Image of Kolomenskoe

The white church in the center of the compound was erected in 1532 by prince Vasily to commemorate the birth of his first born son Ivan who later became known as Ivan the Terrible. A height of 62 meters and thickness of walls at 3- 4 meters it was designed to survive the attacks of the Mongol hordes that still harassed Russian settlements from the South. Yet its beauty and elegance was fit for the Russian tsars and emerging Russian Empire.

Location: Prospekt Andropova 39   Map

Tel. (499) 6155 2768

Subway: Kolomenskaya

Front gate Museum & Churches

Open: 10am- 5pm Tue- Sun

Grounds: Open: 10am- 8pm daily

Image of Cuman Chief Burial

Cuman Chief Burial

(11- 12 century)


Description of Kolomenskoye

The location of Kolomenskoye was inhabited long before Slavs moved here. In the 9th- 8th century BC the location was inhabited by Dyakovskaya culture, a Finno- Ugric group of people whose names are still preserved in the region Taldom, Yauza and possibly Moscow Rivers. According to local legends pagan temple was also located in the vicinity of the today's church. However the Dyakovskaya culture along with its cities was mysteriously abandoned. The reason for their demise is still unknown. Several tribes seemed to assimilate well with the coming Slavic tribes.


Among other natural and made sites located in Kolomenskoye a burial of a wealthy Cuman Chief should be noted. It dates back to the 11th - 12 century AD about the time then Cumans repeatedly harassed Russian cities. The chief probably was killed during one of these raids and a monument was erected over his last resting grave. It is called "baba" which means "father" in Turkic. Ironically in modern Russian the same word means "woman" probably due to confusion of the sex of these statues.


Palace of Tsar Alexi I



Golosov Ovrag (Creek of Voices)

Among many architectural remains that are clearly visible in Kolomenskoye you will find Golosov Ovrag. Boulders that are spread all over the location are said to be remains of the pagan temple. Belief that they can give sexual powers or increase fertility are still alive today. If you will see a naked person don't be surprised. He or she probably knows what he/she is doing. Or at least they think they do.

The Creek has a long trail of mysterious events.  According to the local legends people have been disappearing in the green fog and reappearing years later. The oldest recorded phenomenon happened in the 17th century AD then Russians caught several Tatars horsemen. They claimed they were soldiers of the Devlet Gerey who managed to capture and burn Moscow 50 years earlier. The weapons they had were obviously obsolete and no Tatar would ever dare to come anywhere close to Moscow at the time. Especially with such bizarre cover story.

Image of Golosov Ovrag (Creek of Voices)

Another interesting story dates back to 1812 then couple of peasants decided to take a shortcut through the creek. They emerged 21 years later. Both were as young as they were in 1812 that obviously surprised everyone. During police interrogation they claimed that while walking through the creek they saw a ray of light. Several hairy human like creatures stopped them and told them to go back. Police decided to check the truth fullness of their words and tried to walk through the creek alone at night. His friends on the other side waited for an hour. Despite their best attempts they did not find their friend. He disappeared.

Twentieth century did not end strange sightings. Several locals claimed they tall hairy humans emerge from a fog and then hide in the Golosov Ovrag again. Another story claims that in 1930's local policeman was attacked by a huge hairy creature that dwelled in the creek and decided to defend its territory. Regardless whether it is true or not staying in the park overnight to check the claims would not the be the best idea one can come up with.