Gus-Zhelezny, Russia

Gus-Zhelezny (Iron) is an urban-type settlement in the Kasimovsky district of the Ryazan region, 20 kilometers northwest of the city of Kasimov.

The name "Gus-Zheleny" comes from the Gus River and the ironworks. In turn, the hydronym “Goose” was apparently originally of Meshchera origin, but later became Russified (compare Kistrus, Svinchus, Iberdus, etc.)



Among the attractions of Gus-Zhelezny:
Trinity Church, built in the first half of the 19th century in the pseudo-Gothic style, and the Batashev estate, built at the end of the 18th century.
The owner of the estate, Andrei Batashev, is also buried here. The grave and headstone have recently been restored.
On the northern outskirts of the village there is a natural monument of regional significance “White Forest” with small karst lakes Bolshaya and Malaya Klyuchnaya Yama.


How to get there

By bus
From Moscow, buses going to Kasimov pass through Gus-Zhelezny.

Bus station, st. Sovetskaya, 8.

By car
From Moscow along the P105 highway (Egoryevskoe highway), 250 km. There is asphalt everywhere, and almost everywhere there is one lane in one direction.



In 1758, the famous factory owners Batashevs bought land and set up an iron smelting and iron plant; a huge artificial lake was built for work at the plant. After establishing the plant, the Batashevs built a wooden church here in the name of the Holy Prophet John the Baptist in 1766; this church burned down in 1812. In 1802, construction began on a stone two-story temple; in 1825, after the death of the temple builder Andrei Batashev, work was suspended. By this time the main temple had been extended to the dome of the upper floor, and the refectory and bell tower to the cornice. The unfinished church remained in this form until 1847. Meanwhile, on the lower floor, all internal work was completed before 1825, three altars were installed in it and divine services were performed. In 1847, with funds from Batashev’s heirs and the factory workers, work was resumed to finish the upper floor of the temple and the bell tower. All work was finally completed and the temple was consecrated only in 1868. There are four altars in the church: on the upper floor in the name of the Life-Giving Trinity, on the lower floor in the name of the Nativity of Christ, St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and in the name of the holy apostles Peter and Paul.

The life of the brothers Andrei and Ivan Batashev was described in the novel by Andrei Pechersky “On the Mountains”, in the novel by Count Salias “The Vladimir Monomakhs” and not only).

Here is what a 19th century eyewitness recalls:
A massive house, the stone ruins surrounding it, a huge hundred-year-old park behind the house, surrounded by a high wall with towers stretching two miles in length, a nine-verst pond stretching out in front of the estate, along which sailing ships once sailed, a three-verst dam made of white stone, damming three rivers and holding back gigantic masses of water for a whole century without much harm to itself - all this cannot but evoke the titanic work of tens of thousands of hands that created all this in just two years. Incredible!
- Belokonsky I.P. Batashevs. // In the book: Village impressions. - St. Petersburg, 1900[

In accordance with the resolution of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee “On a new network of districts of the Moscow region” in 1935, the Belkovsky district was formed with its center in the village of Belkovo, 5 kilometers from Gus-Zhelezny (the road from Moscow to Kasimov passed there at that time). In 1937, the area became part of the newly created Ryazan region.

By 1940, Gus-Zhelezny became the center of the district. In 1959, the Belkovsky district was abolished, its territories became part of the Tumsky and Kasimovsky districts.

The status of an urban village has been since 1964.

The name of the village comes from the Gus River and the ironworks.



Currently, in Gus-Zhelezny there are housing and communal services enterprises, a timber processing plant, and a forestry enterprise.



The village also has a secondary school, a hospital, and a House of Culture, where three folk ensembles operate.