Zheleznogorsk, Russia



Restaurant, taverns and where to eat


Description of Zheleznogorsk

Zheleznodorsk - a city (since 1962) in the north-west of the Kursk region of Russia, the administrative center of the Zheleznogorsk district (since 1965). It is not part of the district, being a city of regional importance, forming a municipal entity Zheleznogorsk city with the status of a city district.


Zheleznogorsk was founded in 1957 as a working village Oktyabrsky, in connection with the development of the Mikhailovsky iron ore deposit of the Kursk Magnetic Anomaly. A large buckwheat field, located near the village of Chernyakovo, was chosen as the site for the construction of the city. On October 2, 1957, construction of the prefabricated houses of the settlement along the current Oktyabrskaya street began. By November 7, the first two two-apartment residential buildings were commissioned. On June 24, 1958, on the basis of the appeal of builders and miners, by decision No. 290 of the Kursk Regional Council of Workers' Deputies, the village of Oktyabrsky was renamed Zheleznogorsk. On September 28, 1961, the village of Chernyakovo, the settlements of Yermolaevsky and Chernyakovsky Gorki of the Razvetievsky Village Council were included in the line of the working settlement of Zheleznogorsk. In 1962, the village was given the status of a city, at that time it was inhabited by 16.5 thousand people.


Travel Destinations in Zheleznogorsk

Zheleznogorsk Museum of Local Lore (Lenin St., 56)
Mining Glory Museum
Museum of Nature; MKUDO "Station of young naturalists" Zheleznogorsk (Lenin St., 56)
Center for Contemporary Art "Chikory" (Rokossovsky Street)
Monument to Lenin V.I. (Administration Square, Lenina St., 52, sculptor - Plenkin B.A., architect - Litvyakov V.M., 1982)
Monument to the pioneer geologists (the area of the KC "Rus", sculptor - Ivannikov V. A., 2007)
Commemorative sign of the extraction of the first ore (the area of ​​ODKiT "MGOK", 1970, replaced in 2000)
Monument (high relief) to Nikitin (at the entrance to the city park of culture and recreation named after Nikitin, sculptor - Ivannikov V. A., 2012)
Bust to the first director of the plant Mitrofanov I.K.
Monument to the liquidators of the Chernobyl accident (square between microdistricts 7 and 11, sculptor - Postnikov L. N., 2016)
A memorial sign in honor of the Mikhailovsky partisan detachment (in the city park of culture and recreation named after Nikitin, sculptor - Bazilevich S. T., mid-1970s)
Memorial stele in honor of the 20th anniversary of the city of Zheleznogorsk (at the entrance to the city, sculptor - Zautrennikov M. M., 1977)
Bust of G. M. Dimitrov (Square of Soviet-Bulgarian Friendship, Dimitrova St., 1982)
Stela "Soldier's Glory" in the Square of Military Glory (author - Vasiliev V. A., 2005)
In May 2010, as part of the celebration of the 65th anniversary of the Victory, on the basis of a petition from the city council of veterans, a D-44-85 cannon was installed on the administration square. This is due to the fact that on the site of the current city, battles took place in the area of ​​the villages of Gavrilovka, Klishino, Khlynino, the village of Kholstinka, the villages of Volkovo and Ostapovo, and the settlement of Mikhailovka. Three Heroes of the Soviet Union lived in Zheleznogorsk: Razinkin S.A., Strekalov P.S. and Estin I.S., as evidenced by memorial plaques installed on the houses where the above-mentioned Heroes lived: st. Lenina, d.28; st. Enthusiastov, d.3/2; st. Dimitrova, 12.
Monument to soldiers-internationalists - "BMP-1" (in the park of soldiers-internationalists, 2011)
Signpost of Zheleznogorsk on the Moscow-Kyiv highway (authors - Sugovdz V.N., Polukhin N.)
Memorial sign (“Ladle”) in honor of MGOK on the Moscow-Kyiv highway (turn to Mining Administration) (authors - Polukhin N., Vorokhobin G., 1980)

Temple of All Saints Who Resplendent in the Russian Land (Dachny lane, 1a, rector - Archpriest Alexei Kalashnikov, founded in 1989)
Holy Trinity Church (rector - Priest Mikhail Yurochko)
Church of Xenia of Petersburg (in the Zheleznogorsk House of Veterans, Veteranov Ave., 10, rector - Priest Georgy Alekseenko)
Parish of the Church of the Resurrection (55/5, Mira Street, Rector — Archpriest Vladimir Terekhov)
Church of the Resurrection of Christ (under construction)
House church in honor of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos of the Zheleznogorsk diocesan administration (in the "Matis" complex)
Temple-chapel in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "The Tsaritsa" (Lenin St., 92/4, rector - Priest Sergei Matyshchuk)
Temple in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "The guarantor of sinners" (p. Khutorskoy, SMP, rector - Priest Konstantin Sokolov)
Temple in honor of St. Sergius of Radonezh (per. Avtolyubiteley, d. 7, under construction, rector - Svyatoslav Churkanov)
Chapel in honor of St. Nicholas (Central Market)
EX Church (11 Komintern St., pastor - Mikhail Vasilievich Dudenkov)
Church of the Baptist Church "Renaissance" (next to the Zheleznogorsk House of Veterans, pastor - Alexander Stepanovich Khnychev)
Church of the Council of Churches (street Kurskaya 52)

Gornyak Stadium
Stadium "Youth"
Pool "Neptune" (Oktyabrskaya st., 44)
Swimming pool "Albatross"
Sports complex JSC "Gotek"
Skating rink "Jubilee"
Sports and Health Complex "Start"
Military sports club "BU-DO"
Football club "Magnit" from 1999 to 2012 took part in the third division zone "Chernozemye" of the Russian Football Championship. In November 2012, it was announced that the management of MGOK OJSC intended to direct the funds allocated annually for the football team to other sports, due to the low number of fans at home matches. Because of this, FC Magnit refused to participate in the matches of the third division.



How to get here

By train
The Mikhailovsky Mine Station can be reached daily by long-distance train No. 141/142 Moscow-Lgov, as well as by local trains Orel-Mikhailovsky Mine, Orel-Komarichi and Lgov-1-Kievsky-Orel.

By car
The A142 highway passes through Zheleznogorsk.

By bus
Moscow-Sumy (Monday, Friday), Moscow-Kurchatov (daily), etc.

Transportation around the city
Buses and Shuttle Taxis (marshrutki)


Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

Cafe "Miracle Hive" (st. Lenin, 39)
Zhar Pizza (Mall "Evropa", second floor)



It is located in the north-west of the Kursk region, on the western outskirts of the Central Russian Upland, 90 km north-west of Kursk, on the border with the Oryol region, near the Mikhailovsky Rudnik railway station on the Orel-Lgov branch. The A142 highway passes through the city. Almost completely surrounded by the territory of the Zheleznogorsk district of the Kursk region, with the exception of the northern part, bordering on the Dmitrovsky district of the Oryol region.

The rivers Pogarshchina, Rechitsa, Ryasnik and Chern, which belong to the Svapa basin, flow through the territory of the urban district. On the territory of the city district there are several gardening associations and former villages that have lost the status of independent settlements.



In 1950, an iron ore deposit was discovered on the territory of the Mikhailovsky district of the Kursk region, confined to the Kursk magnetic anomaly. On August 3, 1957, the Council of Ministers of the USSR adopted a resolution on the construction of a mine in this place. To service the quarry under construction, the construction of a working settlement for 10 thousand inhabitants was begun. A large buckwheat field to the west of the village of Chernyakovo was chosen as a place for the construction of the village.

The founding date of Zheleznogorsk is October 2, 1957 - on this day, the construction of houses began on the current Oktyabrskaya Street. At first, the working settlement was called Oktyabrsky. On June 24, 1958, the Oktyabrsky settlement was renamed Zheleznogorsk.

On September 7, 1959, the Zheleznogorsk secondary school, the future Gymnasium No. 1, was opened.

On September 28, 1961, the village of Chernyakovo, the settlements of Ermolaevsky and Chernyakovskiye Gorki of the Rvevetevsky village council were included in the boundaries of the working settlement of Zheleznogorsk. On May 28, 1962, the village was given the status of a city, at that time 16.5 thousand people lived in it. On January 12, 1965, the Zheleznogorsk district was formed with the center in the city of Zheleznogorsk.

By 1970, more than 30 thousand people lived in the city, there were 5 schools.

In 2008, the settlements of Alekseevsky, Platonovsky, Khutorskoy, the villages of Trubicheno and Panino, the village of Luzhki, which were previously part of the urban district of Zheleznogorsk, were annexed to the city. In 2015, these settlements received the status of microdistricts of the city.

In 2017, the population of the city exceeded 100 thousand people.



The city-forming enterprise is OJSC Mikhailovsky GOK. Forms 71% of the city budget, which employs 30% of the city's population. It is the second in Russia in terms of production of iron ore raw materials. There are 20 industrial enterprises in the city, the largest of which are: "GOTEK", CJSC "ZZHBI-3" (production of building materials), CJSC "Zheleznogorsk brick factory".



8 secondary schools, 2 lyceums, 2 gymnasiums, 1 correctional school
Zheleznogorsk Mining and Metallurgical College (former technical school)
Zheleznogorsk Polytechnic College (former PU No. 16)
Zheleznogorsk Technical School of Service and Commerce (former PU No. 17)
Zheleznogorsk Vocational School No. 18
Zheleznogorsk Art College
Zheleznogorsk branch of the Modern Humanitarian Academy
Zheleznogorsk branch of the Southwestern State University (Kursk)
Zheleznogorsk branch of the Russian New University (RosKnow)
MOUDO "Zheleznogorsk children's art school"
MOUDO "Children's music and choral school named after G. Struve".
Municipal state institution of additional education "Station of young naturalists"
Municipal Institution of Culture "Zheleznogorsk Museum of Local Lore", Municipal Autonomous Institution of Culture "Cultural and Leisure Center "Rus" (branches - "Palace of Miners", "Art", "Zabava", "Gornitsa", "Alisa"), MOUDO "Art School folk crafts "Artel".

According to the Centralized Library System of Zheleznogorsk:
E. I. Nosov Central City Library
Children's library-theater "Golden Key"
Children's Library "Fairy Tale"
Library them. K. D. Vorobyova
Family Reading Library
Youth Library
Other libraries:

Technical Library



Medical care is provided by 2 hospitals, a maternity hospital, a narcological dispensary, 2 general polyclinics, 2 children's polyclinics, 2 children's hospitals, an outpatient clinic of the MGOK, a sanatorium "Gornyatsky", an ambulance station, a blood transfusion station. At the time of the founding of the city, when the population was about 20,000 people, there were 2 hospitals. Years later, the population has grown to 98,000 people (by 2022), and there are still two hospitals left. Zheleznogorsk, by right, is ranked among the worst of the single-industry towns in the field of healthcare.


Mass media

Online editions:
Zheleznogorsk information portal http://zhel.city/

Printed editions:
Weekly newspaper "Kursk Ruda"
TV and radio company "STV"
Radio "Iron FM"
Weekly newspaper "Zheleznogorsk News"
Weekly newspaper "Echo of the Week"
Weekly newspaper of free announcements "Making a Choice"
Weekly newspaper "Gorodskaya Gazeta"
Weekly newspaper "Zheleznogorsk panorama"
Weekly newspaper Zhelezka

92.8 Humor FM
95.8 Love Radio
96.9 Road radio
98.6 Radio Dacha
99.0 Iron FM
100.2 Europe Plus
100.6 Radio 7 on seven hills
101.9 Radio Chanson
102.7 Autoradio
103.2 Russian radio
105.2 Radio Course

A television:
25 TVK - DVB-T2 digital (1mp)
27 TVK - DVB-T2 digital (2mp)
TNT / TRK Zheleznogorsk
In 2022, the main print media "Echo of the Week" announced the cessation of publication of printed products, namely, the weekly newspaper "Echo of the Week".