Rybakov (beginning of the 20th century) not far from Voznichikhin's house on Rogachevskaya street.
and etc.

One of the earliest examples of surviving residential stone buildings is the classicist house of the merchant Titov. The exact date of its construction is unknown, but it is already shown on Dmitrov's plan of 1800. In the second half of the 19th century, the house belonged to the mayor A.P. Yemelyanov. It is located between the Yakhroma River and the canal.

Across the river Yakhroma (District) was the estate of the Tolchenovs grain merchants, merchants of the first guild A. I. and I. A. Tolchenovs. A house (1785-1788, possibly designed by N.P. Osipov), an outbuilding (1774) and the remains of a garden have been preserved from it. The estate was sold in 1796 to the merchant of the first guild I. A. Tugarinov (which is why it became known as "Tugarinov's house"), in the 1840s it belonged to M. A. Arkhangelskaya, after it fell into decay, was rebuilt, but in 1968-1974 the house and the outbuilding were restored in their original form under the leadership of L. A. Belova. In the vicinity of the estate there is an almshouse built by Tugarinov in the first quarter of the 19th century (Tugarinovskaya almshouse).

In the 1930s, another estate, Podlipichye, entered the city. It was founded back in the 17th century by clerk Grigory Pyatovo, from 1685 to the end of the 18th century it belonged to the noble family of Khitrovo, in the middle of the 19th century N.A. manufactory. The layout of the estate has been lost - only the house (second half of the 18th century, repeatedly rebuilt in the 19th and 20th centuries) and the Kazan Church (1735) have survived.

It should also be noted the station building, built, according to various sources, in 1887 or 1900.


New attractions

During a large-scale campaign to improve the city, which unfolded on the eve of the celebration of his 850th birthday, Dmitrov's appearance changed markedly. Among other things, monuments and sculptures were erected, including:

Monument to Yuri Dolgoruky (2001, sculptor V. M. Tserkovnikov) at the southern entrance to the Kremlin
Monument to Cyril and Methodius (2004, sculptor A. I. Rukavishnikov, architect R. V. Narsky) near the Assumption Cathedral
Monument to P. A. Kropotkin (2004, sculptor A. I. Rukavishnikov) and a sculptural composition depicting Dmitrov residents of different classes and eras on the street. Kropotkinskaya (2003, sculptor A. Karaulov, architect G. Gulyaeva)
Monument to Boris and Gleb near the walls of the monastery (2006, sculptor A.I. Rukavishnikov) - unique in that there are two equestrian figures on one pedestal

Fountains launched:
Fountain "Lily" (2004, designed by A. I. Rukavishnikov)
Fountain "Waiting" (2003, sculptor A. I. Rukavishnikov, architect R. V. Narsky)
Cascade of fountains in the central square
Stela-fountain dedicated to the industrialization of the region, in connection with the construction of the canal named after. Moscow in 1932-1937 (2000s, author B. F. Khazov)
and etc.

At the original location of the T-34 tank monument, erected in memory of the soldiers who fought here during the Great Patriotic War, the Eternal Flame was lit in the city center on November 8, 2001 (architect R. Narsky, sculptor A. Shitov). The tank itself was transported to the outskirts of Dmitrov, where the Nazi troops were stopped. In 2001, the Walk of Fame was opened (architects N. Potapova, I. Smirnova, G. Gulyaeva) with chestnut trees planted in honor of honorary citizens.

In 2004, the State Bank of Russia issued a collection bimetallic coin "Dmitrov" with a face value of 10 rubles from the "Ancient Cities of Russia" series. On the reverse of the coin - the image of the Assumption Cathedral of the Dmitrovsky Kremlin against the backdrop of the panorama of the city, above - the coat of arms of the city of Dmitrov.

In 2012, the State Bank of Russia issued a collection coin "Dmitrov" with a face value of 10 rubles from the "Cities of Military Glory" series. On the reverse of the coin there is an image of the coat of arms of the city of Dmitrov.


Outskirts of Dmitrov

Museum of the history of the channel. Moscow in the village of Dedenevo, st. Komsomolskaya, house 27 (st. Tourist Savyolovsky direction, from Dmitrov (more than 45 minutes): on weekdays 9.20-12, 14-15, 18.30-19.20, 21-22; From 20-20-20.10; from Iksha on weekdays 9.20- 10.10, 11.40-14.40, 15.40-16.40 or buses 32 (8 per day mostly before lunch), 43 (3 per day), 401 (about 2 per hour) from Dmitrov or Iksha, 54 (3 per day) from Dmitrov. Located next to the gateway number 4 in the administrative building of the Yakhroma district of hydraulic structures. The museum contains exhibits telling about the construction of the canal, its role in the Second World War and use today.


History of Dmitrov

Dmitrov was originally founded by Yury Dolgoruky in 1154, where his son Vsevolod was born. Its name is explained by the fact that Vsevolod's patron saint was St. Demetrius.

In the 13th century, the settlement marked a point where the borders of the Grand Duchy of Moscow, Tver, and Pereslavl-Zalessky converged. The settlement itself belonged to the princes of Galich-Mersky, located much to the north, until 1364, when it was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Both Dmitry Donskoy and his grandson Vasily II granted Dmitrov as an appanage to their younger sons, so Dmitrov was the capital of a tiny principality. In 1374, it was given town rights.

The reign of Ivan III's son Yury Ivanovich (1503–1533) inaugurated the golden age of Dmitrov. It is during his reign that the black-domed Assumption Cathedral in the kremlin and a smaller monastery cathedral of Sts. Boris and Gleb were built. Thereafter, the town passed to Yury's brother, Andrey of Staritsa. In 1569, it was seized from Vladimir of Staritsa, added to the Oprichnina and consequently went into a decline. The town suffered further damage during the Time of Troubles, when it was ransacked by the Poles.

In 1812, Dmitrov was briefly occupied by the French Grande Armée (Great Army). In 1941 another invers the German Army or Wehrmacht soldiers were stopped on the outskirts of the town. The Anarchist prince Peter Kropotkin spent his last years there. In the 1930s, the local kremlin was excavated by Soviet archaeologists.



How to get there

By plane
The nearest airport in Moscow is Sheremetyevo.

By train
By electric trains (from the Savelovsky railway station in Moscow) to the following stations: Dmitrov, Dubna, Savelovo, Verbilki, Taldom. Travel time for a regular train is about 1 hour 20 minutes, for a comfortable express train - 1 hour. The fare from Moscow is 168/260/318 rubles (2020) depending on the type of train.

Train Station. 1887, commemorative plaques on the building, water tower on the square.

By car
From Moscow or Dubna along the Dmitrov highway, the distance is about 65 kilometers. Crossing the channel. Moscow to enter the city is possible through the bridge in Yakhroma or within the city along Novo-Rogachevskaya street.

From east to west, the second concrete road A108 passes through the city: from the east side, you can get into the city from Sergiev Posad, in the western direction Novorogachevsky highway connects the city with Klin.

By bus
From Moscow from the metro station "Altufievo".

Bus station (near the railway station).

On the ship
Dmitrov is located on the Moscow Canal, the port has been abolished. Motor ships and passenger ships do not stop in the city.


Hotels, motels and where to sleep

The choice of hotels in Dmitrov is small, while the quality of service is sufficient, and prices are significantly lower than in Moscow. Also in the city there are a sufficient number of apartments of good quality. In addition to guests of the city, hotels are a budget option for overnight stays for visitors to neighboring ski resorts near Moscow.

1  Four Crowns Hotel, Lira Nikolskaya St., 7. A small hotel a stone's throw from the ramparts and Kropotkinskaya street. The hotel is located in a historic building, the disadvantage is the lack of its own parking.
2 "DmitrovGrad" hotel (**), 2nd Inzhenernaya st., 2. 2000 rub/double standard. Ordinary budget hotel on the outskirts of the city center (to the station and the center 15-20 minutes on foot). Dedicated area with parking, breakfasts on order, kitchen on the ground floor with a refrigerator, kettle and microwave, self-catering is allowed. WiFi. Of the shortcomings, the complete lack of sound insulation.
3  Princess Frog Hotel, Professionalnaya St., 23.
4  Hotel "Crystal", Professionalnaya str., 28.
Hotel "On Staro-Moskovskoy" ("On Staro-Moskovskaya"), Staro-Moskovskaya st., 30, Dmitrov. ☎ +7 (496) 227-48-42. around the clock. Two stars, 45 rooms at 225–500 ₽/night. In a word, hostel. Of the advantages, only one is cheap, but there is still no coffee machine. The rest is all solid minuses - the room smells, no towels, no soap in the washbasin.


Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Fast food
McDonald's, Dmitrov, st. Professional, d. 3a. 7.00-24.00.
Burger King, Moskovskaya st., 27a (near the railway and bus station).

Sushi bar "samurai".
Dining room, Torgovaya square, 1A. Self-service canteen with very cheap prices.

Average cost
Cafe "Old Dukan".

Coffee-house "Coffee-time", Kropotkinskaya str., 59a. The average check is 1000 rubles / person. Behind the indistinct format and the usual name is a cozy restaurant with good service and delicious cuisine.
Pizzeria "Antonio", st. Professional, d. 6, p. 1. The average check is ~1000 rubles.
Cafe Cherry Orchard.
Cafe Talisman.



Company sales and service center Megafon, Professional Street, 8B (Albatross shopping center, 3rd floor). Mon — Sun 10: 00–20: 00


Precautionary measures

In the center of the city there is a high observation hill, which offers excellent views of the sights of the city. However, the slope of the hill is quite steep, and the descent/ascent is not marked, so in wet weather, you should be careful when descending/ascending.



Dmitrov is located 65 km north of the center of Moscow (50 km from the Moscow Ring Road), at the intersection of highways: A104, A108 and P112.

The city has a railway station Dmitrov Savelovsky direction. Railway junction; double-track road to the south (Moscow), single-track - to the north (Dubna and Kimry) and to the east (Aleksandrov).

There used to be a cargo port on the Moscow Canal.

The city is located on the hills of the Klinsko-Dmitrov Upland and in the valley of the Yakhroma River. In the north-west of the city, along the Yakhroma floodplain, the Upper Volga lowland begins.



Early history
Before the existence of the city in the X-XI centuries, there was a Slavic settlement on an elevated (dry) place. Excavations in 2001-2003, carried out by the Moscow Region Archaeological Expedition of the Institute of Archeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, discovered an elevated remnant near the oxbow lake of the Yakhroma River and various household items on its territory. The earliest finds date back to the 10th century. Later, in the middle of the 12th century, during the construction of ramparts on the site of existing fortifications, wetlands adjoining from the north also entered the territory of the Dmitrovsky Kremlin.

According to the chronicle, the city was founded in 1154 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky in the valley of the Yakhroma River on the site of a Slavic settlement that previously existed here and was named after his newborn son Vsevolod, later nicknamed the “Big Nest”. According to the custom of that time, at baptism, Vsevolod received a middle name - Dmitry in honor of the holy Great Martyr Dmitry of Thessalonica, revered in Rus', this name was given to the city.

“In the summer of 6663 (from the creation of the World), the son of Dmitri was born to Prince Yuri, then in the crowd on the river on Yakhroma, and with the princess and lay the city in the name of his son and named Dmitrov, and his son was named Vsevolod.”

In 1181, it is mentioned in the annals as a city, which is a fortified point on the western outskirts of the Vladimir-Suzdal land. Dmitrov had not only strategic importance as a border fortress, but also economic. From here, along the rivers Yakhroma and Sestra, there was a waterway to the upper reaches of the Volga, by land the city was connected with the upper reaches of the Klyazma, from where goods could be delivered to Vladimir. However, the trade route along Yakhroma and Sestra was able to fully realize itself only in the 15th-16th centuries, linking not Vladimir, but Moscow with the Volga, which was due for the most part to political instability in the region, which was eliminated only after the unification of Rus'.

In 1180, during the war between Svyatoslav Vsevolodovich and Vsevolod the Big Nest, Dmitrov was burned by the Chernigov prince. Soon he recovered from ruin and by 1214 it was already a large city with suburbs, and belonged to Yaroslav Vsevolodovich. Then the son of Vsevolod Vladimir approached him with the army recruited in Moscow. It was not possible to take the city, moreover, during the retreat of the enemy, the Dmitrovites defeated one of his detachments.


Center of a specific principality

The city has repeatedly changed its owners. During the attack of Vladimir, he and the surrounding area were part of the small Pereyaslavl specific principality with the center in the city of Pereyaslavl-Zalessky, which was part of the Vladimir-Suzdal Grand Duchy. Around 1247, the Galicia-Dmitrovsky principality was formed, then, between 1280, when the chronicle reports the death of Prince David Konstantinovich of Galicia and Dmitrovsky, and 1334, when princes Boris Dmitrovsky and Fedor Galitsky are mentioned, the Galicia-Dmitrov principality disintegrates and an independent Dmitrov principality is formed.

During the 13th century, the city was sacked twice (in 1238 by Batu and 1293 by Tudan) by the Mongol-Tatars. In 1300, a congress of four leading princes of North-Eastern Rus' (Andrei Alexandrovich Vladimirsky, Daniil Alexandrovich Moscow, Ivan Dmitrievich Pereyaslavsky and Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver) took place in Dmitrov. in 1382 the city was burned by Tokhtamysh, the last time the steppe raid affected the city in 1408 (Edigey).

In 1364 the Dmitrovsky principality became part of the Moscow one, and the title of Prince Dmitrovsky was retained by the sons of the Grand Duke. In 1372, the city was besieged, set fire to the urban settlement and took a ransom from it, Mikhail, Prince of Tver. The city reached its peak in the first half of the 16th century under Prince Yuri (ruled 1505-1533), the second son of Ivan III. It was at this time that the Assumption Cathedral was erected and stone construction began in the Borisoglebsky Monastery. Herberstein reports that the trade relations of Dmitrov merchants reached the Caspian Sea, a trade route to the north passed through Dmitrov, where bread was supplied and from where furs, salt and valuable hunting birds were brought to Moscow. The Dmitrov trade was patronized by the highest princely power, for example, in 1489 it was here that merchants from the conquered Vyatka settled.

The Dmitrovsky squads and the militia participated in the Battle of Kulikovo, various chronicles mention from 20 to 25 “Dmitrovsky boyars” who died in the battle.

In the 15th-16th centuries, urban settlements populated by artisans and merchants formed around the center of Dmitrov: Berezovskaya, Spasskaya, Pyatnitskaya, Nikitskaya, Ilyinskaya (or Yuryevskaya) and Vasilievskaya, Konyushennaya Sloboda across the Yakhroma River, which belonged to the Konyushenny Prikaz. Also Borisoglebskaya monastery settlement with outbuildings. The palace village of Podlipichye directly adjoined the city.



In 1565, after the division of the Russian state by Tsar Ivan the Terrible into oprichnina and zemshchina, the city became part of the latter.

In 1569, Prince Vladimir Andreevich of Dmitrov was executed, being the last specific prince in Rus', and the city was transferred to the oprichnina. At this time, Rus' was plunged into a severe crisis, which also affected the Dmitrov trade. Heinrich von Staden, in the 1560-1570s, describing in his "Notes on Muscovy" the way to Moscow along the Sheksna, Volga and other rivers through Uglich and Dmitrov, noted that these cities were deserted.

On January 12, 1610, detachments of Jan Sapieha, who retreated from the walls of the Trinity-Sergius Monastery, fortified in the city (see Trinity siege). In February, Mikhail Skopin-Shuisky came out against them, he defeated Sapega in a field battle and would have liberated Dmitrov, but the Don Cossacks, allied to the Poles, kept the city. Sapega, however, did not linger in Dmitrov - after waiting for the arrival of detachments with supplies from beyond the Volga, he retreated to Volokolamsk, and Skopin-Shuisky, having thus lifted the blockade of Moscow, solemnly entered the capital.

The Polish ruin affected for a long time. The wooden fortifications destroyed by Sapieha were no longer restored, especially since the need for them disappeared. In 1624, only 127 people lived in the city in more than 100 households. Another hundred yards were empty. However, after 25 years, the population increased 10 times, but never reached the figure of a century ago. The revival of the old river trade route began only with the founding of St. Petersburg, although as early as the end of the 17th century it was used to deliver live fish from the Volga to the royal table in special vessels.


County town

Dmitrov is the center of the Dmitrovsky district, which, in addition to the territory of the modern Dmitrovsky district, also included the territories of the Sergiev Posad district and the Taldom district.

In 1781, among many Russian cities, Dmitrov received a coat of arms.

In the XVIII-XIX centuries, Dmitrov remained mainly a trading city. The share of merchants here reached 10-15%, while the average for the country of merchants was about 1.3% of the urban population. By the end of the 18th century, a new revival began in local trade, which affected the development of Dmitrov. Stone construction is resumed, old wooden churches are rebuilt, in 1784 the city receives a regular building plan.

The Patriotic War of 1812 did almost no damage to the city. On October 10 (September 28, NS), 1812, Dmitrov occupied a French detachment, but, having learned about the approach of Russian troops from Klin, he soon left the city without a fight.

It is curious that the "calling card" of the city, as in Tula, were gingerbread, as well as bagels. In particular, during the visit of Alexander II in 1858, instead of traditional bread and salt, the guest was offered a printed gingerbread. Museums still have mold boards for traditional Dmitrov gingerbread “acceleration”.

In the second half of the 19th century, after the construction of the Nikolaev railway Moscow-St. Petersburg through Klin (1851) and the Moscow-Yaroslavl railway through Sergiev Posad (1869), Dmitrov, remaining the administrative center, found itself in a relatively disadvantageous economic position, the importance of the old river trade was declining. to no, the population is declining, although the county as a whole was considered one of the most industrialized in the province along with Bogorodsky and Moscow.

The city was partly brought out of this state by the construction of the Moscow-Savelovo railway (1900). The road went straight through the city. During construction, the old bed of the Yakhroma River (Neteku) was filled up.

By the time of World War I, population and industry began to grow. In particular, the Galkin iron foundry received an order for the manufacture of a number of parts for the experimental Tsar Tank, which was soon tested at a training ground near the village of Ochevo, Dmitrovsky district. The creation in 1915 of the Union of Dmitrov Cooperatives contributed to the development of economic ties in the county.


Bolshevik-Soviet period

After the February Revolution of 1917, power in the country and the district was concentrated in the hands of the Cadets, Octobrists, Mensheviks and Socialist-Revolutionaries. Prince Gagarin was appointed representative of the Provisional Government in the district, and the Octobrist landowner Gruzinov was appointed chief of police. Two bodies of power are formed in the county: the Committee of Public Organizations and the Council of Workers' Deputies.

On March 10-15, 1917, elections were held for the Soviet of Workers' Deputies. There are 2 Bolsheviks, the majority are Mensheviks and Socialist-Revolutionaries, and in the social group there are doctors, agronomists, lawyers, and also workers. N. S. Korzhenevskaya, a doctor at the Dmitrov hospital, became its chairman. 104 people were elected to the district council of peasant deputies.

July 1917. At a meeting of representatives of local party organizations in Dmitrov, the first uyezd committee of the RSDLP (Bolsheviks) was elected from representatives of factory cells consisting of three people - V. V. Minin (chairman), A. I. Bokarev, M. S. Mikhaylin.

September 1917. The headquarters of the Red Guard was established in the county. A county military revolutionary committee (WRC) was formed. AI Rzhanov is appointed Chairman. The Mensheviks and Socialist-Revolutionaries, in contrast, create their own Committee of Public Security, headed by the cadet V.P. Kaverin.

On the night of November 3-4, the Red Guard detachment of the Butyrsky district of Moscow under the leadership of Torgovanov, detachments from Iksha and Yakhroma seize power in the Dmitrovsky district (occupy the station, post office, telegraph office and the premises of the district police). At a meeting of the Military Revolutionary Committee, an appeal was adopted to the population of Dmitrov and the district.

1918 January 7-8 1st United Uyezd Congress of Soviets of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies, elections of the Executive Committee. Chairman - D.K. Kovalkin, Secretary - I.V. Minin. Approval of the composition of the county Council of People's Commissars.

By a resolution of the 2nd District Congress of the Council of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies dated January 23, 1918, the zemstvo and city councils were dissolved, after which the city council began to function.

The catastrophic nature of the food problem in the city grew as the naturalization of the economy, direct product exchange and other measures of the policy of war communism, which the Bolsheviks began in the summer of 1918, began to increase. th category (the entire population of the city was divided into 3 categories depending on social class), which included the propertied strata of the city. The list for February 1918 includes 87 people, including famous people of Dmitrov in the past: Prince M. A. Gagarin, Countess O. D. Milyutina, mayor A. I. Polyaninov, city headman L. A. Elizarov and others .

August 6, 1918 Reorganization of the Dmitrov City Council into the Committee of the Poor by decision of the county Council of Workers', Peasants' and Red Army Deputies. This meant, in fact, the strengthening of emergency revolutionary bodies to replace the representative ones after the introduction of the food dictatorship.

On August 11, 1918, in the Dmitrovsky district, an uprising of local residents took place against an attempt to additionally seize property by the forces of a troika of security officers and a detachment of Red Army soldiers in the village of Rogachevo. Outraged by the decision of the local Committee of the Poor on the additional seizure of grain and food, the inhabitants of Rogachev and its environs attacked the food detachment that arrived here. 6 Red Guards (Red Army) were killed. The next day, a detachment of Red Army soldiers arrived in Rogachevo from Dmitrov, and then a detachment of Latvian riflemen from Moscow. During the cleansing, several instigators of the uprising were captured and shot; their bodies, located on the Cathedral Square with. Rogachevo, still not buried. The ashes of the Red Army soldiers who died on August 11 were transported to Dmitrov and buried in the park along Zagorskaya Street[14]. At this place, an obelisk with a red star and 4 commemorative plaques with records of six martyr heroes who died in the fight against the fists was erected.

In 2005, during work in the square, the old monument, which became a historical evidence of the Civil War, was dismantled, and an object with unreadable letters was placed in its place. In 2016, a memorial plaque with the restored names of the buried soldiers was installed on a granite slab.

February 10, 1921 - seeing off with the coffin of the body of P. A. Kropotkin, who died on the night of February 7-8.

1929 Formation of the Dmitrovsky district, which included 7 volosts of the former Dmitrovsky district of the Moscow province and a number of settlements in the Sergievsky and Klin districts. In 1930, the volosts were liquidated as administrative units. Subsequently, the boundaries of the region changed several times. The most significant of these changes was the division in 1935 of the territory of the district into two: the Dmitrovsky proper and the Communist one, with the center in Rogachev.

Streets in the city were renamed: Minin (in honor of the oldest Bolshevik Dmitrov - V.V. Minin, formerly Valovaya), Semenyuka (former 1st Borisoglebskaya), Kropotkinskaya (Dvoryanskaya), Postal (Pyatnitskaya), Professional (Kashinskaya), Vodoprovodnaya (Spasskaya ), then renamed Pushkinskaya, Kostinskaya (Borisoglebskaya) - then Lyra Nikolskaya, Zagorskaya (Troitskaya), Sovietskaya (part of Moscow), Sovietskaya Square (Verkhnetorgovaya).

In honor of the peasant writer S.P. Podyachev, one of the streets of Dmitrov was named.


Construction of the Moscow-Volga canal. Dmitlag. Industrialization

On April 10, 1932, the Presidium of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee decided to "Include in the city of Dmitrov, Dmitrovsky district, the villages: Podlipichye, Shpilevo and Podlipichya Sloboda with their land."

June 15, 1931 Decree of the Plenum of the Central Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks on the construction of the Moscow-Volga Canal. June 1, 1932. The Council of People's Commissars of the USSR considered and approved the Dmitrovsky version of the direction of the canal route. Creation of the Office of Moscow-Volgostroy and Dmitlag of the OGPU (since 1934 - the NKVD). The construction of the canal was carried out by the prisoners.

In 1932, in connection with the beginning of the construction of the canal, the leadership of Dmitlag decided to adapt the Borisoglebsky Monastery to their needs, where since 1926 the museum and archive were located. The printing house of the district executive committee was also transferred to Dmitlag. In a newly built building on Moskovskaya Street, various publications of the Moscow-Volgostroy and Dmitlag administrations were printed.

September 1934. Completion of work on 1 experimental kilometer of the canal between Dmitrov and Yakhroma.

On the site of the House of Culture of the Dmitrov Excavator Plant (DEZ), on Bolshevik Street, until the end of the 1950s, there was a one-story Dmitlag club (now the Sovremennik recreation center). The square around the recreation center and the fence have been preserved. In 1933, it was brought disassembled after the construction of the White Sea-Baltic Canal was completed. The club hosted campaigns by Soviet writers for the re-education of prisoners by labor and meetings of the leaders of DmitLag. Nearby is the beautiful building of the Dmitrovsky Electric Networks of the Moscow Canal Administration, which was built during the construction of the canal.

The number of DmitLag, according to the census on January 1, 1933, found in various sources, amounted to 1 million 200 thousand prisoners.

Engineers and civilians lived mainly in Dmitrov, and camps with prisoners were located along the entire route of the canal. The population of the city grew very significantly (3 times), and there was not enough housing. At that time, residents simply called this area of the city - DmitLag. Old-timers of Dmitrov remember well the so-called "town" with streets: Bolshevik, Chekistskaya, Komsomolskaya, Pionerskaya, Inzhenernaya (wooden 2-story barracks for technical workers), Energeticheskaya, Shlyuzovaya.

April 17, 1937 - filling the entire route of the Moscow-Volga canal with water. 1st of May. Arrival in Dmitrov along the channel of the first flotilla of ships from the Volga. July 15. Opening of the first permanent channel navigation. In 1947, in connection with the 800th anniversary of Moscow, the Moscow-Volga Canal was renamed the Moscow Canal.

The canal was laid right through the urban area. During the laying of the canal, the Zarechye turned out to be isolated, almost excluded from the economic life of the city, and entire blocks of the historical part of Dmitrov, located on the route of the canal, between the Yakhroma River and its old channel (Neteka) disappeared. The Church of All Saints, the Church of the Transfiguration (also Nikitskaya Church) on Nikitskaya Street (now Lugovaya) and the Church of Basil the Great (Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Netek) were demolished.

The houses located on the territory of the canal being laid were transferred to the former collective farm lands with the formation of the Gorky settlement. The village was named in honor of the famous writer and figure A. M. Gorky, who repeatedly visited and spoke at various events at the construction of the Volga-Moscow Canal.

In 1938, after the construction of the canal was completed, the ITL of the Dmitrov Mechanical Plant was spun off from Dmitlag. Where prisoners worked until August 1940. Since 1940 - Dmitrovsky Plant of Milling Machines (DZFS). The village of DZFS later became part of the city of Dmitrov.

After the construction of the canal, the campaign and production base of Dmitlag broke up into several enterprises, which were renamed and transferred to the People's Commissariats of Industry: Federal State Budgetary Institution "Moscow Canal", Gravel and Sand Plant No. 24, Dmitrov Milling Machine Plant, Offset Printing Factory No. 2, freight railway station Kanalstroy and Dmitrovsky excavator plant.

The construction gave impetus to the industrial development of the city and the region. Also, the next rise of the city is also associated with the revival of the waterway to the north.

Also, as a result of the construction, the village of Kanalstroy, Volgostroevskaya, Volzhskaya streets appeared.

At the entrance to Dmitrov from the south on the western bank of the canal on July 17, 1997 (in the year of the 60th anniversary of construction, at the initiative of the city administration), a 13-meter steel memorial cross was erected in memory of the prisoners who died during the construction of the canal.

May 1941. Announcement of the Yakhroma floodplain as a "people's construction site". The start of extensive work on the development of the floodplain was interrupted by the war and resumed in 1958-1959.


Military and post-war period

In November 1941, the Dmitrovsky excavator plant was evacuated to Tyumen. The Dmitrov knitting (glove) factory is evacuated to the city of Sovetsk, Kirov region. Dmitrovsky plant of milling machines switches to the production of military products.

On November 26-27, 1941, in the Dmitrov region, an offensive was launched by the Nazi troops deployed on the Peremilovskaya Height, which is part of the Battle for Moscow south of Dmitrov.

They managed to cross the channel and gain a foothold on the heights, but on November 29 they were driven out of there by the First Shock Army of Lieutenant General Kuznetsov V.I., who was in Dmitrov. From Dmitrov, the armored train No. 73 of the NKVD operated under the command of Captain Malyshev, the Dmitrov construction battalion. After that, the counteroffensive of the Red Army began. By December 11, the entire Dmitrovsky district was liberated from the invaders.

In the 1940s, the construction of a Finnish village on the northeastern outskirts of the city by the forces of prisoners of war.

In 1952, the building Bridge Train No. 422 received a residence permit in Dmitrov, which then received the name Mostootryad-90. The company is building many important facilities in the city and the region.

The 1950s saw a new rise in housing construction. Enterprises built two-story brick houses for their workers. Dmitrovskaya glove factory near the station along Moskovskaya street, DZFS in the north of the city (DZFS village), DEZ - along Bolshevik lane, Plant of reinforced concrete bridge structures (MZHBK) - along Inzhenernaya street.

In 1959, the allocation of the village of Kanalstroy and the village of the Reinforced Concrete Structure Plant from the Orudevsky village council within the boundaries of Dmitrov.

In 1962, the Yunost factory was transferred from the village to the city center, on its basis a large sewing enterprise for the production of children's clothing was created.

In 1963, the Moscow Regional Executive Committee approved a new master plan for Dmitrov, according to which the old city was being renovated and large-scale construction was planned in new territories. In the same year, the first houses of the new Cosmonauts microdistrict were occupied.

In 1972, the construction of the Dmitrovsky pilot plant for aluminum canning tape in the Northern Industrial Zone (the former settlement of Kanalstroy and the settlement of Thermal Insulation Products), where aluminum tape for the food industry was produced for the first time in the country.

In the 1960s-1980s, the city was built up with multi-apartment panel houses manufactured by the Dmitrov House-Building Plant and acquired the main features of its modern look.

The architectural ensemble of the pre-revolutionary city has been preserved inside the Kremlin and on the trading square, as well as around the rampart and behind the railway in the form of a “private sector” (the former settlements of Dmitrov).


Recent history

V. V. Gavrilov, who was the head of the Dmitrovsky municipal district from 1991 to 2017, was appointed and then elected the head of the city (district).

In the 1990s, the construction of a new microdistrict began. In addition to residential buildings, for the first time it was built: an ice palace, a modern swimming pool, an Extreme park. The house of children's creativity "Rainbow" is under construction. In honor of the Dmitrovite, Olympic champion Alina Makarenko, a square is being created. In the future, the Sports Complex will be expanded by adding another ice hockey rink and a center for figure skating and curling.

Dmitrov gets a new modern face. The city and the district are becoming the center of winter sports in the Moscow region.

By the 850th anniversary of the city (2004), a large-scale campaign was carried out to improve and develop the city. In 2005, Dmitrov took first place in the All-Russian competition "The most comfortable city in Russia" in the category "Up to 100 thousand inhabitants." October 30, 2008 Dmitrov was awarded the honorary title of the Russian Federation "City of Military Glory".



According to the climatic zoning of Russia, Dmitrov is located in the Atlantic-continental European (forest) region of the temperate climate zone.

Meteorological observation has been carried out by the Dmitrov meteorological station since 1897.


City symbols

On December 20, 1781, Dmitrov received a coat of arms designed by King of Arms Volkov. It was presented in the form of a shield, divided in half. The upper part depicts the emblem of the Moscow province of George the Victorious, striking a dragon with a spear, and in the lower part - 4 crowns on an ermine field in memory of the princely congress of 1301.

On March 16, 1883, another version of the coat of arms of Dmitrov was approved, developed by B. Köhne and existed until 1917. 4 crowns on the ermine field occupied the entire shield, the coat of arms of the province moved to the “free part” - the upper left corner. The shield is crowned with a silver tower crown with three teeth. Behind the shield are two golden hammers placed crosswise, connected by an Alexander ribbon.

On January 22, 1991, the coat of arms of 1781 was restored as the coat of arms of the district.



Stadiums: Avangard, Lokomotiv, Torpedo. Ice Palace, Extreme Park, Figure Skating and Curling Center, Dolphin and Breeze swimming pools, Olympic fitness center. In 2002-2009 in the city there was a hockey club "Dmitrov", which played in the VHL. Also, in the seasons 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2016/17, the youth team of the Dmitrov hockey club played in the city. Football club "Dmitrov" currently plays only in youth youth tournaments, in 2008-2009. played in the second division.

In the Ice Palace, the women's hockey club "Tornado" (Dmitrov), a nine-time champion of Russia, plays its home games. Six-time winner of silver medals. Three-time winner of the Challenge Cup. Four-time winner of the Czech Womens Cup. Four-time winner of the European Cup. Silver medalist of the European Champions Cup.

Dmitrov is the center of aeronautics, the city annually hosts competitions of hot-air balloons for the International Cup of the Governor of the Moscow Region, Russian championships were held. In 2004, the district administration ordered the Dmitrov-850 balloon, which has a volume of 4250 m³ and is the largest in Russia.



About 50 electric trains leave for Moscow daily from the Dmitrov railway station, of which about 15 arrive from Moscow and go to Dubna, 10 to Savelovo, 5 to Taldom, 4 each to Orudyevo and Kostino. In Dmitrov, the Moscow-Dubna express train stops, the Moscow-Rybinsk train does not stop.

The city has a bus station. There is a bus service with nearby settlements (Iksha, Yakhroma, Rogachevo, Orudyevo, Rybnoye, Larevo, Kostino, etc.) and with more distant ones: Moscow (Altufievo metro station, about 20 buses per day), Dubna, Sergiev Posad and Khotkovo, there are and intracity routes. Many of them are duplicated by fixed-route taxis.

The following large non-manufacturing enterprises operate in the city:
"Autocolumn No. 1784" branch of the State Unitary Enterprise MO "Mostransavto" (passenger transportation)
Mostootryad-90 branch of PJSC MOSTOTREST
OJSC "Dmitrovsky Avtodor"
LLC "Oblnerudprom"
LLC "TF" Five Stars "(Network of grocery stores)
LLC "Dmitrov-eco" (Waste removal, cleaning, repair)
ECO-ZHILKOM LLC (Utilization and recycling of waste)
LLC "Dmitrovteploservis" (boiler houses of the city and district)

Federal State Unitary Enterprise "Dmitrov Excavator Plant"
PJSC "Dmitrovsky Zavod MZHBK"
CJSC "Dmitrovsky Dairy Plant"
PJSC "Dmitrovsky knitwear"
LLC "Dmitrov flexible packaging plant"
CJSC "Dmitrov Woodworking Plant"
LLC "Dmitrovsky Plant of Milling Machines"
LLC "Dmitrovsky plant RTI" (v. Vnukovo
LLC "Dmitrovsky glass container plant" (village of Borisovo
Dmitrovsky Protein Plant LLC (Poddubki village)
LLC "Dmitrovskoe UPP" (an enterprise of the All-Russian Society of the Blind)
Alyumet LLC (Shelepino village)
Alfa-Siltek LLC
Döcke Extrusion LLC
OOO Zavod Severniy Kabel
LLC "Dmitrov - Cable"
OOO Zavod KvantKabel
ZAO Zelyonaya Dubrava
OOO Gofra-Dmitrov
Meat processing plant "Dymov"
Furniture factory "Ladya"