Staritsa, Russia

Staritsa is a small town in the Tver Upper Volga region, 70 km southwest of Tver. The picturesque location on the banks of the Volga, which are high and steep here, goes perfectly with the interesting temple architecture and cozy atmosphere of the old city. It is also worth visiting the surrounding area of Staritsa, where you will find at least a dozen noteworthy architectural monuments.

The city of Staritsa is located on the Volga, in a place called the Staritsa Gate, where the river seems to “cut through” the limestones, so the Volga bed itself is quite narrow here, and the banks often represent impressive steep hills up to 50 meters high. Staritsky limestone, also known as “Staritsky marble,” is of quite high quality, so the extraction of “white stone,” which began in ancient times, continues to this day. Some of the city’s buildings, both civil and ecclesiastical, are also made from local stone. The bridge across the Volga divides the Staritsa into two approximately equal parts: the left bank (Gorodishche) and the right bank (Uspensky Monastery). Staritsa is located on the eastern edge of the Valdai Hills, so on the road from Tver (which is in the lowlands) you will see significant elevation changes.

Staritsa was founded in 1297 by the Tver prince Mikhail Yaroslavich on the high left bank of the Volga, but perhaps a settlement existed on this site before. At first, the settlement was known as Gorodok and Gorodesk, and the current name appeared in the 15th century and, most likely, is associated with the Staritsa River (now Starchonka) flowing into the Volga. The widespread legend that the city was named after the old woman, the only survivor of the Mongol-Tatar devastation, either appeared because of the city coat of arms, or influenced it.

In the 14th century, the settlement was part of the Zubtsovsky principality, which was later annexed to the Tver principality. In 1485, Staritsa became part of the Moscow lands and for most of the 16th century was the center of the appanage principality of the same name. At this time, Staritsa flourished: Prince Andrei Staritsky rebuilt the Assumption Monastery, and under his son Vladimir, the unusual five-tent Boris and Gleb Cathedral was erected from local stone, dismantled at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1566, Ivan the Terrible liquidated the Staritsa principality and took its lands into the oprichnina, and in 1569 Vladimir Andreevich, who became the last appanage prince of Rus', was executed. After this, Staritsa temporarily became one of the residences of Ivan the Terrible, who lived for a long time in the fortified princely palace, which stood on the high bank of the Volga. The name of Grozny is associated with many local legends about quarries, underground passages and hiding places. During the Time of Troubles, the city survived the invasion of Polish-Lithuanian troops, who destroyed a significant part of the city fortifications and churches.

In the 18th–19th centuries, Staritsa was a major pier on the Volga-Baltic route, which provided funds for the construction of new churches, public buildings and residential buildings, which were also built from local white stone. The development of the city was carried out according to a regular plan, outside the ancient settlement. In the 19th century, the railway passed by the city, which turned it into a quiet provincial town.

In the last few years, the Assumption Monastery has been restored and polished to a shine, the condition of which now stands in stark contrast to the shabby and slowly crumbling historical buildings in other parts of the city. However, the city itself is more alive than dead. Here come tiled sidewalks, according to the capital's tradition, washed by the morning tractor, and city traffic lights are equipped with solar elements. The water pumps placed throughout the city hint that running water is not available everywhere here, but the city houses look well-groomed and are pleasing to the eye.



Right Bank

1  Holy Dormition Monastery. Located on the low bank of the Volga, the monastery complex is perfectly visible from the opposite high bank - this is the calling card of Staritsa. The monastery was apparently founded in the 16th century (the widely circulated founding date of 1110 is mentioned only in one and not very reliable source). The abbot of the monastery and a native of Staritsa Job in 1589 became the first Russian patriarch. In 1764, the monastery fell under secularization and became noticeably impoverished (buildings after this time in the monastery are rare); the fortress walls were dismantled as unnecessary. During Soviet times, the monastery was closed, in 1997 it was reopened and in the 2000s. reconstructed Now its walls have been restored, temples have been restored, and the territory has been completely improved. The monastery became a popular site of pilgrimage.
In the center of the complex is the Assumption Cathedral - the oldest church of the monastery, erected in 1520 by order of Staritsky Prince Andrei Ivanovich. This is a five-domed white stone church with kokoshniks, built following the example of the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin. Attached to it is a hipped brick bell tower (1686) and the Trinity Cathedral (1819) - the latter is decidedly out of the ordinary, since it was built in the classicist style at the expense of the Staritsa philanthropist Tutolmin (he also donated money for the construction of a hospital in the city) and became the tomb of his family . Next to this complex there is another tomb, a miniature chapel-mausoleum of I. F. Glebov, a military leader of Catherine’s times.
On the same square are located the tent-roofed Church of the Entry into the Temple, erected as a single structure under Ivan the Terrible, and the ascetic white-stone refectory chamber attached to it, which is one of the rare examples of civil architecture of the 16th century. A little further, the Church of St. John the Evangelist, built in 1694, with an arched gallery, which was the gateway on the river side. In addition, the monastery houses fraternal and superior buildings of the 17th-19th centuries, a chapel, a cemetery with ancient tombstones and a monument to the already mentioned Patriarch Job.
The walls and towers of the monastery were mostly restored in the 21st century, but the southern part of the wall, along with one of the towers and the gate through which you will enter the monastery, has been preserved from the 17th-19th centuries.
2  Resurrection Church, Privolzhskaya street. The baroque church of the "octagon on quadrangle" type was built in 1784. It was erected from old white stone on the site of an older church that had fallen into disrepair, and the bell tower was added already in the 19th century. Apparently, the church originally had paintings, which were updated at the end of the 19th century; the remains of this painting are still visible today. During Soviet times, the church was closed and used for household needs; now it is in a dilapidated state.
3  Monument to the 700th anniversary of the city (monument to the Staritsa), st. Volodarsky (next to the hotel). The symbolic figure of the legendary oxbow, after whom the city is supposedly named, was installed on the central square for the 700th anniversary of the city. You will see a similar figure on the coat of arms of Staritsa.
4  Ilyinskaya Church (Elijah the Prophet), st. Volodarskogo, 46 (entrance to the city from Tver). An interesting baroque church built in 1804 on the site of an old wooden church. In 1824, Emperor Alexander I attended a service there.
5  Bridge over the Volga. A picturesque arched bridge built in 1963 (before this there was no capital bridge in Staritsa). It offers an excellent view of both banks of the Volga. The bridge is located in the geometric center of the city. There are no other bridges across the Volga in the area up to Zubtsov and Tver, respectively.


Left Coast

6  Church of Paraskeva Pyatnitsa (Nativity of the Virgin Mary), left bank of the Volga, under the ancient settlement. Built in 1750 in the Baroque style typical of that time, the church would have been quite ordinary (or at least would not have stood out among dozens of similar churches), if not for the numerous extensions that give the church a spectacular and unusual appearance for an Orthodox church. To the side of the original temple there are two symmetrical rotundas in the classicist style (early 19th century), complemented by a chapel and a white stone fence. Now the church is not active and is in a rather neglected state. Both names of the church are used equally often.
7  White stone forges. Forges built in the thickness of the shaft, built of white stone. The products of the Staritsky blacksmiths were known in Russia; sickles were especially popular. These forges were built at the end of the 17th century (one of them even bears the date “1798”) and were used by dynasties of blacksmiths. In the 20th century, products made in factories became significantly cheaper than handmade ones, and the forges closed. Nowadays, out of about 50 forges, only a few remain. Local residents use them as utility rooms.
8  Spasskaya Church-belltower (Savior Image Not Made by Hands), new settlement. Built in 1827 in the classicist style as a warm winter church of the complex. The temple itself is the first tier of the building, and above is the bell tower. The church is one of the dominant features of Staritsa and can be seen from afar. Compared to the neighboring Boris and Gleb Cathedral, it is lighter and more elegant. Now it doesn't work.
9  Boris and Gleb Cathedral, new settlement. The cathedral in the classicist style was built in 1820, noticeably similar to the cathedral of the same name in Torzhok. St. Petersburg architects took part in the design, and local architect M. A. Chernyatin supervised the construction. The cathedral was built next to the old Boris and Gleb Cathedral, from which the foundation has been preserved - it was an outstanding monument of ancient Russian architecture, plundered in the Time of Troubles and later not restored.
10  Old settlement. A hilly place at the confluence of the Starchonka River and the Volga, where the ancient Russian Staritsa was located. Now there are no buildings here, but from the fort there is an impressive view of the Volga and the monastery, and the intricate relief of the fort itself looks very impressive. The path leading to the top of the hills has a fairly steep incline - be careful.
11  St. Nicholas Church (Transfiguration of the Lord), st. Admiral Oktyabrsky. The church was built in 1814 at the junction of Baroque and Classicism. Added in 1843, the bell tower is located high above the banks of the Volga and dominates the city landscape, echoing the Spasskaya Church, which is symmetrically located relative to the bridge. Now the church is in a rather neglected state; it lost its domes back in Soviet times. Just like the Church of the Nativity, it has two names used.
12  Ruins of the Ascension Church, City Garden. These ruins in the city garden are all that remains of the white stone Ascension Monastery, built in 1668. During the Polish-Lithuanian intervention, the monastery was badly damaged, so that by 1761 a new white-stone cathedral had to be built, designed by an unknown St. Petersburg architect. Already in 1764, the monastery was abolished, and the church existed safely until its closure in 1935. It was finished off by the German occupation and post-war attempts to turn the building into a club. Jan 2024 edit
13  House of merchant Filippov, st. Lenina, 18. The house of a local merchant, where balls were held. Pushkin and Alexander I stayed there, and now it houses a cultural center.
14  House of N. Shabunin, st. Marshala Zakharov, 61. One of the most curious wooden houses in the city was built by cabinetmaker Shabunin. This large house with a mezzanine features original Rococo décor. An urban legend claims that the female and male masks on the facade of the house are images of members of the family of Emperor Nicholas II, and the date of construction or reconstruction of the house - 1918 - strangely coincides with the date of the Yekaterinburg execution.
The district development of Staritsa has been preserved mainly on the left bank. The oldest stone houses that have survived to this day date back to the end of the 18th century and most of them are in disrepair. Staritsa marble was often used in the construction of stone houses, but wooden houses can also stand on a white stone foundation, have white stone basements or a fence. Wooden houses are sometimes decorated with openwork carvings; look for them in the list of cultural heritage.


Things to do

“Staritsa is a city of inspiration,” says the motto on the stand near the local history museum. This is probably why new private museums are opening one after another in the city. In addition to the traditional local history museum, private museums of porcelain, baking and Russian ovens have opened here, and another museum is preparing to open.

1  Staritsky Museum of Local Lore  , st. Volodarskogo, 38 (next to the bus station). ☎ +7 (48263) 2-43-27. Wed-Sun 10:00–18:00. 100 rubles, children under 16 years old free. A good local history museum, which moved from the Assumption Monastery to a new nice building on the outskirts of the city. The exhibition includes, among other things, a model of the Staritsa Kremlin and objects of peasant life.
2  Museum of Porcelain, Glass and Ceramics, st. Karl Marx, 48. 🕑 Tue–Sun 10:00–17:00. 250 rub. Three halls of the museum are dedicated to porcelain tableware, porcelain sculpture and glassware of the 19th-20th centuries. Along with domestic exhibits, well-known European companies from Germany (many dishes from the former GDR), Czech Republic, France and England are presented. The museum occupies a 19th-century city estate; its owners did a good job decorating the interior of the building.
3  Museum of Baking, Lenina Street, 41. Tue–Sun 10:00–17:00. 250 rub. The museum is located in a merchant mansion from the mid-19th century and is dedicated to the history of baking.
4  Museum of Russian stove, st. Guseva, 12. Wed–Sat 11:00–17:00, Sun 11:00–14:00. ticket 200 rubles, excursions and master classes are paid additionally. In the courtyard of the museum there are collected exhibits telling about the peculiarities of village life. The main highlight of the program inside the house is the Russian stove, around which collections of antique utensils are collected.


How to get there

By train
The Staritsa station of the same name is located 12 km from the city; there are no closer stations. The train from St. Petersburg to Smolensk passes through the station (several times a week early in the morning) and commuter trains to Torzhok and Rzhev (2 pairs per day).

1  Staritsa station, village. Staritsa station (12 km west of the city).
How to get there: buses run to the station quite regularly, but they are not connected to trains. Taxi drivers on duty near the station help out; travel to the city costs 270 rubles (2018). You can call a taxi from the city: taxi service "Economy" tel. +7 (48263) 2-20-07.

By bus
During the daytime, vehicles depart from Tver approximately every half hour to hour. Buses depart from the Tver bus station, and minibuses depart from the ticket office of the commercial carrier Avtoexpress. Most flights go further - to Rzhev, Zubtsov, Nelidovo and smaller settlements of the Tver region. Buses go to Staritsa for about two hours, minibuses take a little over an hour on the road and cost ten percent more than buses.

As of 2020, you need to get from Moscow with a transfer in Tver, Volokolamsk or Rzhev.

2  Bus station, st. Volodarskogo, 48 (at the exit from the city towards Tver, 1 km from the bridge over the Volga). ☎ +7 (48263) 2-15-63. There is an abundance of catering establishments - one cafe is located inside the bus station and another one is closely adjacent to it.
3  Autoexpress bus stop, st. Volodarskogo, 11 (hotel "Volga"). ☎ +7 (904) 000-13-40. 6:30–21:00. Commercial buses to Tver, Rzhev, Zubtsov and Moscow.

By car
The A112 highway passes through the city, connecting Tver (75 km) with Rzhev and Zubtsov (50 km each). 28K-1619 leads to the east from the city, through Lotoshino (75 km) and Volokolamsk (110 km) allowing you to reach Moscow (220 km). There is also a road to Torzhok (110 km)


Transport around the city

The city is very compact, so there are no local buses, but there are buses to the train station several times a day. Suburban buses are available to some settlements in the region, including Bernovo and Krasnoe, usually twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.



1  Supermarket “Universal”, Tverskoe Highway, 15 (at the entrance to the city from Tver). Grocery and hardware store.
2  Market, st. Volodarsky (in the city center).
3  Sports and entertainment center “Atlantis”  , st. Kommunisticheskaya, 27. ☎ +7 (48263) 2-38-94. There is a bowling alley.



1  Refectory of the Assumption Monastery. 300 rub. A hearty set lunch without any choice, the food is prepared in compliance with the monastery canons.
2  Dining room of the pedagogical college, Sovetskaya st., 10A. ☎ +7 (48263) 2-43-98. 09:00 – 15:00. Cheap canteen.
3  Cheburechnaya, Sovetskaya st., 2B. ☎ +7 (920) 152-23-00. 10:00 – 18:00. An unpretentious eatery where classic fatty pasties are fried, it’s not for everyone.

Average cost
✦  Restaurant Mansion on Karl Marx (in the hotel Mansion on Karl Marx). Main courses 200-350 rub. Until recently, this was the best restaurant in the city both in terms of service and quality of food preparation. Now (2023) due to staff shortages, it only serves breakfast for the hotel and provides set lunches for tourist groups. European cuisine.
4  Pizzeria “Tiamo”, st. Karla Marksa, 53. ☎ +7 (920) 150-98-00. 10:00 – 22:00. A varied menu with an emphasis on Italian cuisine, but there are also European dishes. Good pizza, good desserts. Breakfast and business lunches are offered in the morning and afternoon. There is Wi-Fi.
5  Cafe “Beryozka”, st. Chernozersky, 14. Main courses from 400 rubles, business lunches 200 rubles.
6  Pizzeria  , st. Lenina, 10. ☎ +7 (915) 711-37-32. 11:00 – 19:00. 500 rub. for a full lunch. In addition to pizza, the menu includes salads, as well as simple meat dishes and desserts; for added chic, the menu is translated into English. Previously there were complaints about the quality of food, but now visitors are very satisfied.
7  Cafe-dumplings, st. Lenina, 41. 11:00–20:00. The menu includes several types of dumplings and dumplings, as well as soups and salads. Reviews are mostly good, but there are also complaints.

Coffee shops
8  Bakery, Sovetsky lane, 5. ☎ +7 (920) 680-56-70. An ordinary bread store, which also sells several types of not particularly tasty cakes. There are several tables inside where they can make coffee.



1  Hotel “Volga”, st. Volodarsky, 11. ☎ +7 (48263) 2-16-36. Double 1700 RUR, 3200 RUR luxury. An old Soviet hotel, most of the rooms have undergone minor renovations. Suitable for unpretentious visitors. The staff may or may not be friendly, depending on the shift.
2  Hotel “Mansion on Karl Marx”, st. Karla Marksa, 59 (left bank, on the outskirts). ☎ +7 (925) 518-00-71, +7 (925) 589-60-06. Double room from 2200 rub. New hotel with restaurant and bathhouse. Wi-Fi. You can book online. Good feedback. The local tourist information center is also located here.
3  Guest house “Tiamo”, st. Karla Marksa, 59a (next to the Mansion on Karla Marksa). ☎ +7 (925) 518 00 71. Double room 2400 rub. Belongs to the same owners as the Mansion on Karl Marx. Also good reviews and about the same conditions.
4  Guest house on Starchonka, Reka Starchonka street, 7. from 3,500 rubles/night. A guest house right on the banks of the Volga, with a veranda offering picturesque views of the monastery and the surrounding area. The house is located on the outskirts of the town and you have to walk half a kilometer to the main attractions and the bridge to the right bank of the Volga. The guest house has its own restaurant with a focus on Russian cuisine, parking and free WiFi. They offer a lot of entertainment from a photo shoot with a professional photographer to fishing/hunting.


Security questions

In wet weather, it is easy to slip on the ramparts of the fort and get seriously injured. Caution should also be exercised near abandoned buildings.



There is free Wi-Fi in the city garden.



The city is located on the eastern outskirts of the Valdai Hills, a pier on the Volga, 12 km from the railway station of the same name, 65 km southwest of Tver.



Middle Ages

Founded in 1297 by Tver Prince Mikhail Yaroslavich as a fortress on the Staritsa River.

Until the beginning of the 16th century, Staritsa was usually called Gorodok or Gorodesk (but not New Gorodok or Gorodok on the Volga, as some authors claim). The name “Staritsa”, which was subsequently assigned to the city, was given by its location on the river of the same name.

There is a legend that on the site of the city of Staritsa there was the city of Lyubim, which was completely devastated by the Tatars in 1292. When the city of Staritsa was founded, an old woman lived in that place, hiding in one of the caves, from which the city received its name. The legend does not contradict the course of historical events, but there are no documentary references to the city of Lyubim.

In 1319, according to the spiritual charter of Mikhail Yaroslavich (killed in 1318 in the Horde on the orders of Khan Uzbek), the territory of the Tver Principality was divided between his four sons, and Staritsa (together with Zubtsov, Kholm and Mikulin) became part of the Zubtsov Principality - the appanage of the second of brothers, Alexander Mikhailovich. After the execution of Alexander Mikhailovich in the Horde in 1339, his fatherland - the Zubtsovsky principality - remained in the hands of his widow Anastasia and sons. Later, the sons divided their father’s former inheritance among themselves, and such a division was secured by the peace agreement of the Alexandrovichs concluded in 1360 with Vasily Mikhailovich Kashinsky, who then occupied the Tver grand-ducal table; at the same time, the Staritsa became the inheritance of the eldest of the brothers, Vsevolod Alexandrovich, whose center of possessions was Kholm.

Vsevolod Alexandrovich died of the plague on January 8, 1366, after which his Kholm-Staritsky inheritance was divided between his sons. The eldest, Yuri Vsevolodovich, received the Hill, and the center of the possessions of the younger, Ivan Vsevolodovich, became Staritsa.

In 1375, during the Moscow-Tver War, Staritsa was briefly taken by the troops of Moscow Prince Dmitry Ivanovich. Conflicting with his uncle, the Tver Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, Ivan Vsevolodovich in 1397 made a kiss on the cross to the Tver prince and went to Moscow, but after the death of Mikhail Alexandrovich (1399) he made peace with the new Tver Grand Duke Ivan Mikhailovich and returned to his inheritance.

In 1402, Ivan Vsevolodovich died, transferring his possessions in his will to his cousin Alexander, the son of the new Tver Grand Duke Ivan Mikhailovich. On the coins that Alexander Ivanovich minted, there is, along with the name of the prince, the legend “denga gorodeskaya”, indicating the place of minting: Gorodesk (that is, Staritsa). In 1425, the Tver table also passed to Alexander, as a result of which the Staritsa appanage principality ceased to exist, merging with the grand-ducal possessions.

In 1485, as part of the Grand Duchy of Tver, Staritsa was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Moscow. In 1505-1566, it was the center of the appanage Staritsa principality - one of the last appanage principalities within Moscow Rus'.

In 1565, when Tsar Ivan Vasilyevich divided the Russian state into oprichnina and zemshchina, the city became part of the latter. In 1566, Ivan IV the Terrible changed the inheritance of the Staritsa prince Vladimir Andreevich: instead of Staritsa and Vereya he gave Dmitrov and Zvenigorod, and took Staritsa to the oprichnina.

Ivan IV, who loved the city, surrounded it with a stone wall and lived in it several times in 1579-1581 during the war with Stefan Batory.


New and modern times

Since 1708, Staritsa has been a city in the Smolensk province. Since 1719, it was part of the Tver province (originally part of the St. Petersburg province, and from 1727 - part of the Novgorod province). Since 1775, Staritsa has been a district town of the Tver governorate (since 1796 - Tver province).

In the 18th-19th centuries, Staritsa was a large pier on the waterway to St. Petersburg. In the vicinity of the city, limestone was mined (“Old Man Marble”).

In 1897, Staritsa had 5,396 inhabitants; there were 10 churches, 21 factories and factories (the largest of the factories was a tannery), 124 trading enterprises.

Soviet power in Staritsa was established on November 30 (December 13), 1917.

During the Great Patriotic War, Staritsa was occupied by Nazi troops on October 12, 1941. On January 1, 1942, it was liberated by troops of the Kalinin Front during the Kalinin offensive operation.


Coat of arms

The city's coat of arms is clear: it depicts an old lady (an elderly woman) in a green robe, leaning on a black stick. A coat of arms with such an image was developed in the 18th century by Franz Santi, who, when compiling city heraldic symbols, often relied only on the name of the city, without going into its etymology, about which he had no information. Therefore, on the coat of arms of Staritsa, he depicted an old woman, although the name of the city is probably associated with the staritsa in the meaning of “old river bed”. The coat of arms of the city of Velikiye Luki was compiled in a similar way, on which Santi depicted three large bows, although the name of the city is not associated with weapons, but comes from the word “bows” meaning “bend” or “meadow”.

There is a toponymic legend linking the main image of the coat of arms with the name of the city. According to it, the city was named in memory of an old woman who, at the time of the city’s founding, remained the only resident of these places after they were devastated by the Tatars. Perhaps the legend appeared after the drafting of the coat of arms.



It is convenient to combine a trip to Staritsa with a visit to Tver or Torzhok. If you're traveling by car, the road between these cities could easily take a whole day - there's so much to see along the way. South of Staritsa is Rzhev, literally saturated with military history. To the east is the village of Mikulino, the former ancient Russian city of Mikulin in the Tver principality, where the remains of a fortified settlement and the white-stone temple of Michael the Archangel of the 16th century are preserved.

✦  Staritsa quarries. In the vicinity of Staritsa there are quite a lot of limestone underground quarries. Nowadays they are not used for their original purpose, but they attract extreme tourists. It is highly recommended not to visit them without a guide.


Towards Torzhok

1  Transfiguration Church in the village of Krasnoye (20 km from Staritsa). A pseudo-Gothic temple that is rare in the vicinity of Tver, a “double” of the St. Petersburg Chesme Church, built in 1790 for the estate of the famous singer M.F. Poltoratsky, who wanted to have a “piece” of metropolitan architecture. Just extravagance in the 18th century gave a powerful visual effect today: the bright red church, richly decorated with old white stone, looks truly surreal against the backdrop of simple village houses. The original interiors of the church were lost during Soviet times, but during the restoration of the premises, the vertical division of the walls, previously made in the form of vertical projections, was indicated by color, and even such a simple design makes an absolutely stunning impression. The church has excellent acoustics and, if you get inside, it will be highly artistically demonstrated to you. Don't miss the opportunity to climb the narrow spiral staircase to admire the pinnacles from above and "ring" the bells (ask permission). Nearby are the remains of the Poltoratsky estate - the ruins of the main house and a nice park.

Bernovo is an ancient village 50 km from Staritsa, marked by the stay of A.S. Pushkin.
2  Wulf Estate (Pushkin Museum in Bernovo). Wed–Sun 11:00–18:00. Pushkin visited the Wulf family estate several times, and this was enough to preserve the estate in Soviet times - a museum was opened here, which still exists. The museum, they say, is not very interesting, but the estate itself is very cozy. You can walk around the park, where there are ponds, as well as the Parnassus and Menagerie slides.
3  Assumption Church. Church of the late 17th century in Baroque style. Notice the stone patterns around the windows.
4  Museum of Vice Admiral V.A. Kornilova, Ryasnya village (50 km from Staritsa, on a side road). ☎ +7 (903) 034-06-25. Wed–Fri 10:00–15:00, Sat–Sun 10:00–18:00. There have been many famous Kornilovs in Russian history, and among them is Vice Admiral Vladimir Alekseevich Kornilov, the organizer of the defense of Sevastopol during the Crimean War. He comes from the village of Ryasnya, Staritsky district, where local residents, out of sheer enthusiasm, organized an interesting museum and even erected a bust of Kornilov.
There is almost no public transport on the highway to Torzhok. Buses go to Bernovo 3 times a day. Red is located away from the road, buses go there even less often. There are no direct buses to Torzhok at all.


Towards Tver

Chukavino is a village 7 km from Staritsa on the right bank of the Volga. Together with neighboring Konoplino, this is one of the most picturesque places in the area.

5  Estate Chukavino. The large noble estate was restored back in the 1980s. By the standards of the Tver region, it looks quite well maintained, although it is in a state of protracted redistribution of property. In addition to a large manor house, a couple of outbuildings and a park of the 18th-19th centuries, it is worth seeing the Vladimir Church (1746) in the Baroque style, decorated with elaborate bas-reliefs and stone shells and enclosed by a low stone fence with two holy gates. The estate is surrounded by a metal fence, but at least during the daytime its territory is open to the public.
6  Sled dog nursery (eco-land “Chukavino”) (next to the estate). ☎ +7 (961) 015-22-22. The private dog kennel has gradually turned into an independent tourist center, where they show huskies, horses and sika deer, offer horseback riding, rides in a dog or reindeer sled, excursions to the Staritsky quarries and just relaxation on the picturesque bank of the Volga. There are guest rooms and a cafe. A visit must be arranged in advance by telephone. Reviews from visitors are quite contradictory - it seems that the nursery does not treat independent travelers very carefully.
7  Konoplino estate (1 km west of Chukavino). The old noble estate at one time belonged to I.I. Lazhechnikov - Russian writer and Tver vice-governor of the first half of the 19th century. It is curious that history repeats itself, and now the estate has again become the governor's residence: thanks to this, it has been restored, but is not accessible to the public.

There is no public transport in Chukavino. From the turn from the Tver highway to the estate is 4.5 km.
8  Assumption Church in the village of Ivanishchi (20 km from Staritsa). Contrary to road signs and maps, local residents use the letter sh instead of sch in the name of the village, which is not surprising: the church stands a hundred meters from the Ivanishka River, which gave its name to the ancient Ivanishki Monastery, of which the Assumption Church is a part. One of the oldest churches in the Tver region was built in 1534–1542 in the best traditions of Moscow architecture. Despite the extensive reconstruction of the 18th century, which “enriched” the church with a bell tower and a refectory, fragments of the ancient white stone decor have been preserved. The paintings were completed in the 1830s. 100 meters southeast of the church there is a luxurious three-hundred-year-old umbrella pine - a natural monument. Unlike other places in the vicinity of Staritsa, Ivanishchi is easy to visit without a car: it’s less than a kilometer from the highway to the church.