Cathedral of the Ascension is a Russian
Orthodox Church in the historic center of Tver dedicated to
Ascension of Jesus Christ on the 40th day after his death on
the Cross from the
Mount Olive in
Jerusalem. It was originally
constructed as a wooden church in the late 16th century.
However it was burned down in the late 17th century by
Polish- Lithuanian invasion and Civil War that became known
in Russian history as the Troubled Times. New church of the
Ascension and Church of Epiphany was built here shortly
thereafter. In 1725 both churches were destroyed by a fire.
Current Baroque Cathedral was erected in 1760- 1768. Bell
Tower was added in 1805.
After Russian Revolution of 1917 Cathedral of
the Ascension was looted by Soviet government and finally
closed in 1935. Ironically it was re- opened in 1941 when
Tver was occupied by the German forces and assistance of a
puppet mayor Yasinskiy. Service was held by Bishop of
Kalinin (Soviet name for Tver) Basil (Ratmirov). After
liberation of the city in December of 1941 it was closed
again and turned into a museum of industrial achievements.
After collapse of Soviet Union in 1991 Cathedral was
returned to its rightful owners, Russian Orthodox Church. On
January 7th 1993 (Orthodox Christmas) the first Christian
service was held after half a century of being closed. Today
it is well known pilgrimage site since it carries relics of
the martyr Saint Thaddeus.