Tula, Russia


Description of Tula

Tula - a city in Russia, the administrative center of the Tula region and the city district of Tula. Hero City (since 1976). Tula is located in the north of the Central Russian Upland on the bank of the Upa River, 193 km south of Moscow. The length of the city from north to south is 30 km, from west to east - 25 km.

According to the results of the All-Russian competition for the title of “The most comfortable urban (rural) settlement of Russia” held in 2014, Tula ranked third in the category “Urban settlements (urban districts), which are administrative centers (capitals) of the subjects of the Russian Federation”.

Tula is first mentioned in the Nikon chronicle of the XVI century under the year 1146. The cultural heritage sites located on the territory of the city are of great value and are an integral part of the world cultural heritage. On the territory of Tula there are more than 300 objects of cultural heritage: these are monuments of architecture and town planning, history, works of monumental art, archeology. In the tourism sector, Tula is known in three directions, rooted in the history of the city: arms, samovar and gingerbread. Each of them is represented in the city by the Museum of Weapons, one of the largest in Russia, the Museum of samovars and the Museum of Tula gingerbread. Also the hallmark of the city is the Tula Kremlin, the oldest building of the city, a monument of architecture of the XVI century. The house-museum of Leo Tolstoy Yasnaya Polyana is located 14 km south-west of Tula. It is a unique center of historical and cultural life in Russia, associated with the name of the greatest writer and thinker of the 19th — 20th centuries.



Historically, Tula was divided into the Center - the left bank of the Upa River, as well as Zarechye and Chulkovo - areas of handicraft settlements lying on the right bank of the Upa and separated from each other by the Tulitsa River. Now Zarechye, connected to the center by the Zarechensky bridge, has grown significantly along the road to Moscow (Oktyabrskaya streets) and forms the Zarechensky district. Chulkovo is connected to the center by the Proletarian Bridge and, having swallowed up many suburban settlements, forms the Proletarian District of Tula.

The central part of the city on the left bank of the Upa has a traditional fan-shaped structure, which turns into a rectangular one on the outskirts. The area around the Kremlin, surrounded by Sovetskaya Street, forms the historical center and is shaped like a bowl with a diameter of about 1.5 km. From the semicircular Sovetskaya Street, the main city highways diverge in different directions, the main of which is Leninsky Prospekt, which then passes into the highway to Orel. Administratively, the left-bank part of Tula is divided into the Central, Sovetsky and Railway Station districts, but these borders are not noticeable to the guests of the city.

Tourist Information Center (TIC). Excursion services, consultations on "what to see", "where to go", "where to stay" in Tula. Sale of souvenirs, including popular gastronomic brands and products of local craftsmen. Also here you can get a free map of the center of Tula.
1   Trading stalls of the Tula Kremlin. ☎ +7 (4872) 52-08-98. 9:15–19:00.
2   st. Demonstrations, 1A. ☎ +7 (800) 201-71-00. 10:00–20:00.



Tula Kremlin

A stone fortress appeared in Tula in 1514-20, almost immediately after the city was annexed to the Moscow principality. The Tula Kremlin is only a few years younger than the Moscow one and was apparently built by the same Italian masters, so the walls are crowned with “dovetails” familiar from Moscow, and the towers amaze with a variety of shapes and stone decor, which distinguishes the Kremlin in Tula from the neighboring Zaraysk one, which is purely utilitarian buildings, the decor on which is not in principle. The Kremlin is relatively small, but powerful and, unlike other medieval fortresses, is located in a lowland - to protect the strategic ford on the former Muravsky Way. By analogy with the Moscow Kremlin, it is built of red brick, but the foundations of the walls and towers are made of white stone. The perimeter of the walls is a little over a kilometer, their thickness is about 3 m. The walls and towers are well preserved, but seem unnaturally low, because they either sank in the swampy terrain, or were specially “cut” at the end of the 18th century; at the same time, wooden roofs appeared over the towers. The territory inside the walls changed several times, in Soviet times there was even a stadium here. Now the Kremlin is well landscaped, although rather deserted: two churches survived from the historical buildings, adjoining the northwestern Naugolnaya tower "shopping arcade" (1837-41) and strongly rebuilt into a modern museum and exhibition complex with a restaurant "old power plant" ( 1908). Everything else is occupied by squares and gradually emerging modern art objects.

1 Tula Kremlin. 10:00–22:00. The Kremlin belongs to the museum-reserve of the same name, but they are allowed to enter the territory completely freely, except that the gates are closed at night. Unlike most of its counterparts, the Tula Kremlin is very symmetrical: it has four round corner towers and one square travel tower along each of the walls. The symmetry is broken only at the northeastern wall facing the river, where the ninth and last tower "On the cellar" is located - square in cross section, but not through. All the towers have retained their original appearance, with the exception of the Odoevsky Gate tower overlooking Lenin Square, which, during the reconstruction of the 1780s. acquired a rather ugly, albeit well-recognized top with a dome. You can enter and leave the Kremlin from any of the four directions: from Lenin Square, Metallistov pedestrian street, the Kremlin embankment and the Kremlin garden.
2  Assumption Cathedral of the Tula Kremlin , st. Mendeleevskaya, 8/2. Built in 1762-66. on the site of the former stone cathedral, dismantled for dilapidation. The Assumption Cathedral seems older than its age and is very reminiscent of the five-domed Russian churches of pre-Petrine Rus'. The main thing in it, however, is not the form, but the details - bewitching stone decorations, distant echoes of the Stroganov Baroque, rethought under the Western influence of the 18th century. In the 1770s, just a few years after the completion of construction, a bell tower was added to the cathedral - this time a quite ordinary monument of classicism. It was dismantled in 1937 after a fire, but in 2014 it was rebuilt, and at the same time the cathedral was repainted in a somewhat unusual and completely incompatible with the red-brick Kremlin walls, gray-blue. Services are held in the new church, which is located in the lower tier of the bell tower. The cathedral itself is in a state of sluggish restoration. Inside, the carved iconostasis and frescoes painted by Yaroslavl masters were to be preserved, but all this will be available for inspection no earlier than 2024.
3 Epiphany Cathedral. In the red angular building with a clumsy dome, it is difficult to see the once majestic cathedral in the Ton style, a local version of the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The cathedral was built in 1855-58. like a warm winter temple. In Soviet times, four small domes were demolished, and the cathedral was eventually converted into a museum of weapons, breaking through the altar wall for this and building an ugly two-story extension in its place. In 2012, the weapon museum moved to a new building, and now the cathedral is slowly being restored, although it is unlikely to return to its pre-revolutionary appearance.


Historical Center

The historical center of Tula is located on the left bank of the Upa River and encloses the Kremlin in a closely built-up semicircle within the boundaries of modern Sovetskaya Street from Zarechensky to Proletarsky bridges. Here, by the end of the 16th century, a settlement was formed, which was soon surrounded by a wooden prison and earthen ramparts. After the loss of military significance by Tula, these fortifications were demolished. According to Catherine's plan of 1779, the core of the city was formed in the historical center with offices and institutions, only stone construction from two floors and above was allowed here. Despite the fact that Tula was badly damaged in 1941 and was rebuilt during the Soviet era, a significant part of the city's pre-revolutionary architecture has been preserved here. You can clearly see and even feel the ancient streets and buildings of the 1913 model at the sculptural composition "Historical Center of the City of Tula", located in a small square in front of house 8 on Sovetskaya Street.

Metallistov Street   Wikidata item (west of the Kremlin). Pedestrian street, which opened after a large-scale reconstruction in 2018, was known as Pyatnitskaya before the revolution. Almost all the buildings on it are merchant mansions, architectural monuments of the 18th-19th centuries. The street starts right from the walls of the Kremlin, where you can admire the musical fountain and the sculpture of the policeman. On the corner of house 7 is the eclectic Chapel of the Intercession Church of 1878. The 18th-century Intercession Church itself is 30 meters away - it, along with the bell tower, was restored almost from ruins in 2020. The restored pre-revolutionary buildings are gradually filled with life, turning into cafes, hotels and museums. The street ends at the square of the Tula Arms Plant, where the 8th monument to the designer S.I. Mosin, the creator of the famous three-line rifle, who worked at a local arms factory.

Church of the Annunciation, st. Blagoveshchenskaya, 4. ☎ +7 (4872) 56-56-53. 8:00–18:00. The oldest temple in Tula, the only surviving architectural monument of the 17th century, which has survived to this day almost unchanged. It was erected in 1692 at the expense of the priest from the merchant class Feofilakt Fedorov, as evidenced by a limestone slab with an inscription embedded in the wall. Architecturally, it is a five-domed church of the Moscow type, common in Rus' in the 17th century. From the northwest, a high hipped bell tower adjoins the temple, which dominates against the background of the small size of the church itself. In the stone floor of the refectory, one can see an example of an old figured cast-iron casting.

Kazanskaya embankment (Kremlin embankment). The embankment got its name in honor of the most beautiful Kazan temple that stood here until 1929. Now it is a modern pedestrian space for one kilometer along the Upa River. In the middle part, the embankment borders on the Kremlin wall. The Kremlin and the embankment are connected by a passage in the Water Gate tower. On the other side of the river is the famous Tula Arms Plant. Several of its historical buildings with renovated facades are visible through a deaf high factory fence. The steep descent to the river made it possible to lay footpaths at two levels in height. In the middle part of the embankment there is also a system of bridges from which a magnificent view of the Kremlin opens. The embankment boasts quite original art objects, viewing and children's playgrounds. Interestingly, before the revolution, there was a market on the embankment in front of the Kremlin wall. Now here you can find a couple of summer cafes and several kiosks.

Kremlin Garden (Kremlin Square). Founded in 1837 near the eastern wall of the Kremlin on the site of the Sennaya Square destroyed by fire, trees and flowers were planted here. The grand opening was attended by the future Emperor Alexander II, therefore, before the revolution, the garden, as in Moscow, was called Alexandrovsky. Now the territory of the garden with landscaped lawns, alleys, children's and sports grounds starts from the tower of the Odoevsky Gates and, passing along part of the southern and eastern walls of the Kremlin, smoothly passes into the Kazan embankment. Here you can find many sculptures of different years. The bust of Karl Marx was erected in the early years of Soviet power, in 1925, and a quote from Lenin made in pre-revolutionary font was preserved on it. In the neighborhood there is a modern sculpture "Tula alphabet", where each letter of the alphabet corresponds to something characteristic of Tula: Demidovs, Gingerbread, Samovar and so on.

The building of the City Duma (Palace of Children and Youth Creativity), st. Revolutions, 2. A monumental semicircular building that combines two pre-revolutionary mansions. On the side of Denisovsky Lane, there was the estate of the former Tula head I. Liventsev, built in the 1760s. The Baroque Lomovsky Gate, which is now not in the best condition and is made in the style of Bartolomeo Rastrelli, adjoins the estate. At the end of the 19th century, the house of the fisherman Platonov was built on the side of Revolution Street, in which his fish shop worked on the first floor, and the city Duma was located on the second. In Soviet times, neighboring mansions were merged, a third floor was built on, and since 1937 the Palace of Pioneers has been working here, which has now been transformed into the Palace of Children and Youth Creativity.

New malls, st. Soviet, 13A. The shopping malls were built in 1895-1897. Moscow merchant Stepanov. They got the name “new” because on Krestovozdvizhenskaya Square near the Spasskaya Tower of the Kremlin there were already old shopping arcades that have not reached us. A long red-green building of the late 19th century with turrets and carved architraves stands out against the general background of modern Sovetskaya Street. Inside there is now a military prosecutor's office, but on the facade you can see the restored names of old shops.

Lenin Square. The main city square, for the sake of which two blocks on the main streets were demolished in the 1970s. At the same time, the building of the regional administration (“white house”) was built, designed according to the type of the Assyro-Babylonian temple, and, together with the monument to Lenin standing next to it, is regularly offered for demolition by local residents. In the 1990s, the composition of the square was expanded due to the restored Assumption Cathedral and the Church of the Transfiguration. From the square begins the main city highway - Lenin Avenue, right there is the Samovar Museum and the main entrance to the Kremlin. In 2014, a monument to Tula gingerbread with a diameter of 2.7 meters was erected on the square in front of the registry office building (landmark - large letters "Tula - Hero City"). The sculpture greets guests with the inscription "For good luck" and is a popular subject for photos. Now Lenin Square is the main venue for mass city events. In winter, a skating rink is poured here and a New Year tree is put up, and in May a military parade is held. However, most of the year the area is simply empty.

Assumption Cathedral, st. Mendeleevskaya, 13, building 1. ☎ +7 (4872) 31-24-70. 7:30–19:00. The main temple of the Assumption Convent that once existed in front of the Tula Kremlin. The monastery was abolished after the revolution, but two large cathedrals remained from it. Uspensky was built in 1899-1902. in pseudo-Russian style and stands out for the quality of the brickwork and its bright dark red color, echoing the Kremlin walls. The artists of Vasnetsov and Nesterov's school worked on the interior, and without thinking twice, they copied Vasnetsov's murals from St. Volodymyr's Cathedral in Kyiv. In Soviet times, the Assumption Cathedral was closed, they tried to destroy it, but the strong brick walls of the temple successfully withstood the explosion. The building was badly damaged and was used as an archive. The reconstruction of the late 1980s returned the temple to its former appearance with new domes, in spite of Lenin, who was standing on the opposite side of the central square. Now it, along with All Saints, is one of the two existing cathedrals in the city.

Church of the Transfiguration, st. Mendeleevskaya, 13. The second surviving church of the former Assumption Monastery is smaller and built in a different era. The monumental five-domed church in the style of Russian classicism was erected in 1842. It was designed by Vasily Fedoseev, a student of the famous Carlo Rossi, who had a hand in such iconic buildings as the General Staff building on Palace Square in St. Petersburg. In the early 1830s, for some reason, Fedoseev moved to Tula, bringing with him fresh trends in the capital's architecture, which largely determined the appearance of the Tula center. The temple has a strict, almost symmetrical shape; the facades of the building are decorated with powerful Doric columns. The bell tower adjacent to the eastern facade was lost during the Soviet era.

Monument to Peter I (Tsar-smith). Pre-revolutionary monument to Peter I by the famous St. Petersburg sculptor Robert Bach, installed at the expense of the employees of the Tula Arms Plant in honor of his 200th anniversary in 1912. The sculpture of the emperor, by whose decree the factory was founded, depicts the king in an atypical image of a blacksmith, in a simple working apron with a hammer at the anvil. The monument to the tsar on Finnish red granite successfully endured the years of Soviet power, although it lay for some time in a pile of scrap metal in the yard of the plant. But in 1962, in the year of the next major anniversary of the enterprise, it was reinstalled in the square in front of the plant management for everyone to see.


Suburbs of the historic center

21  Church of Saints Florus and Laurus (Bogolyubskaya Church)   , st. Mosina, 1. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-55-65. 7:00–19:00. An elegant temple of the end of the 18th century, which simultaneously combines the styles of late baroque and Russian classicism. A faceted dome with baroque decorations is placed above the strict columned porticos. The inner space of the temple does not have load-bearing columns, and the entire load is transferred to the vault, which makes the church more spacious. The main shrine of the temple is the ancient Bogolyubskaya icon, which for a long time saved the city from various epidemics: from the plague to COVID-19.
22  Church of St. Nicholas on Rzhavets (St. Nicholas Church)  , st. Revolution, 6B. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-92-87. 7:00–19:00. It got its name from the wooden church of the 17th century, set on a swampy area with the Rzhavets River, the water in which was of a reddish hue. By now, the soil has dried up, the river has disappeared, and the unusual name has been preserved. The wooden church also fell into disrepair, and in its place in 1770 a modern stone church was consecrated. The author of the project is the architect of the Assumption Cathedral of the Tula Kremlin, which makes these two temples similar in style. The temple was closed during the Soviet era and repainted in 2004-2005. modeled on the famous frescoes of Dionysius and Andrei Rublev.
23 Peter and Paul Church, st. Lenina, 28. ☎ +7 (4872) 56-95-71. 7:30–18:00. In its present form, it was built in 1838 by the architect Vasily Fedoseev in the form of a rotunda, rare for Tula, on the site of an older church. Now the temple has been completely restored, and a clock has been installed on the restored bell tower. The architectural monument stands out among the nine-story buildings and has a significant adjacent territory with a square in memory of the soldiers-internationalists.
24  Monument to Levsha. Installed at the Zarechensky bridge next to the Tulamashzavod, which dates back to 1879 and occupies a vast territory in the former Frolovskaya Sloboda. The sculpture is dedicated to the character of Leskov's story of the same name as a symbol of the skill of Tula workers. The literary hero examines the microscopic flea shod by him in his hand, for which the sculpture is sometimes called a "monument to the salary." Next to Levsha is the Upa embankment with a rotunda and a “horseshoe of happiness”. And from the side of the plant in 2009, a small wooden temple with ringing bells in honor of Prince Vladimir was opened - it is fenced with a lattice made according to the sketches of the fence of the Summer Garden of St. Petersburg. Near the church there is a fountain and a monument to Prince Vladimir, and at the entrance of the Tulamashzavod there is a three-figure sculptural composition depicting its workers in different poses.



The former Armory Sloboda, formed on the right bank of the Upa River, regardless of the fan-shaped plan of the central part of the city, became the historical core of the District. The area was built mainly along the high road to Moscow, the modern Oktyabrskaya Street (formerly Millionnaya) - now its territory has increased significantly and the Zarechensky district of Tula is located here.

Nikolo-Zaretsky Church of the Nativity of Christ (Demidov Church) , Arms lane, 12 (next to the new building of the Museum of Weapons). ☎ +7 (4872) 34-57-40. 7:00–18:00. One of the oldest and most beautiful churches in Tula was erected in the 1730s on the territory of the former Kuznechnaya Sloboda, across the Upa River, at the expense of the owners of the Tula arms and Ural metallurgical plants, the Demidov family - their tomb is located in the church. The two-storey church in the Petrine Baroque style with a high middle part and a four-sided curved dome is similar in shape to a pistachio-colored palace, but rather modestly decorated. Its lower part is consecrated in honor of Nicholas the Wonderworker, and the upper one is dedicated to the feast of the Nativity of Christ, which explains the double name. The free-standing octagonal bell tower was first located on the opposite side, but after a sudden collapse in 1730, it was rebuilt in a new location. In Soviet times, the temple was looted, and the current bright porcelain interior with iconostases appeared in 2010. Near the church there is a small museum that tells the story of the Demidov family. And in front of the entrance to the territory in 1996, a monument to Nikita Demidov was erected, the remains of which rest in the temple. The sculpture of the founder of the industrial dynasty has much in common with the pre-revolutionary monument to Peter I, located on the opposite bank of the river.

Ascension Church, st. Herzen, 12. ☎ +7 (4872) 34-17-98. 7:00–19:00. An elegant one-domed church with a plastic faceted dome was built from 1754 to 1787 and during this time managed to get a combination of classicism facade forms with baroque completion. And on the pediment of the western facade of the temple, you can see the bas-relief of the all-seeing eye, which causes conflicting associations among the parishioners. The church suffered from fires more than once before the revolution, and in Soviet times it lost its bell tower. Since 1992, the temple has been operating again, although with updated murals.

Annunciation Old Believer Church, st. Demidovskaya, 37. Built in 1912-1914. in a rare Art Nouveau style for Tula, an Old Believer church. Like many other churches, in Soviet times the church was closed, and the bell tower was dismantled. Now it attracts the attention of those walking along Demidovskaya Street with its unusual appearance, but inside there is an office of Tulagorsvet, and the security of the enterprise does not really like tourists.

Church of Sergius of Radonezh, st. October, 78. ☎ +7 (4872) 47-42-22. 8:00–19:00. The majestic red-brick temple in the pseudo-Byzantine style was erected at the Moscow Gate in 1898. Next to the temple was the highest bell tower in the District, destroyed in Soviet times. After the temple was closed, it was re-consecrated in the year of its century, and the frescoes of the end of the 19th century were restored inside. Now the temple greets visitors with a renovated fence with gates, and to the north of it is Oktyabrsky Square, which attracts the attention of passers-by with the sculpture “Tula Tea Party”. The bronze composition depicts a man sitting at a table with an accordion and a woman listening to him, and on the table is a samovar with Tula gingerbread. The third chair is left free for visitors.

Church of the Savior (Savior on the Mountain), st. Puzakova, 151A (Spasskoe cemetery). ☎ +7 (4872) 47-42-99. 8:00–19:00. A small church in the forms of early classicism, built in 1807 on the old Spassky cemetery, which was opened after the plague of 1771 on the outskirts of the city. Now the cemetery is closed for new burials, a number of famous Tula merchants are buried here. The temple in Soviet times on the front line survived the heroic defense of Tula in 1941 and after the war was no longer closed. Inside you can see the marble iconostasis.

Monument to V.F. Rudnev, Rudnev Square (next to Komsomolsky Park). Monument to the commander of the legendary cruiser "Varyag", who heroically fought with a squadron of Japanese ships in the Korean port of Chemulpo on February 9, 1904 and then flooded so that the enemy would not get it. Vselovod Fedorovich came from a family of Tula nobles and, after leaving the service, lived in his estate in the village of Myshenki of the modern Zaoksky district of the Tula region. In 1913, Rear Admiral was buried in the neighboring village of Savino, where the Rudnev Museum is now located. The monument with the commander of the Varyag standing on the captain's bridge with binoculars in his hands was opened at the entrance to Komsomolsky Park in 1956. In 2012, a memorial sign "Guys of the Varyag cruiser" was erected - a copy of the original flag from the bow of the legendary ship.

Bogoroditse-Nativity Monastery, Burners, st. Mirnaya, 17 b. ☎ +7 (4872) 50-80-94. 8:00–18:00. A small convent, formed in 2000 at the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in the village of Gorelki, is the northern microdistrict of modern Tula. The stone Nativity Church was erected in 1781, now it has been well restored and is functioning again. In addition to the Nativity Church, the rest of the territory of the monastery is closed to the public, but there is a small spring nearby where you can draw water.
Memorial complex "Defenders of the sky of the Fatherland"   (at the exit from Tula along the Moscow highway). A large-scale memorial 27 meters high was opened in 2015 in honor of the pilots who defended the sky over Tula during the Great Patriotic War. The sculptural composition depicts the victory of the Soviet La-5FN fighter over the German FW-189 reconnaissance aircraft. The planes are made in full size, and the battle is based on a real air battle of the Soviet pilot I.A. Vishnyakova. In the central part of the complex, an eternal flame in the form of an airplane propeller burns. On the facade of the memorial there are plaques with the names of more than 2,000 hero pilots of the Soviet Union and the countries of the anti-fascist coalition. There is convenient parking next to the complex.


Prospekt Lenina

The southwestern highway of the city, the former Kyiv street, starts from the Kremlin and smoothly passes into the road to Yasnaya Polyana and further to Orel. According to the master plan of the 18th century, the first four quarters of Kievskaya Street were intended for the nobility, only stone construction from two floors and above was allowed here. The territories to the west of Kievskaya Street were reserved for merchants and townspeople, to the east - for civil servants. In Soviet times, the main city street and its surroundings were significantly rebuilt, but quite a lot of pre-revolutionary buildings have been preserved here.

House of the Noble Assembly, ave. Lenina, 44. One of the most important civil buildings in Tula, opened in 1856 and since then has played a special role in the cultural life of the city. The three-story brick corner house was originally designed by V.F. Fedoseev, but then the project was changed by local architects. Despite the strict external forms, inside the building has luxurious interiors with a cast-iron staircase and a columned hall with stucco and antique chandeliers. The Hall of Columns has excellent acoustics: Chaliapin, Utyosov and other famous artists and poets performed here - now it is the second concert venue of the Tula Philharmonic. The building of the Noble Assembly hosts classical music concerts, forums, performances, exhibitions of Tula artists. There is also a boutique hotel "Noble Assembly" with rooms named after famous people who visited this building: Leo Tolstoy, Ivan Turgenev, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Nicholas II, etc.
Church of Alexander Nevsky, pl. Alexander Nevsky, 1. ☎ +7 (4872) 21-13-00 7:00–20:00. The first temple of Tula, erected in the neo-Byzantine style (1881-1886), while before that the city was dominated mainly by classicist and baroque churches. It stands out among the sleeping area with its bright appearance and a large drum with a helmet-shaped completion. In Soviet times, the church became a hotbed of counter-revolution and was converted into a bakery. In 2005, the temple restored its appearance, close to pre-revolutionary, but the interior paintings were completely lost. Now it is a well-restored temple, popular among the military and the Tula Cossacks. On the square in front of the entrance to the church there is a bust of Alexander Nevsky.
Catholic Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, st. Leo Tolstoy, 85. ☎ +7 (4872) 70-12-31. Thu–Sat 15:00–19:00, Sun 10:00–17:00. The only Catholic church in Tula, built of red brick in pseudo-Gothic style in 1896. In Soviet times, the building housed the editorial office of the Tula Kommunar newspaper, the interior painting and statues of the apostles were lost. But the single-nave church itself with a high spire is relatively well preserved. In 2006-2007, the temple was reconstructed, and its interiors were painted in a modern style. In 2012, an organ was installed in the church, and now organ music concerts are held here from time to time. The church is hidden in the courtyards of residential buildings along Lev Tolstov Street and Lenin Avenue, in addition, in Tula there is also an Orthodox church of Peter and Paul, which is located just a kilometer from the Catholic one.
All Saints Cathedral, st. Leo Tolstoy, 79. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-41-01. 8:00–18:00. The temple is located on a hill at the entrance to the ancient All Saints cemetery. The cemetery appeared on the southern borders of the then Tula after the plague of 1771, now it is the largest city necropolis with more than 4000 tombstones of the 18th-19th centuries. The first stone church was built here in 1776, later the second floor was built on and, after all the changes of the 19th century, a high temple was built in the style of Russian classicism with baroque elements. The three-tier 82-meter bell tower was built by Vasily Fedoseev already in 1825: it is decorated with four figures of angels, and the high spire is visible even from the outskirts of the city. In Soviet times, after the closing of the Assumption Cathedral in the Kremlin, the temple became a cathedral and was never closed. The frescoes on biblical themes inside the temple were made by Moscow artists in 1955-1960. Around the cemetery on the territory of 34 hectares, a stone fence from the beginning of the 20th century has been preserved.
Temple of the Twelve Apostles, st. Oboronnaya, 94 (near the Vostochnaya bus station). ☎ +7 (4872) 37-09-14. 7:30–19:00. It was erected in stone form in 1903-1908. on the southern, Voronezh outskirts of Tula near Horse Square at the expense of the local confectioner V.E. Serikov, whose ashes lie at the southern wall of the temple. The five-domed church is connected by a refectory with a low hipped bell tower - built in the familiar Russian style of "ship". The walls are painted with copies of paintings on religious themes by famous artists. In Soviet times, the temple was not closed and has been operating for more than a hundred years.
Monument to L.N. Tolstoy   Wikidata item (on Lenina Prospekt not far from Belousov Central Park). The classic of Russian literature and the most famous writer of the Tula region was born and lived in the Yasnaya Polyana estate, 10 km from Tula, where he wrote most of his works. A six-meter bronze monument to Tolstoy in the regional center appeared only in 1973, although the idea had been there before, but because of financial difficulties, they were waiting for the onset of communism. The famous writer is depicted as a thoughtfully walking wanderer and, according to the sculptor's plan, he should be barefoot, which made him closer to the people and corresponded to the real habits of Lev Nikolayevich. But the party leadership decided that it was better to put Tolstoy in boots. For a long time, on the opposite side of Lenin Avenue, there was an old distillery, which has now been transformed into the Likerka-Loft art cluster, so Tula students often call the monument “Tolstoy goes for vodka.” Around the monument, Tolstovsky Square is laid out with fountains and black slabs (“stones of truth”), on which quotes from the famous writer are engraved.
Art object "Taming the English flea by the Tula Lefty" (in the courtyard of the Likerka-loft shopping center). The original sculpture in the steampunk style was opened in May 2016, on the occasion of the 135th anniversary of the release of Leskov's story "The Tale of the Tula Oblique Lefty and the Steel Flea". In contrast to the literary version, the cyborg flea is made in the size of 1200:1 and is clearly larger than the shoemaker. From the outside, it looks like a battle between a man and a 3.5-meter armed mechanical monster. The left-hander is of ordinary human height and looks more like a shadow - anyone can take his place for spectacular photos. In addition to sculpture, you can visit the atmospheric Likerka Loft art space, which was organized on the territory of the former old distillery.
Sculpture "Student tail". A miniature sculpture next to the second building of the Tula State University is dedicated to student tails, or rather their absence. The 29 cm lizard with a record book, looking at its missing tail, was smelted from copper nickels, which students put under their heels to pass exams. And on the white column, on top of which she stands, the inscription “Tails net” is applied in a circle.
Monument to the defenders of Tula ("Three bayonets"), Victory Square (next to the bus station). A memorial in honor of the participants in the heroic defense of Tula in 1941 was installed on the front line of hostilities, the modern Victory Square. The sculpture of a soldier and a militia, standing shoulder to shoulder next to the eternal flame, is complemented by high steel bayonets, symbolizing the power of the Tula weapon.



The modern Proletarian district of Tula, which grew on the right bank of the Upa from the former Chulkovskaya settlement, which was adjacent to the Armory, and most of its inhabitants were also artisans. Now it is quite a large, but the least interesting part of the city, which includes many nearby villages.

Church of Theodosius of Chernigov (Pokrovsky Church), st. Kalinina, 10A. 7:00–19:00. The church was founded in honor of St. Theodosius of Chernigov for residents of the outskirts of the Chulkovskaya Sloboda in 1903 and was originally supposed to have five domes. A year later, the walls of the building in the neo-Russian style were brought to the cornices, but due to financial difficulties, it was decided to build only one large dome. Further lack of money, the First World War, and then the revolution prevented the construction from being completed. In Soviet times, the building was used as a warehouse. In 1991, an octagonal wide drum was completed, and now it is one of the most beautiful churches in the Proletarian district of Tula.
Bogorodichny Shcheglovsky Monastery, st. Lisa Chaikina, 1. ☎ +7 (4872) 41-30-24. The monastery on the northeastern outskirts of the city (Shcheglovskaya notch) was founded in 1859, now there are two churches and a bell tower on its territory. The five-domed cathedral church in the Russian style was consecrated in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "Mammal-giver" - there are no more churches dedicated to this icon in Russia. The Nikandorovsky church of the monastery with a single dome was built in 1886. The territory of the monastery is well landscaped, there is a private park and a monastery hotel for pilgrims.



Weapon Museum  , st. October, 2. ☎ +7 (4872) 31-10-04. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–21:00. 500 rub. adults, children under 14 - free of charge. The largest and most famous museum in the city, which tells the history of weapons production in Tula and clearly demonstrates the evolution of small arms and edged weapons from the 14th century to the present. A unique collection of weapons began to form in the bowels of the Tula Arms Plant in the first quarter of the 18th century, but the museum was opened to the general public only in 1873. In Soviet times, the museum moved from the factory to the city center, and since 1989 the exhibitions have been housed in the building of the reconstructed Epiphany Cathedral in the Kremlin - the "old building". Since 2012, the museum has moved to a new building on the right bank of the Upa River, built in the form of a helmet of an ancient Russian warrior. In 2017, work was completed on the creation of a new permanent exhibition “The History of small arms and edged weapons from the 14th century to the present”, which occupies several floors and is complemented by interactive complexes with electronic scoreboards and virtual storytellers. A close inspection of the entire collection can take a whole day, and for an additional fee, you can take a virtual helicopter flight or shoot at a shooting range on the basement floor. On the ground floor of the museum there is a cafe and a souvenir shop. Around the helmet building there is a free exhibition of military equipment: tanks, multiple launch rocket systems, air defense. And in front of the entrance there is an alley of glory with busts of the famous weapons designers of Tula.
Museum "Tula Samovars"  , st. Mendeleevskaya, 8 (to the left of the main entrance to the Kremlin). ☎ +7 (4872) 31-23-33. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–21:00. 350 rub. The second most popular museum in Tula is located in a classic building with columns at the Odoevsky Gate of the Kremlin. Before the revolution, the House of Educational Institutions named after Emperor Alexander II was located here. The museum presents a unique collection of samovars of various shapes and sizes: from tiny - three drops of water to buffet - 70 liters. Here you can also learn about the history of samovar craft in Tula from the end of the 18th century to the present. The exhibits are located in two halls: the first contains masterpieces of the 18th - first half of the 19th centuries, in the second - samovars of the second half of the 19th - early 20th centuries. Photography is included in the ticket price.
Museum "Tula Gingerbread", st. October, 45A. ☎ +7 (4872) 34-70-70. Wed-Sun: 9:00–17:00, break from 14:00 to 15:00. 100 rub. A small museum at the Staraya Tula confectionery factory. It consists of two halls, where gingerbreads of various shapes are presented. There is also a store where you can immediately buy gingerbread. For additional money, you can order a tour with a tasting (by appointment by phone).
Museum "Tula Kremlin" (Cashier next to the tower of the Odoevsky Gates). ☎ +7 (4872) 77-49-34. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00. Complex ticket for exhibitions of the Kremlin 300 rubles. Entrance to the territory of the Tula Kremlin is free, but in the museum you can order sightseeing tours of it, take a walk along the battle route, as well as visit the siege yards, the archaeological window and exhibition halls, which show a small copy of the Tula Kremlin of the 17th century on a scale of 1:130. The archaeological window is a glass pavilion with a mothballed archaeological excavation three meters deep between the Assumption and Epiphany Cathedrals. It was at this place that the first stone Assumption Cathedral of the 17th century was located, the model of which was recreated on a scale of 1:120. Here you can see the cleaned foundation of this temple. Through the glass, you can see all this for free, they are allowed inside the pavilion only with a guided tour. Siege courtyards - a complex of huts recreated in 2020, in which the inhabitants of the Tula Kremlin took refuge from enemy raids in the 17th century - at that time there were 129 siege courtyards in the Tula Kremlin.
Tula Regional Museum of Local Lore, st. Sovetskaya, 68. ☎ +7 (4872) 30-79-75. Tue-Thursday, Sun: 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 200 rub. About 150,000 exhibits dedicated to the history of the Tula land from prehistoric times to the Great Patriotic War are presented in ten thematic halls: archaeological finds, stuffed animals, household items, products of Tula craftsmen, folk costumes, weapons, etc.
Tula Museum of Fine Arts (Art Museum)  , st. Engels, 64 (near the Belousov park). ☎ +7 (4872) 35-40-53. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 300 rub. The museum was opened in 1919 on the basis of works of art nationalized from the noble estates of the Tula province (Bobrinsky, Olsufiev, Gagarin, Obolensky, Urusov, etc.), and the fund of the Chamber of Antiquities (since 1902). Now it is located in a building erected according to the project of the Tula architect P. M. Zaitsev in 1964. Of the more than 23 thousand works of art stored in the museum, paintings by famous Russian artists S. Ushakov, V. Borovikovsky, I. Levitan, V. Surikov, I. Shishkin, K. Korovin, V. Polenov, V. Serov, as well as such representatives of the avant-garde as K. Malevich, D. Shterenberg, A. Rodchenko, V. Rozhdestvensky. Among the foreign masters are the French E. Lesueur, G. Robert, K. Vernet, the Dutch J. Vonk, J. Janson, K. Molenar, G. Flink, the Italians D. Fetti, L. Giordano, L. Bassano. In addition to paintings, the permanent exhibition includes sculptures, glassware and porcelain.
Historical and Memorial Museum of the Demidovs (Necropolis of the Demidovs), st. Demidovskaya, 9 (next to the Nikolo-Zaretskaya Church). ☎ +7 (4872) 39-37-74. Tue-Thursday, Sun: 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 150 rub. In the museum, opened in 1996 on the occasion of the 340th anniversary of the birth of the Tula gunsmith Nikita Demidov, one can get acquainted with unique items from the archaeological excavations of the tomb of the Demidov family, samples of the early Tula weapons production of the 16th-18th centuries, Ural-made copper utensils, rare images of representatives of this dynasty of talented mining entrepreneurs. The family tomb of the Demidovs is located nearby, in the Nikolo-Zaretskaya church.
Museum of Decorative, Applied and Folk Art, st. Metallistov, 12. ☎ +7 (4872) 77-04-20. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00. 150 rub. The museum fund contains authentic antiquities of the mid-18th-early 20th centuries. - all this is located in two rooms. The first hall presents the life of Tula peasants with original handicraft items. In the second hall, the contrast is the life of wealthy citizens with manufactory high-tech products, objects of European and Russian art. The museum building is located on the pedestrian Metallistov Street in a pre-revolutionary petty-bourgeois mansion.
Exhibition hall  , Krasnoarmeisky prospekt, 16. ☎ +7 (4872) 56-09-92. Tue-Thursday, Sun: 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 150 rub. Another art museum that focuses on contemporary art, but there are also exhibitions of classical Russian and European painting. In addition to exhibitions, meetings with artists, various master classes are held, the purpose of which is proclaimed to be to bring art closer to the people. Across the road, diagonally from the Exhibition Hall, you can see a small sculpture of the dog Aifka, who holds the Arguments and Facts newspaper in his mouth.
Military History Museum   (Museum and Exhibition Complex of the Tula Kremlin). ☎ +7 (4872) 77-49-36. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00. 350 rub. Tells about the military history of the Tula region from the Battle of Kulikovo to the Great Patriotic War and Afghanistan. There are not so many genuine unique exhibits, since the museum is new (it has been operating since 2017), but there are many interactive zones, installations and reconstructions.
Armored train No. 13 "Tula worker"   (on the first platform of the Moscow railway station). ☎ +7 (953) 955-18-21. 🕑 Wed–Sun 11:00–19:00. Excursion 300 rubles per person An armored train restored in 2015 that took part in the defense of Tula in the late autumn of 1941. Outside, the armored train can be viewed directly from the first platform of the Moscow railway station for free. Inside there are historical documents telling about the battle path of the armored train. Of greatest interest is the reconstruction of the environment of the headquarters and liaison cars, the bakery car, as well as places for sleeping and resting the personnel of the armored train.
Memorial Museum of N. I. Beloborodov, ave. Lenina, 16. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-18-85. Tue-Thursday, Sun: 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 150 rub. Dedicated to Nikolai Ivanovich Beloborodov, creator of the two-row chromatic hand harmonica and organizer of the world's first harmonica orchestra. Located in a two-story mansion built by his grandfather. The most important exhibit of the museum is the chromatic harmonica invented by Beloborodov in the 1870s. The building also hosts musical and creative evenings.
House-Museum of V.V. Veresaeva  Wikidata Element  , st. Gogolevskaya, 82. ☎ +7 (4872) 56-77-31. Tue-Thursday, Sun: 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00, Mon – day off. 150 rub. It was opened in honor of the writer, translator, Pushkinist and literary critic Vikenty Vikentyevich Veresaev in a wooden house of the middle of the 19th century, which belonged to his parents, the Smidovich family. In Tula, Veresaev spent his childhood and youth, his father was V.I. Smidovich, a well-known Tula doctor. The basis of the exposition, in addition to antique furniture, is books and documents by V.V. Veresaev and his parents.
Museum of P.N. Krylova, st. Kutuzova, 10. ☎ +7 (4872) 41-04-60. Sun–Thursday 10:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 10:00–20:00. 150 rub. The museum is dedicated to the life and work of Porfiry Nikitich Krylov, People's Artist of the USSR, who was a member of the Kukryniksy team. The exhibits are paintings, drawings and archival documents of the artist, donated to the museum by his son.
Museum and Exhibition Center "Tula Antiquities"  , ave. Lenina, 47. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-16-63. 10:00–18:00. The museum has two expositions. The first is located in a mansion built at the beginning of the 20th century in the Art Nouveau style by the merchant Ermolaev-Zverev - here are exhibits dedicated to the Battle of Kulikovo, including armor and weapons of the battle participants. The second exposition is located in the reconstructed hut of the Tula craftsman and is dedicated to the life and traditions of the Tula masters.
Tula Defense Museum, st. Ryazanskaya, 25. ☎ +7 (4872) 26-82-20. Sun–Thursday 11:00–18:00, Fri–Sat 11:00–19:00. 350 rub. Tula analogue of the Patriot park near Moscow on the eastern outskirts of the city. The exposition is dedicated to the heroic defense of Tula in 1941 and occupies about 3,000 square meters. meters. Here you can see old and new military equipment, recreated scenes of military operations, a monument to "polite people", there is a cafe with the same name.



Central Park of Culture and Leisure. P.P. Belousov. The largest park in Tula, covering an area of 143 hectares, was designed like the Bois de Boulogne in Paris. It was opened in 1893 on the site of a former landfill on the initiative of the Tula sanitary doctor Pyotr Belousov, after whom it was named. Now it is a natural monument with 90 species of trees and shrubs, on the territory of which there is a forest, three ponds and a recreational area. There is a beach on the shore of the middle pond in summer. The park is aimed at a wide category of visitors: there are rides with a Ferris wheel, a cafe, a zoo, a fountain, sports and playgrounds, ecological trails, smooth asphalt paths for walking and cycling. On a vast territory you can find monuments to the founder of the park P.P. Belousov, poet S.A. Yesenin, writer V.V. Veresaev and many other modern sculptures and art objects.
Batashevsky garden. The park was founded in the 18th century by representatives of the Tula industrial dynasty, the gunsmiths Batashevs. It is located in the northern part of the city on both banks of the Tulitsa River, connected by a pedestrian bridge. The park has many trees, paved paths, sports and playgrounds.
Komsomolsky park. A well-maintained park in the District with rental points, cafes, children's and sports grounds, there is an artificial pond with ducks and a spring. The main alley leads to the territory of the former Klokovo airfield. In front of the entrance to the park there is a monument to the captain of the Varyag cruiser V.V. Rudnev.
Rogozhinsky park. Opened in Soviet times in the south-east of the city, next to the ravines near the Rogozhnya River. In 1941, the front line of the city's defense passed here - at the site of the death of one of the creators of the Tula people's militia, G.A. Ageev erected a monument. In addition to the amenities traditional for other parks, the only ice arena in Tula "Tropic" stands out, where skates are rented.
Proletarian Park. One of the youngest parks in Tula, covering an area of 33 hectares on the northeastern outskirts of the city, was created on the basis of birch plantations of the 1950s. Many sports fields with football fields and tennis courts.



Tula Academic Drama Theatre, prosp. Lenina, 34A. ☎ +7 (4872) 31-11-69.10:00–20:00. It has been leading its history since 1777, after 11 years it was visited by Empress Catherine II. The actor M.S. performed here. Shchepkin, works by L.N. Tolstoy with the personal presence of the author. It is located in a spacious building built in 1970 with classic interiors and with the sculptural composition "Muses" on the facade, nearby in 2008 a square with fountains was opened. The repertoire of the theater combines classical and modern productions.
Tula Regional Theater for Young Spectators, st. Comintern, 2. ☎ +7 (4872) 56–97–66. Tue–Sun 10:00–18:00. A variety of children's performances, puppet shows, has been operating since 1931.
Chamber Drama Theatre, st. Dzerzhinsky, 8. ☎ +7 (4872) 30–45–96. The first private professional theater in Tula, founded in 1999. Since 2005 he has been working in a permanent building with a hall for 45 people. There are few scenery, the repertoire is small, but the actors are trying.


Other entertainment

Tula Exotarium. The local zoo, which turned out to be specialized - more than 2,000 species of reptiles and amphibians live here. Rare birds and mammals are also represented. It is located in two buildings in different parts of the city.
New exotarium exposition, st. Pervomaiskaya 13A, bldg. 10 (TsPKiO named after P.P. Belousov). ☎ +7 (4872) 77-01-18. Tue–Sun 10:00–20:00. 300 rub. Tropical atmosphere with branchy trees and enclosures where you can see more than 100 species of exotic animals: lizards, meerkats, raccoons, snakes, piranhas.
Old exotarium exposition, st. October, 26. ☎ +7 (4872) 47-53-92. Wed–Sun 10:00–20:00. 200 rub. It is housed in a historic mansion, where at the entrance visitors are greeted by a sculpture of the "Tula dinosaur". Inside a fairly small building, snakes, turtles, frogs, parrots, monitor lizards and a number of other representatives of the fauna are represented. Animal feeding demonstrations are held.
Tula State Circus, st. Sovetskaya, 96. ☎ +7 (4872) 31-12-98. 10:00–19:00. One of the oldest circuses in Russia, operating since 1870. The modern building of the circus was renovated in 2015 and now has a capacity of 2,500 spectators. In addition to traditional circus programs, there are ice shows and water performances. There is a buffet and photo zones with clowns.
Tula Regional Philharmonic, ave. Lenina, 51. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-77-96. 10:00–19:00. The building of the Philharmonic, built at the beginning of the 20th century, combines the styles of neoclassicism and modernity, was opened in 1912 as the Noble Club, after the revolution it housed a drama theater. The Philharmonic, which appeared in Tula in 1937, moved to a modern building already in the 1970s, its second stage is located in the house of the Noble Assembly. Now the Tula Symphony Orchestra performs here, various artists conduct tours, and ballet performances are organized.
Dolina X Active Leisure Center  , Shchekinskoe shosse, 6. ☎ +7 (960) 615–00–70. Mon–Fri 12:00–22:00, Sat–Sun 11:00–23:00. A wide range of entertainment for winter and summer outdoor recreation: ski slopes, snowboarding, tubing, rope park, trampoline, paintball. You can rent all the necessary equipment. In summer, festivals and banquets are held in "Valley X", for this there is a cafe with a dance floor. Located on the southern outskirts of the city, public transport to the stop "Kosogorsky bridge".


Holidays and festivals

"City Day" (second weekend of September) - the city administration usually puts on a parade and musical programs throughout the city. In the evening, a concert of Russian pop stars takes place on Lenin Square, ending with colorful fireworks.
"Theatre Yard" - a carnival procession, performances of street theaters, musical and circus performances on the city streets, in parks and squares.
Tula Wings is an annual festival of aircraft modeling. Demonstration performances with the performance of aerobatics, drone races.
"Smile, Russia" is an annual film festival for viewing musical and comedy films.
Gingerbread Day is an annual festival dedicated to the main Tula delicacy.


Getting here

By plane

The nearest passenger airport to Tula is located in Kaluga, from where there are not very frequent flights to St. Petersburg, Sochi, Mineralnye Vody and Yerevan. But it is convenient, first of all, for Tula residents, who can comfortably drive 100 km along an unloaded road in their own car and leave it there in a guarded parking lot. It is more convenient for guests of Tula to fly to Moscow, from where it is easy to get to Tula by train or bus. In the north of Tula, there is its own Klokovo airport, which has not been operating for a long time, and there are no plans to restore it for civil aviation.


By train

Trains and electric trains run from Moscow to Tula, they can depart from different stations.

From the Kursk railway station: the most convenient daytime "Lastochki" to Kursk and Belgorod, reaching Tula in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, the Moscow-Tula express train runs, the carriages of which look like an ordinary electric train, but tickets are sold with seats and are slightly cheaper than for Lastochka; on the way 2 h 40 min. Finally, the cheapest option is a classic train (however, equipped with air conditioning and Wi-Fi), which takes 3.5 hours to Tula with all stops.

Long-distance trains run from Vostochny Station, mostly transit from St. Petersburg, on the way 2.5-3 hours. Tickets for reserved seats are comparable in price to Lastochka. The train St. Petersburg - Belgorod with inexpensive seated cars is especially convenient. The rest of the long-distance trains go mainly to resorts and therefore have a seasonal character. It is not worth going to Tula from the Kievsky railway station, unless you want to make a big train journey with a stop in Kaluga, the journey takes from 5.5 hours

In the direction of Orel, one electric train per day. It consists of old wagons without air conditioning and slowly drags for 3.5 hours, so it’s more convenient to go by “Swallow” or a long-distance train, which will take about 2 hours.

The main Moscow-Kursk railway intersects in Tula with chord lines, on which there are relatively few trains. Diesels go to Novomoskovsk (2 hours), Aleksin (1.5 hours) and Suvorov (2 hours). There are long-distance trains to Kaluga (often at inconvenient times), and commuter diesels (3-3.5 hours) do not run every day, and most likely you will go by bus.

There are two stations in Tula: the main Moscow and the auxiliary Ryazhsky. Most likely, you will arrive at Moskovsky Station, although some exotic trains arrive at Ryazhsky.

Moscow railway station (Tula-1-Kurskaya), st. Puteyskaya, 2. Around the clock. The main Tula railway station is located 3 km from the center, the Kremlin is 35-40 minutes on foot or 5-6 stops by public transport. It is best to sit down at the beginning of Krasnoarmeisky Prospekt, from where almost all transport goes to the station. Trams also drive up to the station, but their stop is 300 m to the north (towards Moscow). The building was repeatedly rebuilt and acquired its modern look in 1953-56. - This is an atypical monument of post-war classicism with frescoes on a communist theme. Directly in front of the station is a rather expressive monument to “Tulyak gunsmiths and soldiers of the First World War”, right on the platform there is a military memorial, and on the tracks there is an armored train turned into a museum. Also at the station there is a memorial plaque announcing the friendly meeting of L.N. Tolstoy and Turgenev: the importance of this event is that a few years before, two great Russian writers had quarreled to death and even planned to arrange a duel.

Of the useful things at the station, there are toilets, a waiting room, a buffet and left-luggage offices, as well as long-term rest rooms. There are dozens of stalls with gingerbread in front of the station. Located behind the Moskva Hotel, the Sarafan shopping center has a Lenta supermarket, a souvenir shop and a couple of cafes.

Ryazhsky railway station (Tula-Vyazemskaya), st. Ryazhskaya, 10. Around the clock. A small station on a non-mainline non-electrified line. Diesel engines to Uzlovaya and Novomoskovsk stop here, as well as those rare long-distance trains that for some reason turn there. There are long-distance commuter trains passing Tula in transit and stopping only at the Ryazhsky railway station, but trains with the final in Tula always depart from the Moscow railway station. There is nothing else in the building except for the ticket office and the waiting room. From here, about a kilometer to the Museum of Weapons and 2 km to the Kremlin. The nearest stop is Arsenalnaya on Oktyabrskaya Street.


By bus

Buses run from Moscow to Tula from the Novoyasenevskaya bus station to the Tula bus station, as well as minibuses of several companies, including MPP (Orekhovo bus station in Moscow - Severnaya bus station in Tula). Departure from morning to late evening, travel time - 2.5-3 hours, accurate to Moscow traffic jams. There may be additional minibuses from the Moscow railway station, the Tula bus station and the Severnaya bus station to almost any metro station in the south of Moscow, but they run less frequently and on an unpredictable schedule.

From other cities, buses often run to Tula only from Kaluga, on average every hour, the journey takes 2.5 hours. From Orel, buses run rarely and take a long time (3.5 hours) - choose the train. There are 5 buses a day from Ryazan, the journey takes 4 hours. There are also daily buses to the Tula bus station from Lipetsk, Bryansk, Voronezh, Kursk and Smolensk.

Bus station, Lenin Ave., 94. ☎ +7 (4872) 33-25-45. around the clock. The main bus station of Tula is located in the southern part of the city (bus station bus stop), almost at the very end of Lenin Avenue, 4 km from the Kremlin. Most buses depart from here, both interregional and regional. There are fast food and communication points in the bus station building and around it, the Tula Hotel is located nearby.
Bus station "Northern", st. October, 297A. ☎ +7 (4872) 76-02-04. 3:00–00:45. A new bus station opened in January 2021 at the exit from Tula towards the capital. There is a waiting room, a cafe and a comfortable toilet. By city public transport, you need to go to the stop "Geroya Karpov Street". Buses and minibuses depart from here to Moscow, Aleksin and Yasnogorsk.
Vostochnaya bus station, Oboronnaya st., 83. ☎ +7 (4872) 76-03-18. 5:30–21:30. Another bus station in a new building, opened in January 2021 in the southeastern part of the city. Inside there is an inexpensive canteen, a pharmacy, a Tula gingerbread and souvenir shop, a comfortable toilet and a waiting room. Stop urban public transport - "Street Oboronnaya". Departure of flights to Venev and other eastern settlements of the region.


By car

From Moscow along the M2E105 highway (Simferopol highway), the distance from the Moscow Ring Road is 160 km. On most of the route, the speed limit is 110 km / h, this is a motorway without a single traffic light, bypassing settlements and with at least two lanes in each direction.

The M4E115 Don toll road can serve as an alternative road from Moscow. Near Venev, turn onto the P132 Venevskoe highway, the distance in this case will be 190 km.


Around the city

Buses, trolleybuses, trams and private minibuses run in Tula. The tram network is extensive and quite large, but the cars themselves are relatively old, the buses and trolleybuses are newer. Travel by any type of municipal transport: 25 rubles. in cash, 21 rubles. – by contactless bank card (2022). You can also use the Troika card, including the Moscow card, which has a minimum fare of 19 rubles in 2022. In Tula, "Troika" is sold at suburban ticket offices of railway stations and at all bus stations.

In minibuses, the fare is 25 rubles, regardless of the method of payment; everywhere there are terminals for bank cards. Minibuses in Tula run more often than municipal transport, and are not inferior to it in terms of comfort. All cars are equipped with automatic doors, the old Gazelles and PAZs are no more. Payment for all modes of transport - at the entrance (usually to the driver, but sometimes there are conductors). At the central stops there are electronic boards with information about arrival. Also, city transport is displayed in real time in Yandex maps.

There are paid car parks in the city center, tow trucks are actively working, monitoring the situation from cameras. Do not leave the car under prohibition signs. Parking is paid on weekdays from 9:00 to 19:00, the cost is 40 rubles. per hour (parking information).

The city is also trying to create a network of bike lanes, but the city is ill-suited to cycling due to high curbstones and narrow pitted sidewalks. Tula residents love to ride along the bike paths in Central Park, where there is also a bike rental service. With scooters, it turned out much more successfully - they can be easily found and rented almost anywhere in the city center, where the roads are better.

During the summer navigation along the Upa River, a pleasure river tram runs from the pier near the Proletarian Bridge.



The most popular local souvenir is Tula gingerbread, which has become a well-known brand throughout the country. The gingerbread has a flat shape, and, due to the presence of honey in the dough, it can bend and not break, and also does not get stale for a long time. The fillings can be different: from condensed milk to various fruit additives, but the dough is quite dry and hard. The Tula gingerbread has its official history since 1685 and became very popular in the Russian Empire, but after the revolution, the original recipe was practically lost. In 1954, they tried to restore it, and now two largest factories produce gingerbread in Tula: Yasnaya Polyana and Staraya Tula - in the first one you can sign up for a production tour, in the second there is a museum in the city center. Gingerbread in Tula is also baked by small bakeries, the number of which is growing.

Modern recipes are far from pre-revolutionary: there is less honey and preservatives have appeared, but the gingerbread is still quite tasty. Gingerbreads from the Yasnaya Polyana factory are stored for 2.5 months and are considered tastier than Staraya Tula products, which are not afraid of even half a year. But it is better to buy gingerbread baked no later than 20 days ago. Tula gingerbread has a different shape: from the usual rectangular ones, which can be found in chain stores throughout Russia, to gift original shapes and large sizes, which are a pity to eat. Buying gingerbread in Tula is not a problem: they are sold in the Kremlin's Trading Rows, at the collapse near the Moscow railway station, in several gingerbread museums, on highways, as well as in Tula Gingerbread stores, where there is a larger assortment, but also higher prices.

As a souvenir in Tula, you can buy a real or stylized samovar, as well as a Tula whistle. Shopping as such is concentrated in the center in the area of Sovetskaya Street and on the outskirts in the area of the Eastern bypass. In good weather, souvenirs are sold in front of the entrance to the Kremlin near the building of the Museum of Samovars. A large selection of souvenirs at good prices in the Trading Rows of the Tula Kremlin. There are also specialized souvenir shops in Tula, some of which are located on the main streets of the city, others - in shopping centers.

Gift and souvenir shop "Tula Gingerbread". A local network of shops with a large assortment of souvenirs (samovars, magnets, plates, etc.), Tula gingerbread, Belyov pastila, Suvorov sweets are sold, but prices are slightly higher than the average for the city.
1   Ave. Lenina, 30. ☎ +7 (4872) 71-00-03. 9:00–21:00.
2   st. October, 35. ☎ +7 (4872) 70-05-65. 9:00–21:00.
3   st. October, 99A. ☎ +7 (4872) 74-04-95. 9:00–21:00.

Shopping center "Gostiny Dvor" ("Gostinka"), st. Sovetskaya, 47 (on Lenin Square). 10:00–22:00. A large shopping and office center near the Kremlin. A large selection of shops, including the Perekrestok supermarket, clothing, footwear, electronics stores, etc. There are restaurants and cafes in the building, including Vkusno - i dotka, KFC, Burger King, etc.
Shopping center "Sarafan", st. Puteyskaya, 5. 10:00–21:00. Convenient shopping center near the Moscow railway station. There is a Lenta supermarket, a large souvenir shop with a good assortment, as well as clothing and footwear stores, Burger King and several other cafes.
Mall "Maxi", st. Proletarskaya, 2. 10:00–21:00. The largest shopping and entertainment center in the Tula region with the largest selection of stores of various profiles in the city, including the OBI hypermarket, there are fast foods "Vkusno - i dot" and Burger King. On the second floor there is a cinema "Cinema Star", and in the spacious parking lot of the mall there is a Ferris wheel and the museum "Inverted House" in sneakers.
Mall "Rio", st. Proletarskaya, 22A. 10:00–21:00. A large shopping center in the Proletarsky District with a large selection of chain stores, cafes and the Cinema Park cinema.
SEC "Likerka-loft", st. Lenina 85, building 1. 10:00–21:00. The most original shopping center, which is positioned as an art space. It occupies a converted brick building of a former distillery. Here you can find trendy cafes, coffee houses, hookah bars, vape shops, barbershops, craft beer shops, co-working spaces, Foggy’s anti-cinema, clothing stores and other goods. Unlike other shopping centers, most of the shops and cafes are non-chain. In the courtyard there is an original sculpture of a cyborg flea.



Tula public catering is quite diverse and should satisfy most tourists. Tula is proud of its gingerbread, Belyov apple marshmallows and Suvorov chocolates. Tea can also be drunk from the Tula samovar.

You can start your gastronomic journey with tea from a Tula samovar with Tula gingerbread. You can do this in the Gingerbread Museum on Oktyabrskaya, which is located on the territory of the Staraya Tula factory. But you need to sign up for the tour in advance. In the shop at the factory you can buy souvenir gingerbread and sweets.

1   Cafe "Traktir", st. Turgenevskaya, 69. ☎ +7 (4872) 36-35-43. Mon–Fri 10:00–17:00, Sat-Sun - day off. Lunch 200-300 rubles. Self-service canteen with handouts and trays, very low prices, edible food and rude service.
2 Cafe "Samarkand", Khlebnaya Square, 4/1 (next to the Central Market). ☎ +7 (905) 117-71-76. Tue–Sun 8:00–20:00, Mon – day off. Hearty lunch 350-400 rubles. A small cafe with traditional Uzbek meat dishes, a modest interior, but large portions (you can take a half) and nice prices. By evening, the assortment is greatly reduced.
Cafe "Vkusnov". Business lunch 200 rub. A chain of self-service cafes, all of which are combined with Spar supermarkets. Officially prohibited, but in fact you can sit with the food you bought from Spar. Free WiFi. Business lunches from 12:00 to 16:00.
3   Krasnoarmeisky prospect, 8. 9:00–22:00.
4   Lenin Avenue, 83B. 9:00–22:00.

Average cost
5  Pizzeria "Mama Mia", st. Demonstrations, 1A. ☎ +7 (4872) 55-58-88. Mon–Sun 00:00–24:00. Hot from 400 rub. Cozy interior in French style, children's play area, a good range of hot dishes. They praise pizza, potato balls and milkshake, free Wi-Fi. There are several other similar establishments in the center of Tula.
6 Restaurant "Vkusno - and the point" (Former McDonald's), st. October, 40. ☎ +7 (4872) 47-63-79. Mon–Sun 07:00–00:00. Hamburger "Big Special" 270 rubles Russian chain of fast food restaurants with a focus on hamburgers, rolls and french fries. There are several more establishments in the shopping centers of Tula.
7  Pizzeria "Tomato", Lenina Avenue, 54A. ☎ +7 (4872) 52-34-68. Sun–Thursday 11:00–22:00, Fri–Sat 11:00–23:00. Pizza 30 cm 500 rub. The combination of a warm homely atmosphere with a pleasant interior is focused on families and large groups of friends, there is a children's play area. Ordinary pizza is served on a thin crust, mega-pizza is served on a fluffy one. Free WiFi.
8  Metropol Restaurant  , Lenina Avenue, 40. ☎ +7 (4872) 77-01-14. Mon–Thu 11:00–23:00, Fri–Sun 12:00–00:00. Business lunch 300 rub. The menu is relatively small, focused on banquets. Business lunch from 12:00 to 16:00.

9  Restaurant "Spices & Joys"  , st. Oktyabrskaya, 1D. ☎ +7 (4872) 77-30-07. Sun–Thursday 12:00–23:00, Fri–Sat 12:00–00:00. Hot from 800 rub. Restaurant of Georgian cuisine of the Ginza network, from the summer veranda of which you can see the Museum of Weapons and the Upa River. Best suited for large companies and romantic meetings. Open kitchen, slow service, on the third floor the interior is more comfortable than on the second. Served pkhali (cold appetizer of grape leaves, beets, and spinach with nuts), pilaf, dorado (fish) on the coals, lobio harkalia (beans with adjika), zgapari (chocolate honey cake). Bar, free Wi-Fi.
10  Restaurant-brewery "Pyotr Petrovich", st. Pervomaiskaya, 13A k15 (Central Park named after P.P. Belousov). ☎ +7 (4872) 71-74-00. Sun–Thursday 12:00–23:00, Fri–Sat 12:00–00:00,. Hot from 600 rub. Named in honor of Dr. Belousov, on whose initiative a park was laid out in 1893, on whose territory the institution is located. On the second floor there is a balcony with a beautiful view of the park alleys. There are only 3 floors, part of the first one is occupied by a brewery, where dark, light, Viennese and wheat beers are brewed, craft beers are also available. On weekends, it is better to book a table in advance. Large portions of beef jerky, cheese patches, Polish soup, lamb leg, mussels in shells, homemade yoghurt ice cream are served. Bar, free Wi-Fi.
11  Restaurant PUBLIC  , st. Demonstrations, 22. ☎ +7 (910) 557-77-11. 9:00–00:00. Hot from 700 rub. Eastern European cuisine and pleasant atmosphere. "Public" has a good selection of dishes, including traditional Serbian and Czech, the portions are average. In the open kitchen, goulash soup in bread, splash, Karađorđev schnitzel, dolma, risotto, tuna steak are prepared. On the open veranda you can hide with a blanket. Bar, free Wi-Fi.
12 Gastronomic bar "Chek-in Bar", st. Sovetskaya, 29 (Hotel "SK Royal", 1st floor). ☎ +7 (4872) 25-55-11. 12:00–02:00. Hot from 700 rub. A cozy gastropub with polite waiters and friendly bartenders. Alcohol, including craft beer and cocktails, is good, the usual dishes are a little worse than in a traditional restaurant.
13  Restaurant-bar Kultura  , Sovetskaya 11/4 (Urban space Iskra). ☎ +7 (4872) 79-09-00. Sun–Thursday 12:00–23:00, Fri–Sat 12:00–4:00. Hot from 600 rub. A trendy restaurant and bar with a stylish interior next to the pedestrian street Metallistov. Author's cuisine and cocktails at the bar. From 12 to 16 business lunches for 500 rubles.


Night life

With the onset of darkness, it is good to walk around the territory of the Kremlin, Sovetskaya Street and Lenin Avenue, admire the illumination of buildings. Alcohol is sold in stores from 14:00 to 22:00, later you have to go to cafes, restaurants and clubs.

1 Night club Pyramida, st. Sovetskaya, 10. ☎ +7 (920) 755–88–99. Thu–Sun 12:00–5:00. A popular nightclub in the city center with a large bar.
2  Strip club "Lighter", st. Boldin, 45 (Business Center "Europe"). ☎ +7 (800) 333–88–68. 22:00–6:00. Polite staff. Face control. Prices are above average.



1 Hostel "At the Kremlin", st. Dzerzhinsky, 10. ☎ +7 (4872) 65-77-01. Bed from 500 rubles. Single accommodation - 1200 rubles. Hostel 5 minutes from the Kremlin, rooms for up to 8 people, kitchen with kettle and microwave. Free WiFi.
2  Hotel "Podvorye"  , st. Zhukovsky, 9 (center, 650 m to the Tula Kremlin). ☎ +7 (499) 677-52-88. Single room from 2000 rubles, double room from 2200 rubles. Economy class hotel. Located in the center, on a quiet street, just a 10-minute walk from the Kremlin and Lenin Square. Comfortable rooms with a private bathroom (shower, sink, toilet), free private parking (not reserved in advance) and free Wi-Fi access. Breakfast 270 rub.
3 European Guest House, st. Voykova, 39 (400 meters from the circus). ☎ +7 (4872) 36-19-91. Single room from 1900 rubles, double room from 2300 rubles. 37 rooms, restaurant, bar. Minus - narrow beds and ill-conceived interior design. Free WiFi.

Average cost
4 Hotel Moscow, st. Puteyskaya, 3 (Moscow station square). ☎ +7 (4872) 55-89-52. Single room from 2500 rubles, double room from 3000 rubles. Large 8-storey hotel with 180 rooms with not the newest furniture, cafe, bar, beauty salon. The windows overlook the building of the Moscow railway station. Some rooms do not have air conditioning. The price includes a modest breakfast, which takes place in a small cafe. Part of the interiors has not been overhauled since Soviet times. Free WiFi.
5  Guest house "Imperator"  , st. Bogucharovskaya, 2A. ☎ +7 (4872) 43-04-03. Single room from 3200 rubles, double room from 3500 rubles. A hotel on the northern outskirts of Tula with 44 rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a banquet hall. The guest house is named in honor of Emperor Alexander II, a bust has been erected on the territory of him. The claim to luxury is not justified because of the proximity of "royal" and "Soviet". Focused on business events and corporate parties, there is a restaurant. Free WiFi.
6  Sport Hotel, Lenina Avenue, 87 (entrance by car from Ageeva Street). ☎ +7 (4872) 52–77–33. Single room from 2600 rubles, double room - 3800 rubles. 26 air-conditioned rooms. The hotel is located under the stands of the stadium, which is why most rooms have low and sloping ceilings. Free WiFi. Breakfast is paid separately - 300 rubles.
7  Saturn Hotel, st. Oktyabrskaya, 24 (across the street from the Exotarium). ☎ +7 (4872) 70-01-00. Double room from 3100 rubles. 13 rooms, restaurant, bar, banquet hall, sauna. Free WiFi.

8  Hotel «SK Royal», st. Sovetskaya, 29 (across the road from the "White House"). ☎ +7 (800) 500-93-69. Double from 8000 rubles. The only five-star hotel in Tula. 150 rooms, restaurant, bar, fitness center and spa area. Good breakfast buffet. Free WiFi.
9  Hotel complex "Armenia", st. Sovetskaya, 47 (shopping center "Gostiny Dvor", entrance opposite the "White House"). ☎ +7 (4872) 25-06-00. Double room from 4000 rubles. Four-star hotel with 128 rooms, restaurant, bar, sauna, free guarded underground parking. There are rooms with a view of the Kremlin. Breakfast buffet. Free WiFi.



Finding free Wi-Fi in Tula is not difficult: in addition to cafes, restaurants and shopping malls, the city has a network of Beeline Wifi, Dom.ru and Rostelecom hot spots. Federal cellular operators confidently receive Internet at 4G speed.

3Main Post Office (Department No. 300000), ave. Lenina, 33. ☎ +7 (4872) 31-23-36, +7 (800) 200-58-88. Mon–Fri 8:00–22:00, Sat–Sun 9:00–17:00. The central post office near the Kremlin.



The surroundings of Tula are a picturesque forest-steppe, in which there are objects for every taste. If you are interested in temple architecture and wilderness, you should go to Venev, Belev or Odoev. There are interesting estates in Bogoroditsk and Polenovo, the latter built according to the designs of the artist himself, but the most famous estate in the Tula region is Yasnaya Polyana, which belonged to Leo Tolstoy, which is located just 10 km from Tula. A completely different facet of the Tula land is industrial cities with ensembles of Soviet architecture: Novomoskovsk, Uzlovaya, Lipki. The most beautiful natural places are located southeast of Tula: the famous Kulikovo Field, the Don Valley in the Epifan region and the Beautiful Sword in the vicinity of Efremov.

Novomoskovsk can serve as a base for trips to the eastern part of the Tula region. It is more convenient to view the west of the Tula region from Tula, since the regional centers for the most part do not have an acceptable infrastructure.

Having examined Tula, you can also go to neighboring regions, for example, to the exquisitely noble Kaluga or to Yelets, located in the north of the Lipetsk region, the most historical city of the Central Black Earth Region. Another obvious destination is Oryol, which recently received the title of the literary capital of Russia, along the way the famous estate of Turgenev, Spasskoye-Lutovinovo, is conveniently located.

1 "Bogucharovo" estate, Oktyabrsky, 1 (15 km north of Tula). ☎ +7 (4872) 72-67-41. Wed–Sun 10:00–17:00, break from 14:00 to 15:00. 100 rub. Museum-estate of the noble family of Khomyakov, to which Alexei Stepanovich Khomyakov, a Russian philosopher and publicist, one of the founders of Slavophilism, belonged. The manor house, outbuildings, the remains of a park with ponds, as well as the building of the Sretensky Church of 1840 in the classicist style, with an unusual bell tower, repeating the San Marco campaign in Venice, have survived to our time.
2  Museum "Moto-Auto-Art"  , Harino village, st. Orekhova, 1. ☎ +7 (905) 627-51-15. Tue–Sun 11:00–18:00. 500 rub. Private motorcycle museum next to the Tula bypass road on the M2 highway. The exposition presents more than 360 motorcycles and scooters of various brands and modifications, starting from the 1930s, including the Mini motorcycle, produced in a single copy. Most of the equipment of the museum is produced by Tulamashzavod, but there are also captured German motorcycles of 1939.



The city was founded at the confluence of the Tula River (later Tulka, Tulitsa) into the Upa. One of the early attempts to explain the origin of the toponym was the hypothesis of Vladimir Dahl. In his dictionary, he explained the word “Tula” as follows: “Tula is a secretive, inaccessible place, a backwater, a backwater for protection, shelter, or for imprisonment. The name of the city may have something to do with this.” Max Vasmer also agrees with this hypothesis.

Since the name of the river “Upa” is certainly Baltic (compare lit. ùpė, upìs, upỹs, Latvian. upe “river, stream”), its tributary Tula may also be of Baltic origin, as evidenced by a number of parallels in Lithuanian toponymy: Tule river, swamp Tulis, Tulyte field, Tulejos meadow, Tulia valley, etc. But at the same time, the hydronym “Tula” has similar parallels in the Finno-Ugric north of Russia: the Tula River (Vyatka basin), the Tuloksa River (Lake Ladoga basin), the Tula River and Lake Tulos (Karelia), Tuloma River (Kola Peninsula). One can also see the similarity of the hydronym “Tula” with the Turkic names: Tuv. tulaa “swamp”, “swamp”, hack. tul "fish", hack. Tula “swamp hummock”, Shorsk. Tula “to dam the water”, there is the Tula River (a tributary of the Ob, in Novosibirsk), which has its source in swamps.

The history of the syllable -*tul- (and its phonetic variants: syllables -*tal-/-*tol-/-*tl-) is traced by philologist Eliza Fedorovna Molina from the time of the Hittites, who had the word -*tul- - “well”. In the language of the Sumerian civilization, the syllable -*tul- meant “sea”. All of the above names from different language families, containing the protosyllable -*tul- (and its phonetic variants), are united by one common seme - “water” or some connection with water/liquid, that is, the oldest sound base -*tl-, acoustically conveying the concept of water and all related concepts.


History of Tula

Ancient history

Tula is one of the oldest cities in Russia. Since ancient times, this region was inhabited by the Slavic tribes of the Vyatichi. This is evidenced by the many mounds and settlements that have survived to this day. The Vyatichi did the same thing as many of their contemporaries: they cultivated the land, were engaged in crafts, and trade. During the first centuries of its existence, Tula was no different from other populated areas in this region. It was a small, fenced settlement - a fort, located on an island at the confluence of the Upa and Tulitsa rivers.

From the chronicle it follows that in the middle of the 12th century the settlement of Tula already existed. However, the date of its actual foundation remains unknown. The year 1146, as the date of the first mention of Tula in the Nikon Chronicle, was included in the city charter, which was approved by a citywide referendum. This date was also recognized by historians of the first half of the 19th century: Ivan Sakharov, Ivan Afremov, and even a follower of the critical school Nikolai Andreev. In 1996, Tula local historian Vyacheslav Bot also spoke out in defense of this date.

Despite this, the Nikon Chronicle was compiled in the 16th century and cannot serve as a complete basis for reconstructing the events of the 12th century. According to a number of historians, the mention of Tula under 1146 is a later insertion by a 16th-century chronicler, which is convincingly proven by the works of Arseny Nasonov, Boris Kloss, Vadim Egorov, Nikolai Fomin. But they do not deny the existence of some kind of settlement on the “old settlement”, which is mentioned in the scribe books, at the confluence of the Tulitsa River into the Upa. In his works, A. N. Nasonov assumed that this insertion into the chronicle was made in the interests of the Ryazan princes. However, Pavel Rusakov showed in his writings that in the story of 1146 the Ryazan prince was mentioned only once in passing, therefore, his interests could not be represented here. In addition, in the 20s of the 16th century, when the Nikon Chronicle was created, there were no longer independent Ryazan princes. Therefore, it most likely seems that these insertions and editorial edits were intended to substantiate with historical examples the claims of the Ryazan episcopal see to own the cities and lands of the Tula region. The bishops of Kolomna, as well as Sarsky and Podonsky laid claim to their possession.

The first reliable mention of Tula is contained in the contractual document of 1381 between the Grand Duke of Moscow Dmitry Ivanovich and the Grand Duke of Ryazan Oleg Ivanovich in connection with its belonging to the domain of Queen Taidula, where it was called a “place”, that is, a fairly large urban-type settlement, but without walls , that is, without the “city” itself. The historical dependence of Tula on the Ryazan principality makes it possible to assume that the foundation of Tula was conceived precisely by the appanage Ryazan princes, who erected an oak fort, or settlement, at the confluence of the Tulitsa with the Upa River. The settlement was intended for military guards, as well as for collecting tribute from the local Vyatichi, whose settlements were lost in dense forests. According to a number of researchers, Tula of the 14th-15th centuries was located in the basin of the Sinetulitsa River, where the Torkhov settlement is located. Many finds made there indicate the existence of an ancient Russian city on this site in the 14th century, which ceased to exist in the 15th century, and came to life again in the 16th century. The “old settlement” of Tula, mentioned in the chronicles, where the first wooden Kremlin was erected, is also associated by a number of researchers with the Torkhov settlement.


Strategic importance of Tula

The exceptionally important defensive significance of Tula was due to its location on the southern outskirts of the then Russian state, subject to raids by the Crimean Tatars. An important factor was the proximity to the Upper Oka, where at that time the border with Lithuania passed. This forced us to constantly worry about strengthening Tula as a key point of defense.

In 1503, Tula was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Moscow, and in 1514-1521, the “city of stones” was built there - a Kremlin on the left bank of the Upa River, which became the core of the developing city, the center of the abatis. In 1552, Tula withstood the siege of the 30,000-strong army of the Crimean Khan Devlet I Giray, who tried to prevent the troops of Tsar Ivan the Terrible from marching on Kazan. The defense of the city was led by the Tula voivode, Prince G.I. Temkin-Rostovsky.

In 1565, after Tsar Ivan the Terrible divided the Russian state into oprichnina and zemshchina, the city became part of the latter.

At the beginning of the 17th century, the city found itself in the thick of turbulent events and upheavals of the “Time of Troubles.” False Dmitry I, who captured Tula in 1605, expected the fall of Moscow here. In 1606, the small serving nobility rebelled against Tsar Vasily Shuisky in the city. In 1607, Tula was swept by an uprising led by Ivan Bolotnikov, at the end of which it became the main base of the rebels. In March 1607, they managed to defeat the troops of Prince Ivan Vorotynsky near Tula, but some time later a four-month siege of the city began (from June to October 1607). The tsarist troops stormed the walls of the Kremlin twenty times, firing at it from two sides, but, despite the superiority of forces, they were never able to take Tula. To speed up the surrender of the city, it was decided to create a flood by damming the Upa River. Hunger began in the defenders' camp, and cold weather set in. Vasily Shuisky was unable to suppress the uprising by force and resorted to deception, assuring Ivan Bolotnikov that the lives of the rebels would be spared. However, the tsar did not keep his promise; in March 1608, Bolotnikov was arrested and later executed. In 1608, a new False Dmitry (“Tushino thief”) appeared in Tula. In 1611-12, Tula people took part in the nationwide struggle against the Poles, which ended with the liberation of Moscow.


Weapons making in Tula

By the middle of the 17th century, when the fortified border of the Russian state moved south, Tula gradually transformed from a fortress city into a commercial and industrial center. The development of the city's traditional blacksmith craft was encouraged by Moscow sovereigns, who needed their own iron-making and gun industries.

The beginning of the state-owned gun business can be considered the year 1595, when Tsar Fyodor Ivanovich, having freed the Tula “self-made” blacksmiths from taxes and zemstvo duties, obliged them to produce state-owned weapons. The first ironworks were built by the Dutchman A.D. Vinius 15 versts from Tula, in the village of Torhovo on the Tulitsa River. Subsequently, the partners of A. Vinius, P. Marcelius and F. Akema opened new factories near Tula, producing not only military, but also household metal products. From the end of the 17th century, iron production in Tula passed into the hands of the enterprising and skillful gunsmith Nikita Demidov. Following Demidov, the Batashevs, Mosolovs and others created their own factories.

At the beginning of the 18th century, handicraft production of weapons was replaced by factory production. By decree of Peter I in 1712, the country's first state arms factory was built in Tula. Tula became a recognized center for the production of weapons and metal products, which were sold throughout Russia. Since 1797, Tula has been the center of the province.

During the Patriotic War of 1812, Tula made a significant contribution to the defeat of Napoleonic troops. It was determined not only by the supply of weapons (in 1812-14, the city's gunsmiths supplied the active army with 600 thousand guns), but also by active participation in hostilities as part of the regular army and people's militia. Tula militias fought across Europe, and entered Paris as part of the Russian army in March 1814.

After the end of the war, there was a decline in Tula arms factories, which led to the emergence of new types of production. Samovars and accordions, created by the hands of Tula craftsmen, quickly gained worldwide fame, and, along with the manufacture of weapons, for a long time determined the special specialization of Tula industry. Batashevsky samovars have become synonymous with samovars of the highest class.


Tula in the 19th—20th centuries

At the end of the 19th - beginning of the 20th centuries, new large enterprises of the metallurgical, metalworking, military and sugar industries appeared in Tula, which, together with the arms factory reconstructed in 1870-1873, stood on a par with the largest industrial enterprises in Russia. Simultaneously with the large-scale industry, handicraft industries also developed - hardware, samovar, harmonica, gingerbread production. In the settlement of Bolshie Gonchary, pottery was widespread in the production of Tula city toys. According to the 1912-1913 census, the number of samovar factories in Tula reached 50, with an annual output of 660 thousand samovars.

In 1898, a Social Democratic group arose in Tula, and in 1901, a committee of the RSDLP.

The overthrow of the tsarist government as a result of the February Revolution occurred on March 3 (16), 1917, later than in Petrograd and Moscow.

“Tula, 4-III - The popular uprising in Tula began yesterday afternoon. Workers from the arms and ammunition factories marched to the Kremlin with banners and songs, where a crowded rally took place. Then the demonstrators, numbering 30,000 people, joined by ordinary people and individual soldiers, went to the governor, where they demanded the release of political prisoners. The latter were released. The demand to release the soldiers from the guardhouse by the head of the garrison, General Banderovsky, was rejected. The people rushed to the barracks to raise the soldiers. Many military units immediately joined the rebels, and the arrested soldiers from the guardhouse were released. The capture of representatives of the old government began. Arrested today are: the commander of the militia corps, the head of the garrison, General Banderovsky, Governor Troinitsky, Vice-Governor Shenshin, Chief of Police Davydov, the head of the division, General Nikitin, and other commanders. The police are disarmed. The detective department was destroyed. The bailiffs, their assistants, the guards and many policemen were arrested and sent to the guardhouse. A Provisional Executive Committee was formed from representatives of workers, soldiers, cooperatives and other public organizations. The Council of Workers' Deputies was formed. Colonel Campioni was appointed head of the garrison. Almost all military units voluntarily joined the rebels. The order is exemplary. There was not a single shot, not a single casualty. The people's militia was organized. The Council of Workers' Deputies decided to continue work with redoubled energy and to suspend work only if events take a different turn."

Soviet power was established in Tula on December 7 (20), 1917. During the Civil War, the city was the center of armament for the Red Army.

During the Great Patriotic War, on October 25, 1941, German troops of General Guderian's 2nd Tank Army broke through to the distant approaches to Tula. From that day on, for 45 days, Tula was almost completely surrounded by siege (Tula defensive operation), subjected to artillery and mortar fire, and air raids by Nazi aircraft. The troops of the 50th Army (Lieutenant General I.V. Boldin), with the assistance of almost the entire population of Tula, heroically defended the city, and not only defended it, but also made an outstanding contribution to the victory in the Battle of Moscow, pinning down large enemy forces that were supposed to attack Moscow from the south. In December 1941, during the Tula offensive operation, under the blows of the Red Army, the enemy retreated: on December 8-10, the roads and railways connecting Tula with Moscow were cleared of Germans, and by the end of December 15, the last German units were driven back from Tula by 20-30 kilometers; the siege of Tula was lifted.

Already in December 1941, the restoration of Tula arms factories began, and in 1942 Tula again became one of the largest centers for the production of small arms for the Red Army.

On December 3, 1966, for the courage and fortitude shown by the defenders of Tula during the heroic defense of the city, which played an important role in the defeat of Nazi troops near Moscow during the Great Patriotic War, and for the successes achieved in the development of the national economy, the city of Tula was awarded the Order of Lenin. Ten years later, by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dated December 7, 1976, Tula was awarded the honorary title “Hero City” and awarded the “Gold Star” medal.

Nowadays, Tula is one of the major centers of industry and trade. The leading industries include ferrous metallurgy (NPO AK "Tulachermet", Kosogorsk Metallurgical Plant), mechanical engineering and metalworking (Combine Plant, Arms Plant, Instrument-Making Plant, Mining and Transport Engineering Plant, "Stamp").


Physiographic characteristics


The main water artery of Tula is the Upa River, the right tributary of the Oka. On the territory of the city, three tributaries flow into it: Tulitsa, Voronka and Bezhka. All the vegetation of Tula is planted artificially; the trees are dominated by linden, poplar, birch, maple, ash, oak, chestnut and larch. In the suburbs there are large forested areas, which are the remains of fences planted in the 16th and 17th centuries for strategic purposes.



Tula is located in the MSC time zone (Moscow time). The applied time offset relative to UTC is +3:00. In accordance with the applied time and geographic longitude, average solar noon in Tula occurs at 12:30.



The climate of Tula is moderate continental, with clearly defined seasons, characterized by warm, long summers and moderately cold winters with frequent thaws. According to observational data in the period 1981-2010, the average temperature in July is +19.1°C, in February -7.5°C. In recent decades, there has been a clearly visible trend towards warmer and milder winters. The average annual temperature in the city for the period 1981–2010 was +5.6°C. The annual precipitation rate is 500–700 mm, of which about 220 mm falls in summer, about 160 mm in autumn, and 120 and 110 mm in winter and spring, respectively. The main wind directions are southern, western and southwestern. Due to climate change prevailing throughout the world, the climate of Tula is also changing towards warming (on average over 20 years by 0.5 degrees), as can be seen in the tables below with climate norms. Normal atmospheric pressure for the Tula region is 740-742 mmHg.

The absolute temperature maximum was set in Tula on August 6, 2010, during a period of abnormal heat in central Russia, and amounted to +39.2°C.

The lowest temperature for the entire observation period was recorded in the city on January 17, 1940, amounting to −42°C.