Kasimov, Russia




Description of Kasimov

Kasimov (tat. Khankirman, until 1376 - City Meshchersky, until 1471 - Novy Nizovoy - New Low Base Town) - a city in Russia, the administrative center of Kasimov district of the Ryazan region, which forms part of the municipal formation of the district of the city Kasimov. Kasimov is located on the left bank of the Oka River. Population - 30 696 people. (2017).


Travel Destinations in Kasimov

In Kasimov, a number of remarkable monuments of secular and cult (both Orthodox and Muslim) architecture, organically inscribed in the buildings that had been formed in the 19th century, have been preserved.

The Uspensky ravine divides the historical center of Kasimov, located on the high right bank of the Oka, into two parts - the “Russian” (north-western) and the “Tatar” (south-eastern). The first of them is bounded from the northwest by another ravine, Nikolsky. The main part of the architectural monuments of this part of the city is located on Cathedral Square. The architectural ensemble of the square includes six architectural monuments of federal significance: the Church of the Annunciation (1740), the Assumption Church (1775), the Nastavins House (1813, the shooting of the film “Incognito from St. Petersburg” in Gogol's Auditor) and three buildings of Trading rows (1818-1824 years). In the center of the vast area occupied by the park, stands the Ascension Cathedral (mid XIX century). In the extreme southern part of the city, where the Epiphany Church stands (XVIII century), there was an ancient Gorodets-Meshersky ".

Interest in the city are the monuments of the Khan period: the Khan mosque (building XVIII — XIX centuries, minaret XV or XVI century), teky (tombs) of Shah Ali Khan (1555) and Afgan-Mohammed Sultan (1658), as well as the Epiphany, Nikolskaya, Troitskaya churches (XVIII century).


In 2015, Kasimov was included in the “Golden Ring of Russia” family of tourist routes.


History of Kasimov

The first population of this area was a Finnic tribe called the Meshchyora, later assimilated by Russians and Tatars. The town was founded in 1152 by the Vladimir-Suzdal ruler Yuri Dolgorukiy as Grodets, then Gorodets Meschyorsky (Городец Мещёрский). It was included in the Mishar Yurt division of the Golden Horde, but then was sold to Muscovy.

In 1376, the town was destroyed by the Mongol invaders, but was soon rebuilt as Novy Nizovoy (Новый Низовой). After the Battle of Suzdal in 1445 (in which Grand Duke Vasily II was taken prisoner), the Meschyora lands were given to Oluğ Möxämmäd, Khan of Kazan Khanate as a ransom for the sovereign's life.

In 1452, Great Duke Vasily II of the Grand Duchy of Moscow gave this town to Kazan prince Qasim Khan, who served as tribute inspector of the Great Horde, but then came to Russian service. By other accounts, Qasim and his brother Yosif fled from Kazan after losing their bid for the throne against their brother Mäxmüd. After 1471, the town was known as Qasím city. It remained the capital of Qasim Khanate until 1681 when the khanate was re-absorbed into Russia.

A group of Tatars settled there in 15th century and are now known as Qasim Tatars. They speak the Mishar dialect, mixed with the Middle Tatar dialect of the Tatar language. In the 19th century, it became known for its waiters, who staffed many of the St Petersburg hotels.


Intersting facts

In 1722, going on the Oka in the Persian campaign, Peter the First visited Kasimov for the second time. In the retinue of Peter the Great, there was a jester and wit, Ivan Balakirev, who came from an old noble family. He learned that the title of the ruler of the city was not occupied and asked the king for permission to be called Khan Kasimovski. The king agreed to this as a joke, so a “khan” reappeared in Kasimov. Initially, this title was formal, but after the death of Peter the Great, by decree of Catherine I, Balakirev received the right to own the former estates of the Kasimov kings, the rank of lieutenant of the Life Guards and the title of “Tsar Kasimov”. Ivan Balakirev died in Kasimov. His grave is located behind the altar of St. George (Epiphany) Church.
In September 1812, hospitals for the wounded and sick participants of the Battle of Borodino and the Patriotic War of 1812 were set up in the cities of Kasimov, Elatme, Melenki and in the surrounding villages. Especially large hospitals were deployed in Kasimov and Ryazan. The management of the hospitals was entrusted to a physician doctor, Dr. H. Loder. The wounded in carts were brought to Kolomna on ships and sent along the Oka River. According to H. Loder, for the period from September 14, 1812 to May 25, 1813, 30,126 patients and wounded were admitted to hospitals located in Kasimov, Elatmé and Melenki. During this time, 23,413 people returned to service; 2896 people were discharged for non-combatant service; 543 persons were recognized as disabled; 199 officers sent to home leave until perfect cure; 2095 people died



There are 8 local bus routes:
No. 1 st. Oktyabrskaya - Central Regional Hospital (Kasimov Central District Hospital)
No. 1a October - Prioksky
No. 1b October - Cheryomushki
No. 2 Lesok - Okruzhnaya
No. 2a Vostochnya - CRB
№ 3 Lesok - Prioksky
№ 4 50 years of the USSR - CRB
№ 5 50 years of the USSR - Prioksky
In the village of Kasimov, located on the right bank of the Oka River, about 7 km from the center of the city of Kasimov, the railway station Kasimov is the final station of a single-track non-electrified branch of the Moscow Railway. Here commuter trains run to Shilovo. The station can be reached by commuter buses to Lashma, Krutoyarsky, Telebukino and Erhatur. The city has a pier on the Oka, where cruise ships stop. Kasimov - part of the popular Moscow river cruise.