Location: Moscow Oblast  Map


Hotels, motels and where to sleep


Description of Kolomna

Kolomna is an old medieval town situated 114 km (71 miles) from Moscow. It was constructed in 1177 at a strategic location of confluence of Moskva and Oka rivers. Kolomna, perhaps, like no other city, combines the most historic and modern looks in a great way: in addition to fairly large business, shopping, office and entertainment centers, you can meet the Kremlin, many beautiful temples and churches. In Russia, cities that are also saturated with sights and historical and cultural objects, like Kolomna, can be counted on one hand. A separate tourist attraction is that they are concentrated in harmonious ensembles. And taking into account the short travel time from Moscow, a visit to Kolomna is an obligatory point of the program for studying the cities of Central Russia.

Kolomna is one of the most ancient cities of the Moscow region. The first mention of the city is found in the Lavtriev Chronicle, which dates back to 1177. The city stands on three rivers: the Oka, Moscow and Kolomenka. The area of ​​the city is 65 km ², the population is 148 430 people (2010).


Travel Destinations in Kolomna

Kolomna Kremlin
1 Kolomna Kremlin, st. Lazhechnikova, d. 5. The Kolomna Kremlin is one of the main attractions not only of Kolomna, but, perhaps, of the entire Moscow region. It was built in 1525-1531 during the reign of Grand Duke Vasily III on the site of the Crimean Khan Mehmed I Girey, destroyed by a detachment. In the 17th century, due to the loss of military defense status (including due to the fact that the border of the Moscow state moved away from Kolomna), the maintenance of the Kremlin became unprofitable, and at that time it began to collapse and be dismantled by local residents for civilian buildings . Fortunately, by decree of Nicholas I in 1826, such a process was stopped, but a significant part of the Kremlin had already been destroyed. To this day, only one fortress wall with seven towers out of 17 has survived.
2 Cathedral Square.
3 Assumption Cathedral. The first temple on this site was founded in 1379 by Dmitry Donskoy on the occasion of the victory over the Horde troops in the battle on the Vozha River. The existing church was built in 1672-1682. A separate hipped bell tower was built in 1692 instead of the former white stone one.
4 Church of the Resurrection of the Word, st. Lazareva, 18. Founded in the XIV century, and the current temple was built in 1780-1789.
5 Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God (1776).
6 Novogolutvinsky Monastery, Lazarev Street, 9 (inside the Kremlin).
7 Assumption Brusensky Monastery, Sovetsky Lane, 3. An ancient monastery with a pseudo-Gothic fence from the 1820s. Its oldest building, the tented Assumption Church, was built in 1552 and restored in its original form in the 1970s. Now a functioning nunnery.
8 The Church of St. John the Theologian in the market stalls (1733-1758). The church in the style of mature classicism catches the eye thanks to the five-tiered bell tower crowned with a spire.
9  Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross , Lazareva street, 24a. The first stone church was erected in 1764 on the site of a wooden church. In 1832-1837 it was heavily rebuilt with only the plan of the first stone building preserved.

Bobrenev Monastery (Бобренев Монастырь)


Around town

10  Monument to the water carrier. A modern monument, opened in 2012, but popular with tourists. For a long time in Kolomna there was such a profession necessary for life - a water carrier. He carried water around the city; until 1902 - the year of the foundation of the water supply system in Kolomna at the expense of the philanthropist Maria Shevlyagina. After the construction of the water supply system, the profession was not in demand.
11 Church of St. John the Baptist on Gorodische. The church in the former episcopal village of Gorodishche is the oldest surviving building in the Moscow region. Its lower part is made of roughly hewn white stone blocks and dates back to the 14th century. The upper part of the temple in the 16th century was rebuilt from brick and smooth-hewn white stone. The bell tower and refectory appeared in 1780. The church acquired its present appearance after the restoration of the 1960s.
12. Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker on Posada, Posadskaya street, 18. The church was built in the style of Moscow patterns in 1716-1719 on the site of a church of the 16th century. The main subject of her pride is brick carving and 105 kokoshniks crowning the building. Belongs to the Old Believer Church.
13 “Voevoda” house (the house of the living room merchant I.I. Ushakov), Posadsky lane, 13. The house was built in 1701, a late example of Russian civil pre-Petrine architecture with preserved stone architraves.
14 Staro-Golutvinsky Monastery, st. Golutvinskaya, 11. The monastery was founded at the end of the 14th century at the confluence of the Oka and the Moscow River. The oldest buildings of the monastery date back to the 18th century, and the pseudo-Gothic towers of the fence appeared in the 1830s-1840s.
15  Trinity Church in Shchurov, Oktyabrskaya Street, 3. A pseudo-Byzantine-style church of the late 19th century.



1 Museum Pastila Factory, st. Polyanskaya, 4. The 19th century marshmallow factory has been restored.
2 "Kalacha" Museum, st. Zaitseva 14.
3 Kolomna Museum of Local Lore, st. Lazhechnikova, 15. ☎ 8 (496) 618-59-50. Wednesday - Sunday from 10:30 to 17:00 (ticket office until 16:30), except for the last Friday of the month.
4 Museum-Residence Artkommunalka, st. October Revolution, 205.
Lazhechnikov Museum



5 Motor ship line Bachmanovo - Prityka. Transport line up the Oka. Flight in the evening on Saturday and Sunday, round-trip, 4 hours, and you have time for the penultimate train to Moscow. Motor ship Moscow operates from the port of Kolomna. Kolomna residents use this flight as a pleasure one. In Prityk disembarkation for 30-40 minutes.
Speed skating center "Kolomna"
Aerosport (In particular skydiving)



First mention

The city of Kolomna was first mentioned under 1177 (6685) in the Laurentian Chronicle, known from the list of 1377, as a border post of the Ryazan Principality and a trade and craft center.

When, in the second quarter of the 12th century, Kievan Rus finally disintegrated and independent principalities and lands were formed, several rival principalities tried to gain a foothold on the territory of the modern Moscow region. To secure the lower reaches of the Moscow River and the adjacent course of the Oka, the Ryazan princes built the cities of Rostislavl (mentioned in 1153) and Kolomna.

1177 is a conditional date, since the city is mentioned as already existing. The things found during excavations, which are well dated, help to guess the exact date of the foundation of the city. It turned out that the most ancient city finds date back to the middle of the XII century, that is, the interval between 1140 and 1160. Thus, the city had already existed for about a quarter of a century before it entered the historical chronicle.

At the end of the 12th - 13th centuries, Kolomna was the center of the Kolomna principality as part of the Ryazan principality, only one Kolomna prince is mentioned in the sources: in 1186, Vsevolod the Big Nest took Kolomna and planted Vsevolod, the younger brother of the Ryazan prince, as prince there.

In the first days of January 1238, the brother of the Ryazan prince Roman Ingvarevich with the Vladimir army of Vsevolod Yurievich gave a fierce battle to the Mongols, in which Roman, the Vladimir governor Yeremey and the youngest son of Genghis Khan Kulkan were killed.

Accession to the Moscow principality
In 1301, Kolomna, which was Ryazan's inheritance, was captured by the Moscow prince Daniil Alexandrovich, who successfully intervened in the confrontation between the Ryazan princes. It was the first territory annexed to Moscow. A few years later, a new wooden Kremlin was built here, which was not inferior in area to Tver and the future Moscow Ivan Kalita. As a result, the city underwent a redevelopment. Already in the second quarter of the century, white-stone construction began: the Assumption Cathedral appeared (replaced by a new one in 1379-1382). Soon the Kolomna diocese was founded, an episcopal residence (the future village of Gorodishchi), Staro-Golutvin and Bobrenev monasteries were built near the city, which also received white-stone churches.

In 1340 Ivan Kalita bequeathed Kolomna to his son Simeon. In 1358 the city passed to Dmitry Ivanovich; during his reign, Kolomna became a significant trading center. The bishops of Kolomna enjoyed the favor of the Moscow princes. In 1385, Prince Oleg of Ryazan unexpectedly captured Kolomna. The city was returned to Moscow only a few years later, with the assistance of Sergius of Radonezh.


Mongol invasions

The city experienced many troubles from the Golden Horde and later Tatar states. Kolomna was repeatedly ruined in the XIII-XVI centuries. January 1, 1238 - by Batu Khan, in 1293 - by Tudan, in 1382 - by Tokhtamysh, in 1408 - by Edigei, in 1440 - by the Kazan Khan Ulu-Mukhammed. Once the city was burned by the Crimean troops in 1571 by Devlet I Gerai. The widespread opinion that in 1521 the city was burned down by the united Crimean-Kazan army under the command of Mehmed I Giray is the result of an error in the incorrect translation of chronicle information back in the 18th century, and then, without verification, replicated by subsequent researchers and writers. As the historian and local historian V.Yu. Kirichenko convincingly proved in his article “From the history of the Kolomna Kremlin: a new version of the reasons for the construction”, in 1521 the settlement of Kolomna was burned down. Moreover, this was done by the Kolomna garrison on the orders of the governor Prince Yuri Andreevich Khokholkov-Rostovsky. Professor, doctor of historical sciences Mazurov A. B. found confirmation in little-known chronicles - the wooden fortress of Kolomna was transferred to Kashira a few years later.

In 1380, Dmitry Donskoy gathered his army here before the Battle of Kulikovo.

Kolomna - the second capital of the Moscow principality
At the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries, Kolomna was the richest city in the Moscow principality after Moscow. “This city has become the true capital of a great reign, both crowded and noisy,” describes the historian N. M. Karamzin Kolomna in 1433. At that time, Vasily II, the Grand Duke of Moscow and Vladimir, lived in it, who received the title of Prince of Kolomna, exiled from Moscow as a result of the struggle for the Grand Duke's throne with his uncle, Prince Yury of Zvenigorod. Kolomna served as the center of the united forces that sympathized with the Grand Duke in his policy of "gathering Rus'." Many residents left Moscow, refusing to serve Prince Yuri, and went to Kolomna. The streets of Kolomna were crowded with carts, the city for some time turned into the capital of Muscovite Rus' with almost all the administrative, economic and political staff.

Epidemics and fires
Kolomna suffered not only from raids - it was devastated by epidemics (the most famous of them - the "pestilence" (plague) refers to 1363), fires (almost the entire city burned down in 1437), attacks by guardsmen (1568). Kolomna was a place of honorable exile. So in 1434, Prince Dmitry Shemyaka was exiled to Kolomna, subsequently Kolomna was determined as a place of exile for Novgorodians and Pskovians, which influenced the formation of the Kolomna merchants.


The construction of the stone Kremlin

In 1525-1531, a powerful stone Kremlin was built, after which the strategic importance of Kolomna increased (before that, the city had only fragile wooden fortifications). In addition to the construction of stone walls, walking towers were placed on the territory of the Kremlin, which were built into the wall in case of its destruction. After the construction of stone walls, the enemies never managed to take the Kolomna Kremlin by storm.

In the 16th century, Ivan the Terrible visited Kolomna more than once. The first time the young sovereign visited Kolomna, when he was not yet 16 years old. Having received news of the movement of the Crimean Tatars towards the Oka, the Grand Duke immediately went to Kolomna in April 1546. On May 6, he arrived here and settled down with his regiment near the Golutvin Monastery. These were the main forces of Moscow. When the Crimean Khan found out about the concentration of Russian troops near Kolomna, he turned back. But, as the chroniclers noted, Ivan Vasilievich did not leave Kolomna, he communicated with the peasants, tried to plow arable land, sow buckwheat. During the amusements, an unpleasant incident occurred with the young ruler: the Grand Duke refused to listen to the “complainers” who came to him from the Novgorod archers. In the conflict between the archers who did not want to leave and the noblemen who defended the prince, 5-6 people were killed on each side.

In July 1547, Ivan IV again, surrounded by a large army, moved to Kolomna. He fortified the city with his troops and began to prepare for a campaign against Kazan. The first two attempts were unsuccessful. The third campaign took place in June 1552. But then the Crimeans moved to Moscow. Turning his troops, the king hastened to return to Kolomna. On June 16, he was already here and ordered the governors to wait for news from the Crimea. But the Crimeans were defeated near Tula, and on July 1, Ivan Vasilyevich arranged a military council in Kolomna from the boyars and the governor. The Council approved the plan for the march on Kazan. On July 3, 1552, an army of 150,000, headed by Ivan the Terrible, moved to the banks of the Volga. This time Kazan was taken. In honor of the victory over Kazan, the Brusensky Monastery was founded in Kolomna, and in this monastery the Church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos was founded.

In 1565, after Tsar Ivan the Terrible divided the Russian state into oprichnina and zemshchina, the city became part of the latter.


Kolomna in the Time of Troubles

In 1606, a peasant war broke out under the leadership of Ivan Bolotnikov. The rebels on their way to Moscow approached Kolomna. In October 1606, they took the settlement by storm, but the Kremlin continued to stubbornly resist. Leaving a small part of his forces in Kolomna, Bolotnikov headed along the Kolomna road to Moscow. In the village of Troitskoye, Kolomna district, he managed to defeat government troops. Bolotnikov's army was located in the village of Kolomenskoye near Moscow. The siege of the capital began. In December 1606, Bolotnikov failed near Moscow and retreated to Kaluga. This served as a signal for the townspeople of Kolomna to crack down on the “rabble”. Bolotnikov's uprising was brutally suppressed.

During the Time of Troubles, Kolomna was repeatedly occupied by supporters of the impostor: first, Alexander Lisovsky (1608), but the city was recaptured by Shuisky's tsarist troops, nevertheless, the city soon passed to the impostor False Dmitry II. In 1611 the city swore allegiance to Prince Vladislav as the newly elected Russian Tsar Vladislav Zhigimontovich. In 1612, the city was occupied by the Cossack ataman Ivan Zarutsky, and the wife of the impostor Marina Mnishek tried to rule from Kolomna (the city was the last center she controlled). Based on the spectrum of urban legends about Marina Mnishek (her appearance varies from a martyr queen to an impostor-adventurer), Boris Pilnyak composed a legend: Marina Mnishek allegedly turned into a magpie and flew out of the Marina Tower of the Kolomna Kremlin, where she was allegedly imprisoned.

After the approval of the Romanovs, the city lost its political pretensions, turning into a major merchant and logistics center. This was facilitated not only by the role in the history of the Time of Troubles, but also by the rejection of the church reform of Patriarch Nikon in Kolomna. Bishop Pavel of Kolomna (one of the most revered holy martyrs in the Russian Old Believers) went into schism, which to some extent legalized the opponents of the reform and gave them the opportunity to ordain new priests.


Kolomna in the 18th and 19th centuries

From May 13 to May 17, 1722, on his way to Astrakhan, Peter I visited Kolomna. A year later, a theological seminary was founded in the city, and in 1730 the first coat of arms of Kolomna was published. The stay of Catherine II in the city dates back to 1775, and soon (in 1778) the architect M.F. Kazakov was sent to Kolomna to draw up the general plan of the city, which was approved on May 16, 1784. In 1781, Kolomna became a county town of the Moscow province. In 1862 it was connected by rail with Moscow, which was the impetus for the development of industry in Kolomna: 1863 became the year of foundation of the Kolomna locomotive and machine-building plants. The locomotive building plant was formed from workshops intended for the construction of a railway bridge across the Oka. In the same year, Kolomna acquired a zemstvo hospital; in 1864 a bridge across the Oka was opened, thus the railway communication was extended to Ryazan.


Industrial development in Kolomna

In the 17th century, commercial malting was widespread in the cities of the Moscow region, including Kolomna. People grew malt - a sprouted grain of cereals - and then used it in ground form to make kvass, beer or wine. At first, malt was used for household needs, but the situation changed with the advent of sovereign taverns. The premises in which the grain was germinated were called malt houses. Sometimes such malts were called "malts". As the demand for malt increased, so did the demand for bread. Malt producers in Moscow depended on imported bread and often did not receive it, because it was bought up by Kolomna merchants. Malt producers in Moscow even complained about the Kolomna producers and filed petitions in the Galich quarter. There were 25 malted omsha makers in Kolomna. Famous malt makers in Kolomna were Matvey Nasedkin, Ivan Shutin, Zhdan Kurchevsky, Mikhailo Plaksa. In Kolomna, the families of the Antonovs, Bechevins, Volkovs, Dutikovs, Zhitnikovs, Kurchevskys, Nabokovs, Naumovs, Neroslevs, and Shutovs were active in malting. They owned water transport, on which they carried bread, malt, fish, wax, cattle, honey, hemp, wool, and skins to large cities. One of the solodniks, Ivashka Nabokov, as of 1623, owned several trading shops.


Soviet period

The workers of the Kolomna factories took an active part in the general political strike of 1905. Soviet power in Kolomna was proclaimed on October 26 (November 8), 1917.

In 1918-1919, the Bolsheviks in Kolomna began to confiscate church property for military needs. Monasteries and the Assumption Cathedral were the first to be seized. In 1924, the first church was closed - All Saints in Bobrov. It was later demolished.

In 1929 the Assumption Cathedral was closed. In 1930, the temples of the Staro-Golutvin Monastery were closed. “So that the former churches do not remind of their original purpose, they were deprived of the main features of the temple - the bell tower and domes.” In the 1930s, the bell towers of the churches of Nikola on Posada, Nikola Gostiny, Nativity of Christ and others were destroyed. “The mass closure of city churches coincided with the peak of Stalinist repressions. Therefore, when churches were closed, their clergy were subject to arrest.”

During the years of Soviet power, as a result of socialist transformations, Kolomna turned into a major industrial, scientific and cultural center. In Kolomna, in addition to the above-mentioned factories, furniture and clothing factories, tire repair and rubber products factories, building materials and food industries successfully operated. In Kolomna, there is a diesel locomotive research institute (at the present time - the All-Russian Research Design and Technological Institute of Rolling Stock (OAO VNIKTI), the Institute of Land Reclamation and Irrigation Technology, a Pedagogical Institute, engineering and agricultural technical schools, medical and music schools.

“By the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, only two functioning churches remained in the city - the Epiphany in Goncharnaya Sloboda and the Peter and Paul Cemetery. The latter closed in 1943."

In November 1941, there was a threat of Kolomna being captured by German troops during an attack on Moscow from the south, but they were stopped two to three dozen kilometers from the city. A defensive line and 50 kilometers of forest debris were built around the city, barricades were built in the city and armored caps were installed. During the Great Patriotic War, Kolomna became the center for the formation of artillery units and formations. In addition, rifle formations, 4 detachments of the people's militia (over 2000 people), a fighter worker battalion (569 people), a special NKVD sabotage group (17 people), 2 partisan detachments of 100 people each were created in the city and its environs. On the railway network of the Moscow region, 2 Kolomna armored trains were fighting, which were built at the Golutvin locomotive depot and the machine-building plant and were staffed by workers from this plant. All enterprises of Kolomna, which had machine tools, launched the production of defense products: the Shchurovsky cement plant made concrete slabs for pillboxes and bunkers, behind the plant. Voroshilov, repair artillery workshops were created, an assembly shop was built there to assemble Lend-Lease vehicles (about 45,000 units were assembled), anti-tank guns and radar installations were manufactured at the Bochman plant, and fuses for shells for various types were manufactured at the Kolomna Gramophone Plant. guns and air bombs, small enterprises produced items of military ammunition and parts for various types of weapons, including Katyushas.

On April 11, 1942, the Special Design Bureau for smooth-bore artillery of the People's Commissariat of Arms was established by the Decree of the USSR State Defense Committee. Boris Ivanovich Shavyrin, the creator of a number of mortar and other types of weapons, was appointed head of the Special Design Bureau.

More than 21,000 Kolomna residents fought in the ranks of the Red Army, in the fleets, in aviation, in fighter battalions and detachments of the people's militia. Many of them received high awards, and more than 30 soldiers were awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. In the battles for the honor, freedom and independence of our Motherland, 11,975 Kolomna residents fell at the front, died of wounds and died in captivity.

In the restoration and development of industry, construction and culture. Kolomna has achieved great success. All industrial enterprises of the city were restored and resumed their work. In the spring of 1948, the Kolomzavod park was laid, which was called the Peace Park. Thousands of trees and shrubs of various species are planted on an area of 30 hectares. The park is a recreation area for many residents.

On November 5, 1948, the first launch of a tram along the Kolomna-Golutvin line with a length of 5 km took place. Today, the tram is the main mode of transport, runs on 10 routes and transports about 100,000 passengers a day.

In 1953, the first 100 apartments were supplied with gas in Kolomna, 5 km of an underground gas pipeline were laid. At present, the city is mainly supplied with gas. In addition to residential buildings, many industrial and household enterprises have received an environmentally friendly type of fuel. Kolomna annually consumes about 400 million m³ of gas.

On October 1, 1959, the first electric train came to Kolomna from Moscow, replacing steam locomotive traction.

Since the 60s of the XX century, Kolomna has become a new building city. Since 1961, the construction of multi-storey large-panel residential buildings has begun in the city from the commissioned Kolomna house-building plant. The step of construction of residential buildings was 40-50 thousand m² of housing. In addition to housing, social and cultural facilities were built in the city. A new complex of buildings for an agricultural technical school, a music school, a palace of culture and sports with an artificial ice track, cinemas "Vostok", "Horizont", "Rus" and many other objects appeared.

On July 4, 1977, Kolomna was awarded the Order of the October Revolution - according to the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, for the great successes achieved by the working people of the city in economic and cultural construction, noting merits in the revolutionary movement and in connection with the 800th anniversary of its founding.


Modern Kolomna

Today Kolomna is one of the largest industrial and scientific centers of the Moscow Region. The most important enterprises are the Design Bureau of Mechanical Engineering (KBM), the Kolomna Diesel Locomotive Plant (production of diesel engines, wheel sets, main diesel locomotives, experimental production of electric locomotives); There are also factories for heavy machine-tool building and textile machine building. Cement (owned by the Swiss company HOLCIM), tire repair, rubber, rope and reinforced concrete plants, aerated concrete block production plant, house-building plant, clothing factory. In 2002 in the village. Raduzhny, Kolomna urban district, the ADL production complex was opened, which develops, manufactures and supplies equipment for engineering systems for the housing and communal services and construction sectors. Food industry (experimental meat processing plant, confectionery factory). Printing house.

Education in Kolomna is represented by the Kolomna Institute (branch) of the Moscow Polytechnic University, the State Social and Humanitarian University (formerly MGOSGI), a branch of the Moscow Academy of Economics and Law, the Institute for Retraining and Advanced Training of Managers and Specialists of the Ministry of Agriculture of Russia, the Theological Seminary, medical and music schools , engineering and agricultural colleges, polytechnic college.

In Kolomna there is a diesel locomotive research institute (JSC VNIKTI), a research institute of mechanization and irrigation technology.



How to get there

By plane
Closest to Kolomna is the Moscow Aviation Hub. There is a direct bus to Domodedovo (a little more than an hour and a half on the way), Vnukovo and Sheremetyevo are farther and you need to get from them via Moscow.

By train
From the Kazan station of Moscow on the trains, which run from 5 am to midnight, about 20 pairs a day, 2-2.5 hours on the way. In addition, 3 express trains REKS (on the way two hours) and 3 express trains Moscow - Ryazan (a little more than one and a half hours) depart to Kolomna per day. Towards Ryazan several pairs a day.

The city has two railway stations:
1 Platform Kolomna. Closer to the historical center, as well as to Moscow.
2 Station Golutvin, pl. Uprising. Further from the center, but Ryazan express trains stop only here, as well as the train Golutvin - Ryazan.

By car
A hundred kilometers from Moscow by the M5 Ural autorassus From Ryazan - 90 kilometers.

By bus
From Moscow (7 Kotelniki) to Kolomna is the route number 460. Buses depart on average every 40 minutes, travel time - 1 hour 40 minutes, cost 250 rubles (2016). The buses themselves on this route are among the most comfortable in Russia. There is a bus service to Ryazan, Zaraysk, Yegoryevsk and a number of other cities.

3 Bus station Golutvin (near the station Golutvin).
4 Bus station "Old Kolomna". The second bus station for suburban routes.

On the ship
1-2 times for navigation there are stops at Oksky cruise ships.



The main transport of the city. The most frequent routes - 2 and 4, go eight in opposite directions.

In Kolomna, there is the possibility of renting a bicycle (or somehow have your own). Given that the historical center is compact, this opportunity can be used to get around the city.



Kolomenskaya pastila , Posadskaya street, 13A. 10:00-20:00. A place where you can not only try and buy the famous marshmallow, but also there is a museum of the same name.



In the Kremlin and nearby
Cafe Knyazhich.
Cafe "Yar".
1 Cafe "Pogrebok", st. Lazhechnikova, 18. Mon–Sun 11:00–22:00. Russian cuisine, reviews are polar.
2 Cafe "Lazhechnikov", st. Lazhechnikova, 13. Mon–Sun 10:00–20:00. Small cafe with Russian cuisine. The modest menu highlights breakfast and lunch, and offers coffee to go. Portions are small, prices are close to Moscow, payment by card is possible.
3  Art-cafe Nameki, st. Lazhechnikova, 5. Mon–Sun 12:00–24:00. An expensive, but original way to solve the problem of satisfying hunger. The menu is quite creative and it will take a moderate amount of mental effort to guess what exactly will be brought to you. However, the answers to the rebus are given in the same menu. Author's cuisine, good service.
4 Sofi Restaurant, st. Zaitseva, 54. Mon–Sun 11:00–24:00. 1500-2000 rub. Expensive restaurant with Russian, European and Caucasian cuisine. There is a business lunch and "coffee to go". Free Wi-Fi, credit card payment accepted.
5 Cafe "Not just", st. Pushkina, 6. Wed–Sun 12:00–19:00. Vegetarian menu. Prices are average, reviews are enthusiastic.

6  Dumplings.
Average cost
Cafe "Sarmat".

Coffee houses

Fast food
Burger King.


Hotels, motels and where to sleep

1 Hostel Pastila, Partizan street, 42B. ✉ ☎ +7 (925) 411-35-45. around the clock. from 700 ₽ / 1 night. WiFi.

Average cost
2  Hotel Sovetskaya, Prospekt Kirov, 1. ✉ ☎ +7 (496) 612-12-29, +7 (915) 301-90-66, +7 (925) 346-41-90. around the clock. from 2 100 ₽ / 1 night. Municipal hotel. WiFi. Public parking in front of the building.

3  Hotel Kolomna, Sovetskaya Square, 2. ☎ +7 (4966) 12-18-96 6, +7 (4966) 12-34-60. around the clock. from 3 400 ₽ / 1 night. Wi-Fi, parking.
4 40th meridian Arbat, Vodovozny lane, 12. ✉ ☎ +7 (495) 225 60 78, +7 (496) 616 52 40, +7 (915) 491 16 61. from 4 000 ₽ / 1 night.

Branded sales and service salon Megafon, pl. Vosstaniya, 7 (TC "Kado", 1st floor). Mon-Sun 10:00-20:00.


Physical and geographical characteristics

Geographical position

Kolomna is located in the center of the European part of Russia, in the expanses of the Moskvoretsko-Oka Plain. The city is located at the confluence of the Moscow River with the Oka, approximately halfway between Moscow and Ryazan. The distance from Moscow to Kolomna is 111 km by road and 105 km by rail. The area of the city is 6712 hectares, it coincides with the area of the urban district. Several rivers flow through the city, the largest of which are the Oka, Moscow and Kolomenka.



According to the climatic zoning of Russia, Kolomna is located in the Atlantic-continental European (forest) region of the temperate climate zone. Severe frosts and scorching heat are quite rare here. The coldest month of the year is January (average temperature is -7.1°C), and the warmest is July (average temperature +19.7°C). During the summer, thunderstorms are quite frequent. The absolute minimum temperature in Kolomna for the period of observations since 1960 was observed during the ultrapolar invasion on December 31, 1978: -40.8 ° C, the absolute maximum, due to the geographical location in the southeast of the region and the low altitude of the NLM, is the highest in the Moscow region : +39.7°C. The duration of the frost-free period is about 140 days. The absolute annual temperature difference is 80.5 degrees. Kolomna has the absolute maximum temperature in the Moscow region.

The World Meteorological Organization has decided that it is necessary to calculate two climate normals: the climatological standard and the reference one. The climatological standard normal is updated every ten years, and the reference normal covers the period from 1961 to 1990.



In Kolomna, there is a movement “No to the Kolomna Dump”, which, by the standards of the city, gathers a huge number of participants. It began with the increase and expansion of the landfill in Volovichi (a landfill near the village of the same name, adjacent to the city). The movement was created to eliminate the landfill that began to fill the city since the summer of 2017. The population was extremely dissatisfied and on February 11, 2018, they went to the rally. The participants of this movement are collecting signatures for a petition, where they demand that the authorities solve their landfill problem, otherwise they will use maximum efforts to change the governor's power. Nevertheless, members of the movement are summoned to the police, and the homes of at least eight members are searched by the FSB. Movement member Ivan Zhuravlev and public figure Dmitry Gudkov believe that the searches are being carried out in connection with a case filed against Vyacheslav Yegorov, the organizer of protests against a landfill in the village of Volovichi, presumably under an article on repeated violation of the rules for holding rallies (“Dadinskaya” article 212.1 of the Criminal Code) . Yegorov himself spent 48 hours in the isolation ward of the Kolomna police department.

After the events in Volokolamsk, the governor of the Moscow region decided to increase the landfill in Volovichi by about 5 times.



Coat of arms
The heraldic description of the coat of arms of Kolomna reads: “In an azure field on a green hill, thinly bordered with gold, there is a silver column crowned with a golden crown, accompanied on the sides by two golden six-ray stars (two rays up).”

The flag of Kolomna was approved by the decision of the Council of Deputies of the city of Kolomna dated 07.08.2002 No. 31/9. The flag is a rectangular panel with a ratio of width to length of 2:3, red with a double-sided image in the upper corner closest to the flagpole of the main elements of the coat of arms of the city of Kolomna - a column crowned with a golden crown, with two golden six-ray stars on the sides in an azure field.



The city of Kolomna, like the entire Moscow region, is located in the time zone, designated by the international standard as the Moscow Time Zone (MSK). The offset from UTC is +3:00.



The origin of the name has several scientific and folk etymological versions:

Scientific versions:
From the Slavic word "koloma", meaning - wheel (related - rattletrap, wheeled cart). There are also cities, towns and villages with similar names - Kolomyia, Koloma, Kolomye and so on. Presumably, it was originally the place of residence of wheel makers, possibly wheels for a water mill (an outdated expression is mill stakes, wooden wheels that set the mill mechanism in motion).
Kolomna - near me (near me - trading place, market). This version is supported by the fact that in the Russian Empire there were about 17 Kolomena, in different parts of the country. Some Kolomnas have survived to this day, such as Kolomna in St. Petersburg.
V. A. Nikonov, the author of the Brief Toponymic Dictionary, expressed the opinion that the name of the city came from the Finno-Ugric word kalma, meaning grave, cemetery.
Initially, the name of the river (marked as a hydronym in a number of other regions of Rus') is related to the Ukrainian Kolomyia and Polsk. kołomyje ‛deep ruts; potholes filled with water. The final part - I am explained as a hypercorrect transformation * Kolomya > * Kolomya > * Kolomya.
The prevalence of the hydronym in the western regions allows for a Baltic origin. V. N. Toporov cites a number of Baltic parallels that make it possible to compare the basis of the name with lit. kalmas "calamus", kalmyne "thickets of calamus", Prussian. kalmus "stick, cane". The etymology of the name Kolomna "river with calamus thickets" is quite realistic and is confirmed by a number of other hydronyms of the Moscow region, formed from the names of aquatic vegetation.
E. M. Murzaev reports on a version that suggests the Polovtsian origin of the name - from “kolloma” (protection), since Kolomna, located at the confluence of the Moscow River with the Oka, being a fortress city, blocked the road to Russian lands in the north.
Dal V. I. derived the name from the Ryazan words kolomen, kolomenye, meaning outskirts, neighborhood, neighborhood, “why the name of the city of Kolomna is the outskirts of Moscow.” According to M. Vasmer, from dial. column "neighborhood" (from kolo; cf. Polish okolica - neighborhood).
The historian and local historian V. Yu. Kirichenko, on the basis of the Slavonic Russian Lexicon written in the Commonwealth of Pamva Berynda, edition of 1653, deduced the origin from the South Slavic word "kolmi". On page 65 of the Lexicon, it is interpreted as "far away," that is, very far from something. Kolomna in 1177 was the farthest fortress to the north-north-west of Ryazan. And the borders of the Chernigov Principality reached the banks of the Oka and Moscow rivers. Hence the name Kolomna is translated as "distant city".



Local government
On November 3, 2016, at a meeting of the Council of Deputies of Kolomna, Lebedev Denis Yuryevich was elected the head of the city district, and the former head of the city, Valery Ivanovich Shuvalov, left his post.



Kolomna is a large industrial center of the Moscow region. More than 2200 enterprises and organizations of various forms of ownership are registered in the city. Over 53,000 people work in the economic sector, or approximately 36% of the total population of the city (according to the State Statistics Committee of Russia for 2003). The enterprises of the city produce diesel engines, main diesel locomotives TEP70 (Kolomensky Diesel Locomotive Plant named after V.V. Kuibyshev), metal-cutting and woodworking machines, prefabricated reinforced concrete structures and parts (Kolomensky Heavy Machine Tool Plant (ZAO KZTS), cement (Shchurovsky Cement Plant, now owned by HOLCIM), EL-BLOCK aerated concrete blocks (Elgad-ZSI LLC), ropes (Kanat OJSC), facade paints (Kolomenskiye Kraski LLC, Polifan-L LLC), agricultural machinery (Kolnag LLC) , production of flux-cored wire for metallurgy (LLC "Affival Vostok"), Design Bureau of Mechanical Engineering. "Design Bureau of Mechanical Engineering", created in 1942 to develop mortar weapons, since 1956 switched to the production of missile systems.

The needs of the city's population in food and industrial goods are satisfied by Kolomnakhlebprom OJSC, Kolomensky Khladokombinat OJSC, Kolomchanochka OJSC (pasta and confectionery products), Kolomensky Beekeeping Plant CJSC, confectionery production of the Moscow Krasny Oktyabr factory, and also JSC "Mebelshchik" (cabinet furniture) and the garment factory of the company "Valeriya".

The volume of shipped goods of own production, performed works and services on its own in manufacturing in 2010 - 16.4 billion rubles.

4.7 thousand people are employed in the consumer market, there are more than 500 trading enterprises (trading networks: CJSC Prodtovary, Dixy, etc.), more than 60 public catering enterprises, and more than 600 small retail chains and 5 markets.

The banking system of Kolomna includes several representative offices of banks. The most extensive network has the Central Russian Bank of the Savings Bank of Russia. In addition, the Bank of Moscow, VTB 24, Vozrozhdenie, Rossiysky Kapital and others have their representative offices and branches in Kolomna.

In recent years, active construction of modern commercial real estate objects has been observed in Kolomna. In particular, the Rio shopping center, the Kado shopping center, the 40th Meridian Arbat floating hotel, the Admiralsky business center and other facilities were recently built in the city.


Science and education

Kolomna is one of the largest scientific and technical centers of the Moscow region. In Kolomna, there is a research diesel locomotive institute, an institute for melioration and irrigation technology, and military-industrial complex enterprises operate. There are more than thirty general education and special schools, engineering and agricultural technical schools, medical and music schools in the city. Higher education in the city is provided at the Moscow State Regional Social and Humanitarian Institute, the Kolomna Institute (branch) of the Moscow Polytechnic University, a branch of the Moscow Academy of Economics and Law, etc.



Representatives of several confessions (Orthodoxy, Islam and others) live in Kolomna. First of all, the city is known for its Orthodox history. The Muslim community is the second largest in the city. The rest of the denominations are few in number.

In the middle of the XIV century, the Kolomna diocese was established, which existed until 1799, when a significant part of the diocese was transferred to Tula. At present, the Kolomna deanery is one of the largest in the Moscow diocese.

In Kolomna there is one of the two cathedrals (Assumption Cathedral of Kolomna) of the Metropolitan of Krutitsy and Kolomna, who, by virtue of his position, is a permanent member of the Holy Synod and, according to the Charter of the Russian Orthodox Church, as a patriarchal governor, helps the Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus' in managing the Moscow diocese in the rights of a diocesan bishop.

Church of St. Nicholas in Posada in the early 1990s was transferred to the community of the Russian Orthodox Old Believer Church.

The Muslim community of Kolomna has about three thousand people. The head of the Muslim community is Ravil Gaynutdin. A mosque was built in the city on October Revolution Street.



There are many sports facilities in the city:
stadiums "Avangard", "Trud", "Start" and "Cementnik";
skating center of the Moscow region "Kolomna";
rowing channel and much more.

The most famous athletes of Kolomna are skaters Valery Muratov, Dmitry Dorofeev, Ekaterina Lobysheva, and judoka Evgeny Pechurov.

Pupils of Kolomna sports schools have achieved success in many sports: speed skating, football, rowing, chess, volleyball, hockey, judo and sambo, boxing and many others.

The football school in Kolomna is one of the oldest in Russia. Currently, football Kolomna is represented by the only club FC Kolomna, which plays in the Second Division of the Russian Football Championship. The football club was established on March 5, 1997 by merging two city teams Avangard (founded in 1906) and FC Oka (founded in 1923). Of the well-known students of Kolomna football, the goalkeeper of FC Tom (Tomsk) Alexei Botviniev can be noted. Kolomna has a football freestyle team TFF AIRpro and Freestyle Sport.

On May 1, 2011, a new football club, STARS, was presented in Kolomna, at the presentation of which there were guests of honor: football players of PFC CSKA and the Russian national team Igor Akinfeev, Vasily and Alexei Berezutsky. Already in the debut season in the history of the club, FC STARS achieved serious sporting success: the team took second place in the championship of the Moscow region, won the zonal tournament of cosmonaut A. A. Volkov, and in the winter tournament in memory of V. I. Gulyaev, confidently taking first place in qualifying group, won the right to play in the ¼ finals of the prestigious tournament.

The Kolomna skating school is one of the oldest in Russia, which has brought up many winners of competitions at various levels - from city championships to multiple Olympic champions. In 2006, the reconstruction of the Kolomna skating center was completed, as a result of which the largest skating complex in Russia appeared in the city, which hosted the European Championship in 2008. In 2007, 2009 and 2012 the World Cup was held in the center. In 2020, the Russian Speed Skating Championship was held.

The city has an Olympic reserve school for rowing. Classes are held on the rowing canal on the Oka River. Rowing and sailing competitions are regularly held.

Chess school
The Kolomna chess school opened in 1906 and is one of the oldest in Russia. More than a dozen FIDE Masters and Candidates for FIDE Masters are students of the club. Every year the club participates in more than 50 competitions, where representatives of the Kolomna Chess Club regularly win prizes.

In Kolomna there is a specialized children's and youth sports school of the Olympic reserve "Avangard", which is already over 50 years old. The boxing department of this school traces its history from the sports section of boxing. Athletes-boxers regularly participate in local and all-Russian competitions, take prizes in them.

In recent years, this dynamic and modern sport has become popular again. In many sports schools of the city, departments of men's basketball were opened. And in the children's sports school of the Olympic reserve "Avangard" since 2004, women's basketball has been revived. In addition, it was on its basis that the city's men's basketball team (BC Kolomna) was formed.