Donskoy Monastery was found in 1592. The legend
claims that a year before this site was the location of a camp
of Russian soldiers who defeated hordes of the Crimean khan Kaza
Giray. The camp had an icon of the Church of Our Lady of the
Don. Thus a monastery was named after the icon as Donskoy. In
1592 a cathedral was constructed and dedicated to Our Lady
Mother of Don. It became known as a Small Cathedral after a much
larger Great Cathedral was constructed in 1684- 98. By the late
17th century the monastery got defensive walls with 12 towers.
Donskoy Monastery is famous as a burial place of
the Moscow aristocracy. It is famous for the splendour of
decoration of gravestones. Some of the statues have protective
fences to keep away from the vandals.