Kufstein is located on the green Inn and on the border with
Bavaria, the city is the second largest in the Austrian state of
Tyrol. Kufstein is known for its former fortress, world-famous for
the Kufstein song.
Kufstein lies in the wide valley floor of the Inn and on both sides of the river between the Kaiser Mountains in the east and the Brandenberger Alps in the west.
On the western bank of the river is the Zell district with the train station, which is part of the eastern center. On the east bank of the Inn lies the district of Kufstein-Zentrum, to the north of the center is Sparchen, and to the south of the center are Weissach and Endach. The urban area of Kufstein also includes Kufstein-Kaisertal im Kaisertal, Kufstein-Stadtberg, Mitterndorf, Morsbach, Thierberg.
The quite clear center of Kufstein is located directly below the northern part of the fortress: The old town is the narrow Römerhofgasse northwest of the festivals and directly on the banks of the Inn with restaurants, the well-known hotel "Auracher Löchel" and some smaller shops, it is considered the smallest old town in Austria. The lower town square on a steep hillside is the part north of the fortress and was the medieval center of the town. The upper town with the upper town square, the church of St. Vitus and the town hall is the higher part of the city center to the northeast of the fortress, from here you can also access the fortress area.
Numerous construction cranes in and around the city center, which are clearly visible from afar, testify to the current lively construction activity in Kufstein's city center.
Do you know the pearl, the pearl of Tyrol?
You probably know the town of Kufstein ...
The Kufstein song is one of the most famous folk tunes, the composer was Karl Ganzer (born April 15, 1920 in Brixlegg, † January 1, 1988 in Kufstein). After the Second World War, Ganzer made his way as a musician with his accordion in the Kufstein area, the Auracher Löchl was one of his main places of activity and the Kufstein song was initially created on a whim in a rather unsuitable four-eighth time.
The breakthrough came at the beginning of the 1960s with the recordings of the yodelling king Franzl Lang in the Schunkel-friendly three-quarter rhythm, other interpreters then included Maria and Margot Hellwig.
In the years 2005 to 2009 the melody, a music producer claimed the authorship of the yodel phonetics, was also part of a legal dispute over the lucrative exploitation. A court declared Karl Ganzer to be the sole poet and composer of the song, including the yodel, in the interests of his heirs.
On the front of the Tiroler Wirts- & Weinhaus Auracher Löchl there is a monument to Karl Ganzer, the title has been sold over 100 million times and made Kufstein world famous.
Holla-rä- di-ri, di-ri, di-ri .....
Small town chronicle
The oldest traces of settlement in the region are Ice Age arrowheads from the Kaisertal, the region in the Lower Inn Valley is subsequently always of high strategic importance as an easy access to the Alpine pass on the Brenner because of the Inn waterway and because of the land routes in the climatically favorable because protected alpine valley. A military road existed under the Romans.
After the end of Rome, the region was occupied by the Bajuvars in the 6th century. 788 was the year Kufstein was first mentioned as "Caofstein". The earliest evidence of a castle on the strategically favorable rock head directly on the banks of the Inn comes from the year 1205.
In 1310 the place was still a market, in 1393 Kufstein received city rights, and the city wall was built at this time.
Around the year 1180 the separation of Bavaria and Austria (Habsburg) took place, Kufstein became a border town, but initially still belonged to Bavaria and did not come to Tyrol until 1342 on the occasion of the wedding of Countess Margarete of Tyrol with the Bavarian duke son Ludwig the Brandenburger at the end of the marriage but in 1369 again Bavarian. As a result, Kufstein, as a border town, was again and again the focus of disputes between Bavaria and Tyrol / Austria: The fortress is expanded by the respective owner, but also repeatedly conquered by the enemy.
The border town of Kufstein benefited in peacetime as a transit and toll station for trade on rivers and roads, but the population suffered and impoverished in times of war as a result of sieges and shelling, and town fires in 1703 and 1809 resulted from the war In 1814 the city finally came to Austria.
In the middle of the 19th century, industrialization began with
the Kink cement works in Weissach.
The opening of the Kufstein – Innsbruck railway line in 1858 led to a further increase in through traffic and was also the beginning of tourism in the village, but at the same time the end of shipping on the Inn. The fortress, which was no longer cannon-proof, had already lost its military importance, now the city fortifications were also demolished and the city moats filled.
Towards the end of the Second World War, Kufstein also came under attack by the Allied troops, and numerous historic buildings were destroyed.
Today the city is the second largest in the state of Tyrol after Innsbruck. In addition to tourism, Kufstein is also the location for a university of applied sciences, industry and commerce, the most famous factory for winter sports enthusiasts is the ski manufacturer Kneissl.
The Kufstein Fortress sits in a strategically extremely favorable location on a rock head above the Inn, it was first mentioned in 1205 and expanded in various phases until 1522. This first castle belonged initially to the bishops of Regensburg and from 1313 to the Bavarian dukes.
In 1504 the Austrian Emperor Maximilian besieged and conquered the castle and turned it into a fortress safe from cannons. In 1703 and 1805 it could be conquered again by the Bavarians, from 1814 it was again Austrian.
From the beginning of the nineteenth century, the defenses were no longer able to cope with the firepower of the then modern artillery, and the fortress lost its strategic importance. It has been owned by the city of Kufstein since 1924.
You can visit the elements of the fortifications such as fortress batteries, barracks, casemates, the "Kaiserturm", the fortress fountain, etc. You also have a good view of the city's surroundings.
The Heldenorgan on the Neuhof fortress was installed in 1931, initially with 1,813 pipes and 26 registers and in 1971 expanded to 4,307 pipes and 46 registers, making it the largest outdoor organ in the world.
Guided tours: duration approx. 75 minutes, € 1.80;
Kufstein Fortress (fortress restaurant, event center), Oberer Stadtplatz 6, A-6330 Kufstein. Tel .: +43 (0) 5372 602-350. Open: Summer: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., winter 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Price: Adult fortress access: € 9.90.
St. Vitus: A previous church is already occupied around 788. The choir of today's church was built around 1390 to 1420, the three-aisled hall longhouse was built around 1500. In the 17th century, the interior was redesigned in Baroque style. The frescoes are by Rudolf Stolz (Bozen) and from 1929, some remains of the historical frescoes from 1420 are preserved behind the altar.
Pfarrplatz 2; Information at the parish
Dreifaltigkeitskirche, Pfarrplatz 1, A-6330 Kufstein. Built between 1500 and 1502 as a foundation of the Weinränntl family with a crypt chapel. The rococo canopy altar dates from 1765.
Pfarrplatz, next to St. Vitus;
Parish church St. Martin in the district of Zell: A church is already occupied between 650 and 680, the present church was built after expansion and additions to the previous church.
Parish church St. Josef in the Sparchen district: The basilica church was built in 1953/54 in the neo-Romanesque style.
Rathaus, Unterer Stadtplatz 20, A-6330 Kufstein: The building can be documented for the year 1502, but is probably even older. Also used as a school building and bread bank for the bakers. Extensively renovated between 1921 and 1924, the stepped gable with the coats of arms of the North and South Tyrolean cities also dates from this time.
Most of the medieval city fortifications were demolished in the 19th century, the remains that have survived are:
The ruins of the former water bastion, built between 1560 and 1563 and restored after severe disintegration in 2002, are the largest remnants of the city's former defenses.
Location: on the Inn promenade;
The southern corner tower of the city wall, also known as the "water tower" with the outlet gate from Römerhofgasse to the Inn.
Former Hotel Egger (today Stadtsparkasse), is considered the most beautiful Art Nouveau building in Tyrol, renovated in 1992. Location: Oberer Stadtplatz 1.
Thierberg ruins in the northeast of Kufstein on the 721 m high Thierberg. The castle was built around 1280 as the seat of the Lords of Freundsberg, and over time it has become a popular place of pilgrimage.
In the castle chapel there is a rococo altar with the altarpiece "Beheading of St. John", the chapel was the last hermitage in Tyrol.
The old castle keep was renovated and can be climbed, the view extends far into the Inn valley.
Boarding from Gasthaus Neuhaus
Andreas Hofer Monument: In 1926 the 3.5 m high monument for the legendary Tyrolean freedom fighter was erected on the Kufsteiner Kalvarienberg. The Calvary has a good view of the city and fortress and also has seven smaller prayer chapels.
List monument Kufstein: Located on the eastern edge of the forest of the town of Kufstein, there is the Friedrich List monument created by the Kufstein sculptor Norbert Pfretzschner in 1906. Built in memory of Friedrich List.
cast iron Marienbrunnen from 1863 on the lower town square.
Local history museum Kufstein, Kufstein Fortress, A-6330 Kufstein (on the Kufstein Fortress). Tel .: +43 (0) 664 351 85 51. Open: only in summer from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Price: Entry included in the entry to the fortress.
The museum shows the prehistory of the region and exhibits on local history such as folklore, traditional costumes and old handicrafts. The history of the castle and its sieges is also dealt with, and there is also the second largest bird collection in Tyrol and geological exhibits.
Sewing machine museum, Kinkstraße 16, A-6330 Kufstein. Open: daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Price: free entry, donation requested.
Josef Madersperger (* 1786 in Kufstein, † 1850 in Vienna) is considered to be the inventor of the sewing machine, and in 1810 he succeeded in producing a functional prototype.
The museum in Madersberger's birthplace shows insights into the life of the inventor, the development of the sewing machine and the change in clothing from luxury goods to mass products.
Madersberger experienced an inventor's fate: Since nobody wanted to take over series production, he gave his sewing machine away to the Polytechnic Institute in Vienna in 1839.
The nearest major international airport is Munich Airport: Munich (also "Franz Josef Strauss", 121 km, approx. A good hour's drive). From here, Lufthansa and its Star Alliance partners offer connections to cities in Germany, Europe and worldwide. As the second largest airport in Germany, it is connected to a growing number of cities.
Other quickly accessible airports are Innsbruck Airport (86 km, just under an hour's drive) and Salzburg Airport (104 km, an hour's drive);
The Kufstein-Langkampfen airfield (LOIK) on the east bank of the Inn is approved for gliders, motor gliders, ultralight and single-engine aircraft up to 2 tons.
Fliegerclub Kufstein-Langkampfen, Kufsteiner Str. 42, A-6336 Langkampfen. Tel .: +43 (0) 5372 63833.
Kufstein train station is on the Munich-Kufstein-Innsbruck railway line and is a stop for regional trains and ICE connections.
The train station is on the west side of the Inn and can be reached in a few minutes from the center on the east bank via an Inn bridge.
From the north (from Germany) via the A93 Rosenheim / Dreieck Inntal motorway to Kufstein (the German part of the Inntal motorway), symbol: AS Kufstein Nord.
From the south via the Austrian Inntal motorway A12 (Innsbruck - Kufstein (the Austrian part of the Inntal motorway), symbol: AS Kufstein Süd.
Attention: The 5 km long, previously toll-free section of the Inntal motorway from the German border near Kiefersfelden to the "Kufstein-Süd" motorway exit will also have a toll from December 1, 2013! (10-day vignette).
Parking spaces are indicated several times in Kufstein, the parking lot in the center is chargeable.
The Inn cycle path leads downriver to the Danube and there to the Danube cycle path, and upstream to the Tyrolean Oberland.