Alexander Nevsky Lavra or Monastery was
constructed in the 18th century on a site of historic victory of
Russian medieval prince Alexander Nevsky over Swedish army in 1240. During medieval period this area was a far border of the
Novgorod Republic. Prince
Alexander Nevsky was hired to protect these lands against Swedish forces
that sailing up Neva river. Here they set a large military camp.
Novgorod Republic was caught by a surprise, but young Alexander Nevsky
decided not wait for mobilization of Novgorod residents. Instead he
attacked Swedish forces and dealt a decisive and fairly simple victory
on troops that were not prepared for a battle.
Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery) was built during rule
of Peter the Great shortly he established Saint Petersburg on the banks
of Neva. It was built in 1715 under supervision and design of architect
D. Trezini. Later a school was opened to local children of clergy that
later became the Theological Academy. Additionally there was a school
that restored old crafts including production of sophisticated jewelry,
icons, miniatures and many others. In 1797 Alexander Nevsky Monastery
received a status of Lavra. After the main church of the monastery was
consecrated, remains of Alexander Nevsky were moved here.
Alexander Nevsky Monastery complex contains several
cemeteries including Lazarevskoye, Tikhvin, Saint Nicholas and Cossack