Yegoryevsk, Russia

Yegoryevsk is located in the eastern part of the Moscow region. A historical industrial city in the Meshcherskaya lowland with an attractive, integral and well-preserved center with interesting monuments of urban planning of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

It’s convenient to go to Yegoryevsk for one day from Moscow or make it part of a larger trip around Meshchera or the southeast of the Moscow region.



The central street of the city is Sovetskaya, formerly Moskovskaya. The central, historical part of the city, the most interesting for travelers is Sovetskaya Street with three consecutive squares and parallel to it K. Marx and Oktyabrskaya. Leave along Sovetskaya street further. Trade Union to the north and Ryazan to the south are hardly advisable.

Sovetskaya Square (Cathedral Square). central square of the city.



Egoryevsk is primarily remarkable for its preserved monuments of industrial, to a greater extent, and civil, to a lesser extent, architecture of the early 20th century, although many of them are abandoned and destroyed. This is one of the few cities close to Moscow where you can see promarchs in such numbers.

2  Ensemble of the Electromechanical School, st. Profsoyuznaya, 30-34.
3  Trinity Mariinsky Monastery, Vladimirskaya St., 2.
4  Khludov Factory.
5  Wooden factory building. A voluminous two-story wooden building with rich wood trim. The metal fence with rivets has also been preserved.

Sovetskaya Street is an integral ensemble of buildings of a provincial merchant town.
6  George Old Believer Cathedral, Karl Marx St., 44.
7  Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Alexander Nevsky Square, no. 1. The decision to build was made in 1877. In October 1897, the cathedral was consecrated.


Things to do

1  Egoryevsky Historical and Art Museum  , Sovetskaya St., 73/20. ✉ ☎ +7(49640)2-41-85. 10:00-17:00. 140 rubles, schoolchildren 70 rubles.
2  Egoryevsk Museum of Local Lore.
3  Sports Palace “Egoryevsk”, st. Sovetskaya, 176a. ☎ +7 (49640) 4-91-76, fax: +7 (49640) 3-26-44.


How to get there

By plane
Through Moscow, the nearest airport is Domodedovo (120 km).

By train
Yegoryevsk station is located on the Great Moscow Ring. Direct trains from Moscow (from the Kazansky station) go there, but quite rarely - 3 times a day, the journey takes 2 hours 45 minutes. A little more often you can get there with a transfer in Kurovskaya. If you want to leave Moscow by train, the most convenient option will most likely be to change to a bus in Voskresensk (88 km square).

According to the BMO: in the direction of Orekhovo-Zuevo, in any case, there will be a transfer at Kurovskaya, in the direction of Voskresensk you can leave by train on Sundays at 17:26.

Platform Yegoryevsk (Egoryevsk II) (Northwestern outskirts of the city). Please note that in all timetables the Yegoryevsk platform is called Yegoryevsk II; passenger trains do not call at the Yegoryevsk I station.

By bus
From Moscow - bus No. 325 from Kotelniki, the journey takes a little over 2 hours. Flights are approximately every half hour, the first bus from Moscow at 6:50, the last from Yegoryevsk at 19:00 (2017). There are buses to neighboring cities: often to Voskresensk and Kurovskaya, a little less often to Shatura, and even less often to Orekhovo-Zuevo and Kolomna. There are no direct buses towards the Ryazan region - you will have to either try to stop the ones passing by at the bypass, or look for unobvious connections in villages along the way.

Moscow buses mostly go to the bus station, although some of them then pass through the city center. Buses from other cities can pass through the city center - in this case there is no point in going to the station.

Bus station Yegoryevsk, Station Square, 1.

By car
The P105 highway of the same name leads from Moscow to Yegoryevsk; from the Moscow Ring Road to the city center it is 95 km. This is a rather narrow two-lane road with dense traffic, running through a strip of populated areas, while Yegoryevsk itself has a bypass. In Yegoryevsk it turns into Kasimovskoye and through a much less populated area it goes to Ryazan Meshchera: Spas-Klepiki (90 km), Tuma, Gus-Zhelezny and Kasimov itself (180 km).

The “second concrete road” A108 runs approximately 20 km north of the city.

Highway P115 leads to Kolomna (45 km), there are also local roads to Voskresensk (28 km) and Shatura (50 km).


Transport around the city

Bus transportation is carried out by transport convoy No. 1796 and by private entrepreneurs. There are many taxi parks operating on the territory of Yegoryevsk.



You can purchase some Yegoryevsk souvenirs at the museum or at the Soyuz-Print and Press kiosks.

1 “Forum” shopping center, Sovetskaya str., 157.
2  Grand shopping center.
3 “Golden Hive” shopping center.
4 “Egoryevsky Passage” shopping center.

Yegoryevsk is known for its Yegoryevsk sausage factory, which supplies cut sausages to all chain stores in Moscow and the region.

In addition to traditional farm and agricultural products from the surrounding area, in the city you can buy fresh or chilled fish from local fish farms on the river. Price One of these stores is located on Cathedral Square.



Fast food
McDonald's, Yegoryevsk, Lenina Avenue, 20 (located in the Grand shopping center).
Burger King, Sovetskaya street, 100 (Located on the main street, on the edge of the historical district opposite the Forum shopping center).

Tavern, Melangistov St., 2.
Armenian cuisine, Sovetskaya str., 100.
Snack bar “Meeting”, Sovestskaya St., 157.

Average cost
Pizzeria in the Sports Palace, Sovetskaya St., 176a.
Krasnaya Gorka, Kolomenskoye Highway, 1.
Karabas-Barabas, Sovetskaya St., 174.

Sushi cafe "Tokyo", st. Sovetskaya, 98.
“Black Pearl”, Sovetskaya St., 183.
"Olivia Pizza", st. Sovetskaya, 157.
Restaurant "Schwarz Kaiser".



At night the city is not active: there are few people on the streets, 1-2 24-hour shops and that’s all. The taxi is working. Buses run from 5-00 to 21-00.

Night clubs:
“Eden”, Ryazanskaya st., 69.
“Krasnaya Gorka”, Kolomenskoe highway, 1.



Hotel “Standard”, Ogorodnaya str., 10.

Average cost
Hotel "Egorievsk", Sovetskaya str., no. 126. Classic large Soviet hotel, convenient location in the city center
Hotel "Parthenon".

Hotel "Berezhki-Hall", Kasimovskoe highway, 35a.


Security questions

In general, the city has little crime. However, we must not forget about basic safety rules.



Geographical position

Located 80 km southeast of Moscow, in the Meshchera Lowland, on the Guslitsa River (a tributary of the Nerskaya).




Named in honor of St. Yegoriy, that is, St. George the Victorious. On the site of the city in the 16th century there was the village of Vysokoye, later renamed the village of Yegorie-Vysokoye (after the name of the parish church in honor of Yegorie). In 1778, the village became the city of Yegoryevsk.


History before the founding of the city. Village Vysokoe

The will of Moscow Prince Vasily the Dark dated 1462 mentions the village of Vysokoye. However, legend says that at the beginning of the 14th century, the Chernigov boyar Fyodor Byakont settled his people here. In the will of Ivan Kalita of 1328, there is a mention of the Guslitskaya volost on the territory of the modern urban district of Yegoryevsk. Since the 16th century, the village of Vysokoye received a different name - Georgievskoye.


Ryazan province

In 1778, a new city, Yegoryev, appeared on the map of the Russian Empire (the city suffix “sk” was absent in the original edition).

Catherine II, by decree of August 24 (September 4), 1778, ordered the opening of the Ryazan governorship (province) with 12 districts in December of the same year. Among others, Yegoryevsky district was named. In connection with this, the village of Vysokoye was transformed into the city of Yegoryev.

The new city was very small. In its 106 courtyards lived 280 male and 295 female souls. The bulk of the population were merchants and townspeople.

In 1779 the city received a coat of arms. In 1780, Catherine II approved the development plan for Yegoryevsk.

In 1796, Emperor Paul I abolished the Yegoryevsky district. Yegoryevsk was turned into a provincial town without any residents and quickly began to fall into disrepair. The lands of Yegoryevsky district were divided between Zaraisky and Ryazan districts approximately along the Tsna River.

In 1802, Emperor Alexander I restored Yegoryevsk as a district center.


First half of the 19th century

When the Yegoryevsky district was recreated, part of its former villages - Dedinovo, Lovetsy, Verkhniy and Nizhny Beloomut remained in the Zaraisky district. Local government bodies are being recreated. The mayor appears again. He becomes naval lieutenant Yakov Isaakovich Hannibal.

Yegoryevsk was famous for its annual fairs (grain trade). In the 19th century it was an important center of the Old Believers. In the same century it became the center of the weaving industry. In 1825, the merchant Kartsev built the first weaving factory. The paper spinning factory of the Khludov brothers has been operating since 1845. Its buildings have survived to this day, and the clock tower is a decoration of the city.


Second half of the 19th century. Bardygin's era

The impetus for development was the construction of a railway line to Yegoryevsk from Voskresensk (1869). By order of N.M. Bardygin (the head of the city from 1872 to 1901), the Moscow architect I.T. Baryutin rebuilt the Trinity Church of the Holy Trinity Convent and the house of the mayor himself in the city. The largest undertaking of Nikifor Mikhailovich Bardygin was the construction of a city water supply system in 1877.

Also in 1879, in honor of the next rescue of Alexander II after the sixth assassination attempt, the Alexander Nevsky Temple was built in the central part of the city.


Early 20th century

After Bardygin's death in 1901, Dmitry Vladimirovich Makariev became the mayor.

The son of Bardygin himself, Mikhail Nikiforovich, was elected to the Third State Duma in 1907 and was a member of the progressive faction.

During his time as a deputy, he built the “Museum of Russian Antiquity” (now the Historical and Art Museum), and also completed the construction of a school named after Tsarevich Alexei.

In 1904, in Yegoryevsk, after a series of strikes at the Khludov factories, the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party movement was formed, led by Grigory Konin.

On October 23, 1905, the Social Democrats staged a demonstration in the City Garden. Protesters organized pogroms of the houses of merchants and townspeople.

In 1910, with the arrest and death of Konin, the RSDLP ceased its activities in Yegoryevsk.



On March 3, 1917, newspapers reached the city with the news of the abdication of the Emperor and his brother.

The demonstrators were joined by soldiers of the 80th reserve infantry regiment, led by warrant officer Blagonravov. The regiment commander called on them to stop participating in the demonstration, for which he was killed by the soldiers. In March, a Provisional Committee was formed, consisting of cadets and Socialist Revolutionaries. On July 30, the former mayor of the city, Fyodor Khrenov, was killed. In August, City Mayor Nikita Nikitovich Khrenov was beaten and died from beatings. The Council of Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies was also organized, the majority of seats in which belonged to the Bolsheviks. Ostroumov was elected Chairman of the Council, Blagonravov was elected Deputy, and Yegor Vikulov was elected Secretary of the Council.

In the elections to the constituent assembly, out of 56,550 eligible to vote in the city and district, 30,135, or 53.29%, were won by the Socialist Revolutionaries (SRs). The Bolsheviks received 20,338 votes, or 35.97%.


As part of the Moscow region

In 1922, Yegoryevsky district was transferred to the Moscow province, and in 1929, the Moscow region was formed on the site of the Moscow province.


The Great Patriotic War

During the Great Patriotic War, Yegoryevsk was located in the rear. In the summer of 1941, a people's militia battalion was formed. Residents took part in the construction of defensive structures in the area of Voskresensk and Kolomna. 12 evacuation hospitals were deployed in the city. The city's enterprises produced various auxiliary products for military purposes: raincoats, skis, boxes for shells, masks for gas masks.

Based on the order of the NKO dated October 10, 1943, the 326th night bomber aviation division was formed at the Yegoryevsk airfield in the Moscow region. The division included 4 regiments armed with Po-2 biplanes. S.I. Fedulyev was appointed the first commander of the formation. Some of the flight personnel already had combat experience, but there were also many young pilots. Two and a half months were spent in hard combat training, and by the end of 1943 the formation was completed.

On March 31, 1944, at the city station, the NKVD authorities detained SD agent Alois Galfe, who had been thrown into the Soviet rear.


After the collapse of the USSR

In August 1991, Democratic Russia organized a Coordination Council in the city; some deputies of the State Council sided with the protesters, but other deputies announced a ban on all actions against the State Emergency Committee and cut off contact with Moscow. In the second half of August 21, a rally was held in the city against the actions of the State Emergency Committee.

On December 7, 2015, Yegoryevsk, until that moment a city of regional subordination, was classified as a city of regional subordination. Before this, the workers' village of Ryazanovsky was included in the city. The Yegoryevsky district as a municipal formation and administrative-territorial unit was also abolished, the city began to form the Yegoryevsk urban district (created on November 7, 2015). In 2017, the working village of Ryazanovsky was separated back into a separate settlement.