Zvenigorod, Russia



Restaurant, taverns and where to eat


Description of Zvenigorod

Zvenigorod is a city (since 1781) in Russia, of regional subordination of the Moscow Region. It bears the honorary title "The town of military valor." Population - 22,513 people. (2018). The city is located on the banks of the Moscow River, 30 km west of Moscow, on the Klin-Dmitrov ridge of the Smolensk-Moscow Upland. This is one of the ancient cities of the region, with a large number of historical monuments of temple architecture.


Travel Destinations in Zvenigorod

Ascension Cathedral, built in 2006-2007 on the site of a classicism cathedral built in 1792, destroyed in the 1940s;
Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery
Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery, an active monastery with architecture of the 15th-17th centuries. In the Nativity Cathedral of the 15th century, there are frescoes and an iconostasis of the 17th century. Among other buildings are the chambers of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich and the so-called. Queen's chambers. On the territory of the monastery there is also the Zvenigorod Historical, Architectural and Art Museum;
Savvinsky Skete (1862);
Earthen ramparts of the Zvenigorod town;
Assumption Cathedral on Gorodok (turn of the 14th-15th centuries), a white-stone four-pillar church, typical of early Moscow architecture; inside the cathedral, murals by Andrey Rublev and Daniil Cherny have been preserved;
Temple of Alexander Nevsky, restored in the 1990s based on drawings and photographs of the early 20th century;
Church of the Nativity in Upper Posad (1805);
Manor church in Vvedensky;
Almshouse of the Ascension Church;
House of T. N. Kuptsov (on Moskovskaya Street);
House of T. N. Kuptsov (on Fabrichnov Street);
Zvenigorod children's library;
Zvenigorod Children's Music School S. I. Taneeva;
House of I. S. Dymov;
House of V. M. Drutsky-Sokolinsky (demolished in September 1992);
Workshop of the Kupriyanovs;
Museum of Russian Dessert, opened in 2013 by artist T. Feina;
House of the Smolins (Glukharevs);
Museum "BACK to the USSR", a private museum, opened in 2017;
County City Fashion Museum, a private museum, opened in 2018;
Park "Raspberry ravine";
In the vicinity of the city there are numerous estate complexes:
The estate Vvedenskoye, now it houses the sanatorium "Zvenigorod";
Dyutkovo (the house of the composer S. I. Taneyev);
Dunino (estate of M. M. Prishvin).


Sculpture and monuments

Monument to the fallen for the Motherland of Zvenigorod and the soldiers of the 5th Army of the Western Front in 1941-1945. with Eternal Flame. In front of the monument are busts of the Heroes of the Soviet Union: V. V. Fabrichnov and M. A. Pronin;
stele "Zvenigorod - a settlement of military prowess";
a monument to Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (in the square along Moskovskaya Street);
a bust of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (near the administration of the Zvenigorod Central City Hospital);
monument to Prince Yuri Dmitrovich Zvenigorodsky and St. Savva Storozhevsky (near the shopping center on Moskovskaya Street);
a monument to the Monk Savva Storozhevsky (near the walls of the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery);
bust of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (in the city park);
a bust of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (in the children's park on Sovetskaya Street) (currently 09.2015 only a pedestal remains);
stele to commissar Konstantin Ivanovich Makarov (at the intersection of Lenin and Makarov streets);
a bust of Karl Marx (on Moskovskaya street, in front of the Zvenigorod arena);
memorial "Glory to the Russian soldier" (on the central square in Yershov);
a bust of Viktor Vasilyevich Baburin (on the central square in Yershov);
bust of Vasily Vasilyevich Fabrichnov (at the entrance to the Yershov secondary school).



Zvenigorod Historical, Architectural and Art Museum.
Cultural center named after Lyubov Orlova.
House-Museum of S. I. Taneyev in Dyutkovo.
Zvenigorod centralized library system.
Zvenigorod Central City Hospital. A.P. Chekhov is a multidisciplinary medical institution.

The building of the polyclinic at the central city hospital began to be built back in 1984, and was completed only in 2003. However, the poorly built building very soon required a major overhaul. In the spring of 2011, after a major overhaul, the Zvenigorod polyclinic was reopened.

The Zvenigorod branch of the Moscow Regional Compulsory Medical Insurance Fund operates.

Not far from Zvenigorod there are several sanatoriums and boarding houses. Two of them bear the name of the city: this is the Zvenigorod sanatorium of the Moscow City Hall, located in the historical estate Vvedenskoye (general therapeutic profile), and the Zvenigorod sanatorium built in 1986, also near Vvedensky, of the First Moscow State Medical University. I. M. Sechenov (treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, genitourinary systems, musculoskeletal system, digestive organs, rehabilitation after injuries, balneotherapy, etc.).



The city is located on the banks of the Moskva River, 30 km west of Moscow, on the Klin-Dmitrov Ridge of the Smolensk-Moscow Upland.

Currently, Zvenigorod and its environs have become a popular resort and boarding region of the Central Russian zone.

The Moscow River and its tributaries flow through the city. Also in Zvenigorod there is a natural reserve "Valley of the Storozhka River". The picturesque surroundings of Zvenigorod were nicknamed "Russian Switzerland".



Zvenigorod Principality

Zvenigorod (in ancient times sometimes: Zvenigorod-Moscow) is one of the oldest cities in the Moscow region. Archaeological data indicate the presence of a fortified settlement on the site of the Zvenigorod town in the second half of the 12th - early 13th centuries. A number of studies state that Zvenigorod was founded in 1152 by Yuri Dolgoruky. According to B. A. Rybakov, Zvenigorod of the XII century was the northeastern outpost of the Chernigov Principality.

The first mention of Zvenigorod refers to the spiritual letter of the Moscow prince Ivan Danilovich Kalita in 1339: “And now I give to my son Ivan Zvenigorod”, and in the annals the first information about Zvenigorod appeared under 1382.

So the city became the center of the Zvenigorod specific principality (existed in 1339-1492) of Ivan Ivanovich, the son of Kalita. However, the first Zvenigorod princes lived in Moscow, and within the principality they built strongholds, kept a squad and tribute collectors.

The center of the urban settlement of the XIV century was the Kremlin on the western outskirts of the current city. Zvenigorod residents have long called this place Gorodok.

According to the will of Dmitry Donskoy (1389), the Zvenigorod specific principality went to his second son Yuri Dmitrievich, who turned Zvenigorod into the true capital of his possessions and lived here almost constantly until 1425. During the reign of Yuri Dmitrievich, the city experienced a heyday. A system of earthen ramparts was created around the Kremlin, along the crest of which there was a high wooden wall with towers; the remains of the ramparts have survived to this day. In 1398, Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery was founded by the Monk Savva not far from the city on Mount Storozhi. Around 1399, a white-stone Assumption Cathedral was erected in the center of Gorodok, and in 1405, a white-stone Nativity Cathedral was erected in the monastery. Written sources of the 15th-16th centuries speak of trade and customs officers in the city. The city developed despite its devastation by the Tatars in 1382 and 1408 (In 1382 it was burned by the Tatars of Tokhtamysh, and in 1408 the city was burned by the Tatars of Edigei).

After the death of Yuri in Moscow in 1434, Zvenigorod was received by his eldest son Vasily Kosoy, and after the death of the latter childless in 1448, Prince Vasily Yaroslavich of Borovsko-Serpukhov. In 1449-1454, the service prince Kasim Mukhammedovich and the village of Cherkasy Cossacks subordinate to him (Muslims brought by Kasim from the Caucasus Mountains and from the shores of the Tsemess Bay) lived in Zvenigorod.

Later, Zvenigorod was the lot of the son of Vasily the Dark Andrei Bolshoi, nicknamed "Grief", then the son of Ivan III Yuri Ivanovich, and, finally, under Ivan the Terrible, for a short time he was part of the lot of Vladimir Andreevich Staritsky; after the murder of the latter in 1568, Ivan the Terrible granted Zvenigorod to the Tatar prince Murtaza-Ali. However, Zvenigorod had sporadically complained to serving Tatar princes and princes before:
Qasim (1446-1452)
Abdul-Latif (1492-1497)
Dervish-Ali (1552-1554)
Simeon Kasaevich Tsar of Kazan (Yadigar-Mukhammed) (1554-1565)
Murtaza-Ali (Mikhail Kaibulin) (1569-1575).

In the XVI century, both fortresses of Zvenigorod - both the Kremlin and the monastery - gradually lose their military and political significance for the country due to the removal of its borders to the south and west.


Time of Troubles

In April 1605, False Dmitry I, on his way to the Moscow Kremlin, burned and devastated Zvenigorod Posad. One of the documents of those years says about the disaster: “They ruined the monastic villages, they took away the monastic state money and horses and all the monastic supplies and bread, and they robbed Abbot Isaiah and the brethren and burned them with fire.” Two years later, in 1607, the impostor False Dmitry II also made his way to the capital along the Moskva River. And again, Zvenigorod found itself on the path of the interventionists. This time the city was plundered more brutally. Here, False Dmitry II received an ambassador from V.I. Shuisky, who was at the head of the Russian state.

In 1618, the city was occupied by the Polish prince Vladislav.



The 17th century for Russia was the time of the birth of large-scale industry. In the 1630s and 1640s, the boyar Boris Morozov, tutor of the young Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, built several ironworks in Zvenigorod. After Morozov's death in 1661, his potash factories partly moved to the palace. Already at the end of the 1690s, the factories stood up, and were subsequently closed. The document of 1701 says: “The Zvenigorod factories, which the guest Vladimir Voronin kept, have become, and iron is not made on them.”

In 1650, it was ordered to make a "stone city near the entire structure", and 4 years later Zvenigorod was declared a fortress. In 1654, there were about 230 souls / yards in Zvenigorod (in Ruza - half as many, in Kashira - 70 people more).

In the 1660s, Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich chose the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery as his "own sovereign's pilgrimage." At that time, the main population of Zvenigorod lived in the suburbs. Nizhny Posad or Voznesenskaya Sloboda stretches along the Great Moscow Road. Under Alexei Mikhailovich, the now preserved architectural ensemble of the Savvin Monastery was erected around the ancient Nativity Cathedral, including the Trinity Church, the Refectory, the Belfry, the Tsar's Palace, the Tsaritsy's Chambers, the Fraternal Corps, walls and towers.

According to the 1678 census conducted under Fedor III, there were 28 households with 135 inhabitants. Upper Posad or Rozhdestvenskaya Sloboda had 26 yards and a little over a hundred inhabitants.

Under Princess Sophia in 1693, the Transfiguration Church appeared in the ensemble of the monastery.

In 1708, by decree of Peter I, the Moscow province was formed. In 1712, it was divided into several chief commandant provinces, including Zvenigorod. Nevertheless, already in 1719 the province was divided into 9 provinces. Zvenigorod with adjacent lands entered Moscow as a district. However, in 1726-1727. districts were eliminated. The provinces were subordinated to the governors, which increased the centralization of the local administrative apparatus.


County town

In 1781, Catherine II signed a decree on Zvenigorod, approving the draft coat of arms of the city: on the heraldic shield at the top is the symbol of the Moscow province of the military commander. George the Victorious, below the image of the bell; in the same year, Zvenigorod became the center of the county.

In 1784 the city received a regular layout.

Moscow district chief A. I. Tatishchev, marshal of the nobility of the Zvenigorod district as of December 1806.

In 1812, after Borodin, the Zvenigorod Affair took place in the vicinity of the city - a battle between a small Russian detachment that took a position near the walls of the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery and the army corps of Napoleon's army. The Russian detachment, delaying the French offensive for the whole day, retreated to Moscow.

After the occupation of the region by the French, partisans operated in the Zvenigorod villages. The cavalry unit of Major Figlev, consisting of militias and Cossacks, defeated French detachments near Zvenigorod in late September-October, taking many prisoners. On October 21, detachments of Figlev and Yesaul Gordeev liberated the city.

In 1830 the city hospital was opened. At the end of the century, Anton Pavlovich Chekhov worked there for two years as a doctor.

After the Great Reforms, manufactory in the landowners' estates fell into decay, agriculture in the county was abandoned due to the poor quality of the land. Gardening and handicrafts developed, primarily knitting, then the manufacture of furniture, toys, etc. One of the crafts of Zvenigorod became known throughout the country - this is the production of stringed musical instruments, initiated by the peasant of the village of Shikhovo Yemelyanov. From industry, at the end of the XIX century. in the county there were most of all cloth factories, then tanneries and brick factories and weaving factories. Industry provided food for 3%, handicrafts - 9% of the population of the county. The inhabitants of the city itself, numbering 4,000 people, were mainly engaged in gardening; in the city there was a district and parish school with 98 students and a zemstvo hospital. 520 rubles were spent on the maintenance of the district school, which was equal to the annual salary of 4 workers. In general, the city and county were among the least developed in the province.


Revolutionary years

The Bolsheviks seized power in Zvenigorod on November 16, 1917. A detachment of Red Army workers and soldiers from Pavlovskaya Sloboda entered the city without resistance and occupied administrative buildings, a post office and a telegraph office. Soon Konstantin Makarov arrived here with the mandate of food commissar. His detachment requisitioned bread from the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery, and at the same time tried to open the shrine with the relics of St. Savva Storozhevsky, which caused the "Zvenigorod rebellion" that occurred in May 1918. The participants in the rebellion killed Makarov and two other communists, but an armed detachment from Dedovsk, who soon approached, crushed the uprising.



In 1927, the "Second Labor Commune of the OGPU" was organized in Zvenigorod, a few years later it was transferred to Nikolo-Ugreshi.

In the Soviet period, the Zvenigorod cemetery was rolled out under the market, which is at the church of St. Alexander Nevsky (the church building of the 19th century survived, and in 1997 the temple was restored).

On April 30, 1932, radio broadcasting began to work on the territory where the Odintsovo district and Zvenigorod are now located. Now it is called "Radio Odintsov".

At the end of November 1941, the German troops, having taken Istra, came close to Zvenigorod. But already on December 3-5, 1941, the left-flank divisions of the 16th Army, in cooperation with the 5th Army, pushed back the German troops from the large bend of the river. Moscow northeast of Zvenigorod.


Post-soviet period

In 2003, several settlements were included in the city of Zvenigorod: the town of Blagodat, the village of Vvedenskoye (part), the village of Dyutkovo, the village of Lutsinsky Highway (4 km), the village of the subsidiary farm of the Porechie sanatorium, the village of the Zvenigorod sanatorium, the village of Dyutkovo station , the village of Shikhovo, which were previously under the administrative subordination of the city of Zvenigorod.

In 2005, during the reform of local self-government, the municipal formation "the city of Zvenigorod, Moscow Region" was endowed with the status of an urban district, it included one settlement - the city of Zvenigorod. In 2010, the city district boundaries were adjusted.

Until 2010, Zvenigorod had the status of a historical settlement, however, by Order of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation dated July 29, 2010 No. 418/339, the city was deprived of this status. Now the unique archaeological complex is being built up from all sides with high-rise residential areas: Vostochny, Yuzhny and Suponevo, as well as low-rise luxury housing.

In 2017, the city was awarded the honorary title of the Moscow region "Settlement of military prowess".

Initially, at the end of 2018, it was planned to merge the urban district of Zvenigorod with all urban and rural settlements of the Odintsovo municipal district into a new single municipality - Odintsovo (Odintsovo-Zvenigorodsky) urban district - by January 10, 2019, but later, in mid-December, according to the certificate " Novye Izvestia”, the issue was removed from the agenda of the Moscow Regional Duma, and on January 17, 2019, the bill was again posted on the website of the Moscow Regional Duma and at a meeting of the Duma was adopted in three readings at once and approved by law on January 25, 2019, which entered into force from February 5, 2019: from that moment on, Zvenigorod became part of the Odintsovo urban district. On April 9, 2019, the Odintsovo district as an administrative-territorial unit of the region is abolished, and instead of it, the city of regional subordination of Odintsovo is formed with an administrative territory with the city of Zvenigorod being reassigned to it.



How to get there
By plane
The closest airports to the city belong to the Moscow Aviation Hub.

By train
From the Belorussky station of Moscow to Zvenigorod there are electric trains (approximately once every 1.5 hours). Travel time - 1 h 20 min - 1 h 30 min. You can also take this train to Begovaya station (Begovaya metro station), Fili (Fili metro station) and Kuntsevo station (Kuntsevskaya metro station). The station Zvenigorod is located a few kilometers from the city. A city bus runs between the station, the city center and the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery. You can also get from Moscow by train to Golitsyno station (every 30 minutes, 40-50 minutes on the way), and then transfer to the bus to the center of Zvenigorod.

If you are coming from the side of Mozhaisk, then you need to get off at Golitsyno and take a train or bus to Zvenigorod.

Near the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery there is a platform 190 km of the Okruzhnaya railway. Electric trains run there extremely rarely, several times a day. If you do decide to use this platform, then learn the schedule in advance.

By car
There are three main routes from Moscow to Zvenigorod. The first is on Minsk highway to Golitsyno, where to turn to the Small Moscow ring. It will lead directly to Zvenigorod. There are a number of rail trips on this route, which can cause serious delays on the way. The second option is along Novorizhskoye Highway, and then turn onto the Small Moscow Ring (A107 in the direction of Minsk). The third option is along the Rublyovo-Uspenskoye Highway, in the Assumption River to cross the Moskva River and then go through Ubory to Zvenigorod. As of 2015, the fastest, hassle-free, option is the route along the Novorizhskoye highway.

By bus
Buses from Moscow run from the Kuntsevskaya metro station and from the Strogino metro station.

From the railway station Zvenigorod to the city center (Kinoteatr stop) buses 10, 11, 13, 23, 25, 51 run. Buses 23 and 51 also go to Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery.


Restaurant, taverns and where to eat

McDonalds, Zvenigorod, st. Moscow, 30.


Power and politics

In January 2003, Leonid Stavitsky was elected mayor of the city. His candidacy was supported by more than half of the voters. In 2007, he was re-elected for a second term, more than 80% of voters voted for Stavitsky. In March 2011, Stavitsky, nominated by the regional branch of the United Russia party, was re-elected for a third term. He won 58% of the votes (3693 people).



In Zvenigorod - production of stationery. Food industry. Branch of Odintsovo PATP JSC "Mostransavto". In the vicinity of the city there are numerous sanatoriums and rest houses, the biostation of Moscow State University. Tourism is developed.



Zvenigorod is located in the MSK time zone (Moscow time). The offset of the applicable time from UTC is +3:00.



Zvenigorod Central City Hospital. A.P. Chekhov is a multidisciplinary medical institution.

The building of the polyclinic at the central city hospital began to be built back in 1984, and was completed only in 2003. However, the poorly built building very soon required a major overhaul. In the spring of 2011, after a major overhaul, the Zvenigorod polyclinic was reopened.

The Zvenigorod branch of the Moscow Regional Compulsory Medical Insurance Fund operates.

Not far from Zvenigorod there are several sanatoriums and boarding houses. Two of them bear the name of the city: this is the Zvenigorod sanatorium of the Moscow City Hall, located in the historical estate Vvedenskoye (general therapeutic profile), and the Zvenigorod sanatorium built in 1986, also near Vvedensky, of the First Moscow State Medical University. I. M. Sechenov (treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, genitourinary systems, musculoskeletal system, digestive organs, rehabilitation after injuries, balneotherapy, etc.).



Palace of Sports "Zvezda" with a swimming pool, gyms and fencing halls. Children's gymnastic center "Grasshopper". Sports school multifunctional complex "Eaglet". Covered handball field. Sports and health club "Nadezhda".

Teams: Zvezda football club, Zvezda women's handball team (winner of the EHF Champions League 2007/08).


Mass media

City socio-political newspaper "Zvenigorodskiye Vedomosti", founded in 1991.
Territorial division
The city of Zvenigorod is territorially divided into microdistricts and two residential areas, which include three inner microdistricts each. From north to south: Suponevo; Mayakovsky quarter; Microdistrict Pronin; Pervomaisky; Dutkovo; Gull; Historical center of Zvenigorod; Vostochny (district) - consists of three microdistricts: Ignatievo, Vostochny, Microdistrict No. 3; Porechye; Upper Posad (district) - consists of three microdistricts: Upper Posad, Rakitnya, Zarechye; Forest; Shikhovo; Yuzhny - aka "microdistrict MK"; Vvedenskoye - includes the northern part of the village of Vvedenskoye, including the Gudovich estate.


People associated with Zvenigorod

Famous writers, artists and actors

The picturesque surroundings of Zvenigorod have attracted creative people since ancient times. At different times, artists lived and worked here: Isaac Levitan created his landscapes “The Last Snow” (1884) and “The Bridge” (1884), Maria Yakunchikova - the panel “Town” (1896)); composer-pianist Sergei Ivanovich Taneyev lived the last years of his life in the village of Dyutkovo.

Russian writer Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, after graduating from Moscow University, worked in Zvenigorod as a zemstvo doctor (1885) and after moving to Moscow he often came to the city. Here he drew images for his works.

According to historians, Chekhov changed his place of residence in Zvenigorod several times. It is believed that at the time when he replaced his colleague S.P. Uspensky, he lived in his apartment at the hospital on Lermontov Street, 10. Today this house is in private hands and has been rebuilt more than once over the years, having lost its historical appearance . Two memorial plaques tell about the stay of A.P. Chekhov here.

The hospital where the writer worked has been named after him since 1944.

Later, Soviet writers lived in the city: Mikhail Prishvin (who wrote his hunting stories and works about nature here), Vasily Yanchevetsky, the author of historical novels, lived in Zvenigorod for the last years of his life.

In 1971, on the streets of Zvenigorod, the shooting of the popular Soviet comedy film based on the stories of A.P. Chekhov “These different, different, different faces ...” took place, in which all 24 roles were played by People's Artist of the USSR Igor Ilyinsky.

Zvenigorod and its environs have repeatedly become a cinematic platform for Soviet and Russian films. According to some sources, starting from the 1930s, at least 150 films were shot on Zvenigorod land, 30 of which became widely known. Among them are Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky, War and Peace by Sergei Bondarchuk, Incredible Adventures of Italians in Russia by Eldar Ryazanov, Unknown Soldier by Anatoly Rybakov, Restless Sagittarius by Georgy Shengelia, and others.


Famous Natives

N. E. Guseva is a film actress who gained wide popularity after filming in the TV movie “Guest from the Future”.
G. Ya. Guskov - Soviet scientist, general designer of NPO Elas, Hero of Socialist Labor, (he spent his childhood in Zvenigorod).
MP Egorov - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Director of the Institute of Organic Chemistry. N. D. Zelinsky.
E. A. Murov - General of the Army, former director of the Federal Security Service (FSO of Russia).
L. P. Orlova is a Soviet theater and film actress, People's Artist of the USSR.
N. S. Sanina is a Soviet athlete, a seven-time national champion in rowing.