Spas-Klepiki, Russia

Spas-Klepiki is located in the Ryazan region. A small town with a population of about 5 thousand people is located in Ryazan Meshchera, on the Sovka and Pre rivers. The distance from the regional center is about 70 km in a northeast direction.

A few travelers come to the city to visit the Meshchersky National Park, for example, for tourist rafting along the rivers of the NP. As an option, it is possible to build a route from Konstantinovo (60 km along the road), associated with S. Yesenin’s childhood.



In Spas-Klepiki there are a number of museums: wooden architecture, military and labor glory, and a branch of the Sergei Yesenin Museum-Reserve.
In honor of the 50th anniversary of the victory in the Great Patriotic War, the L-29 combat training aircraft was installed on a pedestal in the city park.
In the city there is a monument to the Hero of the Soviet Union, a native of the Klepikovsky district, Trofim Trofimovich Pukov.
A number of stone buildings from the 19th century have been preserved, including the building of the church and teachers' school, where Sergei Yesenin studied.
Bust of Sergei Yesenin on Prosveshcheniya Street and near the school building where the poet studied.
The city of Spas-Klepiki is mentioned in numerous stories by Konstantin Paustovsky. Among them are “Traffic Conversations”, “Meshchera Side”, “Australian from Pilevo Station” and others.
The city is the birthplace of the Russian metal band Kuvalda.
The only monument to a blowtorch in the Ryazan region was erected in Spas-Klepiki. Its opening took place on July 15, 2023.


How to get there

By car
Two regional roads P123 Ryazan-Spas-Klepiki, as well as P105 Moscow-Egoryevsk-Kasimov, converge in the city.

By bus
There are bus routes from Moscow to Spas-Klepiki from the Shchelkovsky bus station. There is a bus service with Shatura and Ryazan.

1  Bus station, st. Prosveshcheniya, 14a.



The city is home to textile and knitting, cotton (closed as of 2016) and clothing factories, shoe production, and the production of plumbing hoses. A plant for the production of plastic windows is being built. A branch of the Ryazan Tyazhpressmash plant is also located here. Peat and timber are mined in forest areas near the city.



The filming of the film “Graffiti” (dir. Igor Apasyan), 2006, took place in the city of Spas-Klepiki.


Spas-Klepiki and literature

Paustovsky K. G., story “Traffic Conversations” 1943 “The town of Spas-Klepiki is very small and quiet. He got lost somewhere in the Meshcherskaya side, among pine trees, sands, small reedy lakes...”



The city of Spas-Klepiki has been known since the 16th century as the village of Klepikovo on the Kasimovsky tract, which was part of the Staroryazan camp of the Ryazan (Pereyaslav-Ryazan) district. The name “Klepikovo” comes from the ancient name for a knife for cleaning fish - “klepika”. After the opening of the Church of the Transfiguration, the village received a second name - Spasskoye. At the beginning of the 20th century, the names were combined.

In the second half of the 17th century, the village became famous as a trading center with a linen factory. In the 1730s. belonged to the Moscow merchant of the first guild Nikolai Pankratievich Ryumin, then it was transferred to the treasury. In the 1750s The village was owned by Lieutenant Colonel, Prince Grigory Patrikeevich Kildishev, the second husband of N.P. Ryumin’s stepmother, Maria Sidorovna (nee Tomilina). In the 1790s, the village belonged to Lieutenant Colonel Anna Petrovna Poltoratskaya (née Khlebnikova, 1772-1842). In the middle of the 19th century, the production of cotton wool and tow began to develop in the Klepikov area. An additional impetus to the development of the city was given by the construction of a narrow-gauge railway, which by the beginning of the 20th century connected Ryazan and Vladimir. The road in and around the city was dismantled in 1999, when the station and wooden railway bridge over the Prue River burned down. The nearest railway station is 25 kilometers from the city, in the urban village of Tuma.

In 1859, there were 68 households in Spas-Klepiki with a population of 458 people. In the village there was a camp apartment of the 3rd camp of the Ryazan district.

At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, Spas-Klepiki was the administrative center of the Klepikovskaya volost of the Ryazan district.

On July 1, 1918, a peasant uprising took place in Spas-Klepiki, lynching by a mob against three representatives of the Ryazan Provincial Extraordinary Commission (Vasily Kuzmich Korchagin, Ivan Kanyshev, Andrei Vasilievich Ryabinov died) and the head of the 4th precinct of the local people's militia, Joseph Pavlovich Tamansky.

In 1920, Spas-Klepiki was given city status. In 1919, the Spas-Klepikovsky district was formed. In 1921-1924, Spas-Klepiki was the center of Spas-Klepikovsky district.