Malitsa Nicholas Monastery is a Russian medieval
Orthodox Monastery was found between 1584 and 1595. Although
today it is found within boundary of Tver in the ancient
times it was wilderness away from closest human settlements.
It is still surrounded by a pine forest, but it is shrinking
due to human activity. Most of original wooden abbey was
destroyed by a terrible fire that swept through a complex in
1675. The only thing that was preserved is a large icon of
Saint Nicholas along with saint Princes Boris and Gleb. The
next year restoration of Malitsa Nicholas Monastery have
begun largely due to donations of Gregory D. Ovtsyn. A five
dome cathedral was erected in the center of reborn
monastery. It was consecrated in honor of the icon of the
Virgin Protectress and Saint Nicholas. Subsequently cells
for monks were restored as well.
During World War II Malitsa Nicholas
Monastery buildings of Malitsa Nicholas Monastery were
almost completely destroyed. Restoration of this medieval
religious complex began only in the late 20th century and
early 21st century.