Volzhsky, Russia


Volzhsky is a city in the Volgograd region of Russia. The city forms an urban district, the city of Volzhsky. It is one of the largest industrial cities in the Lower Volga region, the second largest in the region and 60th in the list of cities in Russia. Population: 323.6 thousand people. (2019). Together with Volgograd, it forms the core of the Volgograd agglomeration, with a total population of 1.3-1.4 million people.

Volzhsky is located on the left bank of the Akhtuba River, 20 kilometers north-east of the center of Volgograd. The city is adjacent to the Traktorozavodsky District of Volgograd along the dam of the Volzhskaya HPP.



It arose in 1951 as a settlement during the construction of the Volzhskaya hydroelectric power station (at that time - "Stalingradskaya"). Since 1954 - the city of Volzhsky.



In the XIV century, one or several Golden Horde settlements existed on the site of the Volzhsky town. Detachments of Nogais, Kalmyks and Karakalpaks roamed here, not allowing the settled population to settle. Since 1634, the Kalmyks regularly made the Khan's headquarters in the vicinity of Montokhoy, in the area of ​​modern Kilyakovka crossing into the floodplain using the only sandy ford. Tsaritsyn's commandants tried to move the headquarters of the Kalmyk khans down the Akhtuba, which was done only after the death of Peter I.

Early attempts at sericulture in 1729-1756 (private of the Simbirsk merchant Dukhov) and in 1756-1764 (state-owned Astrakhan Garden Office) led to the organization of mulberry plantations and the settlement of the first two settlements in the upper Akhtuba by former fugitive peasants who received the status of state peasants.

Since 1757, on the site of the city (its southwestern part), there was the village of Bezrodnoye, also known as Verkhnyaya Akhtuba or Verkhne-Akhtubinsky town. The name of the village came from the runaway people who settled here - people without family. Although they were not Cossacks, they were also freedom-loving people. The founders of the village are the lieutenant of the Austrian Serbian-Slavonian Pandur regiment, located on the territory of the Hungarian crown, in the Russian service in a similar rank since 1748, since 1752 director of the Astrakhan Garden Office, major since 1759 Ivan Andreevich Porobich (Parobich), Serb by nationality , a great specialist in viticulture and lieutenant Ivan Eremeevich Tsypletev (1726-1797), later the commandant of Tsaritsyn, his brave defender from the troops of Pugachev. At the call of Parobich, the fugitives who had been living illegally among the Cossacks of the Tsaritsyn watch line for years earlier began to populate the bank of the Akhtuba River. However, silkworm specialists did not go to Akhtuba and the construction of the plant was frozen until better times. Under Catherine II in 1765-1766, a silk factory was built on the territory now occupied by the Volzhsky. In 1764, the territory of the plant was transferred from the Garden Office to the provincial chancellery, and in 1766 intensive construction of the plant began in the area of ​​modern upper Kilyakovka. The plant was closed in 1800.

The village was then located parallel to the Akhtuba River, from the current village of Rabochiy to the Loginov stadium. Further, to the area of ​​the river port, there were rare gardens, and villagers lived in separate yards.

By 1917, about 20 thousand people lived in the village.

The village was badly damaged during the Battle of Stalingrad.

As a settlement, the village of Bezrodnoye existed until the end of the 1950s, when the last of its inhabitants were relocated to the new buildings of Volzhsky.

Today, only a few buildings of ancient architecture remind of the village of Bezrodny. Among them there is an art gallery, or rather, the rural municipality government of the village of Bezrodny, built in 1881, and the former steam mill, built in 1911, which is located at st. Soviet, 2a.

Foundation of the city
The impetus for the foundation of a new settlement on the site of the village of Verkhnyaya Akhtuba was the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric power station. The head of the construction organization "Stalingradgidrostroy", which carried out this construction, was appointed Fedor Georgievich Loginov, who is considered the founder of the city. The builders were housed in the houses of the villagers. Construction management was also transferred from Stalingrad to this place. Later, Stalingradgidrostroy was renamed Volgogradgidrostroy. This construction organization carried out the development of the city, including industrial enterprises. Also "Volgogradgidrostroy" took part in the construction of a memorial complex on the Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd.

On the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric power station and the village, about 20 thousand prisoners of the Akhtuba forced labor camp (which was part of the Stalingradhydrostroy of the USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs; the camp lasted until May 1953) worked. The prisoners were involved in the construction of residential buildings, social and cultural facilities, water supply and sewerage systems on the left bank of the Volga.

On January 9, 1951, they began to dig a foundation pit for the foundation of the first stone house. Eight houses were completed by the end of the year. One of them has been converted into the Znamya cinema, the first in the city.

As a settlement Volzhsky was registered in 1952. At that time 10 thousand people lived in it. The first department store opened in June 1952. At the beginning of 1953, a bakery was built. In the summer of 1954, hospital buildings, a maternity hospital, and an infectious diseases building were opened.

On July 22, 1954, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR, the Volzhsky settlement was transformed into the Volzhsky city of regional subordination, in connection with the construction of the Stalingrad hydroelectric power station (1950-1961). This date is annually celebrated by the Volzhans as City Day. At that time, the population of the city was 30 thousand.

In January 1955, the second cinema, Energetik, was opened.

In March 1956 - the Volgogradgidrostroy Palace of Culture.


On August 1, 1955, the Central Stadium, which later received the name of the founder of the city, F. Loginov, began to receive athletes and spectators.

In June 2010, the anthem of the city of Volzhsky was approved (words and music by Evgeny Kryukov).