Toropets, Russia

Toropets is located in the western part of the Tver region. Known since the 11th century, it was once the capital of its own principality, then a rich merchant city, and now it is a small original town among lakes and deep forests, which has preserved its historical atmosphere.

Toropets was first mentioned in chronicles in 1074. In the city, continuity is sometimes traced to the capital of the Krivichi, Krivitesku, which allegedly stood in its place in the middle of the first millennium, but there is no documentary evidence of this. The advantageous position on the banks of the Toropa River (along which the route from the Varangians to the Greeks passed and which gave the city its name) led to the rise of Toropets, and by the middle of the 12th century it was the center of an independent principality - the city preserved the remains of the fortifications of those times. The Toropets princess was the mother of Alexander Nevsky, and the Grand Duke himself later chose Toropets as the place of his wedding to the daughter of the Polotsk prince Alexandra Bryachislavna.

In the middle of the 14th century, Toropets was occupied by the Lithuanian prince Olgerd and for one and a half hundred years was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1503, after the Truce of Annunciation, the city became part of the Moscow Principality and since then has not changed its state affiliation. During the 16th and 17th centuries, Toropets experienced several sieges of varying degrees of destruction, but its advantageous location helped it recover after each of them.

The 18th century was the heyday of Toropets. At this time it was a fairly wealthy merchant city and an important center for the leather industry. Thanks to the trading activity of Toropets merchants, features characteristic of Central Russia, the Pskov region, the Russian North, Ukraine and a number of other places were introduced into the style of city churches. All this was combined with local traditions of wooden architecture (mainly in decoration) - and the result was an unusual combination, which art historians later called the Toropets style or even Toropets baroque: such churches are found only in the city and its environs. Within this style there are two branches, early and late, separated by Peter I’s ban on stone construction outside St. Petersburg. Later churches more actively use traditional Baroque forms and usually look more elegant. The decorative solutions of churches also migrated to residential buildings, which is very unusual for other provincial architectural schools of that time. At least a dozen such houses have survived in Toropets.

At the end of the 18th century, the wealth of Toropets merchants was noticeably influenced, and for the worse, by the increase in the territory of Russia after the partitions of Poland: the city was no longer located on the border and could not use this advantage. Nevertheless, Toropets remained one of the largest (after Pskov and Velikiye Luki) cities in the Pskov province. The main Moscow-Vindava railway passed by the city (although relatively close to it), but the construction of the Bologoe-Polotsk line at the beginning of the 20th century stimulated the development of the timber industry in the city. The Great Patriotic War did not escape Toropets, but it suffered much less from it than other cities in this area. After the war, the city, in transit through the short-lived Velikolukskaya region, ended up in Tverskaya, for the first time in its history falling under the subordination of Tver.

Despite its modest size, Toropets was for centuries the largest city in a prominent area west of Moscow, only losing this status to Nelidovo, which grew up on the coal deposit, in the second half of the 20th century. There have never been large cities in this region, and, despite the wartime destruction, Toropets has perfectly preserved its identity. In recent years, Toropets and its surroundings have become a popular outdoor recreation destination for Moscow residents; however, they are still very far from Seliger in this indicator.

It is worth noting that the city is quite clean, the main streets have smooth asphalt, and on the central Sovetskaya there are even paving slabs - all this is completely uncharacteristic for the provincial cities of the Tver region. There are also far fewer abandoned houses in the city than one would expect, given the marked decline in population in recent years.



The city is located on the Toropa River, between lakes Solomeno and Zalikovskoye, through which it passes. Old Russian Toropets arose at one time on the southern bank of the river, now its settlements are located there. In the 16th century, the fortress (nowadays not preserved wooden Kremlin) was moved a little further north, to an island between the branches of the Toropa. At the same time, the settlement near the fortress began to grow on the northern shore, and, over time, the city center moved there. The railway ran a couple of kilometers north of the then city border; the city was growing in that direction already in the 20th century. Toropets is small, and a few hours will most likely be enough for you to explore the sights of the city.

The central street of the city is Sovetskaya, leading from Bazarnaya Square on the banks of the Toropa to the railway station. Beyond the river it continues as Komsomolskaya, then turning into the access road to the M9.



Toropetsk Posad was located on the northern bank of the Toropa. When the military threat disappeared, the city center moved there. The center of the posad was the current Market Square, located on the river bank, not far from the bridge to the island. All the buildings in the square had and still have commercial purposes; the city market is also located here. Many buildings that were located on the square before the revolution (including three churches) have now been lost, but a number of interesting buildings have still been preserved. Perhaps the most interesting of them is 1 House with a Portico, but the large shopping arcades look rather nondescript. On the southern side of the square, it is worth paying attention to the Su-9 fighter, erected in honor of the fortieth anniversary of the Victory as a monument 2, located as if it were taking off over Toropa. There was also a paradox here - the first aircraft of this type took off only in 1956.

From the square, streets occupied by historical buildings diverge for several blocks. Generally speaking, Toropets, like many other cities of the Russian Empire, received a regular plan at the end of the 18th century, but here they treated it without fanaticism, and along with the ideal rectangular grid, they preserved a number of old crooked streets. What is interesting here is the complete ensemble of the main Sovetskaya Street in the city. Many pre-revolutionary mansions have been preserved on Karl Marx, Krasnoarmeyskaya and some other streets. The most notable of them are on the city’s cultural heritage list. The oldest of these buildings date back to the mid-18th century and are easily recognizable by their characteristic architraves. Younger houses are also of interest, although they tend to be much simpler in appearance. Also pay attention to the northern colorful courtyards. Most of the city's churches are also located here.

3  Savior Transfiguration Church  Wikidata element, st. Nikitina. It is located slightly to the west of the Market Square and is visible from it. From this church one can trace the entire evolution of Toropetsk church architecture: its main volumes date back to the beginning of the 17th century and belong to the early Toropetsk style, the bell tower clearly influenced the development of the later one, and in the decoration and extensions all eras were noted until the beginning of the 19th century. The rector of this church for many years was the father of Patriarch Tikhon, the first church ruler to receive this rank after the restoration of the patriarchate in 1917.
4  Kazan Church , st. Solovyov. ☎ +7 (48268) 2-21-73. One of the oldest churches in the city was built at the end of the 17th century. This is an example of the early Toropets style. From the outside it looks rather heavy, which is partly due to the demolition of the high bell tower in the 1930s. The decor is also typical of early Toropets churches. Pay special attention to the tiles with cherubs (“divine children,” as the locals called them) - this is one of the symbols of the city. Inside, the temple, which in its structure belongs to a rare type of double-column church, seems much more spacious and taller. Of interest are the internal entrance portal from the time the church was built and the paintings, both preserved from the 19th century and restored in recent years.
5  Church of the Nativity of John the Baptist, st. Karl Marx. The temple of the early 18th century is another representative of the early Toropets style. In general, the church is similar to the Spaso-Preobrazhensky and Kazan churches, but smaller in size, and its external decor is somewhat poorer.
6  Watchtower, square, intersection of Eremenko and Sovetskaya streets. In 1999, a watchtower depicted on the city’s coat of arms was erected on one of the squares of Toropets. It is not a direct replica of any historical building, but it looks quite photogenic. Across the road from the tower (near the building of the cultural center) there is a monument to A.N. Kuropatkin - Minister of War of the Russian Empire, born in the village of Sheshurino, 60 kilometers from Toropets.
7  Pokrovskaya Church , st. Eremenko. The tallest and, perhaps, the most impressive church of Toropets was built in 1774 - this is the result of crossing local traditions with metropolitan architecture or, in more strict terms, Baroque with features of classicism. It turned out quite unusual; direct analogues to this temple are difficult to find. The interior of the church is impressive with its exquisite stucco moldings and shapes - from the inside the temple seems even larger than it actually is. Nowadays the church, together with the neighboring Nikolskaya, belongs to the St. Tikhon’s Monastery for women (divine services are held in the Nikolskaya Church).
8  St. Nicholas Church. Somewhat “hidden” from view by the brighter and larger Church of the Intercession; to view it you will need to go beyond the monastery fence. This is the oldest surviving temple in the city, built in 1666, although it did not escape later reconstruction. Pay attention to the tiles - there are more of them here than in any other Toropets church.
9  Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, st. Leningradskaya. Erected in 1742, this is the first church built in the late variation of the Toropets style. In terms of its external volumes, it is close to the “early” churches, but it looks more elegant. The settlement is separated from the main part by the small river Ukleenka, but it is still the historical part of the city.
10  Assumption Church, crossroads st. Lenin and st. Karl Marx. Another monument of the Toropets Baroque, a temple built in 1768. It is in severe neglect, but even in its current state it is of interest due to its partially preserved decorative elements and general plasticity.
11  Estonian Lutheran Church, st. Oktyabrskaya, 48. The wooden and now half-abandoned church is evidence that Toropets once belonged to the Pskov province, with its characteristic noticeable diaspora from among the peoples of its western neighbors. Jews, Germans, Latvians, and Finns lived in Toropets and the surrounding area, but most of all there were Estonians. In the 1870s, a wooden church was built for them; under Soviet rule, it lost its bell tower and was used for utilitarian purposes: its last function was a gym, which was removed from it already in the 2000s.



From Market Square the bridge leads to the Special Island, where from the 16th to the 18th centuries. the fortifications of the Toropets Kremlin were located. All that remains of the island's fortifications are the unimpressive remains of a rampart (the "Red Wall"), which you may not even notice. Over time, the administrative part of the city also moved to the suburb, closer to the place of urban activity, and the island became a remote part of the city center.

12  Epiphany Church, st. Komsomolskaya, 2. Built in 1765, the temple is considered the main masterpiece of the Toropets Baroque. Possessing features characteristic of other city churches, Epiphany is distinguished by the most elegant composition. The church is located on the shore of the lake and is perfectly visible from the Market Square. Now the church is in poor condition, and inside it there is a local history museum.

Next to the church there is a stone monument to Admiral P.I. Rikord (a native of the city) in the form of a granite block with a sea chain and an anchor.
13  Monument to the Teacher, st. Komsomolskaya (between the Epiphany Church and the Korsun Cathedral). The first monument to the teaching profession on the territory of present-day Russia was erected in 1974 on the initiative of former graduates of school No. 1 located across the road. It represents the figure of a man teaching a lesson, leaning his hand on the desk. As of summer 2023, it is under reconstruction.
14  Korsun-Bogoroditsky Cathedral, st. Komsomolskaya. The youngest of the city churches (1804) and the only one built by a non-local architect, the cathedral was built to store the main local shrine, the Toropetsk Icon of the Mother of God, so an architect from Smolensk was invited to build it. The cathedral has a non-standard, somewhat ponderous shape, which hides its considerable height up close. As in other Toropets temples, the details deserve special attention.
The Toropetskaya icon itself, which in the city is identified with the ancient Korsunskaya (hence the name of the cathedral), has been known since the end of the 17th century. There is a popular legend in the city that the icon was a gift to the city from Alexandra Bryachislavna, the wife of Alexander Nevsky, but it, apparently, has no basis. The icon was kept in Toropets until 1936, then it was transported to the Russian Museum. In 2009, the icon was transferred to the newly built Alexander Nevsky Church in one of the cottage villages near Moscow.

On the southern bank of Toropa there is a place where the city was located in the Middle Ages. There are no historical buildings here, either from the Middle Ages or later, but the ancient earthen fortifications are perfectly preserved.

15  Vysokoe Maloye Gorodishche, st. Komsomolskaya. An impressive, round hill (about 60 meters in radius and a dozen in height) with steep slopes is what remains of a fortress of the 11th-15th centuries. Unlike many other similar structures, the Vysokoye Malyaya Settlement is completely man-made, without any natural elevations at its core. There are several rather steep paths leading to the top (be careful!). The views of Solomennoye Lake and Osooblivy Island from the settlement are truly impressive, but the planting area, unfortunately, is hidden behind vegetation in the summer.
16  Big Old Settlement (across the road from Maly). As the name suggests, it is really large - many times larger than Maly - but at the same time it is more gently sloping, inhabited (huts and city streets climb right onto it, and on the undeveloped part local residents graze their cattle) and is partly based on a hill of natural origin . The other part of the name regarding Maly is not so correct: most likely, both settlements were parts of a single fortification system. Due to the lower height and buildings blocking the view, you can see less from the Big Settlement than from the Small Settlement, but the view of the city center from here is a little better.



Cemetery churches. At the end of the 18th century, burials within the city limits were prohibited in Toropets, which led to the appearance of three cemeteries outside the city and churches on them. The churches were built similar to each other - small, located on hills, with one tower - in their appearance they resemble the churches and churches of central Europe.
17  Church of the Myrrh-Bearing Women, st. Komsomolskaya (south of the city). It differs somewhat from the other two in its heavy appearance. It is located next to the Old Settlement and is visible from it.
18  Church of All Saints , st. Roshchinskaya, 49 (northeast of the city). ☎ +7 (48268) 2-25-07. The only one of the Toropets churches that did not close during Soviet times, it is still distinguished by a large number of parishioners. Despite the distance, it is visible from both the Big Settlement and the Small Settlement.
19  Ascension Church , st. Kutuzov (northwest of the city). Unlike the other two, it is not so panoramic, but may be of interest to pilgrims - in the cemetery of the church there is a chapel where the parents and brothers of Patriarch Tikhon are buried.
20  Trinity-Nebin Monastery, st. Lermontov. It was located on the banks of the Toropa and therefore quite noticeable in the city panorama. Until recently, the buildings of the monastery were occupied by a foundry and mechanical plant; the monastery buildings are still in disrepair; the cathedral of the early 18th century has been decapitated. Is it possible to explore the monastery up close? It is unknown


Things to do

1  Local History Museum  , st. Komsomolskaya, 2 (in the building of the Epiphany Cathedral). ☎ +7 (48268) 2-26-94. Wed–Sun 11:00–17:00. 30 rub. There are not very many exhibits, but they are quite varied - you can see, for example, a model of the Toropetsk Kremlin, artifacts from the Great Patriotic War, and even the armor of a Japanese samurai (from the collection of the Minister of War of the Russian Empire A.N. Kuropatkin, a native of the Toropetsk district). You should also contact us about city tours.
2  Museum of the History of Photography, st. Eremenko, 4. Exhibition of antique photographic equipment and historical photographs of the city at the children's art school.
3  Museum of Patriarch Tikhon, st. Nikitina, 11 (across the road from the Transfiguration Church). A small museum located in the house where Tikhon spent his childhood. The collection includes personal belongings of the patriarch and his family, as well as household furnishings from the late 19th century. Regarding visits and excursions, you need to contact the gymnasium named after Patriarch Tikhon (Karl Marx St., 59).
4  Museum of Cosmonautics, st. Sovetskaya, 36 (in the building of the Palace of Culture). ☎ 2-12-95 +7 (48268) 2-17-84, 2-12-95. except Mon. The museum opened in the fall of 2016. Toropets is the birthplace of Yuri Semenov, former chief designer of RSC Energia. The Internet says that visiting the museum is possible by prior arrangement, but in general there is still very little information about it.


How to get there

By train
Toropets is located on the inactive Bologoe-Polotsk railway. There are no long-distance trains on it, but 5 commuter trains run to Velikiye Luki (a little more than 2 hours) and Ostashkov (a little more than 3 hours) - daily in summer, 5 times a week in winter (except Mon and Wed). This road, which passes through a picturesque and remote area, and has preserved a significant part of its buildings and equipment since the beginning of the 20th century, is an attraction in its own right.

To get to Toropets by rail from Moscow or St. Petersburg, you need to take an overnight train to Velikiye Luki, where you change to a suburban train departing in the morning to Toropets. If you are coming from Moscow, you can get off the Velikiye Luki train earlier, at the Staraya Toropa station in the village of the same name, 25 km from the city, and get to Toropets by taxi for 700-800 rubles (2023). This will save several hours, and if traveling with two or three it will even be cheaper. It can be convenient to combine these options: for example, go to Toropets through Luki, and back through Toropa.

There is no convenient route from Tver by rail.

1  Toropets station (north-eastern outskirts of the city). A rather large post-war station with a waiting room and toilet (commuter tickets are sold directly on the train). Much of the station's interior has been preserved from the 1950s. The city center is at least half an hour on foot, buses run rarely.
2  Staraya Toropa station. 0:30–22:30. Station on the Moscow–Rzhev–Velikie Luki line. A night train from Moscow stops (every day in summer, every other day in winter), commuter trains run 2-3 times a day in the direction of Rzhev and Velikiye Luki. The station contains only a waiting room and a toilet; on the right side of the square there are several small grocery stores.

By bus
From Moscow there are 4 buses a day from Khovrino, the journey takes from 6 hours. At the same time, officially these are flights to the city of Nelidovo (you need to look for it in the schedules), and upon arrival there you need to buy a separate ticket from the driver to Toropets, sometimes you will also have to transfer to a neighboring bus there (listen to the instructions of the bus station workers). In Toropets they sell tickets directly to Moscow.

There are also 4 buses a day from Tver, the journey takes from 5.5 hours, you can also use connections in Nelidovo.

The bus to Tver will stop anywhere along the way, including Rzhev and Staritsa, but Moscow buses do not have official stops between Moscow and Olenino, which is already beyond Rzhev. Buses to St. Petersburg, Velikiye Luki, Smolensk occur sporadically, you should not count on them.

All intercity buses pass through the city center, making a stop at Market Square. It’s definitely possible to get off there, but it’s better to discuss the possibility of boarding in advance.

3  Toropets bus station (next to the station). ☎ +7 (48268) 2-10-64. A small and scary building made of sand-lime brick. The opening hours of the waiting room and ticket offices are tied to the departure of municipal buses around the area and to Tver, but tickets for flights of private companies can also be purchased there. In the building itself there is a grocery store, open from 9 to 18, and nearby there are several benches under a canopy, which can be accessed at any time of the day. Inside, time seems to have stopped: you can see classic wooden benches, and on the walls are preserved orders of the Ministry of Transport of the RSFSR and a number of other equally archaic artifacts.

By car
The M9 “Baltia” Moscow-Riga highway runs 20 km south of the city. The turn to Toropets is located 379 km from Moscow. From Tver (330 km) you can get to the M9 through Rzhev, and from St. Petersburg (580 km) - follow the M20 to Ludoni, then through Porkhov and Velikiye Luki.

Local roads lead to Kholm (via Ploskosh) and further to Staraya Russa, as well as to Andreapol (via Khotilitsy) and further to Seliger. As of summer 2023, these roads are passable by car and are a mixture of asphalt and grader sections.


Transport around the city

In Toropets there is a city bus that can take you from the train and bus stations to the city center. Buses run rarely and are not tied to intercity transport schedules.

A taxi around the city costs 150₽ (2023), numbers can be easily found on the Internet. Taxi drivers are also on duty on the northern side of Market Square.



There are several places in the city center that sell souvenirs. There is also no shortage of grocery stores, and these are mainly supermarkets.

1City Market, Market Square. 10:00–16:00. Market day is on Sunday, but there is some activity on other days (Wednesday and Friday).



Traditionally for the Russian provinces, on weekends some establishments may be closed for special services.

1  Restaurant “Krivitesk” (at the hotel of the same name), st. Sovetskaya, 11. ☎ +7 (48268) 23499. 8:00–0:00. The most expensive place in the city, although by Moscow standards it is more of a cafe. In general, people are satisfied with the cuisine, although there are also negative reviews. In the same building there is a door with a sign “Confectionery “Volzhsky Baker”” - there you can drink tea/coffee with local pastries or products of the company of the same name, but only a couple of people can fit inside.
2  Cafe “Yuna” (at the Toropa Hotel), Sovetskaya St., 35/21. ☎ +7 (48268) 2-17-63. 9:00–23:00. Overall similar to Krivitesk, but more loved by locals.
3  Grill bar “Shampur”, st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 6, building 1. 17:00–2:00. In the evenings it is used as a place of not very cultural relaxation with all the ensuing consequences, but they also cook there, and they even say it’s edible.
4  Coffee shop “On the Old Square”, st. Sovetskaya, 7/2. 9:00–19:00. In addition to coffee, you can also eat here, but the food here doesn’t have the best reviews, as does the coffee.



There are two hotels in Toropets, both of them are located in merchant mansions on Sovetskaya Street not far from each other.

1  Hotel “Toropa”, Sovetskaya st., 35. ☎ +7 (48268) 2-11-08. single room: from 1000₽.
2  Hotel “Krivitesk”, Sovetskaya st., 11. ☎ +7 (48268) 2-34-99. double room: from 3000₽.



Post office (department 172840), str. Sovetskaya, 26. ☎ +7 (48268) 2‑19-60. Mon–Fri 8:00–20:00, Sat 9:00–18:00, Sun 9:00–14:00



The name of the city is due to its location on the Toropa River (in the early years Toropitsa). In turn, the origin of this hydronym is associated with the Russian rush "haste", arising from the high speed of the river at the threshold before the confluence of the Western Dvina.



The city is located in the west of the Valdai Upland, 263 km west of Tver. It is located on the Toropa River, which flows within the city through the Solomennoye and Zalikovskoye lakes. Railway station on the Bologoye - Velikiye Luki line. To the south of the city there is the M9 E 22 “Baltia” highway, as well as the Moscow-Riga railway (Staraya Toropa station, located in the city-type settlement of the same name), which provide a connection between the city and the capital.



First mention

Toropets was first mentioned in chronicles in 1074. The chronicle text speaks of the death in the Kiev-Pechersk monastery of the Toropchanin, the Monk Isaac of the Caves (a merchant of the Toropechanin named Chern).

The city itself was first mentioned in documents under 1168 as the center of an independent Toropets principality (the ancient ramparts, probably preserved in the center of the city, probably date back to the XII century, were probably poured by the Toropets prince Mstislav Rostislavich Brave - the son of the Smolensk prince Rostislav).


Middle Ages

The Toropets principality was small and was located in the upper reaches of the Toropa and Zapadaya Dvina rivers, bordering on the lands of Smolensk, Novgorod and Polotsk. The famous route from the Varangians to the Greeks passed through the city. After the death of Mstislav Rostislavich, the reign passed to his son Mstislav Mstislavich, later nicknamed Udatny.

Later Mstislav Udatny handed over the Toropets table to his brother David Mstislavich. At the beginning of 1212, David's Toropets troops, together with the troops of the Pskov prince Vsevolod Mstislavich, participated in the campaign of Mstislav Udatny (who then occupied the Novgorod table) to Northern Estonia, as a result of which the Estonians were taxed.

Since the 13th century, the Lithuanian attack on Toropets intensified. So, in 1225, the attack of the Lithuanian princes was repulsed by the joint efforts of the troops of David Mstislavich and his son-in-law, the Novgorod prince Yaroslav Vsevolodovich, but in 1226 David fell in battle with the Lithuanians near Usvyat - a city in the east of the Polotsk land.

In 1245, the Lithuanians undertook the largest invasion of Russian lands; they captured Toropets and ruined it, but the Novgorod army of Alexander Nevsky (the son of Yaroslav Vsevolodovich and - by his mother - the grandson of Mstislav Udatny) recaptured the city, and then in two fierce battles - near Zhizhets (35 km south-west of Toropets) and Usvyat (still 65 km southwest) - the Lithuanians were utterly defeated.

For Alexander Yaroslavich, Toropets was also significant because it was here in 1239, when he had not yet earned his famous nickname Nevsky, that the prince was married to Alexandra, the daughter of the Polotsk prince Bryachislav). From her, the city got one of the main local shrines - the Korsun Icon of the Mother of God, which was kept in the cathedral of the same name for over 700 years.

In 1362, Toropets was still occupied by the Lithuanian prince Olgerd and became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

On August 9, 1500, during the Russian-Lithuanian war of 1500-1503, the troops of the Moscow commander, Novgorod governor Andrei Chelyadnin took Toropets; according to the Annunciation Armistice concluded on March 25, 1503, which ended the war, Toropets and 18 other border cities went to the Russian state. In 1580, during the Livonian War, Toropets was besieged by the army of the Polish king Stefan Batory, who, however, did not achieve success, and in 1582 the city, in accordance with the results of the Yam-Zapolsky peace between Poland and Moscow, remained with the Russians.

New and modern times
At the beginning of the 17th century, during the Time of Troubles, Toropets was taken and ruined by the Poles. In 1609, the Poles were expelled as a result of the Battle of Toropets, but already in 1617 Toropets became a target for the Ukrainian Cossacks. In the summer of 1698, the archers stationed here rebelled in Toropets, who marched to Moscow, forcing some of the Toropets burghers to join them; repression in this case continued until 1707.

In the XVI-XVII centuries, the role of Toropets as a trade and craft center on the western borders of the Russian state increased. Since the 18th century, leatherworking has been actively developing here. Since 1708, the city became part of the Ingermanland province (since 1710 called St. Petersburg), since 1719 it has been a part of the Velikolutsk province of the Petersburg province, since 1727 - in the Velikolutsk province of the Novgorod province. In 1777 it received the status of a district town of the Pskov province.


In 1897, 7,556 inhabitants lived in Toropets (90% were Orthodox and 8% Jews, the rest were Catholics, Lutherans and Old Believers). The population of the city was distributed according to the class composition: 64.1% were burghers and guilds, 21.9% were peasants and 14% were attributed to other classes. There were 18 churches and 1527 residential buildings, 28 factories and factories. At that time, there were up to 28 active churches in Toropets. After the construction of the Toropets section of the Bologoye-Polotsk railway in 1905-1907, Toropets became the center of the timber trade.

On October 28-30 (November 10-12), 1917, Soviet power was established in Toropets, after which the demolition of the Toropets Baroque monuments that adorned the city center began.

Since 1935 Toropets has been included in the Kalinin Region of the RSFSR. From August 29, 1941 to January 21, 1942, it was occupied by German troops (liberated during the Toropetsko-Kholmsk operation by the troops of the 4th Shock Army under the command of Colonel General A.I. Eremenko). In April 1962 Toropets was given the status of a city of regional subordination, but in 1965 Toropets again became a city of regional significance.

In 1974 Toropets celebrated its 900th anniversary. On June 24, the city was awarded a diploma of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR. In 1978 the Metaplast plant was put into operation.