Izhevsk, Russia


Description of Izhevsk

Izhevsk is the 20th largest city in the Russian Federation, a large administrative, industrial, commercial, scientific, educational and cultural center of the Volga region and the Urals, the capital of the Udmurt Republic. Forms the urban district of the city of Izhevsk.

Izhevsk is famous defense and engineering industries. He bears the unofficial title of the “arms capital” of the Russian Federation, and the title of the city of labor glory. In 2010, Izhevsk won the 3rd place in the Rosstroy contest “The most comfortable city of Russia” in the I category.



The city was built up to the east of the large factory pond. On the south coast is the Izhmash plant, where nothing is visible from the city. On the eastern shore is the central square - a terraced rise from the pond, which overlooks the main city cultural buildings. The whole city is laid out with a square grid of streets, and built up with Khrushchev houses. Until the 1960s, there was little construction in this city, there were very few Stalinka, pre-war and pre-revolutionary houses. On the far northeastern outskirts is a car factory.


Getting in

By plane
Izhevsk Airport is the only airport in Udmurtia. The main and only operator of the airfield is the Izhavia airline, which has its office in Izhevsk, whose regular flights can be reached from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Perm and Ufa, on seasonal days from Kazan, Yekaterinburg, Sochi, Anapa, Baku, Yerevan.

1  Izhevsk Airport. ☎ (3412) 63-06-00.

By train
The main railway gate of Izhevsk is the Izhevsk station, which provides transportation of passengers and goods with other cities of Udmurtia and Russia. Also, there are two railway stations in the city - Zavodskaya and Pozim are located in the industrial areas of the city and serve freight trains.

2  Railway station st. Izhevsk, st. Friendship, 16.

By car
From Moscow, Vladimir, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Yelabuga and Perm along the European route E22 (in the part from Moscow to Yelabuga it coincides with the federal highway M7, in Yelabuga exit to P320 Izhevsk).

Also in Izhevsk, the regional highways P320, P321 and P322 converge, connecting the administrative center with the cities of the republic.

By bus
3  Central bus station, st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 134.
4 South bus station, st. Mayakovsky, 47


Getting around

Trams and trolleybuses run frequently by Russian standards and work well. They finish work early, closing flights leave at 21:00.

Tram - the city's tram network has 12 routes, three of which (No. 4, No. 8, No. 11) run only during peak hours. The fare is 27 rubles per trip.

Trolleybus - the city's trolleybus network has 10 routes. The fare is 27 rubles per trip.

The bus is the most passenger-intensive city transport. The bus network has 38 routes. The fare is 27 rubles per trip.

Shuttle taxi - 8 routes. The fare is 25 rubles per trip.

River tram - 1 route "Pristan Izhevsk - Volozhka". The intracity route operates in the summer on the Izhevsk pond. The pier from which the steamboats depart in Izhevsk is located on Deryabina passage, near the dam of the pond. During the journey to the Volozhka microdistrict, ships also stop at the Solovievskiye Dachi pier. The fare is 86 rubles per trip.

1 Pier Izhevsk.
2 Solovyovskie dachas.
3 Volozhka.
Taxi - The city has a well-developed network of taxis. Large selection of both economy class and business.

Bicycle - A network of bicycle paths is actively developing. Currently, there are paths along the embankment of the Izhevsk pond, along Pushkinskaya, Kirov and Lenin streets. However, there is no automatic bike rental, and the terrain in Izhevsk is hilly.



All the sights of Izhevsk and free mobile versions in English and Russian.


Church architecture

1 St. Michael's Cathedral (Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel), st. K. Marx, 222.
2 Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, st. M. Gorky, 66.
3  Temple of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, st. K. Marx, 220.
4 Intercession Old Believer Community of Izhevsk, st. 10 years of October, 36.
5  Armenian Church.
6  Church of Christians of the Evangelical Faith "Philadelphia", st. Labor, 19.
7 Mosque "Iman Nury", st. Petrov, 53.
8 Izhevsk Cathedral Mosque, st. Azina, 240 a.


Civil architecture

9 Embankment of the Izhevsk Pond named after the architect S. Dudin. You can go to the north of the pond, where the beach is, and trams run, but for some reason it is blocked in the middle by a fence in which there is a passage through a hole.
10  Central Square. An integral ensemble of the 1970s with a theater, a hotel and Vulykh towers, a pedestrian zone descending to the pond without crossing with cars. There are large playgrounds.
11 Tower of the Izhevsk plant. The tower, which is visible from the central embankment, and therefore it was shown in the Soviet newsreel.
12  Arsenal.


Natural objects

Izhevsk Pond.



13  Monument "Friendship of Peoples" (also used the name "Forever with Russia"). 1970s pole to create a postcard look
14  Monument to A.F. Deryabin.
15  Mikhailovskaya Column.
16  Monument to Izhevsk gunsmiths.
17  Izhik (mascot of Izhevsk)



1 State National Theater of the Udmurt Republic, st. M. Gorky, 73. ✉ ☎ (3412) 78-45-92.
2   State Russian Drama Theater of Udmurtia, st. M. Gorky, 71. ✉ ☎ (3412) 51-22-90.
3 State Puppet Theater of the Udmurt Republic, st. Lomonosov, 9. ✉ ☎ (3412) 68-09-89.
4 State Opera and Ballet Theater of the Udmurt Republic, st. Pushkinskaya, 221. (Under reconstruction)
5 Udmurt State Philharmonic, st. Pushkinskaya, 245. ✉ ☎ (3412) 43-22-29.
6 Theater Young Man, st. Student, 7. ✉ ☎ (3412) 58-67-48.



7 State Circus of Udmurtia, st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 136. ✉ ☎ (3412) 78-78-96.



8 National Museum of the Udmurt Republic. K. Gerda, st. Kommunarov, 287. ☎ (3412) 52-64-77. 10:00-18:00.
9 Museum and Exhibition Complex of Small Arms named after M. T. Kalashnikov (Kalashnikov Museum), st. Borodin, 19. ✉ ☎ (3412) 51-45-38.
10 Museum of Weapons Izhmash, st. Sverdlov, 32. ☎ (3412) 51-10-76. Mon-Fri 09:00-16:30.
11 Udmurt Museum of Fine Arts, st. Kirova, 128. ☎ (3412) 43-17-85, fax: (3412) 43-18-44. Tue, Wed, Fri 10:00-18:00; Thu 10:00-19:30; Sat 10:00-17:00.
12 Exhibition Center "Gallery", st. K. Marx, 244a (Entrance opposite the Rossiya cinema). ✉ ☎ +7 (3412) 57-03-47. 10:00-20:00 Monday closed. from 100 rub. Exhibition Center "Gallery" is one of the largest exhibition venues in the capital of Udmurtia. Opened in 1993 on the Central Square of Izhevsk. Currently, there are three exhibition halls working here at the same time.
The main goal of the "Gallery" is the organization of art projects designed to acquaint Izhevsk residents and guests of the city with different types and areas of fine art. The priority task is to support and promote the creativity of Udmurt artists. During the year, the Gallery organizes more than 30 exhibitions.

"Gallery" takes an active part in city and republican cultural projects. Today we are widely represented in the information field of the city and the republic. More than 70 thousand people visit us every year.

Museum of Izhevsk, st. Militsionnaya, 4 (on the territory of the Gorky Summer Garden). 10:00–18:00 except Mon.
Exhibition Hall "Pushkinsky", st. Pushkinskaya, 247. 10:00–20:00 except Mon.



State Zoological Park of Udmurtia, st. Kirova, 8. ✉ ☎ (3412) 59-60-61. Mon-Sat: winter 09:00-16:00; spring, autumn 09:00-19:00; summer 09:00-21:00.


Parks and gardens

Summer Garden ((M. Gorky Park)).
Park of Culture and Leisure. Kirov.
Cosmonauts Park, Votkinskoe sh., 118.
Birch Grove (Goat Park).



1 Talisman TRC, str. Kholmogorova, 11. ☎ (3412) 32-03-20. 10:00-22:00.
2 TRC "Stolitsa", str. Avtozavodskaya, 3a. ☎ (3412) 90-38-21. 10:00-21:00.
3 TRC "Petrovsky", str. Petrova, 29. ☎ (3412) 93-33-15. 10:00-22:00.
4  TC "Axion", str. K. Marksa, 191. ☎ (3412) 56-00-59. 09:00-21:00.
5 Aurora Park shopping center, str. Udmurtskaya, 304.
6 Flagman shopping center, str. Udmurtskaya, p. 255 ☎ (3412) 32-03-21. 10:00-22:00.
7  TC "City", str. Kholmogorova, 15. ☎ (3412) 93-39-03.
8  TSUM (Central Department Store), str. K. Marx, 244.



The location of the cafe is between the trolleybus terminus Center and the amusement park.

1  Mom's pancakes  , st. Gorky, 84. 9:00–22:00. Pancakes: 80-100 rubles. Typical provincial fast food offering pancakes with a variety of fillings, as well as a modest selection of heated soups and wrapped salads. Clean, neat.
McDonald's, st. 10 years of October, house 32v. ☎ +7 3412 655316; +7 3412 655317.
Bistro Russian pancakes, Kommunarov st., 281. ☎ +7 3412 782690.
Cafe Coffee-Seven, Krasnaya St., 133. ☎ +7 3412 780831. 10:00–23:00. Nice cheap cafe for breakfast.

Average cost
2  Pinta Pub, Wide Lane. 53 (corner of Pushkinskaya street) (Sigma shopping center). 12:00–24:00, Fri and Sat: until 2:00. Hot: 350-400 rubles, beer: 140-160 rubles per 0.5 l. A network of beer restaurants, strenuously (but unsuccessfully) imitating Czech flavor. On the other hand, you can eat here quickly, satisfyingly and not insanely expensive. There are several homemade beers on the menu.
Bistro U Nevsky, Gorkogo st., 68. ☎ +7 3412 782929. 11:00–23:00. Delicious food and karaoke.
Restaurant Kama, Gorkogo street, 72. ☎ +7 3412 781651. 12:00–24:00. Udmurt cuisine.
Cinema Cafe, Pushkinskaya st., 268. ☎ +7 3412 420000. 12:00–24:00. Good Japanese cuisine.

Reader's Pub, Pushkinskaya St., 223. ☎ +7 (3412) 91-25-64. Mon.-Fri., Sun. 12:00-1:00, Sat. 12:00-00:00. In a central hotel. Reviews are conflicting.

Coffee houses
✦  Literary coffee house "Cup". There are too few books on the shelves to choose the right reading for the evening, but there are notes and a pencil on every table. Cosy. The menu has a wide range of sweets (cakes, pancakes, waffles) and a variety of coffee, including brewed in Turkish with spices. There are also savory dishes. The coffee house is also proud of the largest cappuccino in the city, the volume of which reaches 500 ml, although, fortunately, there is also an opportunity to order a smaller portion.
3   st. Likhvintseva, 46 (next to the Government House). Mon–Fri 10:00–23:00, Sat–Sun 11:00–23:00.
4   st. Krasnogeroyskaya, 28. Mon–Fri 9:00–22:00, Sat–Sun 10:00–22:00.

Night life
1  Zazhigalka, st. Kommunarov, 236. ☎ (3412) 93-50-33. 20:00-08:00.



1 Izh-Hostel, Krasnaya street, 131 (near the Nevsky Cathedral). ☎ +7(982) 790-11-11. Clean, comfortable, central. edit
2 Like Hostel, per. Northern, 50. ☎ 8(800) 700-66-27. Reviews are contradictory.

Average cost
3  Hotel "Central", st. Pushkinska, 223. ☎ +7(3412) 43-30-90. Standard double room from 2800r.

4 Park Inn, st. Borodin, 25. ☎ +7(3412) 93-00-10.
5  Panorama. 3780 rub. A new large hotel on the embankment of Izhevsky Pond in a Stalinist building (former vocational school)



Fixed telephones in Izhevsk have six-digit numbers like +7 (3412) XX-XX-XX. Cellular operators providing services in Izhevsk:

Tele 2.



The name of the city comes from the name of the river Izh (udm. Oӵ), on the banks of which in 1760 the Izhevsk ironworks was built and a working settlement was founded. The origin of the hydronym remains debatable. Presumably, the topoformant ij (yzh) could be used in antiquity as an independent word for a water source. Formant is found in the names of geographical objects of the Udmurts, Komi-Permyaks and other nationalities (the rivers Varyzh, Izhma, Izh (a tributary of Pizhma), the villages of Izh and Izhevskoe). Officially, the settlement was called at various times as Izhevsk Plant (1760-1918), Izhevsk (1918-1984, 1987-present), Ustinov (1984-1987). Russian forms were also used in everyday life: Izh, Izhevo; Udmurt: Izh, Izhkar (from Udm. Izh and Udm. kar - “city on Izh”) Ozhzavod (“military factory”), Factory; Tatar: Izh, Izhau.


Physical and geographical characteristics

Geographical position

The city is located in the eastern part of the East European Plain, between the Vyatka and Kama rivers, on the non-navigable Izh River, the right tributary of the Kama River. The main body of water in the city is the Izhevsky Pond, created in the second half of the 18th century, with an area of 2,200 hectares.

Izhevsk is located at a distance of 1198 km from Moscow. Approximate distances between Izhevsk and the largest cities of the Volga Federal District: Perm - 279 km, Kazan - 390 km, Kirov - 426 km, Ufa - 341 km, Samara - 561 km, Ulyanovsk - 576 km, Nizhny Novgorod - 786 km, Saratov - 1026 km, Naberezhnye Chelny - 200 km.



Izhevsk is in the MSK+1 time zone. The offset of the applicable time from UTC is +4:00. In accordance with the applied time and geographic longitude, the average solar noon in Izhevsk occurs at 12:27.



The climate is temperate continental, with short warm summers and long cold winters. Average annual indicators: temperature - +3.0 °C, wind speed - 3.6 m/s, air humidity - 76%. The absolute minimum was noted during the period of abnormal frosts in the USSR on December 31, 1978. The absolute maximum was recorded in August 2021 — on August 21, the air temperature in Izhevsk was +38.1 °C. The warmest month is July - its average temperature over the long-term observation period is +18.9 °C. The coldest month is January with an average temperature of -12.4°C.

The temperature regime of Izhevsk differs significantly from the suburban area: the average temperature in the city is 0.6-0.8 °C higher. On warm days in the central part of the city, the air heats up by 1.5 ° C - 2.0 ° C, and sometimes 7.0 ° C more than in the suburbs, especially in areas with high-rise buildings. The greatest temperature difference is observed in calm weather, when the air stands still and the city is “not ventilated”, especially at night. The annual rainfall is approximately 508 mm. The largest number occurs in June - 62 mm, July - 58 mm and August - 67 mm, the smallest - in February - 21 mm, March - 22 mm and April - 26 mm. 56% of all precipitation falls in the form of rain, 23% in the form of snow and grains, and 21% are mixed precipitation (sleet, snow with rain). Southwest winds prevail in Izhevsk, there are few calm days. Hurricanes, storms and strong gusts of wind are quite rare phenomena.



The territory of Izhevsk is a hilly plain. The city is located on three watershed elevations, with a general slope to the south. Behind these elevations their names were established: Zareka, Gora, Vostochny settlement. The most elevated part of Izhevsk is the interfluve of the Karlutka and Chemoshurka rivers, where the Vostochny settlement is located - 208 meters above sea level.

The southern part of the city is low-lying, swampy in places. The lowest places in the city are the valleys of the Izha and Pozimi rivers, which are flooded during the flood period. The relief of Izhevsk, therefore, is generally flat in nature with slight slopes up to 3°, less often up to 5°.


History of Izhevsk

First settlements

The first settlements on the site of modern Izhevsk appeared in the 3rd-5th centuries AD. e. It is to that period that scientists attribute two fortified settlements, the remains of which were discovered on the banks of the river. Currently, not far from those places there is a sanatorium "Metallurg". The settlements belonged to the Mazunin culture and were typical of the early Middle Ages: their wooden buildings were protected by log walls, ramparts and ditches, as well as steep cliffs descending to the river.

The second well-known monument of archeology in Izhevsk, the Izhevsk burial ground, is located on Vshivaya Gorka - on the site where the Palace of Children's (Youth) Creativity and wooden houses now stand on Militsionnaya Street, at the confluence of the Podborenka River into the Izhevsk Pond. In 1957, a number of burials dating back to the 4th-5th centuries were discovered at this site by archaeologists led by V.F. Gening. Later, the burial ground was excavated by an expedition led by T.I. Ostanina.


Tatar period

Over time, the Izhevsk lands became part of the Kazan Khanate. In 1552, Russian troops stormed Kazan, as a result of which the Kazan Khanate ceased to exist. By 1558, the entry of the Udmurt region into the Russian state was completed. In 1582, the land in the lower reaches of the Izh was granted by Ivan the Terrible to the Tatar prince Bagish Yaushev. The owner Tatar Tersinsky volost appeared here. In 1733, the Yaushevs sold their Izhevsk possessions to the Russian diplomat of Tatar origin Alexei Ivanovich (Kutlu-Mukhammed Mameshevich) Tevkelev.



In the spring of 1734, in the Urals, near the right bank of the Kushva River, a mountain with large deposits of iron was discovered, later called Grace. For the extraction and processing of ore in its vicinity, state-owned factories were built: Kushvinsky, Verkhneturinsky, Baranchinsky and Serebryansky. The ore reserves were so great that the established enterprises could not cope with its processing. The question arose about the construction of additional production facilities, in connection with which, on September 15 (26), 1757, Count Pyotr Ivanovich Shuvalov, who owned the Goroblagodatsky factories, received permission from Empress Elizaveta Petrovna to build three more ironworks in the Kama region. For the construction of one of the factories, later called Kamsky, land was chosen near the Izh River (somewhat later, Tevkelev made a claim to it). On April 10 (21), 1760, under the leadership of engineer Alexei Stepanovich Moskvin, the construction of the Izhevsk plant and the settlement of the same name began here with the help of artisans brought from the Goroblagodatsky factories and peasants driven from the surrounding villages. Administratively, the village was part of the Khlynovsky district of the Kazan province.

By 1763, a dam was erected, and the Izhevsk pond was formed. Then the first iron (steel) was obtained. Izhevsk steel appeared by smelting iron, brought from the Goroblagodatsky factories. Its consumers were the Tula Arms Plant, St. Petersburg, Bryansk, Warsaw arsenals and the Black Sea Admiralty. Among the products of the plant were iron strips, bars and sheets, and later - anchors and gratings.

On November 15 (26), 1763, after the death of Shuvalov, Catherine II signed a decree on taking the Izhevsk plant to the treasury to pay off the Shuvalov family debt. The petition of General Tevkelev to the Empress for the return of the Izhevsk possessions to him remained unsatisfied.

In the summer of 1774, the Izhevsk plant was captured by Emelyan Pugachev. The rebels executed the factory bosses, looted and partially burned the factory. After the liberation of the village, production was partially restored, but due to the lack of large orders, difficult times came at the plant.

Since 1780, the village was part of the Sarapulsky district of the Vyatka governorate (since 1797 - the Vyatka province).



The threat of war with Napoleonic France looming over Russia at the beginning of the 19th century forced the Russian government to think about increasing the production of army firearms and bladed weapons. As a result, at the end of 1806, a decision was made to organize a new weapons production, and already on February 20 (March 4), 1807, Emperor Alexander I signed a decree, according to which he instructed Andrei Fedorovich Deryabin, manager of the Ural ironworks, including Kama, start the production of cold steel and firearms at the Izhevsk plant. The place for the new production was chosen by Deryabin himself, who took into account the raw material base available here (metal and wood), the ready-made pond needed to drive the water wheels that were part of the design of metalworking machines of that time, as well as the fact that the Kama region was remote from the western borders of the Russian Empire.

On June 10 (22), 1807, under the leadership of Deryabin, the Izhevsk Arms Plant was founded on the basis of an ironworks. To staff the plant with qualified personnel, Deryabin invited more than a hundred German, Swedish and Danish gunsmiths, as well as toolmakers, blacksmiths, turners and other craftsmen to the plant. In addition, in order to speed up the construction and development of production, more than a thousand artisans from other arms factories in Russia were transferred to the Izhevsk plant.

The development of the architectural plans of the plant, as well as the adjacent residential areas, was carried out by the architect Semyon Emelyanovich Dudin, invited by Deryabin. On the basis of the plant, workers and engineers were trained, a key role in which was played by specialists invited from Europe. In parallel with the weapons business, tool production was developing at the Izhevsk plant, on which the quality of production and labor productivity depended, and which was supposed to become an alternative in the absence of state orders for weapons.

On January 13 (25), 1808, Alexei Andreevich Arakcheev was appointed Minister of War. With his participation, tool production was practically closed, private workshops created on the initiative of Deryabin and supplying gun parts to the plant were banned, and cooperation with foreigners ceased. Deryabin was removed from the management of the plant, he was replaced by Arakcheev's henchman Wilhelm Yakovlevich Sheideman, who launched a fight against Deryabin's undertakings. On October 28 (November 9), 1808, the Izhevsk arms and ironworks were transferred from the Mining Department to the War Ministry.

The masters of the arms factory, having accumulated capital, founded their own business. In the second half of the 19th century, private commercial and industrial enterprises began to appear en masse in Izhevsk.

On October 9 (21), 1865, the plant was leased to the Association of Industrialists. By 1870, L. E. Nobel and P. A. Bilderling were involved in the lease. On July 1 (13), 1884, the plant was returned from lease to the treasury. In 1873, steel production was organized at the plant. In 1881, a new production was created - rolling. Since that time, the steel plant has become an independent enterprise. He supplied steel and semi-finished products not only to the arms factory, but also to many other enterprises in the country.

In 1885, in order to avoid a reduction in weapons production in peacetime and a decrease in its technical level, the Main Artillery Directorate, to which the plant was subordinate at that time, allowed the acceptance of orders for the manufacture of hunting weapons from private individuals. Thus began the production of civilian guns, which ceased in 1897 in connection with the development and mass production of the Mosin rifle.


Revolution and Civil War

On March 5 (18), 1917, the factory activists decided to transform the assembly of shop elders into the Soviet of Workers', Peasants' and Soldiers' Deputies, declaring it a "legislative body." On March 6 (19), 1917, the backbone of the future Council of 30 workers, 4 representatives of military units and 7 from the rest of the population of Izhevsk gathered. On March 7 (20), 1917, the shop elders finally resigned their powers, 160 deputies were elected, and a full-fledged Council of Workers' Deputies began to work. Since September 1917, the Bolsheviks began to control the previously multi-party Soviet. The newspaper Izvestia of the Izhevsk Soviet, which had previously been considered a "non-party democratic newspaper", became exclusively Bolshevik.

On October 27 (November 9), 1917, Soviet power was proclaimed in Izhevsk, and in November 1917 the first "Charter of the Izhevsk Council" was developed. On February 21, 1918, the Izhevsk Soviet of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies proclaimed the settlement of Izhevsk Plant a city. On May 28, 1918, the Bolsheviks dissolved the Soviet and on July 21, 1918, all the leaders of the former Soviet were arrested. On August 8, 1918, a massive anti-Bolshevik uprising began. After bloody battles on November 7, 1918, Izhevsk was taken by storm by the Red Army.

On April 7, 1919, Izhevsk was occupied by Kolchak's army. On April 9, 1919, the evacuation of part of the employees and workers, as well as the main equipment of the arms factory, began. On June 6, 1919, the last assault on the city by several divisions of the Red Army took place.


Soviet years

On June 10, 1921, the capital of the Votskaya Autonomous Region was transferred from the city of Glazov to Izhevsk. December 28, 1934 Izhevsk acquired the status of the capital of the UASSR.

The acquisition of the capital status, as well as the placement of large industrial enterprises in the city, led to its rapid development. In just 60 years, the population of Soviet Izhevsk has increased 10 times. The territory of the city began to actively build up and expand, absorbing neighboring settlements. So, only for the period from 1940 to 1988, 17 villages and towns entered the boundaries of the capital of Udmurtia.

The beginning of the 1930s became a turning point in the development of the city and the whole of Udmurtia. In 1930, the first conference of Udmurt writers was held in Izhevsk, the Udmurt State Philharmonic Society and the Theater and Art School were formed. In 1931, the Udmurt Pedagogical Institute (today the Udmurt State University), the Udmurt Institute of History, Language and Literature, the Udmurt State Drama Theater (today the State National Theater of the Udmurt Republic) were opened. On November 18, 1935, the opening of tram traffic took place in the city. The first route, 5 kilometers long, ran along Karl Marx Street from Vyatsky Lane to the Votkinskaya railway line. As a result of rapid development, by the end of 1935, Izhevsk became a major industrial center of the Urals.

In the fall of 1941, several defense enterprises were evacuated to Izhevsk. In June 1942, the Izhevsk Mechanical Plant was organized. The city-factory during the years of World War II produced 12,500,000 small arms. In 1943, a new stone building of the Izhevsk circus was built for 1811 seats, begun before the war. The building was the first domed building with metal structures in Udmurtia.

In 1948, the production of the Kalashnikov assault rifle "AK" began at the motorcycle plant. The first Russian motorcycle was assembled in Izhevsk in 1929, and in the summer of 2009 Izhevsk motorcyclists celebrated the 80th anniversary of the Izh motorcycle. On December 12, 1966, the first Izhevsk car rolled off the assembly line. By the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of December 11, 1978, Izhevsk was awarded the Order of the October Revolution. The award ceremony took place on September 7, 1979.

On December 27, 1984, at the initiative of the party authorities, Izhevsk was renamed Ustinov in memory of the USSR Minister of Defense Dmitry Ustinov, who had died 7 days earlier. Later, on June 19, 1987, after numerous protests from the townspeople, the city was returned to its former name, and one of the districts of Izhevsk was given the name of Ustinov.



In the 1990s, a discussion began in Izhevsk about the restoration of St. Michael's Cathedral. On February 11, 2000, a joint resolution was adopted by the Presidium of the State Council of the Udmurt Republic and the Government of the Udmurt Republic, which marked the beginning of its reconstruction. In May 2004, the foundation stone of the future cathedral of the consecrated cross was laid. On May 16, 2007, in celebration of the Easter holiday, Metropolitan Nikolai (Shkrumko) of Izhevsk and Udmurtia consecrated the lower church in honor of Faith, Hope, Love and their mother Sophia. On August 5, 2007, the main altar dedicated to Archangel Michael was consecrated by Patriarch Alexy II, who celebrated the first liturgy in the temple in the presence of the President of Udmurtia Alexander Volkov and other officials.

In September 2003, a new circus building was opened on the site of the one built in 1943. The first visitors to the circus were first-graders from all over the Udmurt Republic.

In 2008, Izhevsk became the main venue for the celebration of the 450th anniversary of the voluntary entry of Udmurtia into the Russian state. On September 3, 2010, the city celebrated its 250th anniversary. In the fall of 2010, a restored embankment was opened in Izhevsk, on the banks of the Izhevsk pond.

In November 2011, the legal entity municipality "City of Izhevsk" and its head A. A. Ushakov were awarded letters of thanks from the Ministry of Regional Development of the Russian Federation for their significant contribution to the development of housing and communal services and improving the livability of the municipality - a participant in the All-Russian competition for the title " The most comfortable urban (rural) settlement in Russia” for 2010.

On November 29, 2011, the head of the Udmurt Republic, Alexander Volkov, signed a decree conferring the title of "City of Labor Glory" on Izhevsk. The capital of Udmurtia became the first city of labor glory in Russia.

On October 8, 2015, Yury Alexandrovich Tyurin became the head of the municipality "City of Izhevsk", replacing Alexander Alexandrovich Ushakov at this post. The first issue of the meeting was the election of the Chairman of the City Duma, Oleg Garin was elected. On October 19, 2018, Oleg Nikolaevich Bekmemetyev became the head of the municipality "City of Izhevsk", replacing Yury Aleksandrovich Tyurin at this post.

In July 2020, Izhevsk was awarded the title City of Labor Valor.

On September 26, 2022, there was a massacre at School No. 88.


Local government

The municipal authorities of Izhevsk are represented by the city duma, the head and the administration of the municipality of the city of Izhevsk. The City Duma is the representative body of the municipality. Consists of 42 deputies elected by citizens in municipal elections for a term of 5 years.

The highest official of Izhevsk is the Head of the Municipal Formation "City of Izhevsk". He is elected by the City Duma from among the candidates presented by the competition commission based on the results of the competition. The head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" is elected by the City Duma by secret ballot by a majority of votes from the number of deputies established by this Charter no later than 15 days from the date of submission of candidates for the position of the Head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" to the City Duma. The head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" heads the City Administration and performs the powers of the Head of the City Administration. The procedure for holding a competition for the selection of candidates for the position of the Head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" is established by the decision of the City Duma. The procedure for conducting the competition should provide for the publication of the conditions of the competition, information about the date, time and place of its holding no later than 20 days before the day of the competition. A candidate for the position of the Head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" may be registered a citizen who, on the day of the competition, does not have, in accordance with the Federal Law of June 12, 2002 N 67-FZ "On Basic Guarantees of Electoral Rights and the Right to Participate in a Referendum of Citizens of the Russian Federation Federation” restrictions on passive suffrage for election as an elected official of local self-government. The total number of members of the competition committee in the municipality "City of Izhevsk" is established by the decision of the City Duma. When forming a competitive commission, half of the members of the commission are appointed by the City Duma, and the other half - by the Head of the Udmurt Republic. The City Duma for voting on candidates for the position of the Head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" is provided with at least two candidates registered by the competition commission. The term of office of the Head of the municipal formation "City of Izhevsk" is equal to the term of office of the City Duma.

From 2010 to October 2015, Alexander Alexandrovich Ushakov held the position of head of Izhevsk. By the decision of the first session of the City Duma of the city of Izhevsk of the sixth convocation on October 8, 2015, Yuri Tyurin was elected the Mayor of the city of Izhevsk, Oleg Garin was elected the Chairman of the City Duma. On October 18, 2018, Oleg Bekmemetyev was elected the mayor of Izhevsk. This decision was made at an extraordinary session by the deputies of the City Duma of the capital of Udmurtia.

The executive and administrative body of the municipal formation of the city of Izhevsk is the city administration. It is led by the head of the city administration on the principles of unity of command. The structure of the administration is approved by the city duma on the proposal of the head of administration.


City holidays

Izhevsk traditionally hosts the Day of the City, the festival "Wide Shrovetide", "Red Festival", "Festival of Flowers", Udmurt "Gerber", Tatar "Sabantuy" and other holidays. Every year more than 30 international and interregional cultural projects are implemented in the city. The largest of them are associated with the name of the great Russian composer P.I. Tchaikovsky.

In Izhevsk, in April-May, an all-Russian festival dedicated to the birthday of P. I. Tchaikovsky is held, as well as an all-Russian festival of arts "Zarni Pilem" ("Golden Cloud"). In 2012, the international competition for young musicians "Tchaikovsky's Motherland" was held. Izhevsk is hosting the International Finno-Ugric Festival of Youth Ethnoculture "PALEZYAN/Ryabina-fest". Since 2004, the "Red Festival" has been held annually on the territory of the Industrial District.

Since 2010, the international intercultural festival "Pariszhevsk" has been held, which is designed to reflect the idea of a cultural bridge between Russia and France. The festival was attended by musicians, cultural and art figures, representatives of business and public circles, masters of arts and crafts, culinary specialists from France and Switzerland; as well as creative teams and performers from the Volga-Ural region.

Since 2010, Art Parade has been held in Izhevsk, which has the status of a regional qualifying round for Seliger 2012 in various directions. In 2012, broadcasts and musical performances were organized in support of the participants from Russia of Eurovision 2012, which gathered more than 1,000 people. In 2013, the First Summer Festival "Fresh Air" was held in Izhevsk, aimed at holding cultural and sports leisure, as well as outdoor activities. Well-known representatives of Russian rock music took part in the festival.

In June 2012, Izhevsk hosted the Second Festival of Contemporary Culture "Open City", which consisted of six venues - the Central and Green Stages, the Jazz Playground, the playground for board games, the playground in the tent and the ecological one. In August 2012, the Second Izhevsk Music Festival "Theory of Relativity" was held on the embankment of the Izhevsk Reservoir.