Tarbagatai, Russia

Tarbagatai is located in Buryatia. Tarbagatai is a large village, the administrative center of the Tarbagatai region. It is located 65 km southwest of Ulan-Ude, in a mountainous forest-steppe area at an altitude of 550-650 meters, in the valley of the Kuytunka River. The village is surrounded on all sides by low hills. The federal highway P258 "Baikal" passes through the village. The majority of the population are Old Believers.



In 1734, the settlement consisted of 15 yards of arable peasants. Residents asked the Irkutsk diocese for permission to build a chapel of the Monks Zosima and Savvaty of the Solovetsky Wonderworkers with the possibility in the future to attach an altar and create a church. The building permit for the chapel was issued on September 13, 1734. After 10 years, with the assistance of Commissioner Grigory Firsov, the chapel was transformed into Zosima-Savvatisva Church. The church was consecrated on August 5, 1746.

In 1765, Old Believers settled in the village - Semey, exiled from the lands around the city of Vetka that had ceded from Poland to Russia.

In 1810, an Old Believer chapel was built.

At the beginning of 1824, the writer A. I. Martos noted two churches in the village (Zosima-Savvatievsky and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker), 110 houses and 700 yasak residents. Prosperous (not very rich) peasants plowed up 100 acres of land, kept up to 100 head of cattle, 300-500 sheep, up to 100 horses.

In September 1830, the Decembrists were transferred from the Chita prison to the Petrovsky Zavod. In Tarbagatay they had a day of rest (three crossings after Verkhneudinsk, that is, approximately September 9). In his "Notes" Baron A.E. Rosen left a small description of the village.

The village is mentioned by Nikolay Nekrasov in the poem "Grandfather".
“Where is that village?” - "Far,
Her name is: Tarbagatai, Terrible Wilderness, beyond Baikal ... So, my dear, you are still at a young age,
Remember how big you will be ... "

Since 1849, the Tarbagatai Fair has been held in January.

In the middle of the 19th century, 900 people lived in Tarbagatai.

At the end of the 19th century, the church of Belokrinitsky consent was built in the village.

In 1911 the village had:
Orthodox churches - 2
Edinoverie churches - 1
Old Believer Prayers - 3
Private residential buildings - 510
Public houses - 3
Public bakery stores - 3
Rural parochial schools and elementary schools - 1
State-owned wine shops - 1
Forges - 6
Rural prisons - 1
Glaciers - 1
Flour-grinding water mills - 5
Steam mills - 1

In 1919, there were 539 households (of which 465 were Old Believers) and 3,391 residents.

During the civil war, in December 1919, a punitive detachment was sent to Tarbagatai under the command of Zhirnov, numbering 300 people. The detachment was defeated by the red partisans. Zhirnov was shot by the population. On December 25, 1919, the Military Revolutionary Headquarters of the Northern Front was created, and weapons workshops began to operate. On December 31, the "Wild Division" under the command of General Levitsky was sent from Verkhneudinsk to the punitive expedition. On January 1, she occupied the villages of Kolobki and Kardon. The partisans of Tarbagatai, led by the commander of the Northern Front, Leshchenko, organized defenses on Omuleva Hill. The battle on Omulevka lasted five hours. The population of Tarbagatai came to the aid of the partisans. The attack of the "Wild Division" was repulsed. After 10 days, General Levitsky, having received a detachment of Yesaul Izmailov as reinforcements, left Verkhneudinsk for Tarbagatai. The offensive came from the direction of the Selenga and the villages of Ganzurino and Bilchir. The cavalry attack was repulsed, but Ganzurino was surrendered to the Wild Division. Later, Ganzurino was repulsed, and the "Wild Division" retreated in the direction of Goose Lake.

In February 1920, the only issue of the newspaper Izvestia of the Central Executive Committee of the Soviets of the Baikal region was published in the village.

In November 1923, a cell of the RKSM was created in Tarbagatai. On December 31, 1923, a club was opened in the village in memory of the fallen freedom fighters. On January 8, 1924, the first children's performance was given in a rural school.

In 1925, an agricultural center and an experimental field were opened. For the first time, an agronomist appeared in the village.

May 30, 1926 opened a hut-reading room]. On August 19, 1926, the construction of a hospital with 20 beds was completed. The hospital building has become one of the largest buildings in the Verkhneudinsky district.

In 1927, ShKM (a school for peasant youth) was opened in Tarbagatai, currently a secondary school. Until that time, a parochial school operated in the village.

In the summer of 1928, a telephone line was laid from Verkhneudinsk to Tarbagatai.

In the summer of 1928, an episode of the film "The Descendant of Genghis Khan" - "The Death of a Commander" was filmed in the village. In the role of the wife of the partisan commander, a local resident Daria was filmed.

In the spring of 1932, the Verkhneudinsk Machine and Tractor Station (MTS) was established in Tarbagatai with 20 tractors. In 1935, a school of drivers began to work at the Tarbagatai MTS.

On October 1, 1933, the All-Russian Central Executive Committee decided to transfer the center of the Verkhneudinsk aimag from the city of Verkhneudinsk to the village of Tarbagatai with the renaming of the Verkhneudinsk aimag into the Tarbagatai aimag.

On October 23, 1935, the village was electrified. The power plant with a capacity of 200 light bulbs was built by the Tarbagatai MTS.

In 1985, the Tarbagatai Children's and Youth Sports School was formed. In 1993, the Youth Sports School was renamed the Tarbagatai Children's and Youth Physical Training Center.



Church of the icon "Sovereign"
Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "Derzhavnaya" - an Orthodox church, belongs to the Ulan-Ude diocese of the Buryat Metropolis of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Nikolsky temple
Nikolsky Church is an Orthodox church, belongs to the Russian Old Orthodox Church. Built in 2003.

Monuments of history
The building where the headquarters of the partisans of the Tarbagatai Front was located in the volost administration. st. Lenina, 16.
The house of S. I. Chebunin, in which the Bolshevik organization conducted revolutionary work and had a safe house. st. Lenina, 25.
Monument in honor of the battle of the partisans of the Tarbagatai Front with the White Guards on Mount Omulevka on January 2, 1920. 2 km north of the village.



In the Old Believer estate, you can buy literature about Semey families, souvenirs, and needlework. You should definitely buy Semey moonshine on pine nuts. Nothing beats a quality whisky.



Roadside complex "On the track". Departure from st. Proletarskaya on the Baikal highway, near the Kalina gas station. Cafe, hotel, sauna.



It is located along the Kuytunka River (the right tributary of the Selenga) at the confluence of the Tarbagatayka River (from the Bur. Tarbagata - Tarbaganya), 65 km south-west of Ulan-Ude on the federal highway P258 "Baikal", passing from north to south. Also, the regional highway Ulan-Ude - Tarbagatai - Okino-Klyuchi passes through the village from west to east.



The original name was the settlement of Pargabentey[2]. The locals called the village Tarbatai. Tarbagatai is a toponym that originates from the Mongolian word tarvagatai - "[a place where] there are tarbagans (marmots)".