Pokrovsk, Russia

 

Pokrovsk (Yakut. Pokrovskay) - a city, the administrative center of the Khangalassky ulus of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), forms the urban settlement of the city of Pokrovsk.

 

Etymology

Founded in 1682 by the Cossacks as a fortification of the Karaulny Cape, where the Pokrovskaya Hermitage was discovered, which belonged to the Yakutsk Monastery. In the 1720s it was transformed into an independent monastery, later the village of Pokrovskoye, since 1941 the working settlement of Pokrovsk, in 1997 it received the status of a city.

 

Geography

A city on the left bank of the Lena River, 78 km south-west of Yakutsk.

 

History

Before the arrival of the Russians, there was a guard post of Tygyn Darkhan in the place where the city is now located. A wide panorama of the river opened up from a high cape, and the movement along the river up and down the stream was clearly visible. The area was called Horuol tumus (Yakut. Horuol tumu“Ľa) - Guard Cape

The city was founded in 1682, in which the last uprising of the Khangalass Yakuts against the Cossacks took place. Driven to despair by the exorbitant extortions of the royal governors, they opposed them with weapons in their hands. At the head of the insurgents was the Duke of Diennik. After the defeat of the rebels on October 1 (11), Pokrov Day, the troops of the voivode Ivan Priklonsky installed a large wooden cross on a high guard cape, named Pokrovsky.

In 1703, part of the hermits of the Spassky Monastery from Yakutsk moved to a new place and founded a kind of branch of the monastery, called the Pokrovskaya Hermitage. In 1720 a church was built here. In 1724 the desert burned down. Several families of Russian peasants settled in its place.

The settlement then became the coach station of the Prilensky tract. In 1787 a second church was built in Pokrovsk, which gave it the status of a village.

In 1821, a new two-story church building of unique architecture was built. The high belfry and the gilded cross were visible even from the mouth of Buotama. Built by craftsmen from thick pine logs melted from the upper reaches of the Lena, the church building stood for 139 years until it was dismantled in 1960. In 1850 a post station was opened in Pokrovsk. A typical building was built, which stood until the 80s of the last century, in which in the last years of his life the old-timer of Pokrovsk N.A.Naumov lived.

In 1870, at the expense of the merchant Shestakov from Yakutsk, a brick building of the Church of the Transfiguration was built. The merchant donated money in the hope of alleviating the plight of his only son, who, as a student in St. Petersburg, joined the Social Democrats and was arrested. In 1887, a parish school was opened in Pokrovsk, in a church building. The first teacher was the priest Neverov.

In 1895, Pokrovsk became the volost center of the Prilensk peasants-coachmen, uniting 20 stations from Tabaga to Sanyyakhtaakh. After 10 years, the parish was downsized, leaving 10 stations behind Pokrovskoe from Batamay to Tabaga. It was a small village, where there were a dozen peasant households, the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos and the Transfiguration, the nunnery of Saints Zosima and Savvaty, a post station.

 

In 1931, Pokrovsk became the administrative center of the West Kangalassky region, which was later renamed Ordzhonikidzevsky, now Khangalassky. In 1941 it received the status of an urban-type settlement. On September 26, 1997 the status of the city was awarded.

Since the 80s of the XIX century, exiled populists, Socialist-Revolutionaries, Social Democrats have been here: M. Chkheidze, V. Iokhelson, S. Kotikov, G. Lisenkov, A. Gromov, A. Borchaninov and many others. In 1916-1917 Sergo Ordzhonikidze was exiled here.

In the 19th century, Pokrovsk was visited by Russian writers Ivan Goncharov, author of the novels "Oblomov" and "Frigate Pallada"; Vladimir Korolenko, who described in his stories "The Sovereign Coachmen", "At-Daban" the life and customs of local coachmen; famous traveler, author of the book "A Trip to Yakutsk" Nikolai Shchukin; writer, ethnographer Vaclav Seroshevsky, author of the famous fundamental work "Yakuts" and many others.