Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

 

Feel free to leave your comments below. If you want to share your knowledge, additional information or experience in a particular place your input is more than welcome.

 

Theophany Convent, Bogoyavlensky Convent, Epiphany- Anastasia Monastery (Богоявленско- Анастасиин Монастырь) (Kostroma)

Theophany Convent, Bogoyavlensky Convent, Epiphany- Anastasia Monastery

 

 

 

 

Location: Ulitsa (Street) Simanovsky

 

 

 

 

 

Transportation

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

Interesting information and useful tips

 

 

 

Description of the Bogoyavlensky Convent of Epiphany

1 Prosveshcheniya ul., ☎ +7 4942 57-25-89. 09:00–17:00, services daily at 08:00 and 17:00. A huge and important monastery (est. 1330), which contains the Museum of Wooden Architecture, the Bogoroditsky Cathedral (est. 1552), and the Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church (which was made without a single nail). 50 RUR.

 

Bogoyavlensky Convent of Epiphany- Anastasia Monastery was found in the early 15th century by Nikita, a relative and a disciple of famous Russian Saint Sergius of Radonezh. Reverend Nikita served as a rector of Serpukhov Vysotsky and Borowski Vysoko- Pokrovsky Monastery, but left it to look for solitude in the wilderness, just like famous spiritual teacher. Original buildings were constructed entirely from wood. In the 16th century local prince added wooden towers and walls to protect close approaches of Kostroma. Additionally the monaster was united with the women's monastery found by Princess Anastasia, daughter of Dmitry Donsky.

The five domed katholikon (main church of the monastery) of Bogoyavlensky Cathedral or Epiphany Cathedral construction began in 1559 during life of abbot Isaiah (Shaposhnikov). The architecture of the new church was influenced by traditional Byzantine churches. Most of the funds were donated by Prince Vladimir Staritsky, a cousin of Ivan the Terrible. The same year Prince Vladimir visited the abbey on his way to defend Astrakhan against the Mongol hoards. He was warmly greeted by the monks. This became the bases for Ivan the Terrible to suspect his relative in ambitions to become the new tsar. Prince Vladimir was accused under false pretext and subsequently executed (1569), while abbot Isaiah with monks were killed by the tsar's army in 1570. Abbot Isaiah was buried in the basement crypt of the Cathedral of Epiphany.

 

 

 

During the Time of Troubles Polish forces of Aleksander Josef Lisowski who aided False- Dmitry II besieged the Bogoyavlensky Convent. On December 30 he broke through the defences and massacred 11 monks, 5 novices and 38 peasants. Before the Revolutions monks of the monastery served service every year to commemorate their memory.

 

Map of Bogoyavlensky Convent

Map of Bogoyavlensky Convent

1. Bogoyavlenski Cathedral

2. Smolenski Church

3. Bell tower

4. Memorial cross on the site of a destroyed Saint Nicholas Church

5. Former Hospital wing, currently used as living quarters of the nuns of Bogoyavlensky Convent

6. Former kinder garten, currently used as living quarters of the nuns of Bogoyavlensky Convent

7. Former Dining Hall, currently houses Kostroma Seminary

8. East Wing, former residence of the head of the monastery

 

In the 17th century Bogoyavlensky Convent was reconstructed. New churches were built including Church of Saint John the Evangelist, Three Saint Church (1607- 1618) and the bell tower was finished in 1620. Additionally stone walls and towers encircled the monastery in 1642- 48. Most of the funds for the new construction were provided by nobleman M.M. Saltykov and patriarch Joseph.  Most of military defences were demolished during Soviet rule including many of the buildings in this religious complex. Frescoes of Bogoyavlensky Cathedral were painted in 1667 by masters Gury Nikitin and Sila Savin. Unfortunately paintings were also largely destroyed during Soviet period when fire broke out in 1982, wiping out most of the colours on the walls of the main cathedral.

 

Theotokos Fyodorovskaya or Our Lady of Saint TheodoreBogoyavlensky Convent was closed in 1918 as part of campaign to wipe out religion in the country, but main Bogoyavlensky Cathedral operated as a parish church until 1924. Soviets demolished many of the buildings as well as walls and towers. The only tower that they kept is the one that was turned into a monastery belfry. In July 20, 1990 Bogoyavlensky or Epithany Convent was returned to Russian Orthodox Monastery. In 1991 Orthodox Church moved an icon of Theotokos Fyodorovskaya or Our Lady of Saint Theodore to Epithany Cathedral. It is a medieval icon that became famous as a miracle working icon. In 1613 it was used to bless Michael Romanov (or Romanoff), the first ruler from the Romanov dynasty. Just before a Russian Revolution it is claimed that the icon darkened. Many people took it as a bad omen for the ruling Royal House.

 

 

 

 

 

Transportation

 

Hotels, motels and where to sleep

 

Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

 

Cultural (and not so cultural) events

 

Interesting information and useful tips

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus