Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Melikhovo
Melikhovo (State Literary-Memorial Museum-Reserve
of A.P. Chekhov) is one of the main Chekhov museums in Russia.
Located in the vicinity of the city of Chekhov, Moscow region. Here,
from 1892 to 1899, the writer lived with his parents and immediate
relatives. Before leaving for the Crimea, Chekhov sold this estate,
and after the revolution it fell into neglect.
In the XVIII
and until the middle of the XIX century there were estates of
landowners Naumov and Chufarovsky in Melikhovo. In the second half
of the XIX century - the Kuvshinnikovs (two estates, one of which
later passed to Varennikovs, both lost) and the Sergeevs settled
here. The last
owner since 1888 is artist N.P. Sorokhtin. From 1892 to 1899 - A.P.
Chekhov, then until 1908 - manufacturer S.N. Konshin. The last owner
until 1917 was Baron ND Stewart.
The wooden one-storeyed main house
of the Melikhovo estate was constructed in 1840s with subsequent alterations, restored in the 1960s, has
been preserved. The outhouse of 1894 was designed by A.P. Chekhov, a
kitchen and a shed of 1890s, a small park with a garden and a pond.
In the estate there were many famous figures of Russian culture. The
wooden church of the Nativity of Christ, erected in 1757 by A.
Naumov and rebuilt after the fire of 1994. Local village
cemetery is located nearby with some old tombstone. The bell tower erected by the project and with the funds
of A.P. Chekhov, dismantled earlier. The church was attributed to the Church of the
Nativity of the Virgin in the estate Vaskino. At the edge of the
village Melikhovo a wooden building of the school was built thank to
the effort of
A.P. Chekhov. Today an exposition "Zemskaya school of the end of the XIX
century" is held within its walls.