Yurino, Russia

Yurino (miner. Yӱrnӹ) is an urban-type settlement in Russia, the administrative center of the Yurinsky district of the Republic of Mari El. It forms the eponymous municipal formation Yurino with the status of an urban settlement as the only settlement in its composition.

Population - 2770 people. (2020).

The city is located on the left bank of the Volga (Cheboksary reservoir) at the mouth of the Vetluga. During the construction of the Cheboksary HPP, the settlement turned out to be below the flooding level. Currently protected by dams.

The village is located 198 km southwest of Yoshkar-Ola. The nearest railway station is located 80 km southeast of the village, in Cheboksary.



The first mention of the settlement is in 1227. It has been known as a village since 1721. The status of an urban-type settlement - since 1927.

Hero of the Soviet Union Pavel Aleksandrovich Tezikov was born in the village.



Sheremetev Castle (1880)

Sheremetev Castle is a palace and park ensemble in the village of Yurino of the Republic of Mari El, on the banks of the Volga. State budgetary institution of culture of the Republic of Mari El. It is an architectural monument of federal significance.

The history of the castle began in 1812, when the village of Yurino was bought by the richest landowner of the Nizhny Novgorod province, Vasily Sergeevich Sheremetev, the grand-nephew of Count Sheremetev, Field Marshal Peter I. Since that time, the construction of a new estate began, which continued under Sergei Vasilyevich Sheremetev. However, the main builders of the castle were Vasily Petrovich Sheremetev, his wife Olga Dmitrievna Sheremeteva (Skobeleva) and their son Pyotr Vasilyevich Sheremetev. The construction of the castle began in 1874 and was completed in 1915, a year before the death of Pyotr Vasilyevich.

The castle was partially built by 1880 according to the design of the German architect R. Müller in the late neo-Gothic style. Architects A. Stern, A. Parland, A. Korsh also participated in the development of the project. In the 1890s, the architect SK Rodionov worked on the building. From 1905 to 1914 the architect P.P. Malinovsky worked on the castle project.

The owners of the castle were Vasily Petrovich and Olga Dmitrievna Sheremetevs. O.D.Sheremeteva was the sister of the famous general M.D.Skobelev, who repeatedly visited them. The owners themselves collected in the castle a large collection of old firearms and edged weapons, including personal belongings belonging to Skobelev. In 1916, after the death of their son, who by that time owned the castle, the heirs left Yurin.

There are many rooms in the castle: "Picture Gallery", "East Study", "Oak Room", "Skobelevsky Hall". In addition to the palace, a stone fence and service buildings, parterre and landscape parks with ponds have been preserved. The total area of ​​the estate with the park is over 60 hectares.

After the revolution, the castle housed: a sanatorium, a rest house. During the Great Patriotic War, the castle housed a hospital and relatives of senior officials evacuated from Moscow.

The castle was visited by Vladimir Galaktionovich Korolenko, who described its sights, the artist Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky visited the castle.

In the 1990s, the interior of the castle was in a deplorable state. Visitors were greeted by peeling walls of completely empty rooms, which made a depressing impression on the few tourists. Currently, the castle is being restored, part of the building is used as a hotel complex. The Skobelev Readings are held annually in honor of the renowned commander of the Russian army. Since the beginning of the restoration, the castle is visited by about 20 thousand tourists a year.

Transport accessibility
Sheremetev Castle is located along highways 180 km from Cheboksary (including a ferry across the Volga), 198 km from Yoshkar-Ola, 240 km from Nizhny Novgorod; route taxis are connected with the last two cities. In the warm season, on weekends, a tourist motor ship runs along the Volga from Cheboksary - the distance along the river is 80 km.


Michael the Archangel Church (1889)

Timber and woodworking enterprises

Near Yurino, on the left bank of the Volga River, in the area where the Vetluga River flows into it, there is the Ust-Vetluzhsky (Yurinsky) burial ground - an archaeological monument, a Bronze Age soil burial ground of the Seima-Turbino type.