Abtenau is an Austrian market town in the Hallein district (State of Salzburg) with 5886 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020).



Parish Church of St. Blasius
In the eastern part of Abtenau is the parish church of St. Blasius, which is the main attraction of this village. It arose on the site where the chapel of St. Anne was previously located. Today the Abtenau parish numbers 5,200 Catholics living directly in Abtenau, as well as in Weitenau, Wallengwinkel and Scheffau am Tennengebirge.

The first written mention of the church in Abtenau dates back to 1191. In 1313, the building was rebuilt and acquired its modern shape. As a result of one of the many peasant wars that raged here at the beginning of the 16th century, the church of St. Blasius fell victim to a fire in 1525 - according to eyewitnesses, the building “became black as a hearth”. By a great accident, the fire spared the organ, installed just 7 years earlier, in 1518. Almost immediately, work began to restore the church, and already in 1540 it regained its former appearance.

The architectural style of the Abtenau temple is usually attributed to the late Gothic period, although some parts of the building were rebuilt during the Baroque period. The main altar is decorated with sculptures by master Simeon Friz. In the center is the figure of the Virgin Mary with the Child, surrounded by Saints Ruppert, Blasius and Maximilian.

The left altar is considered a symbol of brotherhood and is decorated with a painting by Simon Stock, painted in 1684, depicting a vision of Saint Teresa in which the Virgin Mary appeared to her. And the right one, also called the family one, is decorated with the image of the Holy Family at the moment when the angel persuades Joseph to heed the danger and run away with his wife and child.

The walls of the central tower in 1939 were decorated with frescoes on the theme of the Solomon's court, painted in 1540, and in the right wing of the church, a stone with an imprint of the Hand of God was embedded in the wall.



The location is mentioned for the first time in 1124 in a document from the St. Peter monastery in Salzburg, Appanouwa (to 'Aue') as a clearing in the until then largely uninhabited valley of the Lamara (already known as around 800). Archbishop Konrad I gave it to the abbots of St. Peter. As early as 1191 a church with a pastorate and full parish rights was documented (today's Blasius Church).

In 1507 Abtenau was raised to market by the sovereign Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach. In 1816 the place came with Salzburg to Austria. The liberation of the peasants in 1848 was followed by the formation of the local community in 1850.

In 1939, the districts of Wallingwinkl and Weitenau were separated from the market town of Abtenau and added to the community of Scheffau.

An intensive development into a two-season vacation spot began after the Second World War.



The municipality is located in the Lammertal in the Tennengau of the Salzburg region, about 45 km south of Salzburg.

The municipality covers the entire middle valley of the Lammer, from the narrow point at Wallingwinkl (above the Lammeröfen), with the lower Aubach as the border, to the narrow point at the Stümmelleitgraben between the Schober (1791 m above sea level) of the Tennengebirge and the Zwieselalm des Dachstein massif. The main settlement area is the Abtenau basin, the actual Abtenau corridor is on the Klausgraben, to the left south of the Lammer, on a plateau 100 meters above the Lammer.

In the north, the municipality extends to the main ridge of the Osterhorn group of the Salzburg Pre-Alps or the Salzkammergut Mountains, from the Gruberhorn (1732 m above sea level) to the Braunedlkogel (1894 m above sea level), including part of the Postalm region. In the south-west the entire north-east Tennengebirge belongs to it, up to the Scheiblingkogel (2289 m above sea level) and Bleikogel (2411 m above sea level). In the southeast, the Gosaukamm, the northwest foothills of the Dachstein massif, forms the state border with Upper Austria, the corner point is the Törleck (1618 m above sea level) at the Gablonzer Hütte. At the Rußbach in the direction of the Gschütt Pass, the border on the Walchenbach – Knablbach line lies in front of the Rußbach valley widening.