Ostashkov, Russia

Ostashkov is located in the Tver region on the shore of Lake Seliger. Many people come here for the beautiful Central Russian landscapes, but the city itself is of considerable interest for its historical buildings, even if they are in a deplorable state.

Ostashkov is located on a peninsula in the southern part of Seliger. Traditionally, the history of the city dates back to the 14th century, when chronicles mention Klichen, a border town of the Moscow principality on the coastal island of the same name. After one of the devastations, it was transferred to the nearest shore and called Ostashkovskaya Sloboda - according to legend, in honor of the only survivor, whose name was Evstafiy (Ostashko). A little later, another settlement appeared nearby, Timofeevskaya. In the 16th century, the Ostashkovskaya settlement went into the possession of the Joseph-Volotsky monastery near Moscow, and the Timofeevskaya settlement went directly to the Moscow metropolitan. A native of Ostashkov, one of the first Russian mathematicians, Leonty Magnitsky, in his youth, transported fish from Ostashkov to the owner’s monastery, where they noticed his talents.

By the end of the 16th century, capital fortifications were built around the settlements, and they themselves began to consolidate into a trading city. However, formally Ostashkov received city status only in 1770, along with a coat of arms depicting three fish. Although trade was still the main source of wealth, fishing was also important for the city located on the lake. In addition, he helped the development of crafts: for example, the need of fishermen for durable and comfortable shoes contributed to the development of the leather industry.

Also, along with city status and the coat of arms, Ostashkov also receives a regular general plan - with wide and almost perfectly straight streets. After this, large-scale stone construction began; it was the buildings of the second half of the 18th and early 19th centuries that still remain the most colorful and impressive in the city. Then Ostashkov begins to become poor, but still tries to be a progressive city. In 1805, a theater appeared here, and in 1843 - a volunteer fire brigade: both of these events were quite extraordinary for the county town of that time. By the middle of the 19th century, the prosperity had finally ceased; practically nothing outstanding has been built in Ostashkov since then. During the Great Patriotic War, the city was not occupied (and, as a result, did not suffer much), but it did not remain aloof from military events, since the front line was very close.

During Soviet times, Ostashkov and Seliger became centers of recreational and sports tourism, which they remain to this day. In the vicinity of the city there are many tourist centers and boarding houses offering outdoor recreation, hunting and fishing. These places are also popular with sports tourists, as well as camping enthusiasts. Many houses in the city and villages, along the banks of lakes and rivers, belong to residents of large cities who come here for the summer. Because of this, the service sector for a city of this size is well developed, but there is a downside - prices are quite high for the province. The part of Ostashkov not connected with tourism is in deep decline. In post-Soviet times, the population has almost halved, and there is a lot of destruction on the streets; The situation is especially bad with the condition of historical buildings.

The regular layout is preserved in Ostashkov to this day. The entire peninsula seems to be lined with lines intersecting at right angles, and with rare exceptions there are streets running from north to south, and alleys from east to west. This diagram serves as a reminder that the historical core of the city is located in the northeast of the peninsula.



Ostashkov has a very complete historical development, mainly dating back to the 19th century. Wooden and stone houses of a similar style (usually with a mezzanine) occupy entire streets in the city center, and their location by the lake and a large number of trees give them a special charm. Unfortunately, many buildings are in extremely disrepair. The most notable Ostashkov buildings are located on Leninsky Prospekt, Volodarsky Street and in the adjacent lanes (north of Sporta Lane).

The main attractions of the city from south to north:
1  Znamensky Monastery, st. Workers' town (just south of the city center). Known since the 17th century, although the oldest buildings that have reached us are noticeably younger (mid-18th century). First of all, the monastery is a fortress walls: nice, but a little decorative. The Ascension Cathedral (often referred to as Znamensky, after the name of the monastery) was built around the same time (in 1742) and was rebuilt several times. The reconstruction was especially extensive after the fire of 1868, when the cathedral acquired the features of the eclecticism that was dominant at that time. Inside, pay attention to the sculpture of St. Nile of Stolobensky, unexpected for an Orthodox church - the founder of the Nile Hermitage is traditionally depicted in exactly this form. Most of the monastery is built up with wooden pre-revolutionary cells, some of which have already been lost, but the density of the remaining ones is impressive. During Soviet times, the territory of the monastery was occupied for some time by a garment factory, hence the name “working town.” The monastery is no longer active, but the cathedral was returned to believers back in the 1940s.
2  Fire station, Sovetsky lane. 17. Ostashkov, which is predominantly wooden, has survived several grandiose fires in its lifetime. In 1843, to prevent them, a voluntary fire brigade was selected from the city residents, becoming the first in Russia. Unfortunately, this did not prevent another large-scale fire from occurring in 1868; including the old wooden fire station that burned down. The new fire station was built of brick, but with an elegant wooden tower. The window openings on the second floor and on the tower itself are especially impressive.
3  Bell tower of the Church of the Transfiguration , Freedom Park. The Church of the Transfiguration was built in 1774 on the burial site of soldiers who died during the Polish-Lithuanian intervention of 1608. The church itself was demolished in the 1930s, but its elaborate and richly detailed bell tower (1789) in the Baroque style has been preserved. In Soviet times, a clock was installed on it, and since then the bell tower has taken on the role of a clock tower (even if it looks a little neglected), and one might not immediately think about its ecclesiastical origin. There is a park around the bell tower - and before the revolution, this place was the central city square.
4  Evstafievskaya street. One of the central streets of historical Ostashkov is distinguished by the fact that most of the houses on it were resettled and abandoned several years ago; the street itself also quickly fell into disrepair. When putting things in order, they decided not to limit themselves to half measures and to make improvements according to modern standards. The result is a surprising combination of crumbling houses and new urban objects like strange benches and fashionable tiles.
5  Valsky Pillar, corner of the street. Volodarsky and lane. Adrianova. Baroque obelisk on the site where the main city gate used to be. During the redevelopment of the city in the regular style, the city ramparts, which had become unnecessary, were torn down, but the city residents, grateful for the many years of protection, erected three obelisks for them in 1785, one of which has survived to this day. The shape and decor of the pillar echoes the bell tower of the Church of the Transfiguration.
6  House of Mitin artists, st. Volodarsky, 32. A three-story mansion with Ionic columns is one of the most impressive houses in the city, and also unlike all the others. According to the widespread version, the house belonged to the Mitin dynasty of artists, which is not surprising for Ostashkov. In the 18th and 19th centuries, creative professions were very common in the city; Ostashkov artists actively worked in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
7  Resurrection Cathedral , st. Volodarsky, 5. A complex of two cathedrals and two bell towers is the heart of historical Ostashkov. Two churches standing next to each other usually mean that one of them is “summer” and the other is “winter”, but in Ostashkov everything is more interesting and goes back to the times when the city consisted of two settlements, and each had its own owner. The Resurrection Cathedral, the first stone church in the city, belonged to the monastery. This is a five-domed temple, originally built in 1689 in the pattern-making style by Yaroslavl craftsmen. Later, due to numerous reconstructions and additions, it acquired classicist features. Wall paintings made at the end of the 18th century have been preserved. Nearby is a tented bell tower, which, on the contrary, has retained its original appearance. In recent years, a concert hall has been located within the walls of the temple, and you can only get inside during concerts.
8  Trinity Cathedral, st. Pechatnikova, 4 (next to Voskresensky). It was built in 1697 by the Patriarchal Settlement just a few years later than its neighbor by the same Yaroslavl craftsmen, but, unlike it, it retained its original appearance. Inside the cathedral, pay special attention to the stucco work of the 18th century; there are also paintings from the same time (but worse than in the Resurrection Cathedral). The bell tower was probably erected in the 1760s. It is taller and more voluminous than the bell tower of the Resurrection Cathedral and was built in a completely different style, having little in common with ancient Russian architecture. Now the cathedral houses part of the exhibition of the local history museum, and you can climb the bell tower during the museum’s opening hours; It offers excellent views of the city and lake.
9  Vivode’s House (Town Hall), st. Pechatnikova, 7 (opposite the Trinity Cathedral). The oldest residential building in Ostashkov. Built in the early 18th century, it is traditionally considered the voivode's house or town hall, although it may have simply been the home of one of the city's wealthy residents. A harsh one-story building in the spirit of chambers, but with large windows and light that is reminiscent of the mezzanines that became widespread in Ostashkov a century later.
10  Zhitenny Bogoroditsky Monastery. Located at the northern tip of Ostashkov, on a former island, connected to the city by a dam since the 19th century. The monastery was founded in 1716 around a temple built for the city shrine - the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God. The main temple of the monastery, the Smolensk Cathedral, was built in 1743 in transitional forms from patterned to baroque, but was beheaded in Soviet times (the bell tower in the style of the Toropets churches was preserved). The light and graceful gate church of St. John the Evangelist and St. Andrew the First-Called was built in 1767 and belongs to the Baroque without any reservations. The monastery walls and cell buildings of the 18th century have also been preserved. Recently, the monastery has been operating as a monastery (although it was originally a monastery), active restoration is underway, and many new buildings have been built around it. From the shore of the lake at the entrance there is an excellent view of the city.
11  Klichen Island. An island with a forest park north of Ostashkov, connected to the city by a bridge. The closest place to the city where you can see Seliger nature: pine forests surrounded by endless expanses of water, and here this nature is quite well-groomed. Also on the island there are the remains of an ancient settlement and monuments from the times of the revolution and the Great Patriotic War. Driving is prohibited; parking is available at the Zhitenny Monastery.


Things to do

Ostashkov and its surroundings are primarily conducive to activities related to nature: fishing, walks in the forest, picking berries and mushrooms, hunting, water tourism.

1  Museum of Local Lore , st. Pechatnikova, 4 (Trinity Cathedral). ☎ +7 (48235) 5-16-46. Wed–Sat 11:00–18:00, Sun 11:00–17:00. 100 rub. Classic local history museum. You can climb the bell tower of the cathedral. There is also an exhibition hall on the street. Volodarsky.
2  Museum of Forgotten Things and more  , st. Volodarsky, 29. Thu–Sat 11:00–16:00. A large collection of currently unused retro items; it is claimed that the exhibition is decorated in a steampunk style.
3  Art Gallery (Municipal Art Museum)  , st. Gorkogo, 32 (Yubileiny cultural center, Kozhzavod stop). ☎ +7 (48235) 5-25-58. Tue–Sat 11:00–17:00. Paintings by local artists.
4  Beach (near the Zhitenny Monastery). The main city beach is nice and clean, but without much infrastructure.


Festivals and holidays

✦  Festival of amateur theaters of the Tver region “Theater meetings” (April).
✦  Musical evenings on Seliger (June-July).
✦  Russian sails on Seliger  (July).
✦  Seliger fishmonger (July-August).


How to get there

By train
Ostashkov is located on the picturesque line of the historical Bologoe-Polotsk railway, where wooden stations, locomotive pumps and even a train system have been preserved, but there are almost no trains. In summer, once a week there is a direct train from St. Petersburg with trailer cars from Moscow and other cities. The rest of the time you need to go with a change at Bologoye or Velikiye Luki stations.

The path through Bologoye is more convenient and also more interesting. There are many trains on the Moscow-St. Petersburg line, including high-speed ones, and then you need to adapt to the suburban train running once a day to Ostashkov. On Saturdays (also on Sundays in the summer), a retro train of two cars and a steam locomotive is put on this route; along the way, an oral tour from the head of the train is offered, as well as a 20-minute tour of the station complex of Kuzhenkino station (only on the way to Ostashkov). Travel time is about 3 hours, tickets can be bought at the railway ticket office at Bologoye station, as well as directly on the train, the price is the same as in a regular commuter train (288 rubles one way). As a pleasant everyday bonus, there are toilets, titanium with hot water in the carriages and the sale of simple food along the way. In Ostashkov the train stops for 2 hours, it is absolutely impossible to explore the city during this time, but taking a retro train there or back, combining the trip with an independent exploration of the city, is a good option. Details are available on the excursion route website.

With Velikiye Luki everything is similar, but from Moscow and St. Petersburg you need to go there by night train, and then another 5.5 hours by suburban and already the most ordinary one - a steam locomotive does not go here. The Suburban goes through Toropets, which you can try to connect into one trip with Ostashkov, although this will take at least three days, since the train runs only once a day.

1  Railway station, Privokzalnaya st. (southern outskirts of the city). The newly renovated station has a waiting room (9:00–18:00), but otherwise it is empty, and even the ticket offices are closed (for local trains, tickets must be purchased directly on the train). A little more life at the nearby bus station, where there is a buffet. There is also a food stall on the station square; The nearest supermarket is 10 minutes on foot or one bus stop. The station building is post-war, but many other elements of the station have been preserved from the 1900s, the time of construction of the Bologoe-Polotsk railway: a water tower with cladding made of wild stone, a locomotive pump, a brick-built kerosene cellar and an unexpectedly luxuriously decorated retreat, that is, simply speaking, station toilet.

From the station to the center it is 3 km, you can take local buses No. 1 and 3 in the direction of Kozhzavod. Please note that bus number 3 also goes in the other direction, stopping at a separate stop behind the station square - you need the one that is located on the square itself.

By bus
Ostashkov has a good bus connection with Tver - several buses a day and private minibuses about once every two hours. All these buses pass through Torzhok. The journey by buses from Tver is 4 hours, from Torzhok - 3 hours, minibuses - about an hour faster.

The fastest way from Moscow is by Lastochka to Tver and then by bus, but there are also direct buses (from Khovrino): 4 times a day, the journey takes 6-7 hours. They go through Zubtsov, Rzhev and Selizharovo; Volokolamsk passes without stopping.

Bus service with St. Petersburg is irregular. There are no buses to the Novgorod region, Firovo and Vyshny Volochyok.

Traditionally, for the Tver region, buses are divided between the official bus station and the stops of the Autoexpress company, and this logic is not always obvious and changes periodically. As of the summer of 2021, large buses to Tver and commuter routes depart from the bus station, and minibuses to Tver depart from Autoexpress stops; minibuses go to Moscow both here and there. When purchasing an Autoexpress ticket via the Internet, it is usually not written anywhere where the bus departs from: you will have to call and ask.

2  Bus station, Privokzalnaya st. 14 (southern outskirts of the city, next to the station). ☎ +7 (48235) 5-05-41. Mon–Sat 6:00–19:00, Sun 6:00–18:00. Place of arrival and departure of buses. There is a buffet, toilet, waiting room, and a grocery store about fifty meters away. City buses board on the opposite side of the square.
3  Stop “Hotel Seliger”, Microdistrict, 5. ☎ +7 (904) 022-88-82. The departure point of some minibuses to Tver. There is no private infrastructure here other than a ticket office (on the contrary, bus passengers are asked not to sit in the hotel lobby), but there is a fairly busy shopping area around, including Dixie and Magnit stores.
4  Stop “Rechnoy Vokzal”, Leninsky Prospekt 41. ☎ +7 (904) 000-85-35. 4:40–19:30. This stop works in tandem with the previous one: for most minibuses it is the starting or ending stop, but some, on the contrary, don’t even stop at it. The ticket office is located in the river station building, and the stop itself is on the other side of the street, in an alley. There is no infrastructure like a waiting room at this stop either.

By car
Highway 28K-1785 connects Ostashkov with Torzhok (127 km), and then via M10 with Tver (189 km), Moscow (360 km), St. Petersburg (600 km). The asphalt on it is generally of good quality; as of the summer of 2021, there is a problem area in front of Ostashkov itself.

28K-1179 leads to Rzhev (140 km), from where you can also take the M9 to Moscow (390 km). This route is slightly longer than the previous one, but may be faster due to fewer settlements on the route.

The road to St. Petersburg through Svapusche, Molvotitsy, Demyansk, Yazhelbitsy and further along the M10 is shorter than the route through Torzhok (470 km), and most likely will be faster, but the quality of the road is noticeably worse, including a dirt section between Svapusche and Molvotitsami.

Most of Seliger's attractions are inaccessible by public transport, so having a car will be a big plus when traveling to Ostashkov.

On the ship
There are no scheduled ships on Lake Seliger - except for the ferry to the closed island of Gorodomlya, where you are not allowed to go without an invitation from a tourist center or a local resident. The walking traffic is quite active. In addition to the official pier, there are also many advertisements from private owners posted around the city.

5  River Station (Ostashkov Pier), Leninsky Prospekt, 41. ☎ +7 (48235) 5–15–68. Pleasure and excursion boats on Lake Seliger, including scheduled mass excursions.
6  Pier “Chaikin Bereg”, lane. Chaikin coast. Ferry crossing to Gorodomlya island.


Transport around the city

There are two city bus routes in Ostashkov - No. 1 and No. 3. Both of them go together from the center (Rechnoy Vokzal, Kozhzavod stops) to the station, where bus No. 1 has a terminus, and the “troika” goes further to the eastern outskirts. Buses run from approximately 6:00 to 20:30, an interval of about 20 minutes, the schedule is in the Tver Volga transport mobile application, on Yandex maps, inside the buses and occasionally at stops. The fare is 22 rubles. cash, 20 rub. according to the map (2022). Most of the buses on the route are of low capacity.

Although by 2022 the situation with roads and sidewalks in the city has become noticeably better, impassable or impassable places still occur, especially outside the central streets. Trying to navigate side streets is often like playing a lottery.



Tourists often bring gifts of nature from Ostashkov as souvenirs. Mostly they are collected or caught with your own hands, but fish, as well as berries and mushrooms, can also be bought in the city. Fish is sold mainly hot smoked; in addition to the usual types, eels are often offered. However, not all fish sold in markets is local - there are also obviously imported species.

There are quite a lot of grocery stores in the city. There are both supermarkets of large chains and small shops with a counter. There are also several shops with goods for fishing and hunting.

1  Central Market, Microdistrict (behind the Seliger Hotel). Active in the first half of the day.



1  Cafe “Pelmeshka”, Leninsky Prospekt, 120. Mon–Sat 9:00–19:00. Something between a cafe and a canteen, excellent reviews.
2  Cafe “Old Town”, st. Volodarsky, 152. 9:00–21:00.
3 “Soviet Cookery”, Leninsky Prospekt, 35-37 (near the River Station). Mon–Sat 10:00–19:00, Sun 10:00–17:00. Simple meat dishes, inexpensive baked goods and salads. The name is emphasized by portraits of leaders and propaganda posters on the walls.
4 “Tavern” dining room, Zagorodnaya street, 5. 9:00–20:00. from 250-300 rub. for lunch. The self-service canteen is suitable for tourists in a hurry; there are farm products available. The reviews are positive.
5  Cafe “Skazka”, Zagorodnaya street, 15. 7:00–23:00. There is a large selection of baked goods, but there is also more substantial food.

Average cost
6  Cafe “Juice”, Leninsky Prospect, 61. ☎ +7 (48235) 5-11-54. 11:00–23:00. Family cafe, no strong alcohol. The place is popular, the reviews are positive. There is a menu on the website.
7  Shavarma’s Cafe, Kalinina Ave., 17. 10:00 – 22:00. Fast food, including shawarma, as the name suggests. The visitors are happy.
8  Cafe “Centro del gusto”, Sovetsky lane, 2. 9:00–22:00. average bill from 350 rub.
9  Cafe-restaurant “Ostashkoff”, Leninsky Prospekt, 102A. 9:00–22:00. average bill 400 rub. Reviews are mixed, with complaints about small portions and long waits. Good beer from our own brewery. Entrance to the cafe from the courtyard.

10  Restaurant “Ukha”  , st. Rudinskaya, 2 (on the embankment). ☎ +7 (48235) 5-09-26. 10:00–22:00, Sat–Sun 10:00–00:00. The website has a slightly outdated menu. Here you can try Seliger fish soup and Seliger fish soup, and buy fish-shaped gingerbread.

Coffee shops
11  Coffee XVIII century  , Leninsky Prospekt, opposite house 56. 9:00 – 19:00. The coffee shop is located right in the monastery tower, which creates a certain ambience. True, the tower is too small for there to be seating - you can only take the drink with you, and they prepare it rather leisurely. There are other branches around the city, no longer in places dating back to the 18th century.



In many hotels, the price during the season (May/July - August/September, depending on the hotel) is noticeably higher than in the off-season. If there is a difference, prices in the off-season and season are listed as a fraction. In addition, during the season it makes sense to book hotels in advance (almost all of them are presented in booking systems or have a booking service on the website).

1  Hotel “Ashkhen”, st. Zagorodnaya, 26B. ✉ ☎ +7 (48235) 5-39-94, +7 (906) 555-20-06. Single: from 1000 rubles, double: from 2000 rubles. There is a restaurant and Wi-Fi. Guests complain that on weekends the restaurant plays loud music until late.
2  Guest house “Beregovaya”, st. Orlovsky, 10. ✉ ☎ +7 (48235) 5-71-69, +7 (980) 624-85-55. Double: from 1500/2000 rub. Rooms for 1-2 people with private facilities. There is a restaurant, Wi-Fi, sauna. Good feedback.
3  Hotel “Love”, lane. Chaykin, 2. ☎ +7 (903) 806-05-46. Double: from 1500/1800 rub. There is Wi-Fi, a sauna, bicycle and boat rental.
4  Hotel “Orlovskaya”, st. Orlovsky, 1. ✉ ☎ +7 (910) 830-05-15. Double room from 1500/2000 rub. Rooms with amenities. There is a cafe, sauna, boat rental.
5  Hotel “Nautilus”, st. Rabochaya, 17. ☎ +7 (48235) 5-20-99. There is a cafe and Wi-Fi.
6  Apart-hotel SDL, st. Volodarsky, 187B. ☎ +7 (48235) 5-49-83, +7 (915) 704-45-98. From 2800 rub. Apartment-type rooms: there are entire apartments, and there are just double rooms with a built-in kitchen.
7  Recreation center “Timofeevskaya Estate”  , st. Timofeevskaya, 43. ✉ ☎ +7 (903) 964-93-93. Double room: from 2500 rub. Rooms with private facilities in wooden houses - even the inside walls are lined with wood. There is Wi-Fi and bike rental.
8  Hotel “Trest”, st. Uritsky, 51. ☎ +7 (48235) 5-11-28, +7 (915) 704-45-98. The hotel advertises itself under the slogan “Cheap and comfortable,” although it would probably be more correct to say “Cheap and cheerful.” This is a Soviet hostel: tiny single rooms with amenities in the hallway and a single “suite” with amenities in the room. However, guests note that despite the obvious lack of comfort, it is cozy here, there is a shared kitchen and a nice living room.
9  Hotel complex “Epos”, Leninsky pr. 136. ✉ ☎ +7 (48235) 5-51-66, +7 (48235) 5-14-99. Single/double: 2200/3000 rub. There is Wi-Fi, a restaurant, bike rental.
An alternative to hotels can be camp sites and boarding houses, of which there are many in the vicinity of Ostashkov. Usually they are located on the banks of lakes or rivers, equipped with a bathhouse, their own beach and rental points for fishing and sports equipment; many also offer transfers from Ostashkov.

10 “Beach houses”, st. Uritskogo, 2. Rooms: from 3000 rubles, cottage: 6000-7000 rubles. This is a suburban option right within the city: rooms with amenities and a built-in kitchen, as well as separate cottages for 6 people - all right on the lake and at the same time a 5-minute walk from the center of Ostashkov. Prices are appropriate.


Security questions

Tap water in the city is not of the best quality, it is definitely not suitable for drinking, and sometimes it can also be unpleasant to wash.



The city is located on the shore of the southern part of Lake Seliger, 190 km from Tver.



The city has been known since the XIV century. In the letter of the Lithuanian prince Olgerd to the Patriarch of Constantinople Philotheus, dated 1371, Klichen was mentioned, namely, as a border town of Lithuania, captured by the Grand Duchy of Moscow. The city was located on the island of the same name on Seliger. Klichen also figured in the "List of Russian cities far and near." In 1393 Klichen was captured and burned by Novgorodians. According to another version, the chronicle sources reflect the raid on another settlement called Klichen. According to a local legend, after the defeat of the town, the only inhabitant of Klichen survived, the fisherman Eustathius (Ostashko), who moved to the neighboring peninsula south of Klichen - the town got its name from the fisherman.

In the 15th-18th centuries, Klichen-Ostashkov was the center of the Klichan volost, which belonged to the Rzhev principality and the Rzhevsky district. The settlement consisted of two settlements that belonged to the Joseph Volotsk monastery and the Moscow metropolitan. In 1587, a prison was built in the Ostashkovsky settlements and a voivode was imprisoned. During the Time of Troubles, in 1610, the Poles were unable to take the city fortifications, but significantly devastated the surroundings. In 1651-1653, a new prison was built, which existed until 1676. The third fortress stood until the devastating fire in 1711 and was never renewed.

In 1772-1775 - Ostashkovskaya Sloboda became the center of the Ostashkovsky district of the Tver province of the Novgorod province, formed from part of the lands of the Rzhevsky district. In 1775, the city and the district were transferred to the Tver governorate (from 1776 - the Tver province). During the redevelopment of county towns in the 18th century, it was the new layout of Ostashkov that was taken as an exemplary one for other county towns of the Russian Empire (as in 1763, the new regular layout of Tver was recognized as the benchmark for provincial towns). In the 19th century, Ostashkov was considered an advanced district town, as there were among the first in Russia a hospital, folk and religious schools, a library, a theater, boulevards, an educational institution, a school for girls, a city garden and a brass band, cobblestone streets, a voluntary public fire brigade. In 1929-1935 Ostashkov was part of the Western Region, from 1935 to 1990 - the Kalinin Region.

During the Great Patriotic War, the city was not occupied by Nazi troops, but until 1943 it was in close proximity to the front line. The supply of the front and the city was entrusted to the lake flotilla. The ships and the city were constantly bombarded by the Luftwaffe. In October 1941, after the Germans seized the village of Selizharovo, the ships were brought into the Krapivnya River, camouflaged and prepared for detonation. However, the German offensive on Ostashkov was repulsed. In the spring of 1942, during ice drift and spring floods, the ships of the flotilla were almost crushed by ice. The next navigation used routes that were previously considered non-navigable. The city had a power plant, hospitals, a bakery and workshops. The tannery was evacuated to Kazakhstan. All vacated premises were used as warehouses. In January 1943, the front line was pulled away from the city. By that time, all the evacuated enterprises had returned to Ostashkov.

On January 12, 1965, the Selizharovsky district was recreated.