Novosibirsk (Novo-Nikolaevsk until 1926) is the
third most populous city in Russia. It forms the urban district,
which is the most populated municipality in the country. It is the administrative center of
the Siberian Federal District, the Novosibirsk Region and the
Novosibirsk District entering into its structure; The city is the
center of the Novosibirsk agglomeration. The largest commercial,
business, cultural, industrial, transport and scientific center of
Novosibirsk was founded in 1893, received city status in December 1903 (according to a new style - in January 1904). The population is 1,612,833 people (2018). The city is located on both banks of the Ob River near the Novosibirsk reservoir formed by the dam of the Novosibirsk hydroelectric station. The territory of the city, within its city limits, is 505.62 km².
The head of the city (mayor) is elected by universal suffrage among the inhabitants of the city. This post since April 23, 2014 is held by Anatoly Lokot (KPRF).
Right bank. On the right bank is the city center -
historical, business and cultural. Here are the main attractions:
Lenin Square with the Opera House - the largest theater building in Russia. The main street of the city, Red Avenue, passes through Lenin Square. Not far from the square is the Chapel of St. Nicholas - one of the symbols of the city.
Novosibirsk Zoo, with a unique collection of 11 thousand individuals belonging to 700 species. This is one of the largest zoos in Russia, with spacious enclosures on a huge area. The zoo is located in Zaeltsovsky pine forest - one of the largest forest areas within the city. There is also an arboretum and a children's railway.
Left Coast. Large industrial and sleeping part of the city. The center of the left-bank part of Novosibirsk are Marx Square and Marx Avenue. Also in the area is the "Monument of Glory" - a memorial ensemble in memory of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.
Academgorodok and HPP. The Soviet district of the city, which includes Akademgorodok and the hydroelectric power station, is located 20 kilometers south of the center. There are about 20 institutes in Akademgorodok, such as the Institute of Nuclear Physics, the Institute of Thermal Physics, the Institute of Mathematics, the Institute of Cytology and Genetics, and so on. Most of them are located on or near Lavrentiev Avenue. Also, in Akademgorodok there are Novosibirsk State University and the Physics and Mathematics School, Novosibirsk Technopark. The main districts of Akademgorodok are considered to be the so-called upper zone, where most of the institutes are located, and the Shch microdistrict, built up mainly with residential buildings. A feature of the Soviet district is the absence of continuous urban development, a large number of forest and park areas, beaches. There is a lot of forest in Akademgorodok (mainly coniferous), squirrels are often found. Nearby is the botanical garden, as well as one of the beaches of the Novosibirsk reservoir.
Novosibirsk is one of the hubs of the S7 airline, which operates flights throughout Russia and abroad from here. There are even direct flights to Europe, although the southern direction is more popular with regular flights to the cities of Central Asia, and when the situation allows, then to China, Thailand or South Korea. From foreign airlines, Fly Dubai (Dubai) and Air Astana (Nur-Sultan) regularly fly to Novosibirsk.
From Europe and the European part of Russia it is convenient to fly to Novosibirsk via Moscow. At least 10 daily flights connect Novosibirsk with Moscow. Many of them fly in an easterly direction at night, but there are also plenty of daytime ones.
Airport "Tolmachevo" (IATA:OVB). The only terminal is divided into zones of domestic (A) and international (B) flights. In the corridor between them there is a bust of the pilot Pokryshkin (a native of Novosibirsk), whose name the airport is named after. Luggage storage: 300 ₽ per day. There are several pretentious cafes in the registration area, and the “Cup of Coffee” is noticeably more expensive here than in the city. An inexpensive alternative to these establishments are mini-coffee houses "Tea and Pai", as well as "Plantain". All of them are even more cramped than the airport itself, but there are several tables in each. On the square, opposite the entrance to the terminal, there is a 24-hour self-service canteen Gus-Gus with plastic utensils and prices that are not the most adequate for such a service, but still eating here is noticeably cheaper than inside the terminal. If you are looking for even more savings, at the exit from the parking lot, behind the Skyport Hotel, there is a small Aerogrill cafe where taxi drivers cluster - cheap and cheerful.
There are several hotels near the airport: the 6-12-24 hotel offers “time-based” rates and amenities in a room or per block (from 2600 ₽ for 12 hours for two), and the Skyport Hotel looks more luxurious and modern at comparable prices. prices (from 3240 ₽ for a double room). Both hotels have 24-hour restaurants. There is also a cheaper accommodation option - the Timis apart-hotel with rooms resembling a hostel and very low prices: 2000 ₽ for a double room with private facilities.
How to get there: the airport is located on the left bank of the Ob, 20 km from the center of Novosibirsk
bus number 111 from the railway station with intermediate stops on the left bank. The bus runs every half an hour and looks like an intercity bus with a separate compartment for luggage. Ticket: 50 ₽ (2021), payment to the driver (cash only). Travel time: 40 minutes, but may increase up to 1.5 hours due to traffic jams.
bus number 112 runs every 20 minutes and serves the left bank, reaching the Marksa Square Metro Station
through the railway station Ob, where long-distance trains and electric trains of the western direction stop (10 times a day, 30 minutes on the way from the station); theoretically, free buses should run from the station to the airport, but in practice you will have to look for stops of the already mentioned routes 111/112 and get to them
a taxi to the center costs 600-700 ₽, although it can be cheaper through the application; to Akademgorodok — 1000 ₽
At the exit from the airport, pay attention to the memorial aircraft TU-154 in the livery of Siberia Airlines - that was the name of the S7 that grew out of the Novosibirsk squadron.
Railway station "Novosibirsk-Glavny". The railway station "Novosibirsk-Glavny" is located on the Trans-Siberian Railway almost in the center of Novosibirsk. The station building resembles an old steam locomotive and is an architectural landmark of the city. It was completed in 1939, which refers it to the Stalinist architecture. Given that the Trans-Siberian is the only railway from west to east of Russia, in order to get to Novosibirsk, any train going from west to east and vice versa will do. As a rule, trains make a stop for at least half an hour. In addition, there is a railway from Novosibirsk to Barnaul, with access to Turksib, which connects Central Asia with Siberia. This road is the main route for guests from Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan. It should also be noted the presence of electric trains (trains) within the region (in five directions) which are convenient to get to some areas of the city (for example, Pervomaisky, Sovetsky) - trains run on schedule and without traffic jams. As well as fast trains to the neighboring cities of Omsk and Krasnoyarsk. On the western side, between the station and the suburban station, in a glass hangar, there is a model of the Provorny steam locomotive, which worked on the Tsarskoye Selo railway in the 1840s.
Highways go to the city in 6 directions:
Omsk - federal highway P254
Kemerovo, Tomsk - federal highway "Baikal" P255
Barnaul - federal highway "Chuysky Trakt" P256
There are 5 ways to cross the Ob River in the city and its environs:
Dimitrovsky bridge. It connects the Leninsky district (Labor Square and Energetikov Square) with the Zheleznodorozhny District (Dimitrova Avenue).
Oktyabrsky bridge, also called Communal. It connects the Leninsky district (Gorskoy district - Karl Marx Avenue, Nemirovich-Danchenko street) and the Oktyabrsky district (Rechnoy Vokzal transport interchange).
Bugrinsky (Olovozavodsky) bridge. It is located south of the Oktyabrsky bridge, and connects the Kirovsky district (the area of Vatutina street, Bugrinskaya grove, STC Mega) and the Oktyabrsky district (the intersection of Bolshevistskaya and Vybornaya streets, Klyuch-Kamyshenskoye plateau). The most beautiful due to the powerful arched span.
Ob HPP dam. From the left bank - the village of Krasnoobsk (Vaskhnil) and the hydroelectric power station (Sovetsky district). From the right bank - Gateway, Akademgorodok (Sovetsky district) and the city of Berdsk.
In the north, outside the city, on the so-called Northern Bypass of Novosibirsk, between the village of Mochishche and Krasny Yar, there is a bridge along which you can (and should - in order not to get into traffic jams) bypass Novosibirsk when transiting from west to east and back.
In the city, you can face the problem of traffic jams, and when moving around the center - with the problem of parking. A particularly acute situation with traffic occurs in the morning (from 8 to 11 am) and evening (from 16 to 20 pm). At this time, it is recommended to use the subway if possible - it is much faster.
When parking in the center, it is especially worth following the rules, since tow trucks operate in the city, which, according to a well-established scheme, take an incorrectly parked car to a car pound in 5 minutes (however, this does not mean that you will not see incorrectly parked cars in the city, rather the opposite ). It takes about a day to pick up the car from the impound.
Novosibirsk is connected by bus with neighboring regions (Altai, Tomsk region, Kemerovo region) and all districts of the region. There are also flights to Kazakhstan - Pavlodar, Semey, Ust-Kamenogorsk, Karaganda and to Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan.
Ticket office of the bus station on the left bank, Stanislavsky, 34. 8:00-21:00. Here you can buy bus station tickets for all directions, as well as take buses following in the Orda direction (Ordynskoye, Kamen-on-Obi, Karasuk, Dovolnoye, Kupino, Yarovoe, Pavlodar)
On the ship
Novosibirsk is located on the banks of the Ob, next to the Ob Sea (reservoir). Theoretically, it is possible to get to the Arctic Ocean along the Ob, but there are no regular passenger flights. The West Siberian Shipping Company offers only pleasure trips along the Ob (within the city), as well as cruises - on the reservoir (for a day or two days), and a cruise (three days) to Tomsk. In the summer, such a trip can be interesting in terms of recreation.
Fare (2021): metro - 26 rubles, trams and trolleybuses
- 24 rubles, buses - 25 rubles, minibuses - depending on the distance.
The fourth largest in Russia, after Moscow, St. Petersburg and Nizhny Novgorod. It consists of only two lines, one of which (Leninskaya, marked in red on the maps) runs along Krasny Prospekt (Zaeltsovskaya, Gagarinskaya, Krasny Prospekt, Ploschad Lenina stations) and goes through Oktyabrskaya and Rechnoy Vokzal stations to the left bank (Studencheskaya and Marx Square). At Krasny Prospekt station there is the possibility of transferring to the second line - Dzerzhinskaya (green on the map), which connects the railway station (Ploschad Garin-Mikhailovsky station) with the eastern districts of the city (Marshal Pokryshkin, Berezovaya Roshcha, Zolotaya Niva stations). The most important subway junctions are Zaeltsovskaya (transfer to ground transport to all microdistricts in the north of the city), River Station (transfer to transport, including electric trains, to Pervomaisky district, Sovetsky district and the city of Berdsk) and Marksa Square (transfer to ground transport to all microdistricts of the left bank). Thus, when planning trips around the city, it is recommended to "tie" them to the subway, this will significantly save time. The metro station Ploshchad Lenina, located under the square of the same name, is located in the administrative center of the city. The metro operates daily from 6 am to 12 pm. The interval of train movement depends on the time, during the day it is usually 3-6 minutes, at night it can be more than 10 minutes. At the same time, the interval is always respected, and the metro is a safe mode of transport. Fare payment by PayPass or tokens (only sold for cash).
It is worth noting that the metro bridge of the Novosibirsk Metro, connecting Studencheskaya station on the left bank of the Ob and Rechnoy Vokzal station on the right bank, is the longest covered metro bridge in the world. Its total length is 2145 m, of which the river part is 896 m.
Today the main mode of transport connecting all areas of the city. Routes are divided into municipal and commercial. The fare is 24 rubles. Fare is paid through the conductor. There is a problem because commercial buses can leave routes at 19-20 hours, and after this time it can be difficult to get where you need to go.
A minibus of the "Gazelle" type is called a fixed-route taxi, or simply a minibus, in Novosibirsk. The fare is 19-25 rubles, many minibuses run frequently, they are convenient to get to remote areas and the suburbs of Novosibirsk: Pervomaisky and Sovetsky districts (the fare will be more expensive -30-50 rubles), Koltsovo, Krasnoobsk, Berdsk, because having collected at the final a full cabin of passengers, these minibuses travel non-stop. Other city routes are practically no different from bus routes, with the exception of comfort and some speed advantage.
Trolleybus service is available both in the center of Novosibirsk and on the outskirts (only Pervomaisky and Sovetsky districts are not connected by trolleybus). In terms of the number of trolleybuses, the city is second only to Moscow and St. Petersburg, while there are a little more than 10 routes. Thus, the operating routes show acceptable traffic intervals and compete with land transport. The routes pass mainly along large streets, you can also get from coast to coast by trolleybus - along the Kommunalny and Dimitrovsky bridges. The trolleybus runs from 6 am to 11 pm (approximately). There are quite a lot of old, not modernized Soviet trolleybuses, there may be problems and delays with them due to outdated and failing equipment. Fare payment at the conductor, PayPass is accepted.
The tram network consists of two independent systems - on the left and on the right bank of the Ob. The only route that may be of interest to travelers is No. 13, it passes through the city center, the traffic interval is usually 10-15 minutes. The rest of the routes either run infrequently or lead to remote, uninteresting areas. Paying the fare at the conductor in cash, PayPass is accepted.
Yandex.Taxi operates in the city, the cost of a trip is from 150 rubles, to remote areas (like Akademgorodok) 700-1500 rubles, the waiting time is usually no more than 5-10 minutes.
Above it was mentioned about the walking routes of the river station (they can get to the beaches, and summer residents use them to travel to their summer cottages), as well as about electric trains.
Opera House, Red Avenue, 36. The Opera House is,
without a doubt, the main theatrical attraction of the city and one of
the symbols of the city. This is the largest theater building in Russia,
an architectural monument. It was completed in the 40s of the XX
century, which refers it to the Stalinist architecture. It has a huge
auditorium. If you are interested in ballet or opera, be sure to visit
it. The theater is located in the very center of the city, on Lenin
Square, near the metro station of the same name. The official name is
the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre, the
abbreviation is NOVAT.
Novosibirsk zoo , Timiryazev, 71/1. ☎ 7 (383) 220-97-79. It is considered one of the main attractions of Novosibirsk. One of the two largest zoos in Russia (along with Moscow), while it is much larger in area. It is part of the territory of the Zaeltsovsky Park (60 hectares), in which the enclosures are located. The zoo has 11 thousand animals belonging to 700 species. More than 300 species are listed in the International Red Book, the Red Book of Russia and the Novosibirsk region. Animals are kept in spacious enclosures and often give offspring. The zoo has one of the richest collections of felines and martens in the world. The territory is landscaped, in the summer there are a large number of cafes, shops with souvenirs, children's attractions. The ticket price for adults is 250 rubles, for full-time students and children from 7 to 16 years old - 100 rubles, for children under 7 years old - free of charge. The Zoo is open in summer from 9 am to 9 pm, and in winter from 9 am to 6 pm. Zaeltsovskaya metro station (Kalinina Square) by any means of transport to the Planovaya stop (10 minutes walk from there). Also to the stop. The zoo goes by minibus number 28.
The city was founded in 1893, so there is no ancient architecture in the city.
First of all, the architecture of the Stalin era deserves attention. To get an idea of it, on the right bank you can walk along Krasny Prospekt, Dzerzhinsky Prospect, Bogdan Khmelnitsky Street, Vokzalnaya Highway, from the squares - visit Kalinin, Sverdlov, Lenin, Garin-Mikhailovsky Square. On the left bank, it makes sense to take a walk along Stanislavsky Street.
There are few buildings built in pre-revolutionary times in the city, and they are all located on the right bank in the historical center of the city. The most striking and famous example is the building of the Novosibirsk State Museum of Local Lore (formerly the City Trade Building), located on Lenin Square. To feel what the city was like in the first decades of its existence, it makes sense to look at the pre-revolutionary monuments of wooden architecture.
There are no high-rise buildings in the city, about 20 houses have a height of 80 to 90 meters, but not higher. These are business centers and residential buildings built in the 2000s. The only exception to this list is the Novosibirsk Hotel, built in the 1980s. On the whole, there are a lot of private sector, "Khrushchev", standard panel houses in the city, and, despite the fact that Novosibirsk is a big city, there is simply nothing for tourists to see in many areas of the city.
In general, there are about 20 theaters in the city, most of which are located on the right bank, not far from the city center. The most popular and authoritative are: the Opera House, the Musical Comedy Theatre, the Red Torch Drama Theatre, the Globe Youth Academic Theatre, the Old House Drama Theatre. The cost of tickets to these theaters is from 200 to 800 rubles (for good seats, as a rule, from 500 rubles). It should be noted that theaters mostly sell out, so if you want to visit theaters, it is better to take tickets in advance - a week in advance, and preferably a month in advance. Theater websites can help with this, which list the entire repertoire, poster, as well as links to online ticket purchases.
Most of the museums are located in the city center, but there are also several museums worth visiting in Akademgorodok. A number of museums are departmental (at institutions), so it is advisable, if there is interest in a particular museum, to coordinate a visit in advance by phone.
The city has a large number of cinemas for every taste. Basically, they should be looked for in the city center and in large shopping centers.
Winter in the region is long and snowy, so various winter activities are popular, such as skating, skiing, skiing, snowboarding, sleigh rides.
Small ski resorts can be found in and around the city. Since the city is located on a plain, and the elevation changes are small, advanced lovers of skiing and snowboarding will most likely not be very interested in ski resorts located within and near the city. But they have at their disposal the nearby ski resorts and complexes - Yurmanka, Novososedovo, Tanai, Pikhtovy ridge. It is also worth noting Sheregesh, located in the Kemerovo region, which, despite its considerable remoteness from the city (about 600 km), is perhaps the most famous, largest and most respected ski resort among the inhabitants of Novosibirsk. Bus flights between Novosibirsk and Sheregesh are regularly organized during the season. Skating rinks can be found throughout the city, both "wild" and rental.
The beach season in Novosibirsk is short, there are not so many hot sunny days, however, the residents of the city do not miss the opportunity to sunbathe and swim on some beach on the banks of the Ob or the Ob reservoir. The water temperature, as expected, is not high - it rarely rises above 20 degrees, and it is difficult to call water clean. The main beach in the city is the City Beach on the left bank. And more interesting, spacious and picturesque beaches can be found in the area of the hydroelectric power station and Akademgorodok, and in the city of Berdsk.
In Novosibirsk, on Yarinskaya Street, 8, the largest indoor water park in Russia, Aquamir, is located. There are several cafes, a thermal zone with many baths and saunas, and the main zone - 8 steep slides and a children's mini-water park in the form of a pirate ship.
In general, there is no shortage of shopping and
entertainment and large food stores in Novosibirsk. For a more detailed
description of them, see the articles about the districts of the city.
Of the largest shopping and entertainment centers of the city, Mega and
Aura are worth noting:
1 STC Mega, st. Vatutina, 107 (Left Bank). There are many stores of clothing, shoes, jewelry, accessories, sporting goods, household appliances. There are hypermarkets IKEA (furniture and household goods), Leroy Merlin (goods for repair and construction), Auchan (food products). Naturally, there are several cafes, restaurants, coffee shops. There is a playground.
2 SEC Aura , st. Military, 5 (Right Bank, 15 minutes from Lenin Square). There are many clothing and footwear stores, sporting goods, jewelry, perfumes and cosmetics, and all sorts of other shops. There are electronics stores, grocery hypermarket O'Key. Almost the entire floor of the four-story shopping center is allocated for cafes, restaurants, coffee houses. From entertainment - there are cinemas, bowling, playgrounds.
3 MFC Sun City, pl. Karl Marx, 7 (Left Bank, 5 minutes walk from the metro station Marx Square). ☎ (383) 362 - 91 - 50. 10:00-22:00. There are many clothing, footwear, electronics, perfumery and other stores in the IFC. From entertainment - several halls of the cinema, a playground. There are several cafes, coffee shops, eateries.
Several fast food chains operate in the city: KFC, Macdonalds, New York Pizza, Fork-Spoon (canteen) and others. They are located mainly in shopping and entertainment centers, or have separate restaurants in crowded places. The average check in such establishments is 200-300 rubles, service is usually fast. There are also canteens that are not part of the network, offering a full meal, you can dine in them within 200 rubles.
Fast food kiosks
Separately, fast food chains can be noted, with a huge number of small kiosks throughout the city, which are located in crowded places, next to public transport stops. Such establishments should not be considered as normal food, but you can have a bite to eat while walking around the city or in the absence of time, the quality of food is predictable and quite normal.
Uncle Doner. The main direction is shawarma.
Russian pancakes. As the name suggests, the main dish is pancakes, which can be stuffed with various products.
Plantain. Various sandwiches and salads are on sale. Less respected by the residents of the city institution than the previous two, but it is quite possible to have a bite to eat.
There are several chain and local establishments of average cost in the city - a chain of restaurants Svoyaya Kompaniya, Coffee grinder coffee shop, Kolyada cafe, Traveller's Coffee, Beerman. In the center of the city you will not feel the lack of them, in other places - refer to the articles about the districts of the city.
There are several establishments of the highest price category - mainly in the city center.
Book accommodation using online services, there are options for every taste and budget.
All major mobile operators - MTS, Beeline, Megafon and TELE2 operate in the city.
Remote sleeping areas of the city represent some
(depending on the time of day, as well as your appearance) danger -
criminal elements are found here. First of all, this applies to
microdistricts on the left bank - Zatulinsky, Yugo-Zapadny, Zapadny,
Rastochka (the area of Mira Street); on the right bank - Pervomaisky
district, MZhK. Given the lack of interesting places in these areas,
tourists are advised to refrain from visiting these places, or use taxi
In Novosibirsk, as well as throughout Siberia, ixodid ticks are often found - carriers of deadly diseases: tick-borne encephalitis and borreliosis. Therefore, when walking in nature (in particular, it is worth noting the Zaeltsovsky district, the Soviet district and Akademgorodok), one should be careful, look around after a walk, and immediately consult a doctor if bitten. Despite the fact that anti-tick treatment is carried out annually in city parks, there are cases of bites in the city.
It arose on April 30, 1893, as the village of Novaya
Derevnya (unofficial name - Gusevka) in connection with the construction
of a railway bridge across the Ob River during the construction of the
Trans-Siberian Railway. In 1894, Novaya Derevnya was renamed the village
of Aleksandrovsky, in honor of Emperor Alexander III, the initiator of
the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway, and already in 1895, the
village was renamed Novonikolaevsky in honor of Emperor Nicholas II. In
1903, it was transformed into the city of Novonikolaevsk without a
county. The component is newly included in the name to distinguish it
from the names of two other cities that existed then with the name
"Nikolaevsk": at the mouth of the Amur (since 1926 - Nikolaevsk-on-Amur)
and in the Volga region (since 1918 - Pugachev). In 1926 Novonikolaevsk
was renamed into Novosibirsk.
It should be noted that in the TSB of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd editions and in the BDT the names Novonikolaevsky and Novonikolaevsk are used, while in the sources of the beginning of the 20th century through a hyphen - Novo-Nikolaevsky and Novo-Nikolaevsk, in the NES at the same time in another article, Novonikolaevsk is also found. Also, the TSB indicates the renaming to Novosibirsk in 1925, the BRE - in 1926. In ESBE and NES, the name "Novosibirsk" occurs only in relation to the Novosibirsk Islands.
In common parlance, the city is often abbreviated as Novosib or Nsk.
Founding and history until 1917
The history of the city dates back to the construction of the first railway bridge across the Ob.
It should be noted that as it grew, the city included territories that previously included other settlements, including more ancient ones. So, for example, the modern boundaries of the city include the former settlement of the Chat Tatars, which existed in the 16th-18th centuries. The first Russian settlement on the territory of modern Novosibirsk was the Nikolsky churchyard or the village of Bolshoe Krivoshchekovo, founded at the end of the 17th century. Bolshoy Krivoshchekovo, together with the Krivoshchekovsky settlement, were resettled during the construction of the railway and the railway bridge.
On April 30 (May 12), 1893, the first batch of workers arrived at the site of the future city to build housing for the builders of the railway bridge, this moment is considered to be the official date of birth of Novosibirsk.
By 1896, the West Siberian Railway was completed to the Ob, in connection with which Bolshoe Krivoshchekovo was partially destroyed. More than a hundred families with houses were relocated to the opposite bank, founding in 1891 the village of Krivoshchekovsky (Atlas of Asiatic Russia, St. year - Novosibirsk-Western). In 1897, the built railway bridge across the Ob River was opened for traffic. The presence of the railway, the infrastructure of the station contributed to the influx of people into the settlement. So, in a few years, the number of its inhabitants increased from 685 to 2000. Krivoshchekovskaya Sloboda was included in the city of Novosibirsk only on October 20, 1930, receiving the name Zaobsky District (since 1934 - Kirovsky).
On May 11 (24), 1909, a terrible fire broke out in Novo-Nikolaevsk. It continued for several days. The fire destroyed 794 houses with all outbuildings, burned down 22 quarters of the city, more than 6 thousand people were left homeless (most of them camped in the open air along the Kamenka River). The total damage caused by the fire amounted to over 5 million rubles in gold. Following the fire, an epidemic of typhoid fever and cholera broke out a few days later. Also in 1909, the Ob railway station was renamed Novonikolaevsk.
In 1912, the authorities of Novo-Nikolaevsk officially introduced universal primary education (by that time, universal primary education had been introduced only in Yaroslavl). In the same year, an even more high-profile event takes place. The fact is that the fate of Novo-Nikolaevsk could become similar to the fate of other station settlements, which in the same way appeared at the intersection of the great rivers and the Trans-Siberian Railway, but chance intervened. In St. Petersburg, it was decided to link Siberia with Altai by rail. There were different options for the starting point, but Vladimir Zhernakov, the mayor of Novo-Nikolaevsk, for three years tried by all means to convince the Imperial Commission on Railways that it was necessary to lay the road to Semipalatinsk (the final point of the Altai branch) precisely from the Novo-Nikolaevsk station town. Nikolaevsk. As a result, on June 3 (16), 1912, the main event for the future of Novosibirsk took place: the Zhernakov option passed the highest approval, and Novo-Nikolaevsk overnight became the largest multimodal hub in Russia - the southern transport beam automatically changed the status of all the others, they turned into transnational ones. Since that time, an unprecedented economic boom began in Novo-Nikolaevsk: in 1915, when the construction of the Novo-Nikolaevsk-Semipalatinsk railway was just coming to an end, 7 banks were already operating in the city with a population of 70,000. The symbol of that time was the chapel of St. Nicholas, which was solemnly opened in the same year on Nikolaevsky Prospekt (now Krasny Prospekt).
In 1915, the Novonikolaevsk II railway station was built (since 1960 - Novosibirsk-Yuzhny), the Novonikolaevsk station was divided into Novonikolaevsk I-Passenger and Novonikolaevsk III-Tovarny stations.
In 1916, Novo-Nikolaevsk was chosen as a provincial city for the newly formed Altai province, which was supposed to be formed in 1917. The provisional government, however, then decided to make the provincial city of Barnaul.
By 1914, the population of the city of Novo-Nikolaevsk was 60,000 people, in 1915 - 75,000 people (excluding the variable composition of the quartered troops). The city has: a private and railway pier with an 820-ton oil glacier, 8 religious institutions (5 Orthodox, 1 Catholic, 1 Old Believer church, 1 Jewish prayer house), more than 40 educational institutions (including a real school, a women's gymnasium, a city, two-class railway and primary schools), a printing house, 4 libraries, 4 hospitals, outpatient clinics, a treasury, branches of 6 banks and 2 agencies of land banks (bank turnover is about 250 million rubles), an exchange, factories (Military Sugar, iron foundries "T- va Trud" and "Verman and Peters", leather, soap, sawmills, etc.).
With the outbreak of the First World War, the city began to turn into a huge rear garrison. On January 1, 1915, the following were stationed in it: the 4th Siberian rifle reserve brigade, the 52nd brigade of the state militia, the team of the district military commander, four Siberian rifle reserve battalions, the 707th foot squad of the Tomsk state militia, the horse reserve department, 146- th and 148th consolidated evacuation hospitals, a repair point for artillery horses. In subsequent years, the number of military units in the city increased further; in 1916, these units sent to the front an average of 25,000 trained replacements per month. In addition, the city had a camp for Austro-German prisoners of war for 10,000 people, in which in January 1917, in fact, about 12 thousand people were kept.
After the February Revolution, elections were held for the city People's Assembly. In parallel, the Council of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies was formed. On December 14 (27), 1917, an armed detachment headed by one of the leaders of the Bolsheviks, A. Petukhov, arrived at the city government premises - this is how power in the city passed to the Soviets.
On May 26, 1918, one of the units of the Czechoslovak Legion, which raised an armed rebellion along its entire route after the events of May 14-25, led by Captain Gaida, overthrew Soviet power in Novo-Nikolaevsk, capturing the city as a result of an unexpected military operation with the participation of officers of the local anti-Bolshevik underground. At the same time, in Tomsk, the population overthrew the provincial Bolshevik Council and announced the formation of an autonomous republic in the territory of the Tomsk, Altai, Omsk and Yenisei provinces - the Siberian region, which was proposed to be led by the anti-monarchist university intelligentsia, chaired by Grigory Potanin. On May 28, Colonel A. N. Grishin-Almazov arrived in Novo-Nikolaevsk, who announced his entry into command of the troops of the West Siberian Military District of the Republic of Autonomous Siberia. The military administration of Novo-Nikolaevsk, the leaders of the Bolshevik City Council (Fyodor Gorban, Fyodor Serebrennikov, Dmitry Polkovnikov, Alexander Petukhov, etc.) on June 4, 1918, were shot without trial and secretly buried. Terror was directed against the Soviet government and the workers, peasants, and employees who sympathized with it. Arrests and executions took place every day according to pre-prepared lists compiled by agents. The terror continued until December 1919 and was remembered for the special atrocities on the part of the White Guards. Grishin-Almazov demanded that his subordinates be proactive and merciless in the fight against enemies. On June 30, 1918, the West Siberian Commissariat transferred its power to the Provisional Siberian Government, formed from regional officials headed by P.V. Vologodsky, who arrived from Tomsk and Harbin. After that, the Provisional Government moved to Omsk, because Novo-Nikolaevsk continued to be under the control of Polish and Czech legionnaires. Foreign military personnel also carried out regular punitive operations against the local population. To a greater extent, contemporaries spoke negatively about the crimes of the Poles. In November 1919, Autonomous Siberia fell - in late autumn, Omsk was taken by the troops of the 5th Army of the Red Army, and a month later, the troops of the Siberian armies from Barnaul to Tomsk actually laid down their arms: Tomsk and Novo-Nikolaevsk fell in the 20th of December 1919.
After the Civil War in the spring of 1920, an epidemic of typhus and cholera was rampant in Novo-Nikolaevsk. The disease was brought from the European part of the country by refugees. The population of the city in August 1919 was almost 130 thousand people, and in 1920 it was already 67 thousand. The Soviet government created the Extraordinary Commission for the fight against typhus "Cheka-Tifus". From Novonikolaevsk, diseases spread throughout the province. State institutions, including the railway, worked poorly, the population experienced hunger. Visitors wandered around the city, who stayed here because of the idle time of trains and asked for food and lodging for the night.
In 1920, the surplus appraisal, going on in harsh conditions in the villages of the grain-growing part of the south-west of the Tomsk province, causes an anti-Bolshevik uprising of the Siberian Vendée peasants, which goes under the slogans of maintaining Soviet power and the socialist revolution, but without the communists. In the rebellious areas, communist cells were completely destroyed. About 150 people died - members of the RCP (b) - and members of the people's militia of Kolyvan (the center of the uprising). The rebels form their own armed forces and partisan detachments. At that time, there was no permanent garrison of the Red Army in Novonikolaevsk and the defense of the city was organized by the forces of the Cheka and the people's militia. Parts of the rebels captured the nearby Chik station. Sibrevkom urgently evacuates all state and party institutions to Tomsk. Tomsk returned the status of the capital of the province. From Novonikolaevsk and Tomsk, units of the Cheka and ChON (detachments of armed party members and active Komsomol members) were nominated against the rebels. The uprising was brutally crushed. About 600 people were arrested, 250 active participants were sentenced to death.
In order to restore the most important transport hub, the leadership of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee on June 13, 1921, through Sibrevkom, decides to turn Novo-Nikolaevsk into a “new proletarian administrative and political center”, Novonikolaevskaya province is formed on part of the territories of the Tomsk and Omsk provinces. Sibrevkom is again located here, all Siberian administrative structures of the RCP (b), including the editorial office of the newspaper Sovetskaya Sibir, are transferred here from Omsk. and then, on May 25, 1925, Sibrevkom carried out an administrative reform on the territory of Siberia, a new administrative structure was created - the Siberian Territory (with a center in Novo-Nikolaevsk / Novosibirsk). The structure included the former Tomsk, Omsk, Novonikolaev, Altai and Yenisei provinces, as well as the Oirot Autonomous Region.
Soviet power in Novo-Nikolaevsk was established at the end of January 1918, and then for the first time they started talking about renaming the city. After the restoration of Soviet power in December 1919, this issue began to be discussed again, many options were proposed. In December 1925, the first regional congress of the Soviets of Siberia decided on the issue of a new name for the city, and the newspaper Sovetskaya Sibir of December 10, 1925 hastily writes about the renaming of Novonikolaevsk to Novosibirsk. Since the city was officially called Novo-Nikolaevsk, the error was corrected in the resolution of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee on renaming dated February 12, 1926 - Novo-Nikolaevsk was renamed Novo-Sibirsk. However, as in the former name of the city, the hyphen in the name Novo-Sibirsk did not take root in society and was not used.
As the administrative center of the world's largest administrative-territorial unit, Novosibirsk is starting to develop again. The city gets the nickname "Siberian Chicago" - with the light hand of the People's Commissar of Education of the RSFSR, academician Anatoly Lunacharsky, who visited Novosibirsk in the late 1920s and wrote down his impressions of visiting the city like this:
“If five years ago Novosibirsk was still a semi-village, today it is an original city that has grown into a capital of two hundred thousand and irresistibly rushing forward like a real Siberian Chicago”
In 1930, the Krivoshchekovskaya Sloboda was renamed the Zaobsky District and for the first time included in the territory of the city of Novosibirsk, which until that time was located exclusively on the right side of the Ob. On July 30 of the same year, by a decree of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee, the West Siberian Territory was formed from 14 districts of the Siberian Territory and the Oirot Autonomous Region with the center in Novosibirsk.
In 1934, during the construction of the Palace of Science and Culture (now the Opera and Ballet Theatre), the construction of a dome designed by the Moscow engineer B.F. Materi was completed. Lying on a supporting reinforced concrete ring, which, in turn, rests on columns standing in a circle, this dome was created as a unique monolithic reinforced concrete structure with a diameter of 55.5 m, with a wall thickness of 8 cm. The ratio of the thickness of a chicken egg shell to its diameter is 1 / 250, and in the brainchild of Materi this figure was 1/750. The building of the Opera House becomes a symbol of modern Novosibirsk.
In 1936, the then largest enterprise in Novosibirsk, the Sibmashstroy plant, which produced flax scutchers and pumps of the Komsomolets type, changed its profile, director and name. It was transformed into "Aircraft Industry Enterprise No. 153", thus becoming a fighter aviation plant. The fact is that the plant was created for mass production of only one model of the designer Nikolai Polikarpov - the I-16, which today is considered the world's first serial high-speed low-wing aircraft with retractable landing gear in flight.
The plant, which in 1939 received the right to be called the name of Valery Chkalov (the I-16 was called “Chkalov’s aircraft” because Chkalov himself tested it and defended it before Stalin as the founder of a new type of combat aviation), during the Great Patriotic War became one of the main fighter aircraft suppliers. In 1944, 17 fighters per day left Novosibirsk for the front, although more than half of those working at the Chkalovsky plant were 12-14-year-old teenagers from suburban villages. They worked under the most severe discipline for 700 grams of bread a day - such is the price of the motto "Regiment per day", with which Novosibirsk entered the history of World War II.
On September 28, 1937, the Central Executive Committee of the USSR approved the Decree of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee on the division of the West Siberian Territory into the Novosibirsk Region with a center in Novosibirsk and the Altai Territory with a center in Barnaul. Subsequently, Kemerovo (January 26, 1943) and Tomsk regions (August 13, 1944) were separated from the Novosibirsk region.
From August 21, 1943 to June 3, 1958, Novosibirsk was an independent administrative and economic center with its own special budget and belonged to the category of cities of republican subordination of the RSFSR.
On September 25, 1948, a secret plant for the production of uranium products was founded on the northern outskirts of Novosibirsk, which was called enterprise No. 80 or the plant of chemical concentrates. The area adjoining it was called Sotsgorodok according to the then terminology for the special supply regime and the special attitude towards it from the authorities (L. Beria supervised the project). In 1951, the production of uranium began at the 80th "box", which at first was smelted by an open method.
The idea of creating the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences in Novosibirsk was put into practice in 1957, after the head of the country, Nikita Khrushchev, approved the plan of the three largest Soviet scientists: the "father" of anti-tank cumulative shells, Mikhail Lavrentiev, mathematician Sergei Sobolev and mechanical physicist Sergei Khristianovich. On the outskirts of Novosibirsk, according to the ideas of these scientists, Akademgorodok was erected.
The evacuated population influenced not only the development of science and art, but also the general demographic situation - on September 2, 1962, a millionth resident was officially registered in Novosibirsk.
In the 1960s, the West Siberian Railway, under the leadership of its first head, N.P. Nikolsky, experienced a technological renewal, many elements of which were of a revolutionary nature. Diesel locomotives and electric locomotives began to replace steam locomotives, and the modern system of passenger railway communication was born.
In 1969, the local zoo, organized in 1947, was headed by veterinary paramedic Rostislav Shilo.
In August 1972, General Secretary of the CPSU Central Committee Leonid Brezhnev visited Novosibirsk. In a conversation with him, the first secretary of the Novosibirsk regional party committee, Fyodor Goryachev, managed to prove the need for the speedy construction of the Novosibirsk metro - the first in Siberia. During the design of the future structure, the chief project engineer S. V. Tsygankov and engineer K. P. Vinogradov proposed a bridge across the Ob on 14 supports - this is how the birth of the longest metro bridge in the world took place. On December 28, 1985, the Novosibirsk Metro was accepted into operation by the State Commission, and on January 7, 1986, the Metro officially opened its doors to passengers.
On September 26, 1976, a former pilot who hijacked an An-2 aircraft from the Novosibirsk-Severny airfield rammed a five-story residential building on Stepnoy Street, 43/1. 11 people died.
On April 28, 1982, the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the RSFSR on awarding Novosibirsk with the Order of Lenin was published, and in February 1990 Novosibirsk was given the status of a historical city as a center of science and culture in Siberia.
On April 6, 1987, an annual holiday was established - the Day of the City of Novosibirsk. The very first Day of the City of Novosibirsk was celebrated on October 4, 1987. This day turned out to be the coldest in the history of the holiday - the temperature dropped to zero, the first snow fell. The following year, the holiday was moved to June. Since 1995, City Day has been officially celebrated on the last Sunday of June.
In 1993, Viktor Tolokonsky became the first mayor elected by the residents.
On May 13, 2000, by decree of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, the Siberian Federal District was formed, the center of which was Novosibirsk.
In 2015, Novosibirsk was awarded the honorary title "City of Military and Labor Glory".
On July 2, 2020, Novosibirsk was awarded the honorary title "City of Labor Valor".
Novosibirsk is located in the southeastern part of the West Siberian
Plain, on both banks of the Ob River. Geographic coordinates of the
city: 55 degrees north latitude, 83 degrees east longitude. At this
latitude there are such cities as Kaliningrad, Moscow, Chelyabinsk,
Omsk. From north to south, from Zaeltsovsky Park to Morskoy Prospekt,
the city stretches for 43 kilometers, from west to east its length is 25
kilometers. There are 1941 streets in the city, while 493 streets bear
names that are found only in Novosibirsk, the total length of which is
The geological features of the urban relief are characterized by the fact that the city and its environs are located on a powerful hard rock foundation, covered with a layer of sedimentary rocks: clay, pebbles, sand. In some places, fragments of the foundation of a tectonic structure, the Tom-Kolyvan fold zone, come to the surface, which form the modern relief. In the second half of the Quaternary period, a slow uplift of the earth's crust began in this territory, which continues to the present. Because of this, earthquakes of small amplitude can occur in the city (strong ones are excluded), with a force of 2-3 points on the Richter scale. The last earthquake on March 19, 2013 was insignificant - less than 2 points.
The structure of the earth's surface is characterized by the location of Novosibirsk on the Ob plateau near the Ob River. The left-bank part has a flat relief, the maximum height is in the area of Karl Marx Square - 151 m. The right-bank part, in turn, is indented by many gullies and ravines belonging to the peripheral part of the Salair Ridge. The maximum height of the right bank is 214 m. A major problem of Novosibirsk is ravine erosion, which occupies an area of about 2 thousand hectares: there are 150 large and small ravines in the city, the development of which is facilitated by economic activity.
Novosibirsk is located in the continental climate zone. The climate
of the city is influenced by its geographical position: since it is
located 3,000 km east of Moscow and 2,000 km west of Ulaanbaatar, its
climate mainly manifests the harsh continentality of the Asian
continent, although the softening effect of the Atlantic is felt. The
flatness of the territory allows both cold waves from the north and heat
waves from the southwest to spread freely. In this regard, both severe
frosts and short-term thaws can be observed in winter.
The longitude of daylight hours at the latitude of Novosibirsk varies from 7 hours 9 minutes during the winter solstice (about December 21) to 17 hours 23 minutes during the summer solstice (about June 21). The average duration of sunshine per year is 2088 hours. For comparison, in Kazan - 1916 hours, in Moscow, located at the same latitude - only 1568 hours. However, there are significant deviations from the norm: 2011 was anomalously "sunny", when the total number of hours of sunshine was 2308. 1972 was the most cloudy - 1691 hours. The minimum values of sunshine fall during the period from November to January, the maximum - in June and July.
For the period 1966-2013, the average annual air temperature in Novosibirsk was +1.3 °C. The city is characterized by large fluctuations in monthly average (38 °C) and absolute (90 °C) air temperatures. The average monthly air temperature in January is −17.7 °C, the average July temperature is 19.3 °C. The absolute minimum was recorded on January 9, 1915 - -51.1 ° C. The absolute maximum on July 12, 2014 is 41.1 °C. Novosibirsk, as a large city, is characterized by such a phenomenon as the formation of a “heat island”, when the temperature on its territory is 1–4 °C higher than in the adjacent territory. Urban areas warm up faster in spring, while city temperatures are 0.7°C warmer in summer.
The average annual rainfall is 460 mm. The annual amounts are formed mainly due to the precipitation of the warm period. Atlantic air reaches Novosibirsk significantly dry, Arctic air contains little moisture, tropical air from the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean rarely penetrates the city, so the total amount of precipitation in Novosibirsk is much lower compared to Kazan (by 30%) and Moscow (by 60%). %) located at the same latitude. The minimum precipitation occurs in February-March (17 mm). The maximum value falls on July - 63 mm. The maximum height of snow cover usually does not exceed 80 cm.
Climatic spring in Novosibirsk usually begins in mid-late March. After about 3 weeks, the destruction of a stable snow cover begins. The duration of spring is 70-75 days. It is characterized by an abundance of sunshine, unstable weather, with an average temperature of 6.8 °C. Spring precipitation averages 13.8% of the annual amount. In April, an average of 24 mm of precipitation falls, in May - 35 mm. Southerly winds prevail, the sky is semi-clear.
Climatic summer usually begins on June 1 and ends at the end of August. The duration of summer is approximately 90 days. The warmest summer month is July (19.4 °C), it is the only month during which negative air temperatures have never been recorded. The average summer temperature is 17.5 °C. In summer, the relative humidity of the air increases, reaching 74% in August. Periods of dryness are very rare (on average no more than 5 days in July and no more than 1 day in other months). The summer months are characterized by an increased amount of precipitation (41.3% of the annual amount). South winds prevail.
Climatic autumn begins at the very end of August, lasts 75-80 days, ending in mid-November. The average temperature is 6.2°C and drops sharply from month to month: from August to September by 6°C, from September to October by almost 8°C. During autumn, an average of 80 mm of precipitation falls in the form of rain and snow. In general, autumn has about 28 rainy days, with solid precipitation - 10 days, mixed - 7. South, southwest and west winds prevail. The end of September is characterized by the so-called period of golden autumn or "Indian summer", when dry and warm weather sets in. During this period, it is already cool at night and in the morning, but daytime temperatures reach 20-25 °C.
Climatic winter in Novosibirsk begins in mid-November and ends in mid-late March. Lasts 120-130 days. Mid-November is characterized by the formation of a stable snow cover, which lies all winter. The three central winter months (December-February) have an average air temperature around and below −15°C, while the coldest month is January −16.5°C. The border months (November and March) are twice as warm. South and southwest winds prevail.
Novosibirsk is in the MSK+4 time zone. The offset of the applicable
time from UTC is +7:00. In accordance with the applied time and
geographic longitude, the average solar noon in Novosibirsk occurs at
In 1924-1956, the official border between the 5th and 6th time zones ran along the left bank of the Ob at a distance of about 10 km from the river and crossed the railway between the former Tolmachevo stations (now the city of Ob) - it was the 5th zone - and Krivoshchekovo (6th belt). From March 1, 1957, the border of the 6th time zone, where the time MSK + 4 (UTC + 7) was used, began to pass along the western border of the Novosibirsk region.
On May 23, 1993, the Novosibirsk Region switched to MSK + 3 time (in summer, instead of UTC + 8, UTC + 7 began to operate, in winter - instead of UTC + 7, UTC + 6 began to operate).
From March 27, 2011 to October 25, 2014, the time in Novosibirsk was always UTC + 7, and from October 26, 2014 to July 23, 2016 - UTC + 6, the difference with Moscow was 3 hours.
On July 24, 2016, the Novosibirsk region returned to the MSK + 4 time zone (UTC + 7).
One of the largest rivers in the world, the Ob, flows through
Novosibirsk. It is a typical flat river. Its width within the city is
750-850 m, and its depth is up to 3 m or more. It usually freezes in
November and opens in early May, but its water regime is regulated by
the discharge of water from the reservoir. Below the dam of the
Novosibirsk hydroelectric power station, a polynya 20-30 kilometers long
is observed in winter. Within the city limits, the largest right
tributary of the Ob is the Inya River. Other tributaries - Eltsovka 1st,
Eltsovka 2nd, Zyryanka, Kamenka, Eltsovka, Plyushchikha, Tula, Pashenka
- within the city are shallow and significantly polluted.
Kamenka, 24 kilometers long, originates in the area of the village of Leninsky on the territory of the Novosibirsk region; flows into the Ob near the old railway bridge. On the territory of the city, the river is removed into a reinforced concrete collector with a length of about 5 km, and its channel is washed out with sand. Plyushchikha, 12 km long, flows into the river Inya. Eltsovka 1st is the shortest of all water bodies in the city. Its length is 6.5 km. The drainage basin is located entirely within the city. The Tula flows in the left-bank part of Novosibirsk and is the most polluted river in the city. The main polluters are the largest city enterprises. Eltsovka 2nd flows through the territory of the Kalininsky, Zaeltsovsky districts in the north-eastern part of Novosibirsk.
From the south, the city is adjoined by the Novosibirsk Reservoir (Ob Sea), created in 1957. Its area is 1070 km², the maximum width is 18 km, the length is 185 km, the maximum depth is 25 m. The thickness of the ice on the reservoir sometimes reaches 100-150 cm. In summer, the water warms up to 20-23 degrees.
The presence of a large river, with a wide valley that cuts the city into two parts, largely predetermined the nature of the development and use of the territory and gave rise to the problem of the connectivity of parts of the city. The insufficient number of bridges and their carrying capacity characterize the general state of underdevelopment of the transport infrastructure of Novosibirsk.
The main sources of polluting emissions into the atmosphere: vehicle
exhaust gases - 66%, industry - 4.5%, municipal boilers (4%), private
sector. The air is polluted with: carbon dioxide, benzapyrene, nitrogen
dioxide and fluoride, phenol, ammonia, formaldehyde.
The environmental situation is aggravated by the discharge of waste by industrial enterprises into the rivers Inya and Ob.
So far, there is only 1 plant in Novosibirsk that accepts MSW.
Ecologists see solutions to the problems that have arisen in: the opening of waste processing plants; equipment of industrial enterprises with cleaning plants; transition of boiler houses to another type of fuel; ban on deforestation.
In Novosibirsk, gasification of the private sector has been included in the urban development plan. It turned out that chimney emissions pollute the air no less than all the city's thermal power plants. It is planned to transfer communal boiler houses and public transport to gas fuel. In 2022, a project was developed to green the city and lay eco-trails.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms is a heraldic shield, in the green and silver field beveled on the left side of which there is an azure left band, bordered with silver on the right, and on top of everything there is a thread-like belt, torn apart by the bandage and closed by a golden half-ring attached on top (a stylized image of the bridge across the Ob). The shield is crowned with a gold tower crown with five visible three-pointed teeth. Shield holders - black sables with scarlet (red) tongues, silver noses, throats and claws; the ears of sables inside are also silver. The foot is a wavy cut green, azure and silver ribbon with a silver thread separating green and azure; in the middle on the foot is a scarlet bow on top of two black, with scarlet tips and plumage, overturned arrows.
The black and silver thin belt on the shield of the coat of arms symbolizes the Trans-Siberian Railway. The number of teeth on the crown determines the status of the settlement, emphasizing that Novosibirsk is a regional center. Sable, bow and arrows are borrowed from the historical coat of arms of Siberia.
The flag of the city of Novosibirsk is a panel divided diagonally from the upper right to the lower left corner by a blue band with white waves. The top left field of the flag is green. The lower right margin of the flag is white. The colors of the flag are borrowed from the city coat of arms and mean: green field - health, natural resources of Siberia, white field - purity and snow of Siberia. The blue band with white waves is the Ob River, on which the city stands. The ratio of the flag's width to its length is 2:3.
In addition, a variant of the flag can be used - the so-called national flag: it differs from the official one in that the city coat of arms is located in the upper right corner.