Volgoverkhovie, Russia


Volgoverkhovie or Volgoverkhovye (Volgino Verkhovye) is a village in the Ostashkovsky district of the Tver region, 42 kilometers north-west of Ostashkov. The village is known for the fact that next to it is the source of the Volga, it is an attractive place for tourists.



The main attraction of the village and the local natural monument is the source of the Volga. It is believed to be located in a swamp 250 meters from the village, at 228 meters above sea level. In the middle of the swamp, on a clean and deep "bog spring", there is a chapel connected to the shore by a wooden deck. In 1999, Patriarch Alexy II consecrated the source of the Volga.

The first monastery at the source of the Volga was founded as a male monastery (Volgoverkhovsky Transfiguration Monastery) in the middle of the 17th century. by decree of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. It existed until the beginning of the 18th century, gradually falling into decay. In 1724, after a big fire, it was abolished. A new revival of the monastery began in 1907 as a women's community in the Volgoverkhovye, which was assigned to the Vyshnevolotsk Kazan Convent. Soon (in the same year) the Olginsky community received the status of a monastery and became independent. In the 1920s the monastery was closed. In the 1960s, there was an attempt to create a historical and cultural reserve on its basis. In the 1990s, the monastery was returned to the diocese and renewed as a convent.

The first bridge across the Volga
The first bridge from the source across the Volga is located in the village. The bridge is wooden, about 2 m long, with handrails. Used for pedestrian traffic. The bridge at this place has been known since at least 1910, when it was captured in photographs by famous Russian photographers S.M. Prokudin-Gorsky and M.P.Dmitriev.

Not far from the first bridge over the Volga, there is a memorial stone erected on June 22, 1989. The inscription is carved on the stone:


Traveler! Turn your eyes to the source of the Volga! Here the purity and greatness of the Russian land is born. Here are the origins of the people's soul. Keep them safe. This stone was laid on June 22, 1989 for the living and future children of Russia. Look around when you leave.


The first dam across the Volga
The first dam from the source across the Volga is located in the village. The dam, built at the beginning of the 20th century by the Olginsky women's monastery, is a wooden structure with pedestrian traffic.