Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Kursk
Kursk is a city in Russia, the administrative
center of the Kursk region, as well as the Kursk district. It is not
included in the district, being a city of regional importance,
forming the city of Kursk with the status of a city district. Kursk
is located 530 km south of Moscow. In the Middle Ages it is the capital
of the Kursk principality, in 1918 - the seat of the Provisional
Workers 'and Peasants' Government of Ukraine.
research shows that on the site of the present Znamensky Monastery
of Kursk there existed a large settlement no later than the VIII
century. Since 1508 - the southern border town within the Moscow
State. In the same year began its restoration as a fortress city. In
1797 he was granted the status of a provincial city. Kursk - a place
of bloody battles of the Great Patriotic War, "City of Military
Glory" (April 27, 2007), was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War
I degree "for courage and resilience shown by the working people of
the city during the Great Patriotic War, as well as successes in
economic and cultural construction ”(April 9, 1980).
is one of the cultural, religious centers of Russia. Kursk has a
large industrial complex, scientific and educational centers. Kursk
is a transport hub of central Russia.
Travel Destinations in Kursk
Museum of Regional Studies, 6 Lunacharskogo St.
Museum of the Battle of Kursk
Art Gallery of
Deyneka, 85 Radischev St.
Archeological Museum, 6 Pionerov St.
Trinity Monastery, built in the early
Znamensky Cathedral, you will see its blue dome
from almost everywhere in the city.
Triumph Arc dedicated to the
victory in the Battle of Kursk.
History of Kursk
Archaeology indicates that the site of Kursk was settled in the
5th or 4th century BCE. The settlement was fortified and included
Slavs at least as early as the 8th century CE.
written record of Kursk is dated 1032. It was mentioned as one of
Severian towns by Prince Igor in The Tale of Igor's Campaign:
"Saddle, brother, your swift steeds. As to mine, they are ready,
saddled ahead, near Kursk; as to my Kurskers, they are famous
knights—swaddled under war-horns, nursed under helmets, fed from the
point of the lance; to them the trails are familiar, to them the
ravines are known, the bows they have are strung tight, the quivers,
unclosed, the sabers, sharpened; themselves, like gray wolves, they
lope in the field, seeking for themselves honor, and for their
The seat of a minor principality, Kursk was
raided by the Polovtsians in the 12th and 13th centuries and
destroyed by Batu Khan around 1237. The city was rebuilt no later
than 1283. It was ruled by Grand Duchy of Lithuania between 1360 and
1508. Kursk joined the centralized Russian state in 1508, becoming
its southern border province. It was an important center of the corn
trade with Ukraine and hosted an important fair, which took place
annually under the walls of the monastery of Our Lady of Kursk.
However, a century later the city re-emerged in a new place;
date of re-considered grounds Kursk 1586. In 1596 a new fortress was
built, in 1616 it was garrisoned by over 1,300 soldiers. At the
beginning of the 17th century Kursk was repeatedly attacked by
Polish-Lithuania (in 1612, 1616, 1617, 1634), the Crimean Tatars,
and the Nogai horde, but Kursk fortress was never taken. Residents
of Oryol and other southern Russian cities were resettled in Kursk
(by 1678 2,800 had been resettled). The city developed due to its
advantageous geographical position on the shortest route from Moscow
to the Crimea and from Kiev to the Crimea.
It was raided
frequently by the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and Crimean Khanate
until the late 17th century and was ruled by the Polish–Lithuanian
Commonwealth between 1611 and 1618. It was successively part of the
Kiev Governorate (1708–1727), Belgorod Governorate (1727–1779), and
Kursk Viceroyalty (1779–1797). Town status was granted to Kursk in
1779. It became the administrative center of Kursk Governorate in
After a fire in 1781 devastated Kursk, a new plan for
the city was developed in which a market center would be at the
heart of the city (it was erected in the central square, known as
Red Square). In 1768 the Voskirsensko Ilinskaya Church was built
(Russian: Воскресенско-Ильинская церковь). In 1778 both the Sergiev
Cathedral Kazan Cathedral Baroque and Trinity Sergius Cathedral were
completed. The city opened its first school for the nobility in
1783. A men's gymnasium was opened in 1808 and a seminary in 1817. A
women's gymnasium was opened in 1870.
At the beginning of the
20th century Kursk played a dominant role in the food industry
(Kvilitsu AK, one of the largest breweries in Russia, operated in
Kursk) and in other industries as well; so, in the 1900s, appeared
in the city 4 sitoproboynye shops (of which the largest was a
workshop Tikhonov, products are sent to foreign markets - Germany,
Austria-Hungary, etc.). Organized several engineering enterprises
(in 1914 there were seven, including one - rail). Working conditions
in the factories of Kursk were harsh and often resulted in strikes
(for instance, from 1901-03 the workers at the sugar mill went on
strike). Kursk workers participated in the general political strike
during the 1905 Russian Revolution.
On November 26 (December
9,) 1917 the Soviets took power. Kornilovites came to Kursk in
September 20, 1919. On September 20, 1919, troops under the command
of General Denikin entered the city. On November 19, 1919, the Red
Army took Kursk. The Soviet government valued Kursk for rich
deposits of iron ore and developed it into one of the major railroad
hubs in the Russian southwest. In 1932 in the Kursk was included
Yamskaya Sloboda. In 1935 a tram system began operating in the city.
In 193?, the territory of the city of Kursk was divided into
Leninsky District (left bank of the Kura), Dzerzhinsky District
(right bank of the Kura) and Kirov District (Yamskaya Sloboda). In
1937 Stalinsky District was formed in the southern outskirts of the
During World War II, Kursk was occupied by Germany
between November 4, 1941 and February 8, 1943. In July 1943, the
Germans launched Operation Citadel in an attempt to recapture Kursk.
During the resulting Battle of Kursk, the village of Prokhorovka
near Kursk became the center of a major armoured engagement – the
Battle of Prokhorovka – between Soviet and German forces, which is
widely considered to have been one of the largest tank battles in
history. Operation Citadel was the last major German offensive
against the Soviet Union.
Rebuilding efforts in the city began in February 1944. The
cultural life recovered as well: on 19 February the cinema reopened
and on February 27 the drama theatre. In 1953 the tram system began
operating. By 1950 the urban economy had been completely restored.
On August 17, 1956, Stalinsky District was renamed Promishlenost
District, and Dzerzhinsky District was abolished and its territory
divided between Promishlenost and Leninsky Districts.
2009, for the first time in 90 years at the site of Theotokos of
Kursk, the most revered icon in the Russian Orthodox Church,
received the name Hodigitria Russian diaspora.
Kursk had the status of historical settlement, but the Russian
Ministry of Culture deprived the city of this status on July 29,
2010 in resolution № 418/339.
On October 28, 2011, for the
first time in 30 years, the city opened a new firehouse for the
protection of the Central District, with modern equipment. In 2012,
Kursk celebrated its 980th anniversary.
By train from Kursky Terminal in Moscow. Firmenny daily
sleeper train Solovey #105/106 comes to Kursk early in the morning
covering 537km. Other direct destinations are Saint Petersburg,
Ukrainian cities like Kharkov, Crimean capital Simferopol,
neighboring Belgorod and southern resort Anapa.
The city's hilly landscape is cut through by rectangular quarters as
it was planned by the 17th city engineers. The city's airport is 7km
north and serves flights to Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Sochi.
Tsentralnaya (Центральная), 2 Lenina St. Restaurant,
bar, cafe, ATM from at 1600RUB.
24 Lenina st (The city center), ☎ +7 47122 2-69-80, +7 47122
2-24-08. Soviet-style hotel, free wi-fi, no breakfast, a balanced
quality for the price.
(Соловьиная роща), 142a, Engels St (Located on the city's outskirts
close to the woods and a small river), ☎ +7 4712 32-55-32, fax: +7
(4712) 32-55-32, e-mail: email@example.com. Restaurant, bar,
sauna, billiard, breakfast, tennis court, wi-fi from at 2600RUB.
Avrora (Аврора), 9 Sumskaya st, ☎ +7 4712 390 900, +7 4712 390 901,
+7 4712 390 902, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant,
lobby-bar, massage salon, sauna, wi-fi. from at 2900RUB.
The One Bar, Dzerjinskogo 19, ☎ +7 4712 360112. 13:00 to
5AM. Modern, attractive bar in the center of town, close to Red
Square. Open daily from 13:00 until 3AM on Mondays, Tuesdays and
Wednesdays. On weekends it opens from 13:00 until 5AM with great
DJ's and a European standard selection of music.
Russian Touring Car Championship