Romanov Museum was opened in Kostroma in 1913
to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.
It gather the collection of antiquities under supervision of
historian N.N. Selifontov and Provincial Arhives Commission.
The exposition was presented on the first floor of the
building of the Noble Assembly as an addition of the
historic museum that opened in 1891. Romanov Museum grew in
size and it became evident that the collection a new
building. It was constructed in 1904- 11 and new museum of
Kostroma was inaugurated in May 19, 1913 in the presence of
Emperor Nicholas II, the royal family and other
distinguished guests. Surprisingly after the revolution
Romanov Museum survived looting and destruction. Instead the
new government turned it into Kostroma regional museum
devoted to history of the city and its surroundings.